Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about SU watercolor crayons

Okay, I'm still on the fence about buying the watercolor crayons. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that does NOT really like coloring with them? I've heard loads of people say they LOVE them ... however, are there any of you out there who do NOT prefer to use them? Can you tell me why you dont really like them ... do you prefer to color using another technique? Help me decide if I really should invest in these. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know if I'm really the type of responder you're looking for. I have them, and for the most part, I really like them. However, like anything else, I don't think they're perfect. One thing that I don't like is that the lighter colors, like the soft subtles and other lighter colors like caramel and bordering blue, are so light that it's sometimes hard to get any color to show at all. I also don't think that the greens in the soft subtles match the SU color quite as close as I'd like.

I bought my crayons when they sold all 48 colors together, and while this did save me some money, I almost would have preferred to buy them by color families like they're sold now. I would have liked the markers for the soft subtles instead, and the crayons for all the other color families. Hope I made sense.

Another thing you may want to do is to check out the tutorial spotlight section in the gallery. There are some techniques about using the crayons and you could check these out to see if this is something you'd like to try.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
One thing that I don't like is that the lighter colors, like the soft subtles and other lighter colors like caramel and bordering blue, are so light that it's sometimes hard to get any color to show at all.

There are some techniques about using the crayons and you could check these out to see if this is something you'd like to try.
I love the crayons but agree that whether you will really use them depends on how you use them and what you want to use them for. I have found that using the tip of my aqua painter directly on the end of the crayon works best for loading the color. This enables you to really saturate the brush tip with the lighter colors. I do have a tutorial using WWC on my blog here.

The fact that they are blendable and portable is another plus.
What I don't like - and this is pretty minor - it's harder to get a fine line of concentrated color the way you can with markers or pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Also probably not what you want to hear but I love mine.

I took them to my Inlaws this weekend and My MIL loves them. She has been looking for something to do that will not require perfect eyesight or tons of time and she really enjoyed coloring with them.

I agree about the lighter colors as well.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have them and have not had much luck with them. I am probably using to much water. They are all kinda pale when I use them. I like to use the ink from re-inkers or you can press the pad into the lid and use the ink from that to watercolor. I have much better results when I use ink instead of the crayons. I don't like the pencils either because once I color on the paper with them and try to watercolor them I end up with lines on the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I really like them too. I didnt use them forever because I havent invested in a aqua painter. But I bought a watercolor brush not to long ago and I have used them alot. Here is a card I made using SS, I colored directly on the paper and then used my watercolor brush to blend them.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=114581

The watercolor paper from SU is really a good thing to have too. If you need to use alot of water especially, it wont pill like regular cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Also probably not what you want to hear. I love the crayons and do not have the same problem with the crayons being too light. I sometimes use an aqua painter but also often use a water color brush, Here is a card where I used a combination of brush and markers.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=28204
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I've been making card for 3 years and have been able to do without them. Prismacolor pencils and gamsol blending is my fav coloring technique. Sometimes I do watercolor but use the dye ink out of the pad with a plain ole' watercolor brush
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Although the watercolour crayons aren't my #1 favourite medium for colouring (I'm a Tombow watercolouring fan), I am still very happy that I have them. They yield such a nice soft colouring, and finishes with this subtle waxy sheen that works really well with certain images. If I'm looking for more colour impact, I use an alternate method. I do find they are easy they are to use and usually just use either a blender pen or damp paintbrush on the end to pick up the colour. I'm not big on the aqua painter myself - I find I have much more control over the wetness with a damp paintbrush.

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

I love my wwc! I use a blender pen with them instead of the aquapainter. I found that the aquapainter saturates the paper and makes the color even lighter than it should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=jkstieber;8819996]I don't know if I'm really the type of responder you're looking for. I have them, and for the most part, I really like them. However, like anything else, I don't think they're perfect. One thing that I don't like is that the lighter colors, like the soft subtles and other lighter colors like caramel and bordering blue, are so light that it's sometimes hard to get any color to show at all. QUOTE]

I don't have the SU crayons just a set that I got at an art supply store but I have the same problem with the lighter colours. I also find that the reds and pinks are WAY more vibrant and go on darker than any of the other colours so use them very lightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Cindy, thanks for the tutorial. I guess I'd better get my WCC and place the case on my desk. My problem is if they are not in front of my face, I never get around to using them. I hadn't had much luck with makes the WCC look smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

A minority of one here, as usual! I have to say I'm not a big fan of the watercolor crayons, which probably has more to do with my technique (or lack thereof!) than the crayons themselves. I much prefer the results I get using Prismas/oms or even my re-inkers and a water brush. I can never get the WWC to blend just right. I prefer the "crisper" look that I get with my prismas or re-inkers.

Coletta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have the crayons and very rarely use them. None of them come out dark enough for me.

My normal coloring method is ink and water and brush (I don't even use those waterbrush thing).

I will say however, that you DO need to get the neutrals crayons because if you ever want to paint something black, using the ink will not work (it is too purpley) but the crayon is perfectly black; and it is nice to have the other shades of grey. The Neutral crayons are about the only ones I use.

