Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Purple Tape, Mint Tape, etc., etc., etc.... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/purple-tape-mint-tape-etc-etc-etc-639711/)

ctychick 10-05-2021 11:40 AM

Purple Tape, Mint Tape, etc., etc., etc....

I float in and out of this hobby depending on what is happening in my life. Sometimes I'm gone for many months at a time and come back to a whole new crop of "must-have" tools that weren't around when I last stamped. I've had the removable "Purple Tape" on my shopping list for some time and now want to finally pick some up. I've come to find that, since I've been gone, there is now a "Mint" colored tape and other random varieties of tape used to temporarily hold down dies and other elements. I'm currently using the surgical tape that was recommended by Jennifer McGuire ages ago. I'm sure she has moved on from that by now. What do you all use and like? What are the differences between the brands offered today? Are there any budget-friendly alternatives that might not be found in the craft department? Thanks! :)

barney 10-06-2021 03:43 AM

I know how you feel. I bought painter's tape and it seemed to rip portions of my paper when I took it off, even when I tapped it on my clothes first. Plus, ink would sometimes squeak underneath, ruining my straight border. Then I bought the purple tape, and it sometimes does the same thing. Same with washi tape; got the same result with it sometimes taking off a small layer of paper. I just bought 3 rolls of mint tape when scrapbook.com had it on sale. I haven't tried it yet. If that doesn't work, then I'll try post-it notes or scotch removable tape.

javagirl984 10-06-2021 03:46 AM

I bought some purple tape and honestly I'm not impressed with it. It doesn't stick at all. My dies shift when I use it. So the very expensive purple tape didn't hold up to doing its one job it was created for. I believe the mint colored tape is just Scrapbook.com brand equivalent to the purple brand. I'm not sure of an alternative. Other tapes I tried (washi, masking, etc.) tend to damage my paper. I'd be curious to hear from others about alternatives.

fl_beachbum 10-06-2021 04:02 AM

I tried the purple tape and my only complaint is that it does tend to bring paper back up with it. But I admit I don't always stick it to my clothes first.

The mint tape works well for holding dies in place and doesn't grip so hard that it rips paper when removed. It also works well for masking and holding stencils in place.

fl_beachbum 10-06-2021 04:03 AM

Oh, meant to add that Jennifer M and several other crafters seem to be using a pink one lately. I don't know anything about that one... maybe someone can educate us on that one :)

lovinpaper 10-06-2021 05:13 AM

The Purple tape was a waste of money as it didn't hold anything. I think I purchased after some redesign. I bought a low tack tape from Amazon that I thought was like the yellow painters tape, but it was too sticky. It has left my craft room to be used for other things. I bought Mint tape. It use it, but it has tore my paper after my die was ran through the cutting machine a few times. The newest tape I am seeing is a Spellbinders one called Best Ever Craft Tape. There is also the Easy See Tape from Crafters Essentials that Simon Says Stamp is selling. I see that in videos a lot. I have no experience, so like the rest of you, I would like personal recommendations on these newer tapes.

I am looking at this Easy See Tape on Amazon. It seem to be made by Lee Products Company as is often labeled Highlighters Tape.

Cook22 10-06-2021 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984 (Post 22119378)
I bought some purple tape and honestly I'm not impressed with it. It doesn't stick at all. My dies shift when I use it. So the very expensive purple tape didn't hold up to doing its one job it was created for. I believe the mint colored tape is just Scrapbook.com brand equivalent to the purple brand. I'm not sure of an alternative. Other tapes I tried (washi, masking, etc.) tend to damage my paper. I'd be curious to hear from others about alternatives.

I use the Frog delicate painters' tape and have very few issues with it. It sticks well, very rarely ( maybe twice) has lifted any of the surface it was stuck to, and the roll seems to last forever. I originally bought from Amazon. Then it became available here in DIY stores and I bought a back-up roll which I still haven't opened.

pepperann 10-06-2021 06:21 AM

I don't care for the Purple Tape or their 'new and improved' version. It always tore my cardstock, no matter how careful I was with it.

