Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #3121  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckvView Post
Wow, this is an interesting thread. I have not dusted off my prismas for awhile...and it's about time I get some inspirations. Just colored these with prismas but I have not decided what to do with them. That seems to be the case whenever I color an image, I am not sure and they sit collecting....

CKV your girls are adorable!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #3122  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymaysView Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a pile of stuff waiting for a home on a card. Actually, I have several piles.
I'm with you guys on the pile waiting for cards. It keeps getting bigger, but I can't come up with the inspiration for complete cards. I'm just happy to color.
I have a ton of Copics that I never use. I started collecting them and never really used them. I hate taking the caps off and on. I love my Prismacolor pencils. I find I can work quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #3123  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by paperprairiesView Post
You can also use the prismacolor colorless blender pencils. They work really well.
paperprairies and SuzyS1104 can you tell me if you have found any videos on how to use the prismacolor colorless blender pencils? I don't think I am using them right as they don't seem to do much of anything on my work. I have a lot of Copics I don't use but I must say I do like the way they blend. I can't seem to get my Prismacolors to blend.

I get a headache from using OMS even though it is odorless so I can't use that method. I was so hoping that the colorless blender pencil would work for me.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #3124  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

This video is just a synopsis of a longer instructional video, but he gives the basic concept for using the blending pencil. Basically you need to have all your color laid down before you blend. It's a different technique than working with OMS, where you can color, blend, color, blend, etc.

<iframe width="500" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BrS-PEPhIV0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #3125  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechrisView Post
I'm with you guys on the pile waiting for cards. It keeps getting bigger, but I can't come up with the inspiration for complete cards. I'm just happy to color.
I have a ton of Copics that I never use. I started collecting them and never really used them. I hate taking the caps off and on. I love my Prismacolor pencils. I find I can work quicker.
i had this same problem - only i did turn them all into cards but i had a pile of cards that would last me two life times. then i discovered art journaling - i color in my journal and don't worry about whether i make them into anything. it's great as a practice place too or to keep notes about what worked really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #3126  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
This video is just a synopsis of a longer instructional video, but he gives the basic concept for using the blending pencil. Basically you need to have all your color laid down before you blend. It's a different technique than working with OMS, where you can color, blend, color, blend, etc.

<iframe width="500" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BrS-PEPhIV0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
LOVE gary greene - his books are amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #3127  
Pearl-ExPert

here is a girl i drew and colored with my prismas. i cut her out and put her in my journal. i was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic so i thought this was appropriate, the saying and the black ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #3128  
Embossing Fanatic

Marti I love that idea. I am going to start doing that. I even have a bunch all cut out. Your page is beautiful. I love the colors and your girl is very cute. Sorry about your diagnosis. Hopefully you can stop it from becoming full blown.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #3129  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the link to the video Dina. I am going to go watch it now. Just from your description I think that will help already. I wasn't laying everything down first. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #3130  
Pearl-ExPert

Lots of great ideas!

Please check out my little gallery and blog!
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #3131  
Crimping Master

Awfully quiet around here..what's everyone up to?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3132  
Embossing Fanatic

I was thinking the same thing. I came back from a week away looking forward to reading some new posts and there wasn't anything :( I just received the Terry Medaris coloring book I ordered before my vacation and am looking forward to coloring in it. Doesn't really give me too much on the side of tips, but I am still looking forward to breaking out my Prismacolors for it.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #3133  

Here is a gorgeous video - I think this is how I color when I'm feeling patient... which isn't always! LOL

SEP 24, 2012, UnityTV Episode #79, Coloring Stamped Images with Colored Pencils with Danielle Daws - YouTube
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #3134  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow Dina, that was awesome. That is exactly the type of video I need. Do you have any more that you can recommend? I recently picked up a couple of books, but they are just general drawing with colored pencil books. I really enjoy this type of video.

Thanks!
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #3135  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 660 Likes on 542 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechrisView Post
paperprairies and SuzyS1104 can you tell me if you have found any videos on how to use the prismacolor colorless blender pencils? I don't think I am using them right as they don't seem to do much of anything on my work. I have a lot of Copics I don't use but I must say I do like the way they blend. I can't seem to get my Prismacolors to blend.

I get a headache from using OMS even though it is odorless so I can't use that method. I was so hoping that the colorless blender pencil would work for me.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Sorry...I didn't see this sooner!! Where does my time go? LOL

To answer you question....I haven't looked for videos. I just experimented on my own. I watched a few copic mark videos and just translated that into the prisma pencils and colorless blender pencil. I usually put a layer of color down (the lightest)....then use the colorless blender pencil in a circular motion. Leaving a little area white...or very light of color (shows the highlight area). Then I come back and do the next shade (same color) outlining what I had just colored. Again...blending with the pencil in a circular motion...pulling some of it in to that base color. Then go to the next darker shade...and repeat. I do this until I have all the shading that I want to do. It's not unusual for me to use 3-5 pencils on one area. If I can't find the darkest shade...I will use either dark brown, steel, or black to do that last dark shade...but, not too heavy so you can see the color that had down right before hand.

here is the Christmas card I did recently.....plus several others. I discovered with the fairy and mushroom card that it is better to do the background shading first...then you don't smear the other colors when you are doing the background. That was a highpoint recently discovering that! I guess I did look at the Outlines website. It had some samples done with some blogs. That's where I got the idea of doing the background first.

