Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:27 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Layering dies with ⅛" borders?

I know Nestabilities offers a large and small set of shapes like squares and circles. Intermixing these is supposed to give you a ⅛" border. My oval sets must be "irregulars" because it just doesn't work.
Besides that, I really love some of the more interesting label shapes.
Does anyone know of a brand that produces ⅛" borders within one set? Especially in more interesting shapes than just circles or squares?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:46 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

My experience with the ovals is that they are not even graduations all around. They are closer on the sides and further apart on the ends.

The reason is probably that if you did nice 1/8 inch borders all around, the smaller ovals would be next to unusable because they would be so "tall and thin".

With the labels, to me they work well the way they are. I don't usually layer those with many layers anyway. So I can't help there, sorry.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Diane, that is how my ovals look as well. I thought it was just a bad set. I'd rather have an even border all the way around. The wider "ends" really bug me. And it was expensive to have to purchase two sets just to get that ⅛"...and it then it's not uniform! Ugh.
Thanks for your response. Saves me from buying another set hoping they would be different.��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the ovals are like that. All oval sets seem to be different too- some are long and thin, some wide and short. The Nesties Classic scalloped rectangle is the same- there is no small and large set, like there is with some,( Like Labels 4, or Octagons) and the gap at the ends of the rectangle is way wider than the gap at the width, so it looks odd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This really looks like a great oval set, and you get 7 dies:

Amazon.com: Sizzix Framelits Die Set 7PK - Ovals

There are also other shapes, like labels and circles.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,913 Likes on 2,182 Posts

With Nesties you have to make sure you have the right ovals for nesting. For instance if you have petite ovals small you would want petite ovals large and not classic ovals large for nesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This really looks like a great oval set, and you get 7 dies:

Amazon.com: Sizzix Framelits Die Set 7PK - Ovals

There are also other shapes, like labels and circles.
It certainly does have the even borders, or at least it looks like it does. But it is also an excellent illustration of what I was talking about...with the smallest die being really skinny compared to its length. But that's fine if that's what you want. There's a place for both.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
It certainly does have the even borders, or at least it looks like it does. But it is also an excellent illustration of what I was talking about...with the smallest die being really skinny compared to its length. But that's fine if that's what you want. There's a place for both.
I have the Spellbinders "fatter" ovals and just ordered this other set. I think I will use it quite a bit for sentiments.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

I think the explanation lies in the mathematics of ovals. Not that I remember enough geometry and algebra (or is that trig?) to understand it let alone explain it. As Fionna51 points out, the inner ovals are a different shape than the outer ovals. Circles don't have that problem because they are symmetrical.

I too would love to have some additional label dies to mix and match with my current labels for smaller borders. Especially label 8, my favorite.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have this set of oval dies from Nellie Snellen - they seem more even, and the nesting is a little tighter than some other sets.

Nellie Snellen's Multi Frame die - Straight Oval
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

The other non-Spellbinders shaped dies I have are from Quickutz/Lifestyle Dies, now owned by We R Memory Keepers...

Lifestyle Crafts Nesting Dies
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I think what I have seen, appearing as a 1/8 border on ovals and labels, etc. Is that the cardmaker cuts off the 'embossed' 1/8 border of the top layer diecut and die cuts another of the same size in a different color and layers them. I tried it once and it takes a very steady hand....and loses the Quick-card-making of using dies, but it's a pretty effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I should say "hand cuts the embossed 1/8 from the edge of top layer."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I agree. I have tracing discs and use them for layering anything from standard Nestabilities to fancy labels.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Harvest moon....that is a brilliant idea!
Catrick....are you able to cut out a shape then use the disc up against the edge of the paper? Or do you have to trace around the metal die itself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I think what I have seen, appearing as a 1/8 border on ovals and labels, etc. Is that the cardmaker cuts off the 'embossed' 1/8 border of the top layer diecut and die cuts another of the same size in a different color and layers them. I tried it once and it takes a very steady hand....and loses the Quick-card-making of using dies, but it's a pretty effect.
I've done a version of this technique. Let me see if I can explain it. If you look at a circle die, there are actually 3 sizes, the outside of the die, the inside of the die, and the die cutting line itself. I have traced around the outside of the die, hand cut this out, and then used the actual die cut for the inside layer.

You can also trace around the inside of the die, hand cut that out, and then die cut the next layer, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
I agree. I have tracing discs and use them for layering anything from standard Nestabilities to fancy labels.

Cathy
These look so neat. Thanks for posting about them. I just ordered a set and it's on its way! Only $5 including shipping.

And, Cobby, from what I can see about how these disks are used, you probably would need to use them against the die itself. I don't think they would work just using them against a cut piece of paper - they would slip.

Since Catrick actually has them, maybe she will tell us.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

I thought it was just a bad set. I'd rather have an even border all the way around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 11:59 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
Diane, that is how my ovals look as well. I thought it was just a bad set. I'd rather have an even border all the way around. The wider "ends" really bug me. And it was expensive to have to purchase two sets just to get that ⅛"...and it then it's not uniform! Ugh.
Thanks for your response. Saves me from buying another set hoping they would be different.��
Not only are the borders not even all the way around, for layering, the edges aren't even all the way around if you want to stack two or more of the same size or if you want to impress the inner margin of one to make a border of sorts. If you are stacking two, you must first mark the tops (or bottoms) of the ovals because they won't exactly match otherwise.

When you think about having bought two sets, for rectangles, circles, ovals and squares, so you could make frames or 1/8 inch layers, don't think about the $200 or so that cost you for relatively sloppy results.

I'm wondering if electronics, like Silhouette, cut precise layers and frames.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 04:18 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Bahb....I was wondering the same thing about electronic systems. I don't have one; just a Big Shot, and don't really have room for one. Not to mention the EXPENSE. I don't really want to spend that just to get even layers on ovals. After my oval Spellbinders didn't give me good results I stopped buying two sets of other shapes.
I have one circle set and a scalloped circles to layer behind, and two different label shapes. I didn't want to spend money on square or rectangle dies since I can cut those myself.

I don't use these die cuts A LOT....but when I do want them, it would be nice to get the results I thought I was paying for with the ovals.
My Mom has a set from Creative Memories of plastic circles and ovals; and three different cutting blades in little cartridges. You insert the blade cartridge into a groove on the plastic shape and basically trace the blade around by hand...on a cutting mat of course! It's a little awkward and certainly not as easy as running paper through my Big Shot but I can get a ⅛" border on an oval that way when I really want it.
I would just much rather use some nesting dies since it's faster and I keep the Big Shot out to use.

Last edited by cobby; 05-06-2015 at 04:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

I've done a version of this technique. Let me see if I can explain it. If you look at a circle die, there are actually 3 sizes, the outside of the die, the inside of the die, and the die cutting line itself. I have traced around the outside of the die, hand cut this out, and then used the actual die cut for the inside layer.

You can also trace around the inside of the die, hand cut that out, and then die cut the next layer, etc.
I've done this with a couple of the different label dies where I wanted a smaller border. You can save a little time by just cutting around the outside of the die with an Xacto knife. I've seen people do the inside with the knife as well, but I usually slip somewhere and cut into the shape that I'm trying to cut out, so if I want to use the inside size, I go with the pencil and cut with a scissors.

Re: the tracing discs. I have a set of these (from back when SU sold them) and have used them, and a piece of cardstock is thick enough to guide them, but it works best if you use some repositionable adhesive to hold the piece down while you trace around it. Also, your sharp corners will trace as rounded, but the discs work pretty well overall.

And re: the electronic cutters. I was lucky enough to get approval to buy a Cameo for work (for cutting stencils) and have had a chance to play with it - all in the name of better learning how to use it, of course The Cameo software (and I would imagine other electronic cutters are the same) has an offset function that lets you create a frame or border for a shape and it's very precise - I've done some to layer with layers a tenth of an inch difference in size, and they worked out great. I'll be honest, though, it's much quicker to run a die thru my bigshot than it is to run one shape thru the Cameo. Where the electronic cutter would be a huge timesaver is in cutting shapes for cards where I'm making like 3 dozen of the same thing (like for Christmas cards or invitations).
Reply With Quote Likes