Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 400 Likes on 366 Posts
Question Portable paper trimmers

So I have a bunch of paper trimmers....2 Fiskars. 1 is a rotary the other is a ^" trimmer with the wire thingy. Then there's the Making Memories trimmer/score board as well as the WRMK trimmer/scoreboard. Yep had to have both. I also have the Recollection trimmer, Martha Stewarts trimmer, 2 of the Paper Studio ones from Hobby Lobby and hmmmmmmoh yes Fiskars Guillitine trimmer with bamboo base. Oh I forgot I also have the Cutterpede decorative rotary blades with different decorative edge blades and The new Cutterpiller portable 12 inch rotary trimmer. Yep .... 11 cutters ! I want a cutter that can cut clean edges that is not a rotary! HELP!!! And I have never found a trimmer that won't make the edges of Recollection papers all fuzzy. Im sure there has been a thread on this somewhere but I can't find one. Any body out there that can give me some insight on this problem
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:03 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I have a few (not as many as you) cutters. I am down to using an Office Depot guillotine cutter. It is light weight but bulky. On a scale of one to 10, one being a cheapie cutter of generic name and 10 is perfect (not to be found in my opinion)cutter the guillotine cutter is a 6.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Speaking of fringie edges I saw a great technique by France Martin ( frenchiestamps). Did you know you can use an adhesive eraser to remove them.....Instead of sanding block! Echoing her words. "It works and does a better job". Hope this tip helps if needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 09:09 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post
Recollection papers are utter garbage in quality. If you tear regular computer paper you'll see a nice clean edge. Recollection papers tear with fringy nasty edges because the paper pulp is low quality and not well bonded. So that's the real problem.
Sorry, I have to jump in and defend Recollection papers! I have lots and lots of Recollections paper and use it frequently. I always get a clean edge when using it. I personally think the paper trimmer/blade makes all the difference in cutting most papers.

I have a Making Memories Precision Trimmer with a self-sharpening blade that is probably about 7 or 8 years old. I get nice clean edges using it, no matter what brand of paper I use.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say "Recollection papers are utter garbage" is a pretty harsh judgment!

I'm a senior on a fixed income and need to watch my pennies with this wonderful hobby. I always buy the Recollection color paper packs when they are on sale at Michaels and love the variety they offer.

I recently got several packs of their Shimmer cardstock in champagne and silver and have loved using it, too. I made 15 sets of personalized note cards for Christmas gifts, and used the Shimmer cardstock to make the boxes to hold the cards. The Shimmer cardstock cut beautifully and the boxes look very elegant!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #5  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 740 Likes on 337 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Sorry, I have to jump in and defend Recollection papers! I have lots and lots of Recollections paper and use it frequently. I always get a clean edge when using it. I personally think the paper trimmer/blade makes all the difference in cutting most papers.

I have a Making Memories Precision Trimmer with a self-sharpening blade that is probably about 7 or 8 years old. I get nice clean edges using it, no matter what brand of paper I use.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say "Recollection papers are utter garbage" is a pretty harsh judgment!

I'm a senior on a fixed income and need to watch my pennies with this wonderful hobby. I always buy the Recollection color paper packs when they are on sale at Michaels and love the variety they offer.

I recently got several packs of their Shimmer cardstock in champagne and silver and have loved using it, too. I made 15 sets of personalized note cards for Christmas gifts, and used the Shimmer cardstock to make the boxes to hold the cards. The Shimmer cardstock cut beautifully and the boxes look very elegant!
I agree - I am having an issue with my trimmer right now - the same issue - fuzzy edges - and it has absolutely zero to do with the paper. You can start with a new blade and it looks horrid. I have lots of Recollections stacks (and every other paper in the world - #confession) that cut fine with trimmers that work. I think trimmers are devolving, much like cell phones

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Or maybe, like disposable razors and home printers, they want us to keep buying replacement blades? (where is the emoji for "cynical"?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I recently got a Carl flat bed paper cutter. It cuts great. I also have a Cutterpillar v3. The Cutterpillar is the most exact cutter I have ever had.....but it often frays the edges of my papers and leaves a ridge on the edge of the paper it cuts. I dontthink I will ever find a trimmer I am totally happy with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I happen to LOVE my ancient Fiskars rotary blade trimmer. A perfect edge every time. It's small, light and portable. It even cuts thick cardboard with a few high-pressure passes of the blade. The only thing about it that I dislike is that measurements longer than 4.25" (wider than the base) are not very accurate. The swing arm has measurements but either they are off a smidge or I have trouble lining them up.

I bought the Cutterpillar Pro (v4) a couple months ago. I had major cutting issues with the first one. The replacement cuts very nice and the measurements are spot on. It is not perfect, though. It gets rough edges if I try to cut more than one sheet of cardstock at a time.

So, I use the Cutterpillar Pro to cut my card bases (cut 80 this week!) and my Fiskars for smaller cuts at my craft table.

I heard the new Stampin Up trimmer is made by Fiskars. Because it has measurements up to 6.25" on the base, I considered it when looking for a card base cutter. When I learned that the rotary blade was an add-on item, I changed my mind and went with the Cutterpillar when it was at a rock-bottom price on JoAnn.com

Like Amber and the rest of you, I don't think I'll ever find the perfect trimmer ... unless his name is Bob or Bill or someone who works at a stationery store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 04:49 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 400 Likes on 366 Posts

So glad to hear I'm not the only one with trimmer issues. Lydia...I agree trimmers just aren't what they use to be. My best was one I got probably 25 yrs ago a purple thingy (no idea the name) but they had finaly gone out of business and stopped making bladed.
Poppydarling this could be cynical LOL
Amber...I don't think I'll find a trimmer that makes me happy either.
Melissa....if you find a Bob or Bill let us know
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I happen to LOVE my ancient Fiskars rotary blade trimmer. A perfect edge every time. It's small, light and portable. It even cuts thick cardboard with a few high-pressure passes of the blade. The only thing about it that I dislike is that measurements longer than 4.25" (wider than the base) are not very accurate. The swing arm has measurements but either they are off a smidge or I have trouble lining them up.

I bought the Cutterpillar Pro (v4) a couple months ago. I had major cutting issues with the first one. The replacement cuts very nice and the measurements are spot on. It is not perfect, though. It gets rough edges if I try to cut more than one sheet of cardstock at a time.

So, I use the Cutterpillar Pro to cut my card bases (cut 80 this week!) and my Fiskars for smaller cuts at my craft table.

I heard the new Stampin Up trimmer is made by Fiskars. Because it has measurements up to 6.25" on the base, I considered it when looking for a card base cutter. When I learned that the rotary blade was an add-on item, I changed my mind and went with the Cutterpillar when it was at a rock-bottom price on JoAnn.com

Like Amber and the rest of you, I don't think I'll ever find the perfect trimmer ... unless his name is Bob or Bill or someone who works at a stationery store.
I'm pretty tight with Bob & Bill at Kinko's - they cut my paper perfectly x 200 for my Christmas cards!

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyBlueSkyView Post

Has anyone gone to the titanium cutting blades? Fiskars is offering one now but I don't know if it makes a difference.

I've *heard* it makes a difference but haven't bought & compared myself.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Guillotine All the Way

I have to add my two cents to this discussion. As a retired elementary teacher we worked with guillotine paper cutters all the time. I bought a Fishers cutter (dimensions on the platform are 9" long and 5" wide - although you can stretch it to 5.5") at least 13 years ago. It still is going strong. I think something about how the arm comes down and cuts across the metal part on the platform sharpens the blade. I am not sure how it works, but it still cuts everything smoothly. I can never get those rotary blades to work, and they wear out. I like a sharp cut, and get it with this Fishers. I will check on-line and see if they still make it. I am sure I got it at Michaels. Of course, as with any tool, there is a learning curve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Ugh! Spell Check!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarianneLambView Post
I have to add my two cents to this discussion. As a retired elementary teacher we worked with guillotine paper cutters all the time. I bought a Fishers cutter (dimensions on the platform are 9" long and 5" wide - although you can stretch it to 5.5") at least 13 years ago. It still is going strong. I think something about how the arm comes down and cuts across the metal part on the platform sharpens the blade. I am not sure how it works, but it still cuts everything smoothly. I can never get those rotary blades to work, and they wear out. I like a sharp cut, and get it with this Fishers. I will check on-line and see if they still make it. I am sure I got it at Michaels. Of course, as with any tool, there is a learning curve.
I just noticed that everytime I typed Fiskars the Spell Check changed it to Fishers. FISKARS, FISKARS, FISKARS! Grrrr!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarianneLambView Post
I just noticed that everytime I typed Fiskars the Spell Check changed it to Fishers. FISKARS, FISKARS, FISKARS! Grrrr!
Good to know. I was curious about the "Fishers" trimmer and looked all over and couldn't find it!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I know what Santa is bringing me. I had to help him shop for me. Poor guy. And it is a Fiskars Pro. Rotary "self sharpening" trimmer. Let see. that makes 6 trimmers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I saw the "Fishers" and kept thinking of Elmers Glue. Didn't dawn on me till the correction that wasn't at all right. I guess because you were a teacher brain went straight to Elmers. Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I use a Cutterpillar. I think it's version 2. I've had it quite a while. I don't ever have trouble, but I do know what your talking about Amber when you say bump or rough edges. I've found that if I cut slowly, I always get the bump kind of a pushing up of the paper at the end. If I just cut at a regular speed, I don't have that happen. I think it just has to cut through the paper faster. Same thing with the fraying. If I just sip along faster, it doesn't do that. I don't believe it wasn't designed to cut more than one cardstock at a time (at least it used to come with that warning) but I've cut 3-4 depending on the thickness. Just push through the paper faster and you'll have no problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default ONLY 6 trimmers....???

Quote:

Originally Posted by southgirlView Post
I know what Santa is bringing me. I had to help him shop for me. Poor guy. And it is a Fiskars Pro. Rotary "self sharpening" trimmer. Let see. that makes 6 trimmers.
Just happy to know I am not the only one who seems to collect them.
Reply With Quote Likes