Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Prismacolor Pencils, Copic Markers - Amazing Price Enabler Alert (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/prismacolor-pencils-copic-markers-amazing-price-enabler-alert-227991/)

EllenH 02-26-2007 10:57 AM

Prismacolor Pencils, Copic Markers - Amazing Price Enabler Alert

Well, you all know how much I love tools. BUT I also adore my Prismacolor pencils and am totally fascinated by a line of markers, the Copic Markers, that I have seen. I just wanted to give you a heads up on an amazing store that I believe you will get fabulous service from. I placed my order for the 132 set of Prismacolor pencils BEFORE announcing it here :twisted: - LOL!
SO hop on over to CarpeDiemStore and you too can place your orders now. Please tell them that SplitCoastStampers sent you :D :D :D hee, hee. I promise you that you won't regret owning these pencils and markers!

imataloss 02-26-2007 11:58 AM

WOW Ellen, That price fpr the prismacolor pencils is AWESOME!! I just bought this same set last week from www.dickblick.com for $10.00 more, and I thught I got a GREAT deal.........about those markers....what makes them so special? in other words ENABLE me. I'm sending my sister to CarpeDiem today for heer prismacolor pencils! Thanks Elllen.

EllenH 02-26-2007 12:11 PM

I am told that these markers are simply amazing! Definitely an artist quality product. I'm going to send you over to the manufacturers website so that you can see for yourself. Here is the link to the testimonial page and there is a gallery that will blow your socks off. I think that we in the stamping world are just now coming across some of the amazing manufacturers that have been around for years, but only trained artists knew about these products through schooling. Many colleges/universities carry these products and we have been TOTALLY missing out. I can hardly wait to get some to play with and analyze which colors I truly need.

This marker will last a lifetime. Refills and tips are available so that you can always keep your marker in top-notch form. The color selection is out of this world and therefore will need some narrowing down - LOL! but I am so excited about the possibilities when using these. After reading the testimonials I am just chomping at the bit, but I know that it is a big investment and so I need to pace myself :D

If anyone has these markers please chim in and let us know your experience with them. I would LOVE to hear more!

EllenH 02-26-2007 02:34 PM

aaack - I should rephrase the words I used above.

When speaking with the customer service person over at CarpeDiemStore I asked to be certain that they had plenty of stock, being that I did NOT want to send you on a wild goose chase. The reason I would like you to mention my name was because I wanted them to know the amazing site we have here at Splitcoaststampers.

I will email the person I was talking with and instead of saying Ellen Hutson sent you perhaps it would be best if you said you heard about their site on Splitcoaststampers. I would really like for businesses to see the wonderful resource this website can be for their products. We all know that this site is free and it would be so grand if we could get some of these awesome businesses to help support the wonderful place we have here with their advertising dollars.

Hoping this helps some of you find those awesome pencils and markers for less is also my intent :D

avonlea 02-26-2007 02:38 PM

I think that's a great idea, Ellen! When someone posts an 'enabler alert' they should tell everyone here to tell the owner SplitCoastStampers sent me. :D A great way to let owners know about the positive power of SCS and how things can spread like wild fire here! Hehehe. :D

.:Cris:.

avonlea 02-26-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllenH
When speaking with the customer service person over at CarpeDiemStore I asked to be certain that they had plenty of stock, being that I did NOT want to send you on a wild goose chase.

That's very kind of you to look into the stock for us and not wanting to send us on a wild goose chase. :)

imataloss 02-26-2007 04:02 PM

Ellen,
These markers sound too good to be true!!! :) Which tip are you getting?

EllenH 02-26-2007 04:31 PM

I want to try only one with each tip (original and sketch) to see which ones I think will work better with stamped images. I'm leaning towards the original from just reading, but there is no way I'm investing a huge sum of money in something that I don't know which ones I would like, or would work.

I was truly hoping that we would have some people telling us they have them or they have used them, or... Again in the circles I run in these markers have been the talk of the town - LOL! So when I heard of the amazing prices I just thought it would be something you ladies might be interested in.