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Other techniques

Does anyone know of any other interesting techniques to try using the WWC? As some of you have mentioned, I usually pick up my pencils or markers first. I would like to use my crayons more frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face an interesting use of SU wwc

a different use of wwc is to use them to colour on the rubber of the stamp. Lightly mist the stamp or huff (breathe heavily with the stamp close to your mouth) and then stamp. It is cool because you can colour any colour anywhere you like. But, as many others have already said, the pastels do not work well with this technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the WWC. I use them like cindybstampin most of the time. I must say I use the neutrals a lot. They are great for adding a shadow under or around an image, the ivory is great for that adorable little sheep in Pun Fun, the black is great on butterflies for some spots so the more colorful spots really pop. I use these to color more successfully than any other means. I get great results with Copics, but they are not for everything.

I have not had great success coloring with the ink pads, because of how the paper grabs the color and holds it fast. I need more leeway than that! With the WWC I have so much control. If I decide an hour after painting that something is a little too dark, I can still take that color off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #18  

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I am so glad to see this discussion still going on.
Here are just a few more tips:
If you get too much water flowing from your aqua painter - hold your piece of card stock up - as if it rests on an artists' easel and paint that way. The water cant' flow uphill.

Brown and blue mix to make black. Pale plum with a tiny bit of blue makes a nice silver!

Always begin with lighter tones, and build up to darker.

Play around! I do not claim to be an expert on watercolor (in the least!) but playing with them helped me feel confident. Almost makes me want to get those crayons out now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 12:53 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I have wwc, watercolor pencils and prismacolors. If I could make a suggestions: try out all three (and maybe copics too- I don't know, I haven't used these yet) and decide what works best for you. I tend to use pencils first, then prismacolors, then the crayons. I just find manipulating the pigment is easier for me with the pencils.

Good luck!
Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Blender Pens

Blender pens are the solution to using the lighter colored crayons. I load my blender pen directly on the flat end of the crayon and use on cardstock or watercolor paper. The trick is to start where you want to apply darker shading and move outward from there. Additionally, you can color on your paper directly with the crayon and then use the blender pen, which gives more saturated color.
It seems when we did our class blender pens looked better on cardstock and perhaps vellum, while the aqua painter did best on watercolor paper.

RoxieRenae
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Wink Use Less Water with your Pale Crayons.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
Okay, I'm still on the fence about buying the watercolor crayons. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that does NOT really like coloring with them? I've heard loads of people say they LOVE them ... however, are there any of you out there who do NOT prefer to use them? Can you tell me why you dont really like them ... do you prefer to color using another technique? Help me decide if I really should invest in these. Thanks!

So many say that the Pastel Colours are too pale but that is what I love about them - really I cannot understand why they say this! I couldn't be without my crayons and I have to say that if I could only buy one set I would choose the pale colours - they are the ones I return to again and again.

Can I say to those that say they are too pale that maybe you need to use less water and so use a more solid colour.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi everyone! So I did it, I bought them! I actually got an awesome deal buying a "used" set from someone that was advertising them in our local paper. I have been experimenting with them and I just cant seem to do anything right with them - I am finding them very frustrating! I'm sure its just a matter of practice, and I will continue to work at it. Thank you all for your advice and words.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Hi.... So pleased you have started on this new adventure with the crayons and I assure you in no time you will wonder how you managed without them.....

Further to my post recommending less water - what I actually do is to take a tissue and fold it 3 or 4 times making a thickness and then when I add water to my brush I first run the brush across the tissue making it almost dry before then loading the colour from the crayons, expecially the pastel colours and I find that they work wonderfully well.... Hopefully it will for you too....

Happy crafting from kbelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Hi,
Congrats on the crayons. I don't have the crayons, but I do have the watercolor pencils, which I wasn't using much until last week when I saw this 'webisode' (need flash & high-speed connection for the video, or they have a downloadable design guide):
http://sbl.tvweekly.com/player.php?6...e429dc6fbw1928

I loved the techniques she showed, and I bet if you play around a bit, you can use all the techniques with your crayons just as easily as the pencils. Hope that helps, and have fun!

Oh, P.S. - please give me a review once you've played with the crayons a bit...I'm trying to decide whether I need to purchase the crayons in addition to the pencils I already own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I love the subtle colors achieved by using the WWC. I no longer use an Aqua Painter with them because it is much easier for me to control the water with a fine brush. I like that each color has many hues with the addition or subtraction of water.
You can also do fabulous coloring with SU reinkers, but I am too lazy to drag them all out.
I too like my Prisma color pencils but to me they shout -- bright color. This is good for kid's cards or whatever, when you want or prefer bright color.

My personal preference is subtle.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I have used mine several times and I do like them. But the lighter colors can be light but I read something somewhere that you just keep adding more color and blend. This really helps me. I like a water color look and the crayons have helped me since I am a newbie!!!!

Good luck

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

this too is probably not what you want to here! I like them, but use them seldom. I also own all the ink refills, and dip my aquabrush into the ink refill bottle or lid. I've learned to get the same look as with the crayons and the refill bottles are just easier to reach for. Ink refill bottles are actually more versatile than the crayons...but of course a bigger investment.

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2008, 07:19 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

Thumbs up Watercolor crayons

I have the watercolor crayons and really like them. I use the bottom of the crayon to load my brush. I have also tried outlining the picture with the crayon directly then pull the color into the middle with the painter. I seem to get better colors that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

I'm another in the minority, I don't care for the crayons. I water color frequently and my all time fav is the Peerless Watercolor papers. If you have the Jan-Feb Rubber Stamper magazine, look at the letter to the editor on page 12 "Hooray for Watercolor". It explains why I really like them.

Although I really like the papers I still use pencils, pots if I can't find the color or make it, I'll use the crayons. I also use the artist tubes but only when I can get a real bargin.
Reply With Quote Likes