Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   prismacolors! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/prismacolors-151960/)

hannah's_mom 06-05-2006 04:47 AM

prismacolors!

I have finally decided to break down and buy the prismacolor pencils. I was just curious, which set did you get? I want to be able to have a nice selection without getting TOO much. I was looking at the 48 set, and just wanted to make sure that I would have enough colors, or if I should move up to the 72. Any opinions are welcome! Thanks!

dslocum 06-05-2006 05:00 AM

Jenn, buy the most you can. I bought the 24 just to try them out and see if I really would like using them. Should have bought more colors!!

Annek 06-05-2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dslocum
Jenn, buy the most you can. I bought the 24 just to try them out and see if I really would like using them. Should have bought more colors!!

I just bought the set of 24 too! I spent about a half hour last night sharpening them, can't wait to start a project soon!

I probably would have bought more, but the selection at Michael's wasn't the best.

Anne

mrslaird 06-05-2006 06:44 AM

I had the 48 set from a long time ago and just bought the 120 set. Michaels here doesn't carry the 120 set, but I had a 50% off coupon and went to Office Depot which does carry the big set. They honored my coupon and it was less than $60. That was the only way I could afford it right now. Someone else posted that they are coming out with a 132 set.
Have fun no matter what!
Paula

laurakj 06-05-2006 06:54 AM

Personally I would get the biggest set you can afford :) I bought the 48 set on eBay and now I wish I had more colors to work with. The 48 set doesn't come with ANY gray's, so that is quickly becoming a problem.

nadine529 06-05-2006 07:32 AM

I got the original 120 and the new 12 and I love them all! I would definitely at least get the 72. That is a pretty good selection of colors. :)

scrappinchick 06-05-2006 07:55 AM

I just got a great deal on EBay on the 48. Thats what I could afford right now, or else I would have gone for the 72 or the 120. I figured, I will see which colors I use the most, or which ones I need that are not in the 48, and eventually buy the individual colors at my local store. ;) HTH

Palapala 06-05-2006 08:14 AM

I say, get the most you can afford. I got the 72 set and now have an order in with Dick Blick.com to round off what I need to match all SU colors. My 72 set had about half the colors I needed to make SU.

Its amazing, I've got 72 colors, but keep thinking I need more! Won't have enough until I have them all!!

Sairabee 06-05-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale
I got the 120 on ebay for $50 plus shipping. Now I need to find the 12. Can't have an incomplete set. lol

I did the same thing. Though I started (back in 1994) with a set of 8 and only upgraded to 120 maybe two years ago! You can do a lot with those 8 colors if you're creative! lol!

basurok 06-05-2006 01:23 PM

I bought the 120 set brand new on Ebay for about $50 also...my set was actually older and contained the neon colors that were discontinued in 2005. The replacement colors for those were # 1080-1091. Several of those are matched to colors on the SU chart. There are going to be 12 new additional colors released for 2006 but my contact Pat does not have the info on those names/numbers yet. Just noticed that cj below has listed those #1092-1103. If anyone is interested in purchasing single pencils by number...you can get them reasonable from McCallister's Art Supplies ...been working with a lady named Pat. She is very nice and helpful.

cj nalley 06-05-2006 04:14 PM

Nectar PC1092
Seashell Pink PC1093
Sandbar Brown PC1094
Black Raspberry PC1095
Kelly Green PC1096
Moss Green PC1097
Artichoke PC1098
Espresso PC1099
China Blue PC1100
Denim Blue PC1101
Blue Lake PC1102
Caribbean Sea PC1103

teetlebug67 06-05-2006 06:44 PM

Are you guys buying the Premier Colored Prismas?

stamps&cars 06-05-2006 10:48 PM

you'll NEED the set of 120. I thought.......oh my!!......I'll never use that many greys. BUT with the shading taught in Princessink's tutorial you'll find that you will use many of the greys. I'd wait and save my money so I could get the 120 set instead of settling for less and then wanting more!

mrsmcmc41 06-07-2006 12:23 PM

I have an art store close to me that sells them individually as well as in sets... I bought 48 and am adding on as I need them. By the way I bought a great water color paper that really holds the color and makes the art much more vibrant...Sherry

stamps&cars 06-07-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teetlebug67
Are you guys buying the Premier Colored Prismas?

That is what my box says. I have also heard that they have redone the box and replaced the florescent colors with something else. I don't know what that box looks like.

jacobsmeemaw 06-07-2006 02:33 PM

I think it has a crazy looking face on it. I bough the 24 and now am going to look for the larger set. I miss the greys.

scrapinrose 07-15-2006 06:55 PM

I did buy my first set of 12 and then another, then at my art supply store,
Herwicks in San Antonio, Texas, I would them individual for $1.25 per pencil.
I was able to add just the colors I wanted!:)

kphorse 07-16-2006 09:47 AM

Find the color match chart here on SCS (if you can't find it,e-mail me and I will e-mail it to you) and then go to www.dickblick.com and go to Prismascolor pencils. His chart comes up with the colors so you can get a look.

Get the biggest set you can and then add the colors for SU that you are missing and the other colors you want.

This is how I did it and I'm still getting a few here and there as I see something I want. Right now DB price on the single pencils is $ .92 each, the 48 set is $42.90, the 72 set is $56.64 and the 120 set is $82.39. This should give you a good idea to find the best sale prices.

If you order any singles from DB or a set, he carries Gamsol also! Get it all in one order and save on the shiiping costs.

HTH

Karen

nwier 07-19-2006 08:22 PM

In art stores (as opposed to craft stores) you can buy single prismacolor pencils, thus getting whatever color you need. I have seen a chart , I think on SCS, that compares prisma pencils with Stampin Up! colors. I plan to get mine by color family, adding whatever neutrals and toners I like.

cutiepatutie 07-20-2006 05:33 AM

Hi,
when I search for prismacolors, there are many different types. Which are you'all referring to here? Watercolor pencils or just color pencils??

j

Palapala 07-20-2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutie
Hi,
when I search for prismacolors, there are many different types. Which are you'all referring to here? Watercolor pencils or just color pencils??

j

You want to purchase the Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils which are artist quality. Some say the less expensive colored pencils (not Watercolor) work with the Gamsol, but I tried my cheap ones and hated it. the Prismacolor Premier are the way to go for awesome color intensity. HTH

Waldsb651 07-20-2006 11:30 AM

If possible, go for the largest set you can buy. I bought the 120 and can't wait to get the new colors. I never dreamed I would use that many different colors, but I am finding that I am using more and more. I am a real "art dummy" and can't draw a straight line with a ruler, but I am finding that I can color and shade pretty good. Go for at least the 72, and if possible, the 120. You won't regret it.

Geneal 07-20-2006 11:34 AM

I bought the 72 pkg., so far it is sufficient. I'd imagine that as I get more proficient I might want to upgrade. Do what your budget allows.

stamps&cars 07-20-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutie
Hi,

j

You'll want the colored pencils. I purchased the 120 set from Viking a little over a year ago and wondered if I would ever use all 120. I counted the ones that I haven't touched a couple of weeks ago and there were only 10 or so that I hadn't used at all. Having lots of blues and greens to choose from are really great.

cutiepatutie 07-20-2006 04:26 PM

Thanks!!
j

EllenH 07-20-2006 04:38 PM

You will want them all I tell ya! They are soooo amazing - I have the set of 120 and am getting the additional 12 as soon as they arrive at the local store! You will be amazed that you use them all. I do have my favorites and so to be able to buy them individually is key in replacing those ones that go fast, but buy as many as you can afford. I actually purchased my big set on e-bay, but was disappointed that they didn't have the new colors so you must be careful when purchasing them so that you get the current colors. I do know that Michael's also carries them and if you can use a 40 or 50% off coupon on the sets it is waaaay cheaper to buy them that way. HTH and if you need information or tips on how to use them I did a bunch of articles on my blog.