Then there is the process of figuring out which colors to get. It will take some time, but I'm determined - LOL! They were just so helpful when I talked with them - sharing information about the product, availability etc.

I ordered the 132 Prismacolor Pencils - I'll let you all know how quickly they arrive, how well they are packaged etc. :D

MilwaukeeMommy 02-26-2007 04:47 PM

Oooooo~~ copics are my very favorites!! Thanks for sharing this info ~~ off to check it out!!

SkyesMom 02-26-2007 07:13 PM

Copic markers are fabulicious Ellen!!! No streaks. I use the original ones. Im definitely emailing them for the code. I like you am bound and determined to own these markers.

efromhawaii 02-26-2007 07:26 PM

I picked up the 36-color set of sketch markers. I choose the sketch markers over the original mainly because I really liked the brush tip. This tip is very soft and doesn't leave any marker lines. The other end of the marker has a very hard chisel point which I don't use very often. I tried the original tip marker and the small tip was just a little too fine for me. The 2nd tip on the original marker is same chisel tip that is on the brush marker.

My nephew is an artist and he likes these markers and they are very popular for Manga illustration (I have no idea what that is. :) ). Anyway, he told me that the orginial markers are more for fine line drawing and illustration and the sketch markers are more for coloring and blending. These markers do bleed through cardstock and even the heavier watercolor paper, especially the darker colors, so you do have to make sure that your work surface is properly protected. I learned this the hard way. :)

HTH and sorry that I can't offer more information.

Erin

EllenH 02-26-2007 07:44 PM

Thank you so much Erin - that was my fear - I know that I always use the brush point on my SU markers, my Tombows and my Marvy's so I want to be certain that I don't run and purchase the originals when what I need is the sketch.

Research is the key to success I believe :D Thanks so much for sharing your viewpoints. I can hardly wait until more of you share your experiences!

SkyesMom 02-26-2007 07:51 PM

Are the markers 3 dollars with the discount?

EllenH 02-26-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
Are the markers 3 dollars with the discount?

I'm not certain. I wanted to hear all sorts of viewpoints and research some more before I place my order for markers. I just wanted to share this site because of the awesome price on the Prismacolors and what appears to be an amazing price on the markers. I'm going into full blown research mode though on the markers and hope that I will have more information to share in the next couple of weeks as to what it is that I can figure out about this product and if it truly is everything it is stated to be.

lilian 02-26-2007 08:03 PM

subscribing

LittleSeaOtter 02-26-2007 08:07 PM

Copic markers are awesome. I own about 40 of them (they are pricey), but they are well worth the money. The colors just go onto the paper so easily, without streaks. They blend well too.

I have a few cards in my gallery where I used Copic markers...take a look at

Hobo Bum

Tis the Season

You Warm My Heart

Frosted Pink Cake

I *need* many more colors...do we email this store for the code? What is the final price of a marker.

PS...I use the sketch markers because of the brushlike end.

lilian 02-26-2007 08:25 PM

LittleSeaOtter, your cards are very cute. May I ask what kind of cardstock did you use? I know these markers bleed on normal bond paper. I have the sketch ones - only 3 colors I think.

LittleSeaOtter 02-26-2007 08:26 PM

This summer I was in a bookmark swap. Just happen to have a photo with one bookmark made with Prismacolor pencils and one made with Copic markers.

Copic and Prismacolor Pencil Bookmarks

I love both of these coloring tools!

LittleSeaOtter 02-26-2007 08:29 PM

Hi Lilian...

I typically will use either Beckett Expression (from Marco's Paper) or I will use the Georgia Pacific cardstock (from Walmart). The Copic markers will bleed through the paper a bit. Guess it is just their intensity.

EllenH 02-26-2007 08:38 PM

Thank you SO much for chiming in here LittleSeaOtter. You shared the precise information I was looking for - SKETCH tip - I think this might be what I need!!! ALSO thank you for sharing your gallery samples - I have to say that I LOVE what you do with color pencils and the markers! Just awesome!