I do try a little pressure to the blender pencils when I doing the small circles.
I clean the pencil off when I change colors completely....I leave it when I'm doing all red, but when I switch to green...I clean the blender pencil by rubbing it on a scratch piece of paper...or scrape it with my nails to get it off.

Hope this helps you out....I can explain more if need be. Just let me know! Glad to help out!
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-p1060090.jpg   Prismacolor Chatter-p1050767.jpg   Prismacolor Chatter-p1060065-2048.jpg   Prismacolor Chatter-p1060073.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #3136  

I have some pencil work on my blog today... Polychromos though...

Mama Dini's Stamperia: Beautiful World Tour - Imitation
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #3137  
Pearl-ExPert

just posted an art journal page with a digi i drew and colored with my trusty prismas! y'all can download the digi for free if anyone wants to.

pezadoodle designs

the page is for the new mixed media challenge on Color Me Creative
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #3138  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzyS1104View Post
Sorry...I didn't see this sooner!! Where does my time go? LOL

To answer you question....I haven't looked for videos. I just experimented on my own. I watched a few copic mark videos and just translated that into the prisma pencils and colorless blender pencil. I usually put a layer of color down (the lightest)....then use the colorless blender pencil in a circular motion. Leaving a little area white...or very light of color (shows the highlight area). Then I come back and do the next shade (same color) outlining what I had just colored. Again...blending with the pencil in a circular motion...pulling some of it in to that base color. Then go to the next darker shade...and repeat. I do this until I have all the shading that I want to do. It's not unusual for me to use 3-5 pencils on one area. If I can't find the darkest shade...I will use either dark brown, steel, or black to do that last dark shade...but, not too heavy so you can see the color that had down right before hand.

here is the Christmas card I did recently.....plus several others. I discovered with the fairy and mushroom card that it is better to do the background shading first...then you don't smear the other colors when you are doing the background. That was a highpoint recently discovering that! I guess I did look at the Outlines website. It had some samples done with some blogs. That's where I got the idea of doing the background first.

I do try a little pressure to the blender pencils when I doing the small circles.
I clean the pencil off when I change colors completely....I leave it when I'm doing all red, but when I switch to green...I clean the blender pencil by rubbing it on a scratch piece of paper...or scrape it with my nails to get it off.

Hope this helps you out....I can explain more if need be. Just let me know! Glad to help out!
wonderful coloring on all of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #3139  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Here is a gorgeous video - I think this is how I color when I'm feeling patient... which isn't always! LOL

SEP 24, 2012, UnityTV Episode #79, Coloring Stamped Images with Colored Pencils with Danielle Daws - YouTube
excellent video! this is how i tend to color as well - i blend with my pencils more often than with my colorless blender. makes me want to chuck my chores for the day and just go sit and color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #3140  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 660 Likes on 542 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
wonderful coloring on all of them!
thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #3141  
Crimping Master

Dini, that was an awesome video! I admit to relying (maybe) a little too heavily on OMS to blend. I learned in HS to blend with the pencils but when I learend about OMS in college I was elated LOL..such painterly results. I am so impressed with what you ladies can do just using the pencils and a colorless blender. Maybe I should try it again? I need to make a couple of birthday cards this week..so I might try it. I may post to my ( very ignored ) blog what I come up with HA!

As always , thanks for the inspiration!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3142  
YLM
Stazon Splitcoast

wow I just got this link from a SCS friend a couple of weeks ago just took the time to come check it out! I guess I need to read all 61 pages!!!
QFTD127
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #3143  

Welcome, Cindy!

I did another Polychromos card yesterday:
WT401 - English Robin by dini - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #3144  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi Cindy,

Good to have you here.

Dina-your card is beautiful and your button stringing is really cool.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #3145  
Insane Embellisher

Hi ladies, I have recently bought a digi stamp from Mo's Digital Pencil. It is called "Fishing" and as we have a lot of "fishy" male friends I loved it for cards. What I would like is some suggestions for coloring the boat. I have done the man in denim, which I have been happy about, but don't really like the way the boat turned out. Any suggestions please?
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-fishing-wm__23592_1300075921_120_120.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #3146  
Glitter Queen

I've been learning to colour with cheap pencils and baby oil, and I love it! So ready to get some prismacolour pencils! Don't know if I can afford a whole set though, so which colours are the real basics?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #3147  
Insane Embellisher

