Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Prismacolor pencils...most used/favorite colors? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/prismacolor-pencils-most-used-favorite-colors-211625/)

godchick 01-05-2007 02:12 PM

Prismacolor pencils...most used/favorite colors?

I think I've been bit by the Prismacolor/Gamsol bug! No wait...I definitely have been:) I have NO prismacolors yet and would love to know which ones you use often and/or which ones you like best?

I'm also wondering where you purchased them? I've seen them in a stamp store for $1.50 each. It seems like there are some online stores with better prices...

Is it better to buy from open stock and get the colors you want/need? Or buy a set and work from there?

EllenH 01-05-2007 03:31 PM

I'll chim in here being that I LOVE and use my Prismacolor pencils all the time. There are so many fantastic colors, but following are the ones I reach for most often:
RED-blush pink, pink, process red, scarlet lake, crimson lake, mahogany red
ORANGE-goldenrod, spanish orange, mineral orange, pumpkin
YELLOW-cream, sand, jasmine
GREEN-chartreuse, limepeel, dark green, olive green, moss green, kelly green
BLUE-sky blue light, light cerulean blue, true blue, ultramarine, denim blue
PURPLE-lavender, violet, parma violet
NEUTRALS-gingerroot, chocolate, dark brown, dark umber, burnt ochre, sienna brown, espresso
SKIN TONES-beige, light peach

I also have written a bunch of color pencil tips here - just scroll all the way down to the bottom. I hope this helps you find your way, so to speak. The Prismacolor pencils are FABULOUS!

I bought mine from Dick Blick - they have the best prices I can find. I hope these links work for you.
Have fun!!!

Scrapping&Stamping 01-05-2007 04:13 PM

I bought the smallest pkg on sale and I have some gamsol and stumps coming from inkyantics (soon I hope). I want to try it out before I invest in more pencils I have a feeling I'll love it though.

I am going to subscribe, so I can keep this list handy of Ellen's most used colors Thanks, I'm sure it will be very useful

Clownmom 01-05-2007 04:22 PM

Prismacolor pencils and Gamsol is my favorite way to color. I just love the way it looks. I pretty much agree with Ellen's choices -- I must like crimson lake and marine green the best though. They are my shortest pencils!

dini 01-05-2007 05:02 PM

$1.50 a piece is much too high. Check out this ebay seller - I haven't bought from her but the prices look great. http://stores.ebay.com/A-Rainbow-of-Colored-Pencils .78 for older colors, .89 - .98 for newer colors, and a pretty complete selection. Shipping is $1.50 for the first pencil, then just a nickel per each additional.

My shortest pencils (in the order they are in my case):
Colorless Blender
White
Deco pink (discontinued, sigh)
Crimson Red
Pumpkin orange
Mineral orange
Goldenrod
Cream
Limepeel
Marine Green
Slate Grey
Light Peach
Beige
Bronze

scrappersister 01-05-2007 09:07 PM

I love the Prisma coloring pencils and I own most if not all of them. :) As for the colors that I reach for the most, I agree with pretty much the same colors that Ellen has listed.

Michaels sells them individually as do most art supply stores. You can get them for about 1.49 each where I live. I bought mine one at a time for the first few years. That was about 7 years ago. Now I own the sets. I do not regret buying them a few at a time because back then I was not sure if I would stick with them. Well I have. :) Hope this helps.
Mary

criminalgrace 01-05-2007 09:46 PM

The color I seem to reach for most (and yet never find in my box of 48) is a gray that I can use for subtle shadows.

sillyscrappergirl 01-05-2007 09:53 PM

I have the set of 72 and got them from ebay for under 30.00 a year or so ago. I'm glad I got a set so I'd have a good selection. I haven't found another pencil that colors like they do!