Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #401  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I did a google search and found this store that is closing out their Prisma premier pencils at 58 cents apiece?!! !! !!!!!!!

http://www.woodsedge-gallery.com/AM-...OpenStock.html
I order 10 pencils on Monday or Tuesday and receive them in the mail today!! Super fast on shipping and they were very well wrapped too!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #402  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
I posted the same info in general stamping, and so far it's been hit or miss as to whether they are marked down or not. So I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one, or perhaps I would give them a ring-a-ling first.

Thanks! I'll call tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #403  
Insane Embellisher

My husband bought me the set of 132 Premier Prismacolors for Mother's Day. I have to wait to use them, and can hardly stand the suspense! I did buy some OMS and tried the technique with my other colored pencils. I was very happy with the results, so I can just imagine what the Prisma pencils will do! I've used mostly watercolor pencils and a blender pen up to now, but this is SO much better! It's a much smoother blending of colors with a more vibrant intensity. I've never been overly fond of markers, so I was never interested in the Copics. The color is too intense and fakey looking for me. For those of you who use the baby oil, does it make your cardstock greasy?! It seems to me like the paper would absorb the oil and just stay there. Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #404  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
My husband bought me the set of 132 Premier Prismacolors for Mother's Day. I have to wait to use them, and can hardly stand the suspense! I did buy some OMS and tried the technique with my other colored pencils. I was very happy with the results, so I can just imagine what the Prisma pencils will do! I've used mostly watercolor pencils and a blender pen up to now, but this is SO much better! It's a much smoother blending of colors with a more vibrant intensity. I've never been overly fond of markers, so I was never interested in the Copics. The color is too intense and fakey looking for me. For those of you who use the baby oil, does it make your cardstock greasy?! It seems to me like the paper would absorb the oil and just stay there. Just wondering.
I am so happy for you!! Maybe I'll ask for the same thing, I just have my nine year old set of 48!

I can't agree with you more about the copics. I've been afraid to say that out loud, but it's so true! Most of the coloring I see using copics is so flat and lifeless, it just looks terrible to me. I also don't understand the weird gray outline. What is up with that? It looks like an outline, nothing more. There are some very talented copic artists who do beautiful work, but most of the copic work I see does not impress me. There! I finally said it! Do you think I will be shunned now?
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #405  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
For those of you who use the baby oil, does it make your cardstock greasy?! It seems to me like the paper would absorb the oil and just stay there. Just wondering.
The best way to use baby oil is to bit a bit in a square of felt or cotton batting and house that in a container you can close up between uses. I use a baby food jar and cotton batting. You press the stump into the felt/batting and let it absorb a bit of the oil, then blend. This keeps you from saturating your cardstock with the oil. If you feel like you've got too much oil on your stump, give it a moment for the extra to absorb into the stump and then go back to coloring.

Carla - The weird grey halo on people's copic images totally freaks me out too! I thought I was the only one.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #406  
Mad Swapper

I don't mind the grey halo - it's actually an artist trick isn't it? to make the image jump off the page more or something?

What I can't get over is the white spot in the middle of everything. I keep looking at things all the time and never see that happen naturally in real life.

You know - you have to do what is pleasing to you though ---
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #407  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Yeah, I think the grey halo is an attempt at dimension, but it's often on things that wouldn't normally cast that type of a shadow - like I just saw it around the border of a standing mailbox. If it's something that you would normally lay down flat, that's one thing.

I have had a really busy month, so to be able to sit down and color last night *AND* complete a sketch challenge was really nice. Here's the result - SC226 Feel Better - Feeling Rosy by dini at Splitcoaststampers
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 AM   #408  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
...... but most of the copic work I see does not impress me. There! I finally said it! Do you think I will be shunned now?
Yes! You are banished to the "Everyday Chit Chat " forum!! LOL....a lot of Copic bashing going on. I personally don't have a good color sense when it comes to using copics and I think that is essential. The beauty of them is they lay down vibrant color..flat..but vibrant, and the juxtaposition of different shades/colors is what makes them work imho. I prefer a lot of blending when I work with them and try to get a watercolor look which means using the colorless blender a lot. I like the look of the halo sometimes but I can not bring myself to do it!! I prefer a naturalistic style when it comes to shading and shadows.

Yep I prefer Prismacolors but I'm trying to learn to mix the two which is harder than I thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #409  
Pearl-ExPert

What I have seen done with the copics has been nice. I am just not going to spend more money on something I do not need. I agree with the person who said we just get sucked into the "gotta have it and have it now" idea. That's what causes us to look at our crowded spaces one day and wonder why we bought this or that. Just my opinion, tho'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #410  

I have other markers that I use sometimes to lay down a base layer of color on an image that has large areas color, then I add shading and highlights with pencils...
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #411  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Yeah, I think the grey halo is an attempt at dimension, but it's often on things that wouldn't normally cast that type of a shadow - like I just saw it around the border of a standing mailbox. If it's something that you would normally lay down flat, that's one thing.
It's one of those things that you simply don't notice when it's done right. I often wonder when I see if and it's a bit too noticeable if that's just the lightest grey they own. The price of copics being so high, that they have perhaps opted for a larger color selection, but still want to replicate the shading. It's one of those areas when "gotta have it" and "wow, that's expensive" bonk heads.