I would say it depends on what sort of images you colour the most.
For example if you colour people then you need skin tones and a mix of brights and lights in a selection of colour for clothing and background. If you enjoy landscapes then browns, greens and a few other colours. Look at the pencils you have been using and think about which ones you use most and work your way from there.
Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #3148  
Glitter Queen

Here is an example of something I did recently
BC823FD9-B4E1-40C6-87CD-7F3214940432-6851-00000C90B285762D.jpg
At the moment my favourite stamps are my teddy bears, but I do want a set from Stampin Up that's people. I'm still learning to shade and struggle with finding or sticking to a light source for shadows!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #3149  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default An introduction and a question about Verithin Copper

Hi everyone! I don't mean to hijack the current conversation but I am new to this thread, although not to the forum, and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. I only dug out my Prismas a few months ago and have slowly been incorporating them into my cards. I've read some, but not all of the many pages of this thread, and I guess I will try to start making my way through it since it's so packed full of info. I'm not naturally gifted at coloring, more of a graphic designer, really, but I knew I wanted to start doing coloring of some sort, and Copics are not for me. Neither am I skilled enough to do more than the most rudimentary painting. I figure pencils are what I will concentrate on.

These recent posts on using blender pencils are very timely and useful to me, since I won't use OMS. I recently tried mineral oil, and am still playing around at getting acceptable results with it. I'd kind of given up on my blender pencil for the same reason as Chris - it didn't seem to be doing much. But now I am inspired to start playing with mine again.

I was inspired by what I have read on the thread to get some Verithins so I'd have something a bit harder for working in tight spaces. And while I was ordering them, I could not resist getting a small set of polychromos, just to try them. Dina, your work with them is so wonderful, and I was very curious to see how they would be to work with.

So, that's the introduction part of this post and here's the question: I just received both the Verithins and the Polychromos today, and I was struck by a warning on the box of Verithins - about the copper color pencil. It warned about it containing copper and said "wash hands immediately after use. When using do not eat, drink or smoke. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN." A little unnerving! Are you all really careful when you use your copper pencils?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #3150  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi, all --

Just started using pencils to add some color to my cards -- I had a very inexpensive set of 100 pencils I'd gotten years ago, and they were OK to start with.

Here are the first two cards I made using them:

Prismacolor Chatter-holly-fairy-christmas.jpg

Prismacolor Chatter-i-hope-you-dance.jpg

Both of the images are from Mo's Digital Pencil -- LOVE her stuff!

I used just the pencils plus a Prismacolor blending pencil -- no OMS or baby oil (I didn't know about that technique until I started reading here).

Anyway, I just purchased an early Christmas present for myself: a 150-pencil set of Prismacolor pencils.

Looking forward to getting started with the baby oil technique! I've been getting a LOT of inspiration here, so thanks!!

Lana (in Bellingham, WA)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #3151  

Rachel, I have never seen that warning about the copper! How interesting and weird! I'm not finding any information online.

And Lana, hi and welcome!! How exciting about your Christmas present! I love the smell of new pencils.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #3152  
Insane Embellisher

Dini, I have bought a Mo's Digital Pencil stamp. It is of a man sitting in a little boat fishing. As we have quite a few "fishy" male friends I loved it. I would love your advice though, for which Prismas to use for coloring the boat if you would have time to look at it please. I have been giving the man a denim shirt and jeans which I am happy enough with, but don't really like how my boats turn out. I will attach a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-fishing.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #3153  
Glitter Queen

My latest effort:
6764089E-6590-4163-A57C-3B512AB94B3C-1359-000002B3A68A2A40.jpg
I am getting a 'real' pencil set for Christmas, probably Derwent Coloursoft! Cant wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #3154  
Pearl-ExPert

PaperTulip, you did a great job! Adorable!

Please check out my little gallery and blog!
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #3155  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for that Danielle Daws video Dini. I really learned a lot from it and just finished a Mo Manning image. Hopefully I'll get to turn it into a card and post it on my blog soon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #3156  
Glitter Queen

Got a chance to colour a few more
62103338-6C75-4F19-8898-E18E57382357-3613-000006F9BF0B8F6D.jpg
And
2F478EE8-E7EB-4DF3-BB19-EA2B71BB6E9E-3613-000006F9B6FC7F56.jpg

I am getting a better pencil set for Christmas, just can't decide between prismacolour and derwent colorsoft. I know prismacolour have a bigger colour range and that appeals to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #3157  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have any experience with the Icarus Drawing Board? It uses heat to blend.

Icarus Art Drawing Board: Fresh new look at wax based mediums!

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #3158  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Hello all! JCI and seeing that some of you have been coloring Mo's images. Aren't her images fun? Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM   #3159  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOVE Mo! Her images are darling and really fun to color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #3160  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Anyone have any experience with the Icarus Drawing Board? It uses heat to blend.

Icarus Art Drawing Board: Fresh new look at wax based mediums!

Just curious.
Nooooo, but it looks amAZing.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes