Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Please help me with Gamsol technique! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/please-help-me-gamsol-technique-361327/)

paulaq 07-05-2008 01:12 PM

Please help me with Gamsol technique!

I can't imagine what I am doing wrong. I read the tutorial and haven't had any luck with this technique. My problem is that I cannot get the color to move or blend. I still see the definite lines that I colored with and cannot get any blending. I have never had any problem with the prismacolor water colored pencils but the regular pencils and the Mona Lisa mineral spirits does nothing. I teach 3rd grade and even asked our art teacher to help and she was also baffled. I would really appreciate any advice. I love the results but cannot get it to work. I have also tried several different kinds of paper.

airbornewife 07-05-2008 01:54 PM

here is a tutorial video on youtube that might help.. this is 1 of 2.

Pam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCCo9799dWo

GarnetJ 07-05-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaq (Post 10423132)
I can't imagine what I am doing wrong. I read the tutorial and haven't had any luck with this technique. My problem is that I cannot get the color to move or blend. I still see the definite lines that I colored with and cannot get any blending. I have never had any problem with the prismacolor water colored pencils but the regular pencils and the Mona Lisa mineral spirits does nothing. I teach 3rd grade and even asked our art teacher to help and she was also baffled. I would really appreciate any advice. I love the results but cannot get it to work. I have also tried several different kinds of paper.

You are right about trying different kinds of paper. Also, try finding a different brand of stumps. I had a really hard time with Prismacolors until I got the stumps that say "Creative Mark" on the side.

and I almost hate to mention it, but it takes quite a lot of that hard word.... Practice!!!

paulaq 07-05-2008 02:29 PM

Thanks so much!

Pam-
The tutorial was very helpful !! Thanks so much! Now I see what I was doing wrong. I appreciate you taking the time to give me this tip.

tdodd00 07-05-2008 03:30 PM

That is a great tutorial, I found it on YouTube quite a while ago. I just wanted to say that when I do this technique, I don't do such a "definite" line of color...sort of do a wider amount and use the side of the pencil. Make sense? I am sure this is not how it is supposed to be done, but it works for me, otherwise I get too impatient with it!

paulaq 07-05-2008 04:42 PM

Thanks for another great tip! Apparently on the resource tutorial I saw more of a coloring around the stamped object rather than outlining. That's where the problem arose. I couldn't get the coloring to blend. However-when I tried the outlining it worked fine. Wow-after all this time -finally a solution! The you tube video is great!! Thanks again!

jessjean 07-05-2008 05:59 PM

GinaK has an awesome tutorial on her blog using OMS & colored pencils... have you seen it yet?

Jessica

gingerd 07-05-2008 06:19 PM

I had also read that the stumps from China aren't as good as the ones from Taiwan.

Michael's carries the ones from China and Hobby Lobby carries the other ones. At the time I read this I was just starting with the stumps so I just went to HL to get them.

Ginger

Jovi 07-05-2008 07:30 PM

I used Mono Lisa in the past and then switched to Gamsol... a huge difference! Gamsol spreads the color so much easier (IMO). Papertrey Ink cardstock works great.

;)

paulaq 07-06-2008 06:11 AM

Can you tell me where they sell the actual Gamsol? I only have JoAnn's and Michael's around here in Pittsburgh. Could I order it from someone who sells it? Thanks again.

gingerd 07-06-2008 06:15 AM

I have been using the Sansodor from Michael's. I am trying to use that up. HOWEVER, in the mean time I bought my Gamsol from Dick Blick. Michael's, Joanns, and Hobby Lobby don't carry it. You may have luck finding it an a local art supply store. I don't have one close to me so I did the online thing.

HTH,
Ginger

paulaq 07-06-2008 06:44 AM

Jessica-
Thanks so much for your info on Gina K. It was a BIG help!

Jovi 07-06-2008 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaq (Post 10428860)
Can you tell me where they sell the actual Gamsol? I only have JoAnn's and Michael's around here in Pittsburgh. Could I order it from someone who sells it? Thanks again.

You can order a 2 oz bottle from Inky Antics:
http://www.inkyantics.com/acc1.htm

I'm only able to find Gamsol at my local art supply store.

;)

Jovi 07-06-2008 06:49 AM

Here are a couple more videos that are very helpful about blending:

http://www.heartprints.net/gallery/videos/card/2823/

http://www.heartprints.net/gallery/videos/card/2822/

;)

paulaq 07-06-2008 07:07 AM

Jovi
Thanks so much for your help! I'm just trying to decide where to order from. Dick Blick has 16 ounces of Gamsol for $9.95 but not the convenient applicator bottle, also he doesn't have the Creative Mark blending stumps that I've heard so much about. Gina has the blending stumps but not the gamsol. I'd really like to order both from the same person. Inky Antics has a small pack of 3 blending stumps from Creative Mark. Do you think that 3 is enough? Thanks-Paula

Jovi 07-06-2008 08:56 AM

It is less expensive if you purchase Gamsol in large amounts. I also get the 16 oz size and pour some in a separate container. I've heard glass containers are better for Gamsol. I really like the glass container that Gina has, I just haven't gotten around to ordering it.

As for blending stumps... I use one stump for each color (one stump for blues shades, one for greens shades and so on). ;)

paulaq 07-06-2008 09:48 AM

Jovi-
Thanks again for your help! Just wanted to let you know that after doing some research I decided to order through Mister Art Discount Supplies. The blending stumps were not Creative Mark ones but they were highly recommended for having great results. They also had the 16 oz. Gamsol for a good price. So--I'll see. Thanks again and have a great day!
Paula

kaenasmommy 07-06-2008 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaq (Post 10429394)
Jovi
Thanks so much for your help! I'm just trying to decide where to order from. Dick Blick has 16 ounces of Gamsol for $9.95 but not the convenient applicator bottle, also he doesn't have the Creative Mark blending stumps that I've heard so much about. Gina has the blending stumps but not the gamsol. I'd really like to order both from the same person. Inky Antics has a small pack of 3 blending stumps from Creative Mark. Do you think that 3 is enough? Thanks-Paula

GinaK does have OMS, in her own brand and it works great.
http://www.shop.ginakdesigns.com/pro...4&productId=42

jessjean 07-06-2008 10:44 AM

Your welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulaq (Post 10429153)
Jessica-
Thanks so much for your info on Gina K. It was a BIG help!

I'm glad it helped you out!

I've shared a few other tips that I've found which were helpful while learning to use OMS & colored pencils in GinaK's forum. I've been using Koh-i-Noor's colored pencils and actually prefer them to Prismas for blendability, but the same principals apply when you're coloring with OMS

Here's what I told the gals over there:

First, when choosing colors, choose 2 or 3 that are similar in shades and always start with the lightest one & build up the color from there.

Use one side of your stump for each color . I use one side of the stump for green & the other for blue; one for red, the other for pink, etc. Super quick & easy with minimal filing needed. Which is great for me, since I'm a pretty lazy stamper!

Also, make sure you use enough OMS. When the color stops 'moving' and blending you need to 're-ink' your stump. Most people get frustrated with their shading because they aren't wetting their stump enough.

One more, is that you can use a regular eraser (like the one from your chalk pastels) to go over areas that you colored and erase some of the color which will add highlights or even clean up your edges. I'm really bad about leaving white or light highlights when I'm coloring, but I have no problem going back over the colored image with my eraser and adding a few highlights here and there. You'll be surprised at how easily these pencils erase and it can make a huge difference in your finished image!

There's 4 of my favorite tips that I like to share with customers at my classes at Gina's store! Hope they give you some ideas & hints!

Good luck!

paulaq 07-06-2008 11:20 AM

Jesica-
Thanks again for being so willing to take the time out of your day to give me all your tips!
Paula

debzi333 07-06-2008 11:50 AM

I've haven't read any of the posts - or just quickly - so forgive me if I repeat anyone's info.. but I found that the paper REALLY makes a difference!! Make sure you have a somewhat coated paper.. Since I am in Canada, the most available paper was SU's Whisper White.. without that I simply couldn't move the colour. While the creative mark stumps are okay - last time I ordered the gamsol from Inky Antics I also ordered quite a few of their stumps and they say made on Taiwan on them. They really spread the prismacolour around.. and as someone else mentioned.. for somethings I might just use a thick line - but often I use a lot more than that.

And yes... it just takes practice too. But without the right paper and good stumps - you are lost!! Creative mark are okay... I 've got lot's of those - but the made in Taiwan stumps are definitely better!!! The stumps from China are just too hard.. I didn't have much luck with those!!

Best of luck!! I don't know how Gina K's bottle works, but I really like the Inky Antics dispenser.. little spilling - easy to control.

jessjean 07-06-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333 (Post 10431683)
I've haven't read any of the posts - or just quickly - so forgive me if I repeat anyone's info.. but [COLOR="Red"]I found that the paper REALLY makes a difference!! Make sure you have a somewhat coated paper.. Since I am in Canada, the most available paper was SU's Whisper White.. [/COLOR]without that I simply couldn't move the colour. While the creative mark stumps are okay - last time I ordered the gamsol from Inky Antics I also ordered quite a few of their stumps and they say made on Taiwan on them. They really spread the prismacolour around.. and as someone else mentioned.. for somethings I might just use a thick line - but often I use a lot more than that.

And yes... it just takes practice too. But without the right paper and good stumps - you are lost!! Creative mark are okay... I 've got lot's of those - but the made in Taiwan stumps are definitely better!!! The stumps from China are just too hard.. I didn't have much luck with those!!

Best of luck!! I don't know how Gina K's bottle works, but I really like the Inky Antics dispenser.. little spilling - easy to control.

Deborah's right about the paper! I love to use Stampin Up's Whisper White or Very Vanilla paper with this technique. The coating on the paper helps the colors & OMS glide over the cardstock making blending a breeze!

stampingsinger 07-09-2008 04:31 AM

Prisma color blending

I use odorless turpenoid from Hobby Lobby. I do this technique constantly. So, I purchased a 16 oz can for 10.99. They may have a smaller bottle. Also, I never had any luck with stumps. They were very costly as much as I would use them. I use an old blender pen. It works great. I like the Stampin Up ones because of the double pen. I have in a pinch used a low order thinner for oils that you can get at Walmart. It works just as well and is only $2.??.
Good Luck!
Linda

Dauberdoo 07-09-2008 11:53 AM

Here's a great tip (I'm pretty sure Gina K. told me about this). Get a Goo Gone Pen (from the laundry section in Walmart) - and use that for blending. Works great, everything is self-contained. I LOVE IT!

scrapamiga 07-09-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jovi (Post 10426769)
I used Mono Lisa in the past and then switched to Gamsol... a huge difference! Gamsol spreads the color so much easier (IMO). Papertrey Ink cardstock works great.

;)

Thanks for this tidbit! My LSS had both, and I was trying to decide which one to get; the Mona Lisa brand was cheaper, but I decided to go with the Gamsol. Looks like I made the right choice! They only carried the 16-oz., but at least it'll last me a long time!