I think you need to email them for the code I will try to find out the individual pricing and share it as well if I learn what it is.

lilian 02-26-2007 08:42 PM

Your bookmark variations are wonderful. The ones used with prismas are more intense? Will experiment with my prismas when my gamsol arrives in the mail. I am so inspired to color just by looking at your samples :D ok on beckett paper...I think I'll get those online.

LittleSeaOtter 02-26-2007 08:52 PM

The prismacolor bookmark was made using just Prismacolor pencils...no gamsol was used (though I do love that technique). I think the Prismacolor pencil bookmark turned out to be more intense because I had more shades of the colors to use, than I did with the Copic markers...and, I'm a very *hard-presser* using the pencils.

MilwaukeeMommy 02-27-2007 09:37 AM

I just wanted to share this gallery with you.....

Colorin' Kate

Her name is Kathy & she is the artist for Creative Pals, the "Whipper Snapper" store, as I like to call it (WS & Creative Pals owned by same person). Kathy uses Copic Markers --in fact it was at her class a year ago that I got to try them out. I don't know if she uses sketch or original~~ they do sell them at the store but I've never looked at which kind they are. Anyway, Kathy's creations are AWESOME ~~ as you can see ~~ but I wish you could all come to Wisconsin to see her stuff in person. Amazing!! So colorful & bright ~~ she is one talented woman!!

Hobby Lobby sells the sketch markers ~~ they just had them on sale last week. They sell them singly, so it's a great way to try them out!!!

MilwaukeeMommy 02-27-2007 09:38 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that Anna uses them too ---and we all know she is the master!!! LOL!!!

spinnewf 02-27-2007 09:41 AM

I use to use Studio II's which are similar to the copic markers, but they are no longer available so I started to replace with copic markers. They took me longer to get use to because of the squareness and how big they were.
I use a paper that has a little slick finish to it, similar to the Whisper White from SU. I also put the ink on a paint plate and then pick up with the colorless blender. I seem to have more trouble with the direct paper color and drawing it out with the colorless blender. Any hints for that one? Kandi

SkyesMom 02-27-2007 10:38 AM

Quote:

I'm not certain. I wanted to hear all sorts of viewpoints and research some more before I place my order for markers. I just wanted to share this site because of the awesome price on the Prismacolors and what appears to be an amazing price on the markers. I'm going into full blown research mode though on the markers and hope that I will have more information to share in the next couple of weeks as to what it is that I can figure out about this product and if it truly is everything it is stated to be.

I just got an email from them only the original ones are 2.98. They code link is not working but the people who do the orders automatically change the price of them.

EllenH 02-27-2007 11:06 AM

I do have a question for those who use these markers. Being that it is alcohol ink, what ink do you stamp with so that the ink does not bleed. I have used Ranger alcohol inks with Staz On and it smears the ink. I want to be certain I am not purchasing a product that is difficult to use once I have it.

Michelle, Colorin' Kate's gallery takes my breath away. Thank you so much for sharing it. Stunning - absolutely stunning! The colors are so intense and incredible! I noticed it said that she stamps with Black Brilliance - does she heat set it first or just color??

Any and all information is truely appreciated.

Also has anyone here used Copic vs. Prismacolor? I know that Copic has a LOT more colors, but it appears that Prismacolor is a LOT less expensive - LOL!

Diggin' deep here in order to find answers :D Thanks so much ladies!

SkyesMom 02-27-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

I do have a question for those who use these markers. Being that it is alcohol ink, what ink do you stamp with so that the ink does not bleed. I have used Ranger alcohol inks with Staz On and it smears the ink. I want to be certain I am not purchasing a product that is difficult to use once I have it.

Michelle, Colorin' Kate's gallery takes my breath away. Thank you so much for sharing it. Stunning - absolutely stunning! The colors are so intense and incredible! I noticed it said that she stamps with Black Brilliance - does she heat set it first or just color??