I've been using the Mint Tape from scrapbook.com and have to say I'm much more impressed with it. I haven't had it tear my cs once and it holds my dies in place with ease. I've even reused it with no problem.

One thing I'll say, I have noticed that no matter what tape you use, it's best to tape down all along the edges of the stencil. In the beginning, I was using a couple small pieces and found it wouldn't stay in place at all. Now that I tape it all the way around, it works much better. Just my 0.02.

wavejumper 10-06-2021 06:56 AM

I noticed awhile ago that McGuire switched and was using washi tape to hold down dies. I use that and have no problem. I do stick it to me like 5x times though first and then stick it to the big shot handle to keep using it. I don't find my dies "wander" a lot, so just a bit of support does the trick. I mean for how many years were we die cutting with no tape? I still have the micropore she recommended. I may have some other kinds too but honestly I just run with the washi now. Cheaper ones are not so sticky.

I got pixie spray for stencils although I have not used it yet, I see it all over the place-esp good for stencils with delicate patterns-which I have a lot of. One of the problems IMHO about stencils and brushes...we come in from the side making circular motions. For me that causes the delicates to move or gets under edges. Many years ago I was taught to pounce stencils with a stiff bristle brushes. I did not like it because it always left a "dappled" look no matter how much I side pounced first. So I had switched to finger daubers which is still a straight up and down. That does not allow for color blending in a stencil well though and can leave circles or unevenness....

So I am hoping pixie spray is as good as they say.

I have seen Kristina Werner use a blue tape for edges all the time on WC paper when she is doing washes or all over blending...but she often does not keep that plain border so if it does tear it does not matter. She cuts the colored layer out with a die or a trimmer. But she does recommend when you pull the blue tape, you don't do it straight up but bend it back flat to the paper and gently pull to avoid tears.

HTH

cbet 10-06-2021 07:27 AM

I've tried painters tape, purple tape, washi tape, removable Scotch tape, the Easy-C stuff and the mint tape from Scrapbook.com, and the mint tape is my absolute favorite for holding down dies and masking. I haven't had it tear my cardstock, and I was cutting tags with a die the other day and cut at least 75 passes before I needed to change to a new piece of tape. The mint tape is different than the others - they are either similar to masking tape or to scotch tape, The mint tape is like a heavy adhesive paper. Absolutely love the stuff, and it goes on sale for 50% off fairly often. They now have it available in a 4" roll, which is really nice for masking as well.

from the heart 10-06-2021 08:43 AM

Scotch Brand

I have two tapes that are my go to. One is Spellbinders Best Ever craft tape. It is very gentle yet does a really good job holding dies in place. My other go to is Scotch Brand removeable tape. It is inexpensive and can be reused multiple times. Does a great job holding dies in place and I have never had it nor the Best Ever damage my cardstock. My number one is Scotch Brand (the blue plaid packaging). My reason: inexpensive; easy to find; can be reused many times over.

Bohodiva 10-06-2021 10:21 AM

I agree with "from the heart" when it comes to using Scotch removable tape.
When securing die cuts to paper I get the best results using Scotch removable tape every time. I've been using it for years and will continue to keep it in my stash. It's far more economical and gets the job done. In addition, I use post-it tape which works well however it's not as long (700 in/ 19 yds) compared to Scotch removal tape (1296 in/36 yds). Both tapes lift easily and clean without ripping paper nor does it leave a residue and can be used over and over multiple times before getting fresh pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Remova...dp/B001PMGBY6#

I also use Scotch Magic tape for holding down paper when working with wet mediums such as watercolors, and 3M painter's tape for securing my papers when working with acrylics.

After hearing all the raving reviews of the mint tape, I decided to give it a try..
I was very disappointed with it and consider it a waste of money. It rips the paper when removed, leaves a residue on paper and sticks to metal dies even when I tapped it on my clothes first.

susanbri 10-06-2021 02:31 PM

Thanks so much, Bohodiva, for doing that comparison test! I've always used Magic Tape to hold my dies in place, but I'll use it in future for masking off a border around a watercoloured image.

Pepita933 10-06-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaper (Post 22119402)
The Purple tape was a waste of money as it didn't hold anything. I think I purchased after some redesign. I bought a low tack tape from Amazon that I thought was like the yellow painters tape, but it was too sticky. It has left my craft room to be used for other things. I bought Mint tape. It use it, but it has tore my paper after my die was ran through the cutting machine a few times. The newest tape I am seeing is a Spellbinders one called Best Ever Craft Tape. There is also the Easy See Tape from Crafters Essentials that Simon Says Stamp is selling. I see that in videos a lot. I have no experience, so like the rest of you, I would like personal recommendations on these newer tapes.

I am looking at this Easy See Tape on Amazon. It seem to be made by Lee Products Company as is often labeled Highlighters Tape.

The Easy See is the tape many of the You Tubers are using. It works like the mint tape works. Not great for reuse. It has a very low tack, and seems ‘stiff’ or plastic after it goes through my die cutter.

Rebecca Ednie 10-07-2021 10:25 AM

I don’t love purple tape either. It gets stickier with use! And it did tear my paper. I use Washi, I have some old stuff by Queen and Co that is my fave. I get a lot of decorated snail mail by swapping on Swap-Bot so I take that off the envelopes and use that. It’s already been used so has the perfect amount of stick. I use it until it won’t hold anymore.

I’ve been looking into highlighter tape which is Easy-C but it’s too expensive in Canada on Amazon still. I have to check for it at Staples. It comes in at least 6 colours so you’ve probably seen quite a few crafters using it.

irie93 10-09-2021 11:12 AM

Scotch - Removable Tape 811

Scotch Removable Tape ¾’ by 1,296”. This is the most economical version of all the removable tapes I’ve found; it is not marketed as a craft item!!! DESCRIPTION: This tape features a matte finish and employs a unique adhesive that holds paper securely, yet is easy to remove or reposition--perfect for users who continually change their mind. The tape conveniently rolls smoothly and cuts easily. Plus, if you're inclined to labeling, this tape can be written on with pen, pencil or marker. But the convenience doesn't stop with the adhesive, the tape also resists splitting and tearing. It's photo safe and won't dry out or yellow. For situations where you need to temporarily post documents or papers, there really is no better choice. Designed for use in desktop dispensers.

darlenemcg 10-10-2021 10:33 AM

I use all the tapes mentioned and find the more tooth my paper has, the more likely it will tear. One tip I read somewhere was to pull from inside to outside instead of starting at the edge. I have 3x3 post it notes that are full stick which can be used to hold dies and mask.

browpr 10-12-2021 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctychick (Post 22119241)
I float in and out of this hobby depending on what is happening in my life. Sometimes I'm gone for many months at a time and come back to a whole new crop of "must-have" tools that weren't around when I last stamped. I've had the removable "Purple Tape" on my shopping list for some time and now want to finally pick some up. I've come to find that, since I've been gone, there is now a "Mint" colored tape and other random varieties of tape used to temporarily hold down dies and other elements. I'm currently using the surgical tape that was recommended by Jennifer McGuire ages ago. I'm sure she has moved on from that by now. What do you all use and like? What are the differences between the brands offered today? Are there any budget-friendly alternatives that might not be found in the craft department? Thanks! :)

The micro pore tape that you are currently using Its cheap and if I'm careful removing I seldom have paper rips.

Jevick 10-12-2021 08:15 AM

The purple tape was such a waste of money. Needless to say "hate" isn't a strong enough word for my feelings about it. The best I've ever used is the Scotch repositional tape and I've never had a single issue with it.

mzjohansen 10-12-2021 09:27 AM

+1 for Frog Tape Delicate Surface(Yellow) tape. Works well for me.

romomz 10-12-2021 10:24 AM

tape

I've tried most of the items you all mentioned. Right now I'm using medical tape. Have to rub off initially, but it seems to work OK. Haven't found anything "perfect" yet, but will just have to make adjustments as I go along. I will try the removable Scotch tape because I have a bunch of those. If it works good, then I've got enough to last until 2023. :)

dancingpurplecat 10-12-2021 11:05 AM

This is the ONLY tape I use now, it doesn't tear paper and I've used a single piece at least 40 times. https://designcreativebling.com/coll...e-5x720-purple

gg nurse 10-12-2021 11:05 AM

Never thought to use Scotch removable for dies & masking, so glad for the reviews! I was constantly frustrated until I read the tip to pull the tape totally flat on itself & go slow. Now I almost never have an issue with the original purple tape I still have & with painters tape. I do pat them on my skin several times first. I haven't had a problem with residue. I have found the Pixie Spray works well with intricate stencils & it seems to last for more than 1 use.

Stamping Servant 10-12-2021 11:24 AM

The Delicate Surface (Yellow container) Frogtape works well for me. I always tap the tape on my arm a time or two before using and I've never had it tear my paper. It holds well and can be used multiple times. The roll is large (60 yards) and has lasted me several years .... I still have half a roll left. I bought mine at Walmart in the paint department.

JeanetteRobertson 10-12-2021 01:39 PM

I use the yellow Frogtape when I'm inking, blending a particular area, etc., and I do stick it to the back of my hand or my arm before putting it on the paper. For holding my dies, I use Scotch brand removable tape. I've been using it for years now, and have no problem with it holding and you can reuse it over and over. However, it can pull ink up if you haven't made sure your ink is dry - Pigment Ink - so I tend to try to put it on the edge of the die and outside the image. Because if you reuse that piece, it can put the ink back on the paper on your next image!

#1Aunt 10-12-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbum (Post 22119389)
Oh, meant to add that Jennifer M and several other crafters seem to be using a pink one lately. I don't know anything about that one... maybe someone can educate us on that one :)

I just bought this pinkish-purple tape. I had bought the "original" purple tape and really liked it. I didn't like the replacement (the one with the flowers) at all! This new one is kind of like Scotch removable tape with a film of color on top. It does seem, to me, that it sticks well enough a couple or three times and I have not had it stick to the paper yet. I hope this helps someone. I know there is a lot to choose from out there.

I'm editing this to add that I have not tried using the tape more than two or three times yet. So, there is a good chance it will last longer. This is the same Easy See that others have mentioned.

MollyK333 10-12-2021 03:24 PM

Purple tape experience

I’ve used the purple tape successfully on the past; then bought some of the wider purple tape and it didn’t stick at all! Others had the same experience.
Now I have some melon-color painter’s tape and it tears on the first use but is fine after reusing it. I’ll try sticking it to my clothes first.

jephall 10-12-2021 06:49 PM

Mint tape

When I use tape, I use a low tack painters tape which has to be blotted on my clothes. As noted before second and third or more uses are less likely to tear the paper. I use mine until it falls apart. But my solution to the tape problem was to buy a magnetic platform. I love it. Sometimes I have to find a different position for the dies as they do occationally react to the magnet but they do stay in place. I only use tape with my SideKick. I have played with adding a strip of magnetic sheet to the plate. It worked like a shim but held the die in place. There were impressions from the dies left on it.

tawna21 10-14-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzjohansen (Post 22120759)

This is my favorite to use, also. And I can use a piece of it for what seems like a very long time before it just won't stick anymore. I find it at the hardware store.

tawna21 10-14-2021 04:48 PM

Yellow Frog Tape

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzjohansen (Post 22120759)

This is my favorite, also. I can use a piece of it for what seems like forever before it just won't stick anymore and it's very friendly when removing. I find it at the hardware store.

Bahb 10-16-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browpr (Post 22120736)
The micro pore tape that you are currently using Its cheap and if I'm careful removing I seldom have paper rips.

Therm-o-web used to be my favorite purple tape but they changed it this year and it is totally useless, no stick-um at all. I lucked into a painter's tape at Walmart, a bright blue, just the perfect tape to hold dies in place for cutting. I have another spool exactly the same color but it's permanently stuck to the die-cut. Thanks for the many good suggestions here!

#1Aunt 10-17-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bahb (Post 22121689)
Therm-o-web used to be my favorite purple tape but they changed it this year and it is totally useless, no stick-um at all. I lucked into a painter's tape at Walmart, a bright blue, just the perfect tape to hold dies in place for cutting. I have another spool exactly the same color but it's permanently stuck to the die-cut. Thanks for the many good suggestions here!

Bahb,

First, about the purple thermoweb tape, I couldn't agree with you more! Second, I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that you live in Prescott! I am in Dewey. I haven't used the private messages on SCS, but I would love to get in touch with you. Maybe we could chat and possibly meet up eventually. It's always so fun to meet another stamper who lives so close by! So, please get in touch with an email at [email protected] . I am looking forward to hearing from you!

cjzim 10-28-2021 06:18 AM

Like many of you commenting here, I've tried a LOT of different low-tack tapes. Currently most happy with the yellow Frog tape (I get it at the home improvement stores in the paint dept) for masking off areas to paint in. For holding dies in place I now use the rolls of Post-it tape. It comes on a dispenser so it's easy to use just a bit and can be used over and over. I get this through Amazon.
Neither of these have ever torn my paper.

romomz 10-28-2021 01:58 PM

Here's an update to my using the repositionable Scotch tape. IT WORKS GREAT! No tearing of the paper. It holds the dies and paper really well on the plates. Maybe I've finally found something that works. I received several rolls of it, so I'm out no $ if it fails. For now, it's working just fine.

Carriekap 05-04-2022 07:47 AM

Tape makes impression

Hi everyone. My problem is a little different. Often when I use almost any tape (even purple and mint), the tape that holds down the die makes an impression in the paper. If I’m using the paper as a card front with a shape cut out, for example, I really can’t use it. It has depressed rectangles in it that only become more obvious when I start ink blending. Any thoughts? Thanks!

romomz 05-04-2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carriekap (Post 22169948)
Hi everyone. My problem is a little different. Often when I use almost any tape (even purple and mint), the tape that holds down the die makes an impression in the paper. If I’m using the paper as a card front with a shape cut out, for example, I really can’t use it. It has depressed rectangles in it that only become more obvious when I start ink blending. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Well that's not good. Is it possible that your sandwich is too tight? Sometimes I get die impressions if it is, but I don't recall the tape doing that. I'm sorry I can't help you with this. If you tried the removable tape, as I mentioned, and get the same result then perhaps one of our craft buddies here has an answer. I think it would benefit us all, should the need arise.

Carriekap 05-04-2022 09:29 AM

I haven’t tried the removable Scotch tape, but I’ll look for it now. And your suggestion about the sandwich being too tight is intriguing. I’ll look into that, too. Thanks for your help!

#1Aunt 05-04-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Try making sure that you put the tape on the outside of the shape to tape it to the part you won't be using. You won't be able to use the negative die cut that way, but it will fix the immediate problem. The other thing I would suggest is to try thinner tape. This is a link to Lee's Highlighter tape on Amazon. It is pricey on Amazon, and it is almost just like Scotch removable tape. They are both thin and don't stick to the paper. Best of luck!

Carriekap 05-04-2022 10:54 AM

Thanks #1Aunt! I’ll check that one out, too. I appreciate the quick responses everyone!

Pepita933 05-04-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

I have used all those tapes, but honestly when I got an Empress machine the need for tape went away! The magnet mat does the job. I wish Gemini’s magnet mat really worked!
I love die cutting so this has really changed things for me.

Im with who ever said it earlier, check your sandwich. It sounds like it may be too tight.