Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Prisma's & Gamsol ?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/prismas-gamsol-233597/)

Missy 03-18-2007 10:54 AM

Prisma's & Gamsol ??

So, I got the prismacolor pencils, the gamsol, and the blending stumps. I did my homework, I studied it, and now I have tried it. I am not in love with it because of the "squeak" of the blender on the paper. I know this is a silly question, but is this how it sounds ? Am I doing something wrong ? I have issues with sandpaper, too. So, if this is how it sounds, I may have to give up this particular technique. I'm not too thrilled about it, becuase I really want to learn about it and practice it. Just curious, and help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mungojerry 03-18-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy
So, I got the prismacolor pencils, the gamsol, and the blending stumps. I did my homework, I studied it, and now I have tried it. I am not in love with it because of the "squeak" of the blender on the paper. I know this is a silly question, but is this how it sounds ? Am I doing something wrong ? I have issues with sandpaper, too. So, if this is how it sounds, I may have to give up this particular technique. I'm not too thrilled about it, becuase I really want to learn about it and practice it. Just curious, and help or advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I completely understand. I have some issues with certain products and really hate the stumps sound too, and the way it feels in my hand. (Sandpaper is okay for me but I can't stand having a popsicle stick hit my tongue.) There is another product called Fantastix. They come in a brush tip and a round-y tip. They are a little scratchy but I don't find them problematic because it's more like a marker sound. You just dip the tip in the oms. When you're done with that color, just rub it on scrap paper until it's clean. They weren't too expensive either. I don't have extensive magic colored pencil experience but have hope I can do it with the Fantastix.

al_silver2 03-18-2007 11:33 AM

Are your stumps from China or Taiwan? Apparently the China ones are quite hard...maybe causing squeaking? I have the Taiwan ones and no squeaking. I have used mainly SU vv or ww paper. I sharpen them on emory boards.

The MFT Lady 03-18-2007 12:05 PM

If the stumps are fresh, they do have a tendency to squeak until they get broken in. If you (or have someone else if the sound bugs you) take them and run the sandpaper over them a few times it should break them in enough so that there isn't a squeak any longer. When I am working with this coloring method, I file between colors which is usually a swipe or 2 to remove the color on the stump and sharpen the stump to prepare for my next color. This is just my method and there are others out there which are just as effective, I am just lazy and know I won't take the time to clean off my stumps between uses and don't want to keep a ton of them on my desk (like who has room anyway??) :)

Missy 03-18-2007 01:18 PM

Ok, mine are from China, so maybe I will try the ones from Taiwan. Funny story...I had my thumb over the words "Made in China", so I was reading at the bottom, and I thought, "Mine aren't from China or Taiwan. These are made in New Jersey!" Duh! Thanks a ton for your help and advice.

hotwheels 03-18-2007 01:36 PM

Excules me this is a dumb question but what is gamsol? Is it like chalk or powder or what? I have looked for the gamsol, but can't find it in the store at Hobby Lobby and Mchaels and joanns.
Thanks,
Hotwheels

Missy 03-18-2007 02:42 PM

Gamsol

Gamsol is a brand of odorless mineral spirits. It blends the color on your design.

parrothead 03-18-2007 02:50 PM

maybe you don't have enough gamsol on your stump? I love using this method and the only time I had squeaking I dipped it in the gamsol again...also are you using the side of the stump instead of point down? Also...I do sharpen mine with an emory board also.

kim 03-18-2007 03:08 PM

I don't think I hear any squeaking unless my stump is too dry.

Missy 03-18-2007 03:49 PM

Great tips

Ok, so blend with the side of the point and not the point itself ? If I understood that correctly, along with adding more Gamsol, it seemed to help quite a bit. I really appreciate it, because as I'm practicing more, I'm liking it more. Thank you so very much. I love this site.

beadfreak22 03-18-2007 04:09 PM

I know exactly what you mean. It makes shivers run up my spine. I can't stand it. Where do you find the stumps from Taiwan?

parrothead 03-18-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missy
Ok, so blend with the side of the point and not the point itself ? If I understood that correctly, along with adding more Gamsol, it seemed to help quite a bit. I really appreciate it, because as I'm practicing more, I'm liking it more. Thank you so very much. I love this site.

You got it girl!!! Side of the point and a little more gamsol!! Doesn't it look and SOUND better???? You're so welcome...Watercolor is my first love but when I'm in a hurry I grab the prismas and gamsol...great shading effects ...quick!!!

PH in VA 03-18-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheels
Excules me this is a dumb question but what is gamsol? Is it like chalk or powder or what? I have looked for the gamsol, but can't find it in the store at Hobby Lobby and Mchaels and joanns.
Thanks,
Hotwheels

Gamsol is one brand name for 100% odorless mineral spirits. It's a clear liquid that comes in a smallish (4 to 8 ounce) bottle. It's hard to find the Gamsol brand in stores, but you should be able to find either Houston Arts Mona Lisa brand or Winsor & Newton brand at the stores you mentioned. It would be in the same aisle as the fine-quality paints and paintbrushes.

parrothead 03-18-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VA
Gamsol is one brand name for 100% odorless mineral spirits. It's a clear liquid that comes in a smallish (4 to 8 ounce) bottle. It's hard to find the Gamsol brand in stores, but you should be able to find either Houston Arts Mona Lisa brand or Winsor & Newton brand at the stores you mentioned. It would be in the same aisle as the fine-quality paints and paintbrushes.

I buy my Gamsol in 32 oz.( quart) containers at Dick Blick. Can't remember what I paid.. I have given sooo much away to people and I've been using this for 2 years now! Definetly worth what I paid for it.

staramaze 03-19-2007 12:00 AM

Bad Stumps

Good Stumps

Gamsol

;)

dolphinprncss03 03-19-2007 01:06 AM

i found that www.inkyantics.com has great gamsol with the little felt tip on top of bottle..you can view it at there web site i listed

LovinTX 03-19-2007 04:52 AM

what kind of paper are you using? When I first started using this technique I used white c/s. I now use watercolor paper or fabriano medioevalis note cards. The color blends very easily on this paper. I barely have to use any pressure with the stumps...thus, no squeaking :)

skkirts 03-19-2007 06:21 PM

Gamsol in a plastic bottle?

:rolleyes: I thought gamsol needed to be kept in metal or glass because it's a solvent. Can I really store it in a small plastic bottle?
I need to transfer a small amount from my 16 oz tin so that it's handy on my desk but can be capped to avoid too much evaporation in between uses.
SharonK_MN

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphinprncss03
i found that www.inkyantics.com has great gamsol with the little felt tip on top of bottle..you can view it at there web site i listed