Also has anyone here used Copic vs. Prismacolor? I know that Copic has a LOT more colors, but it appears that Prismacolor is a LOT less expensive - LOL!

Maybe the Hybrid palette ink would work. Im gonna email Linda Carnell she uses copic markers and sells them she can probably give us some info.

JulieHRR 02-27-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyesMom
Maybe the Hybrid palette ink would work. Im gonna email Linda Carnell she uses copic markers and sells them she can probably give us some info.

Linda's a big fan of Versafine black, and has mentioned that Copics do not smear when used with them . . . (at least, I think that's what she said in another thread where we were discussing inks . . . or, mebbe it was at her blog ????)

I just ordered the 72 color set of Prisma Markers (alcohol based), professional grade artisan quality, and also highly reputed, from Carpe Diem . . . thanks to Ellen . . . darn that girl . . . :p

I love the array of colors offered by Copic, but, I'm loking to replace my water-based markers for non-streaking markers, and wanted to get the most array of colors for what I could afford . . . and, in all honesty, not being a professional illustrator, it was really hard for me to justify the cost of the same # of markers in the Copic version . . . doesn't lessen my covet of them--just that there was only so much spare change under the sofa cushions . . . ;)

spinnewf 02-27-2007 12:34 PM

If you do not emboss the Versa color fine is a good one to use with your Copic markers.
Kandi

spinnewf 02-27-2007 12:39 PM

Oh my gosh! I pay $5.95 each for the orginial Copic marker.
kandi

scoopy 02-27-2007 12:54 PM

I have a few of both the Copic original, Copic sketch, and Prismacolor (and love them all). My favorite inks to use with them are the Palette Hybrid and Ranger Adirondack Pitch Black. (Other inks I've tried are Fluid Chalk, Staz On, and SU Basic Black.) The paper that you use them on will make a BIG difference as to how they perform and with which ink. The Ranger ink is the only one that seemed to work well with them on SU Whisper White (all others smear). Palette and Ranger would be my choice with them on A Muse notecards, Georgia Pacific cardstock, and SU Naturals White. They do tend to bleed through the paper, but that isn't a big deal especially if you are matting the colored image on another layer. They also all have a slight smell but it isn't as strong as Staz On in my opinion. I have some comparison charts that I'll try to upload later. If I were to pick... based on cost and availability, I'd probably choose to buy more Prismacolor markers.

JulieHRR 02-27-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoopy
I have a few of both the Copic original, Copic sketch, and Prismacolor (and love them all). My favorite inks to use with them are the Palette Hybrid and Ranger Adirondack Pitch Black. (Other inks I've tried are Fluid Chalk, Staz On, and SU Basic Black.) The paper that you use them on will make a BIG difference as to how they perform and with which ink. The Ranger ink is the only one that seemed to work well with them on SU Whisper White (all others smear). Palette and Ranger would be my choice with them on A Muse notecards, Georgia Pacific cardstock, and SU Naturals White. They do tend to bleed through the paper, but that isn't a big deal especially if you are matting the colored image on another layer. They also all have a slight smell but it isn't as strong as Staz On in my opinion. I have some comparison charts that I'll try to upload later. If I were to pick... based on cost and availability, I'd probably choose to buy more Prismacolor markers.

I had a feeling that was the case, Scoopster! Thanks for the heads' up!

I figured on spending some time experimenting to find "the" combo of ink + paper + marker that worked best for me.

I was in quite a conniption the other day when I smeared a card 5 different times that I was working on, and about launched the Versafine Black pad out the window . . . mebbe it's the paper I was using it on . . . :confused:

I found that if my hand touched the ink anywhere as I attempted to work on another part of the card, I got transfer onto my hand, and then it transfered to the card elsewhere. I was not a happy stamper at the end of that session . . . :? I finally switched back to Memories Black so I could finish the one dang card without botching it! :rolleyes:

EllenH 02-27-2007 01:15 PM

THANK YOU ladies! All your input is so fantastic! I knew there must be someone out there who is using these. I'm considering getting one of each just to try them myself - LOL! I just want to run somewhere right now and get them :D but alas I need to do tax yuck! waaah!

Perhaps I'll reward myself when that is ALL done :D

StampOwl 02-27-2007 02:28 PM

Hi I have been using tria markers (these are made by Letraset) on my artwork for years and love them ( I think you will find most of my cards in my gallery are created using these) They are also alcohol ink markers similar to the copic ones you are all discussing, and also have 3 nibs in the one pen.

To answer Ellen H's question re inks to stamp with if you are going to color with these, DON'T use the normal archival inks (ie stazon, archival etc etc) as the inks do not like each other and you will get bleeding and smearing - not pleasant. I have had great success using just normal black ink pads there are some out there that can still be waterproof in case you want to use things like glitter glues etc - one that comes to mind is Impress Jet black by Tsukineko - not owning any SU inks (well do own 2 now) I can't comment of them. Another I use is Ranger's big & juicy but not sure it is waterproof. I have use brilliance but prefer it if it has had a lot of time to dry preferably overnight, sometimes heat setting works though but be careful with those light colors just in case. One thing I have discovered over the years is that alcohol markers are big fans of embossing, very hard to color, if your marker touches the embossing it kind of dries the marker out (only temporarily - if you color on normal it is fine again)

Another thing to be aware of using these pens is that they are best used on card that you will be layering onto something else and the ink can tend to show through from the back depending on how think your card you are using is - experient.

Ellen I think once you start using these pens and give them a fair chance you will love them, I wouldn't go back to the other types of markers for anything. Not sure about copic but I know trias have reinkers to refill your markers - you can also use these if you want to to create alcohol ink backgrounds ( I don't because in Oz these pens and reinkers are very expensive)

hope that helps

Quote:

scoopy 02-27-2007 03:04 PM

OK - I uploaded the comparison charts in the downloads forum - so here ya go....
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=228413

MilwaukeeMommy 02-28-2007 05:40 AM

I'll have to ask Kathy about the ink she uses ~~~ I remember in her class, the card we made which we colored with the Copics was embossed first. I also remember she had a whole bunch of different inks at the table, she was talking about which ink for what medium, etc. I can't remember what she said she uses with the Copics ~~ but I can certainly ask her. Maybe I can guide her over to this thread to give her input ~~ she *is* Queen of the Copics in my book, lol!!! She's so nice, too ~~ I'm sure she'd be happy to help!!

Yes, I chatted a bit with Linda about Copics. She has her *must have* colors on her blog, along with the Prisma markers she suggests getting.

I have a couple of both & can't seem to make up my mind. I know Anna has Tombow, Copic, Prisma.....well, I just can't have all of those. Like Julie, I can't find enough pennies in the house. It's a matter of "do I want the better marker, just fewer of them??" or vice versa???

Off to e-mail Kathy......

Oh, & if you want a few more samples to look at using Copics, Itching to Ink is also a card designer for Whipper Snapper ~~ she doesn't have much in her gallery, & hasn't posted in eons, but her stuff is fantastic also!!

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=52624

ashleyprugh 02-28-2007 05:51 AM

Does anyone have a list of the colors that will match SU! colors? I'd love to invest in some of the markers, but want to be sure that they coordinate with my SU! cardstock and all that.

The quality seems really fabulous!

The MFT Lady 02-28-2007 05:54 AM

Would you happen to have a link to that blog? I gotta make sure to get all the colors I "need"! :)

JulieHRR 02-28-2007 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kandmvds
Would you happen to have a link to that blog? I gotta make sure to get all the colors I "need"! :)

http://amusenews.typepad.com/a_muse_news/

I'm not sure which post, but in her left sidebar should be a list of categories--look for "My favorite Things". ;)