Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cricut & SU cardstock

I am on my second Expression in a year. I bought my E last year and, after about 13 months, it stopped cutting through cardstock. I called ProvoCraft and they asked if it cut when I put my finger lightly on the blade cartridge. It did - at the point, the rep told me that the machine was not repairable and out of warranty but they would make a one-time adjustment for me and replace it.

They sent me a refurbished cricut. It's been working ok - I haven't used to too much yet. Today I am getting ready for a swap and have had trouble getting it to cut through SU cardstock. HOWEVER, if I lightly place my finger on the blade cartridge, it cuts perfectly. Sounds like history repeating itself, right?

My question is this: How many of you cut SU cardstock on your Cricut? Does it cut well for you?

Anyone else had problems like this? I love my E -- but sure wish it worked better! Or do I wish I hadn't bought 50+ cartridges and spent the money on a Silhouette....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 03:59 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default su cs and expression

I have had my expression for years, and 90%of the time i am cutting su card stock. I have my pressure on high, speed-depends and blade depth on 6. Make sure you have a new blade in. If that doesnt work, sorry- that's all I got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I like my E vey much. I mostly use only SU cardstock and it cuts fine. That being said, if there are real intricate cuts and very little shapes, then forget it. I have been thinking about a new Silhouette when it comes out, but I read in another thread that this person was told that the silhouette doesn't cut SU cardstock. Others say they have no problem using SU. Soemtimes I think it is just the luck of the draw! I also would hate to give up my numerous Cricut carts, but then when I first purchased the original Cricut, it was because I did not want to have to use a computer with it. I will not purchase a new 12 inch Silhouette until after it has been out for a while and I read all the reviews.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks -- I am thinking I've got a problem -- I have the speed low, pressure high and blade depth at 6. It used to cut SU cardstock -- and it doesn't. I'm bummed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

AboveRubiesStudio has a cutting guide for CS. They do include Stampin Up. Here's a link to the cutting guide: The Cricut Cutting Guide | Above Rubies Studio

I have talked with a lot of SU Demo's who are frustrated with the way the Cricut cuts out SU CS. I only have Whisper White in my collection. I bought that to color with. Looking at the CS it doesn't seem to be hard to cut. It's also a smooth CS and I have never seen the textured CS from SU.

Make sure you have the arrow on your blade facing the crevices on your blade holder. It makes a world of difference when cutting.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I no longer use Stampin' Up cardstock....I trashed it all. I found it didn't cut well in my Cricut or Expression. The cardstock is too dense and fibrous to cut well. Large and simple shapes can cut without too much trouble, but most images are not that kind (or at least those I use).

There is a person on the internet that does use Stampin' Up cardstock in her Expression but she puts all settings on highest and she also only cuts large shapes that have little or no intricate pieces. She seems to have no problem (at least what she shows on the videos she makes).

I now use American Crafts, Bazzill and a few other brands of cardstock. All work well for me with the Expression. I use medium settings for cutting my cardstock.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I never had a problem cutting SU cardstock - heck, if you can cut thin chipboard, you certainly should be able to cut SU cardstock, right?

I'm certain there is a problem with my cricut but I will doublecheck to make sure the arrows on the blade are facing the crevices in the blade holder. That's a new one on me! thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I only cut SU card or a thicker stardream pearl and have never had a problem cutting small or intricate in either. Admittedly I put the deep blade in when it was first launched and havent bothered changing back but I can't remember a problem with the original blades. I cut everything on fastest speed, maximum pressure and have the blade set to 6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 AM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 644 Likes on 451 Posts

I do not use the SU cardstock in my E, I have never been happy with the cuts. I love American crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

If you're needing to use the deep cut blade and or put all your settings on the highest setting just to cut Stampin' Up cardstock, then you are in the same boat as many of the rest of us. There is no reason you should need high settings to cut 80# cardstock. The issue is with the density of the Stampin' Up cardstock. Some people don't mind putting up with the issues. Personally I prefer to just use a different quality cardstock of the same weight and use lower settings with the standard blade. Less stress and wear on my machine.

Each person can do as they choose, that's why there is chocolate, vanilla and even coffee ice cream to choose from!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Patti, I cut everything on those settings even paper.. I'm too lazy to change them each time lol. 3 years with heavy use and even having uk voltage my E is still fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

wow so sorry you have had problems wiht the E. I've had myne for 3 years, and never had a problem with cutting SU paper. Until a couple of months ago I changed the blade but never have had a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

the one I do cut a lot with now is recollections paper you get at Michaels. I cut out some boxes yesterday and they came out perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes