Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Big Shot cutting plates

I have searched for recent posts related to this question, and only find old posts. After using my original big shot cutting plates for several years, I replaced them with the newer plates in the SU catalog. The new plates warp VERY quickly, and the warping is more pronounced than the older plates.

I frequently rotate and flip the plates. I have bought several sets of cutting plates as well (6 sets), with the same results. The newer plates are just less quality and do not last as long. If I use 2 warped plates, the image doesn't cut cleanly. And it warps the thinlits dies as well.

I have started to exclusively use the precision plate, as then I only have to use one awful, warped cutting plate. This has helped, but not sure that this is the best solution.

I have tried baking my plates, but this only helped until I used them again and they immediately warped/bowed again.

Is anyone else experiencing this? My next step is to find a better, non-Stampin' Up product. And I will call SU too. But as a demonstrator, I am finding it difficult and frustrating to use this product.

thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the Genesis magnetic plates in my Big Shot for over a year now (I've actually never used the plates that came with it) and haven't had any warping issues. You might want to look at them as a replacement?

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,078 Likes on 828 Posts

You say you are rotating and flipping?What made the biggest difference for me was something Lydia (Understandblue) posted on a discussion thread of this topic, and it was later posted in the Weekly Inkling (issue linked here: Stitched Star Ornament - Weekly Inkling - Splitcoaststampers). Since I tried this, I have had no problem with the bottom plate warping, and while the top one is (and I agree, the new ones do seem to warp faster), it still cuts perfectly every single time.

So no rotating was her answer, and it's working for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sizzix changed the product that Stampin' Up! carries. So maybe you should contact Sizzix??
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Sizzix cutting plates are thinner because they changed the multi-purpose platform that comes with the Big Shot. The platform applies a bit more all-over pressure, so the plates don't need to be as thick. Not saying I like them thinner, I don't. They do warp faster. Just offering an explanation.

One thing I tried last week was to warm my warped plate with my heat gun and then roll it through. A couple of times helped straighten it out considerably, although I didn't put a lot of time into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone here linked the Frugal Crafter's video on cleaning and straightening cutting plates. I tried it, and it worked:
Reply With Quote Likes