I've seen some people use them with great success, however. Enough that I still drool over a set now and again. I just can't afford enough copics to give me a reasonable color selection. Besides, I'm really enjoying working with my pencils right now. I'm learning so much that could easily translate over to Copics if I happen to win the lottery or someone dumps a pile of money on me.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #412  

I bought a mess of Neopiko markers from www.oozak.com - their remaining open stock is $1 apiece, which for alcohol markers seemed a decent price - since I'm so used to my watercolors and pencils, I doubt that markers will become my go-to media. It will be forever till I get them though...had them shipped free to my MIL's house, then she will have to send them here, so in a couple months I will hopefully have them in hand!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #413  
Die Cut Diva

So I got a Dick Blick catty in the mail and im curious about their brand of colored pencils. Anyone ever tried them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #414  
Stampin' Fool

What does a "stump" look like? I was in Michaels the other day and I found the pencils (didn't get them yet) and couldn't find what stumps were and where they'd be located.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #415  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
What does a "stump" look like? I was in Michaels the other day and I found the pencils (didn't get them yet) and couldn't find what stumps were and where they'd be located.
They look sort of like a double ended pencil made of paper.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #416  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post

I found my stumps hanging right above the pencils at Michael's and they have them at Jo-Ann's also.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #417  
Insane Embellisher

Hope this works. These are pictures of the new pencil holders I built today. I heard on this board that PVC pipe works well so I tried it and it does. I built the box around the pieces of pipe so the pipe is loose but snug. I cut some tall and some shorter but I can change it around if I have to. I can fit 8 pencils in each 1" pipe. Thought I would share.

Oh..the wood is prefinished mahogany off of a job I did.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #418  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrHamboView Post
Hope this works. These are pictures of the new pencil holders I built today. I heard on this board that PVC pipe works well so I tried it and it does. I built the box around the pieces of pipe so the pipe is loose but snug. I cut some tall and some shorter but I can change it around if I have to. I can fit 8 pencils in each 1" pipe. Thought I would share.
Oh that looks like an awesome setup!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #419  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

What a great idea! I will share this with my hubby who has a knack of making things like this! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #420  

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph772View Post
So I got a Dick Blick catty in the mail and im curious about their brand of colored pencils. Anyone ever tried them?
I realized yesterday I do have a few of those too. They are a little more waxy than Prismas which makes them blend a little differently, but they do take OMS and blend ok. They have some colors that aren't in the Prisma range, and they're a cheaper alternative.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #421  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Cindy and V. Here's a close up shot of it...
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I posted it in my album so I could post a url here and show it. It's already been favorited twice!! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #422  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks Cindy and V. Here's a close up shot of it...
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I posted it in my album so I could post a url here and show it. It's already been favorited twice!! lol
Oh nice! I don't think it would work for me, but I do really like it. I need something a bit more portable. I found a portfolio pattern on Amy Butler's site that I think I'm going to convert into a pencil pouch.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #423  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_vView Post
Oh nice! I don't think it would work for me, but I do really like it. I need something a bit more portable. I found a portfolio pattern on Amy Butler's site that I think I'm going to convert into a pencil pouch.

V
Oh I just saw that portfolio pattern and I too think that would be a great idea for pencils. Were you thinking to eliminate the inside pockets or what? Do you care to share your idea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #424  

Tim, your holder is cool! I think I would have made all the pipes the same length, though, and just put something underneath to sit some up higher. Just a thought. Once my husband had this grand idea for a huge lazy susan and bought all these acrylic holders and a huge base and everything...heh heh...then we moved! So it never came to be...anyway, good for you for putting something together! I still like my leather cases from dickblick...portable, and I just like seeing things in rainbow order...someone else posted that they use those too, back on one of the earlier pages.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 PM   #425  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Oh I just saw that portfolio pattern and I too think that would be a great idea for pencils. Were you thinking to eliminate the inside pockets or what? Do you care to share your idea?
I've been working on tweaking the various measurements to make it work for me. My plan is to keep the structure as the pattern shows, sizing it up a little and adding an inner structure for the pencils. I intend to make a W shaped panel set with elastic stitched along the long side of each side. This should give me lots of storage while retaining the pockets and outer area.

I've got the basics measured out and ready to cut. I just need to do a little experimenting with the stitch spacing on my elastic. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #426  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

They look sort of like a double ended pencil made of paper.

V
Thanks! I found the stumps and purchased some baby oil. I am trying them with the memory pencils that I have and I actually like how they are turning out. It was really cool! I'm still holding out for the prismacolor premier pencils, but it looks like I have to set the money aside because I want the big set. Someone once told me when I was purchasing a new computer to go for everything you need even if you have to wait to get it. That way you won't be disappointed and wanting to go out and add more. I try to adhere to that. And when I got to Ms and saw how expensive the 72 set was, I think I just might save up and get the 120 set instead...maybe even the 132. I'm still debating which one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #427  
Mad Swapper

Hi everyone! I posted a new card that I colored today:
Banana Split: Wearing Stripes by casslarson at Splitcoaststampers

and then a close up on my blog.

I used the Memento London Fog to stamp my image today. Really like how it really kinda disappeared almost --- makes me feel like an "artist" even more so!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #428  
Mad Swapper

PS - MrHambo - cute storage - I enjoyed browsing your gallery tonight - I don't know why I hadn't been there before!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #429  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by casslarsonView Post
PS - MrHambo - cute storage - I enjoyed browsing your gallery tonight - I don't know why I hadn't been there before!!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #430  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Tim, your holder is cool! I think I would have made all the pipes the same length, though, and just put something underneath to sit some up higher. Just a thought.
They are different sizes so you have a place for the smaller pencils. The taller ones are so the big pencils don't flop around. They can be changed out too which is good. I guess setting them up higher doesn't change the relationship between the size of the pencil and the pipe unless you put something inside the pipe. Does that make sense?

I keep all my teeny weeny pencils in a little plastic container that are too small to sit up. I wonder if all pencils shouldn't be laid flat so the color doesn't run out?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #431  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I wonder if all pencils shouldn't be laid flat so the color doesn't run out?:confused:
Oh no! I heard somewhere that really good art pencils can be stored vertically and they won't lose their color. It's something in the wax/pigement binding process that makes them safe to store. :mrgreen:

On that note, I was watching How It's Made on Discovery Science last night and got to watch Caran D'arche pencils being made. It was pretty interesting.

Cassie - Gorgeous card!

V
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #432  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Very nice storage system, it would work for me because I don't tote my stuff around, I just stay at home and play!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #433  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by casslarsonView Post
Hi everyone! I posted a new card that I colored today:
Banana Split: Wearing Stripes by casslarson at Splitcoaststampers

and then a close up on my blog.

I used the Memento London Fog to stamp my image today. Really like how it really kinda disappeared almost --- makes me feel like an "artist" even more so!!
Very cute card, how did you do the sky?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #434  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Very cute card, how did you do the sky?
I scribbled some 968 Cold Grey Very Light over it - lots of white showing.
Then laid down Slate Grey over that filling it in mostly. Blended. Then added some 904 Light Blue and blended again.

And V - for my Inky card last week - I used these colors for my skin:

997 Beige
927 Light Flesh
then blended
and added 939 Flesh on the edges and cheeks and blended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #435  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Oh no! I heard somewhere that really good art pencils can be stored vertically and they won't lose their color. It's something in the wax/pigement binding process that makes them safe to store.

V
LOL...you get what you pay for! I did see the video for making crayons. Pretty cool stuff there too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #436  
Gabfest Goddess

btt

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #437  
Vintage Vixen

I am finally getting some time to play today! Between making sure my dad obeys orders after being released from the hospital, helping my mom paint and redecorate a bedroom, work, and teaching at my LSS, I have not had much *ME* time. LOL.

My coloring class at the store last Thursday night went really well. I thought it would be hard to teach 9 people how to color (and then blend with their OMS), but most of them picked up the technique really well. This is going to be a monthly class now so I will be doing a lot of coloring. LOL!

Here's a card I completed today. After I colored my image I covered it with 3 layers of UTEE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #438  
Gallery Gazer

Aw man, wish I could come to your coloring class! That sounds like fun. Glad it went better than you even planned!

I finally found a pencil storage item at Home Goods yesterday...it was on clearance for $18. I'm going to have to spray paint it black, but wanted to try it out first. It works great! Plus the pencils only used up 1/2 of the compartments, so I store all my other tools in there, too! I even have 3 compartments empty right now.

ETA: oops, forgot to rotate the picture first. But you get the idea. Plus, did I mention it SPINS?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Prismacolor Chatter-dsc03961.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #439  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Aw man, wish I could come to your coloring class! That sounds like fun. Glad it went better than you even planned!

I finally found a pencil storage item at Home Goods yesterday...it was on clearance for $18. I'm going to have to spray paint it black, but wanted to try it out first. It works great! Plus the pencils only used up 1/2 of the compartments, so I store all my other tools in there, too! I even have 3 compartments empty right now.

ETA: oops, forgot to rotate the picture first. But you get the idea. Plus, did I mention it SPINS?!?!
Why would you want to paint it black? I love the red. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #440  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah...I like the color of it too.

BTW....Office Depot here did have Prismas in clearance but sold out. They were making way for the new ones...some new ones were bundles with the verithins which is a cool idea.
Reply With Quote Likes