Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Pink 714 ATG (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/pink-714-atg-495268/)

Crafter 4 Life 06-18-2010 07:37 AM

Pink 714 ATG

Got an email from Custom Crop indicating they are taking pre-orders for a pink 3M 714 ATG. The cost is $29.99 and a portion of the price is going to the Susan B. Komen fund.

If anyone is looking for an ATG, this is a good price for the 3M 714.

PandaGirl 06-18-2010 07:46 AM

From what I've heard it isn't actually a 714 though- it's a different model altogether made for non-commercial use so it's not as heavy duty, whatever that means.

swillsh 06-18-2010 05:08 PM

I just pre-ordered mine from StampingScrapping.com for 24.99
http://www.stampingscrapping.com/cat...h-ATG-Guns.htm

stigmom6 06-18-2010 05:39 PM

It seems to be the same as the red 714 just pink for breast cancer aareness. If you look close at the box there is a pink ribbon in the top left corner.Great price though!!HTH!

daffyrs1 06-19-2010 04:35 AM

Is there a difference between the 3M & the scotch tapes? This one says fits 25 ft. & the 3M tape is 36 ft. I have the ATG gun (red) & plenty of tape. I would love to have another gun & this one is in pink my favorite color.

Crafter 4 Life 06-19-2010 07:27 AM

daffyrs1 -

I think the 25 is meant to be .25 (1/4) - the width of the tape not the amount of the tape on a spool. I know, I had to read the info over again because all of the ATG tape I have has more than 25 yds per spool.

Wish I needed another ATG because of the color. I already have 2 3M 714 ATGs so can't convince myself that I 'need' another. JUST WANT A PINK ONE!!

Cartermrc 06-19-2010 02:28 PM

I caved in and ordered one with extra refills! The pink color decided it for me. If it's a bit lighter weight that's even better. I'd been thinking about finally getting an ATG for a few months. I have a Glue Glider Pro but I'm tired of dealing with it's bulky and expensive refills that I can only find online.

Sew It Seams 06-19-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life (Post 16882951)
daffyrs1 -

I think the 25 is meant to be .25 (1/4) - the width of the tape not the amount of the tape on a spool. I know, I had to read the info over again because all of the ATG tape I have has more than 25 yds per spool.

Wish I needed another ATG because of the color. I already have 2 3M 714 ATGs so can't convince myself that I 'need' another. JUST WANT A PINK ONE!!

My Pink Stamper's website has a video about how to paint your ATG and you could paint it pink or any other color!

I painted with Krylon made for plastic!

lynnephelps 06-19-2010 03:14 PM

It's a nice price but I am so NOT into pink! I have been wanting to get one of these guns. I think I need to buy a hand-me down gun (at hand-me-down price of course!) from one of y'all who NEED a new pink one!

ScrappinMoments 06-19-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sew It Seams (Post 16884404)
My Pink Stamper's website has a video about how to paint your ATG and you could paint it pink or any other color!

I painted with Krylon made for plastic!

I painted mine blue to match my scraproom. I've been trying to talk my daughter into one (she is stuck on the mono adhesive). ATG is just so much more economical.

I'll have to ask her again about it, 24.99 is such a great price.

pjw2855 06-20-2010 07:52 AM

If you're also going the route of the cheaper one, find out how much percentage of the cost is truly going to the cause. Typically it's a very little amount. Many places use it a a ploy to get a sale. You'd be best to just make a direct donation to the cause, then they would get your full donation.

Patti

swillsh 06-20-2010 08:16 AM

That

is something I completely agree with. Get it because you like pink, not because of the donation.

Crafter 4 Life 06-20-2010 09:33 AM

Sew it Seams -

Thanks for the info. Will check out the video on how to paint my red ATG. If you need to unscrew anything, I want to make sure I can put my ATG back in working order. (Sometimes I end up with an extra part - yikes!)

I actually have spray painted a black plastic revolving CD holder to use on my craft table. Also, spray painted a metal magnet display stand I bought when a business was going out of business - it is really sturdy. (I have a friend who covets this find.) Bought some of those round wedding favor containers with a window on top, added some magnetic tape on the back and use them for brads, rhinestones, etc.

ScrappinMoments 06-20-2010 09:58 AM

I wrote up instructions and have pics on my blog when I painted mine. I used the Krylon spray paint made for plastic.

lynnephelps 06-20-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinMoments (Post 16887303)
I wrote up instructions and have pics on my blog when I painted mine. I used the Krylon spray paint made for plastic.

Love your instructions! And your JetMax cubes!!! Nice blog!

mrsskgilbert 06-20-2010 02:25 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but.........

For those with the ATG 714- I need help!!

I just received mine last week and tried to use it for the first time this weekend to make my husband a Fathers Day card- when I would roll out the tape it would get to the end and when I release the trigger I get a blob of tape- like the tape bounces back on itself?? Am I doing something wrong?? Using the wrong tape, I did order the 3m tape from the same place I got the gun?? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help!

kikikaren 06-20-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daffyrs1 (Post 16882461)
Is there a difference between the 3M & the scotch tapes? This one says fits 25 ft. & the 3M tape is 36 ft. I have the ATG gun (red) & plenty of tape. I would love to have another gun & this one is in pink my favorite color.

3M owns Scotch so they should be the same tape, just different widths.

lynnephelps 06-20-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsskgilbert (Post 16888063)
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but.........

For those with the ATG 714- I need help!!

I just received mine last week and tried to use it for the first time this weekend to make my husband a Fathers Day card- when I would roll out the tape it would get to the end and when I release the trigger I get a blob of tape- like the tape bounces back on itself?? Am I doing something wrong?? Using the wrong tape, I did order the 3m tape from the same place I got the gun?? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help!

There are some helpful videos on how to load and use it. When you get to the end you let go of the trigger and then pull up to get a clean end. This video show loading and then the way to pull up at the end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1-2...eature=related

The other thing is you can't have it leaning to the left or the right as you use it - it should be squarely on the paper.

Hope this helps!

mrsskgilbert 06-20-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelps (Post 16889226)
There are some helpful videos on how to load and use it. When you get to the end you let go of the trigger and then pull up to get a clean end. This video show loading and then the way to pull up at the end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB1-2...eature=related

The other thing is you can't have it leaning to the left or the right as you use it - it should be squarely on the paper.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much Lynne

That video really helped! Guess I need to let go of the trigger a little sooner :)

ScrappingStephanie 06-21-2010 02:32 AM

Hello. The new pink ATG takes the same refill tape as the red 714 ATG. I have done lot's of research and I found the best price at stampingscrapping dot com ( I pre-ordered mine from there). Custom Crops originally had it for 27.99 and then raised the price to 29.99 after they got lots of pre-orders. Personally I would never order from Custom Crops again because I only ordered from them once and it took them almost two months to send my order! I currently own the glue glide pro and I can't stand the thing. I can't wait to get my new pink ATG

Stephanie

Betty_S_K 06-21-2010 05:13 AM

Hi,

I just tried to place an order with

for the pink atg gun. It would not take my visa card that is for on line ordering only. The numbers were correct, the code was correct. The year was correct. I typed it in 2 x's. I had to use the family master card.

Now I will have to explain to my husband why I need another ATG gun. "It is pink or how about There is too much cancer in my family and every penny helps to save my life."

And to top it off, the first one never did work correctly. I just never had time to send it back. I always needed it. Convention swaps that a buddy took to convention for me, reginals, etc. Than a year passed and another. I just could not part with it.

Anyways, did any one other than me have problems ordering it? May be it was me.

Betty

daffyrs1 06-21-2010 06:25 AM

Well I just took the plunge...I couldn't help myself, my fingers would not stop & I hit the order button & placed my order!

Crafter 4 Life 06-21-2010 06:32 AM

It worked!!! I used the Krylon spray paint for plastic and painted my ATG a light green (Celery). This is the same color I used on my repurposed finds. Placed floral vinyl & vellum sticker on the painted side - left the opaque side unpainted so that I can see how much tape is left on the roll.

Thanks for the link to the My Pink Stamper video.

Crafter 4 Life 06-21-2010 06:42 AM

Betty_S_K

If your 3M ATG never worked correctly, you should still contact C/S at 3M. I forget the name of the person assigsned to getting the 714 mess corrected but she was really helpful. (Had to contact her several times before my problem with the defective ATG was resolved.) She is an assest to 3M as far as customer relations is concerned. I'm sure 3M wants satisfied customers. Here is a phone number I found that is to the 3M Tape and Adhesive products customer service- #1-800-362-3550

Good luck. Even if you did order the new pink on, having 2 isn't a bad thing!

Bethshaya 06-21-2010 11:30 AM

According to the feedback at Custom Crops, it seems Custom Crops had it first listed for $24.99 and then went up to $29.99 when the Susan Komen donation was added. I didn't think that was right. Instead of donating their money, they are donating yours and just raising the price.

Scrapjanny 06-21-2010 02:24 PM

Well, girls, I just painted my orange one blue, and it came out great! I took the whole thing apart - including the trigger - and masked off only the transparent plastic side. I actually used paper and taped it over the plastic. Worked like a charm. Now to decorate it with rub-ons.

lynnephelps 06-21-2010 02:39 PM

StampingScrapping.com has it on pre-order for $24.99. I have ordered from them before, they have free shipping over $50 and their customer service is very good.
http://www.stampingscrapping.com/ite...-Gun--PINK.htm

They also have the tape, but they are $5.99 for a roll of quarter-inch Gold.

Someone said that framingsupplies.com had the cheapest price for a roll of gold, and they are $3.49 for 1 to 12 quanitity and a few pennies off for higher quantities.
http://www.framingsupplies.com/3M/3MATGTape.htm Scroll down for the Gold tape.

Gold tape is acid free and the regular tape, which is MUCH less, is not. I am not a scrapper so I keep wondering how essential the acid free factor is, really? On the other hand my cards are little pieces of artwork to me, even if no one else, so I guess I'll stick with the Gold tape!
:-)
I sure wish they had a lime green model. I'll probably order the pink because the price is right and paint it. Or maybe I can find a red one used now that people are jumping to pink!

I really hate pink - my mother dressed me in it all the time as a little girl. I was a carrot-top, the clash with the hair was incredible!! It turned carrot into incandescent, and I have never recovered from the trauma!

lynnephelps 06-21-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 16892614)
Well, girls, I just painted my orange one blue, and it came out great! I took the whole thing apart - including the trigger - and masked off only the transparent plastic side. I actually used paper and taped it over the plastic. Worked like a charm. Now to decorate it with rub-ons.

Hope you took pictures along the way, especially of how you dissected the whole thing! Love the idea of no pesky masking!!!

Scrapjanny 06-21-2010 05:04 PM

Actually, I didn't; but I might disassemble it again and take photos. It was really very easy. In fact, I was almost able to pop the hinges open on the front. That would have eliminated the need to mask at all; but one stubborn hinge refused to budge, and I didn't want to break it. I've always enjoyed taking things apart. In fact, my dog chewed my Blackberry twice, and I was able to replace the red casing with a blue one by taking it apart and putting it back together myself. :)

ScrappinMoments 06-21-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 16893271)
Didn't you still have to mask where the gears go on? I saw that the other poster did that.

I actually used my Slice and cut out a circle. Then just cut an X in the middle of the circle to slide it down over the stem. After that, just tape up the stem. Make sense?

ScrappinMoments 06-21-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 16893246)
Actually, I didn't; but I might disassemble it again and take photos. It was really very easy. In fact, I was almost able to pop the hinges open on the front. That would have eliminated the need to mask at all; but one stubborn hinge refused to budge, and I didn't want to break it. I've always enjoyed taking things apart. In fact, my dog chewed my Blackberry twice, and I was able to replace the red casing with a blue one by taking it apart and putting it back together myself. :)

I actually dropped mine while I was masking it and the lip popped off. My heart sank, thinking I broke it. It didn't and it made it so much easier to paint. I would not recommend it, will just say it is possible to get the lid off. I did so by accident.

michellesscrap 06-21-2010 09:49 PM

The difference between these pinks and the original 714 is the durability. If you use yours alot you are still better off getting the 714, as they are made for commercial use and the pink ones are not. That and the color is the only difference.

lynnephelps 06-21-2010 10:39 PM

Does anyone have the ATG-50 gun from Tape Depot? One of the things I like about the design of this gun is that you have a clear line of sight from above to the point of application. This would not be possible with the 3M ATG 714. It looks pretty sturdy too, rugged even, and it is the same price as the upcoming pink gun.

It looks like the identical gun is sold as the JVCC ATG1 ATG Tape Dispenser (and JVCC has acid free 1/4" tape for $1.99/spool) and also as the Shurtape SD-950.

Has any one used both the Tape Depot ATG-50 and the 3M ATG 714, so as to offer a comparison?

monahattie 06-22-2010 02:22 AM

I have the ATG 714 &, for the most part - love it! One question for those who have this model - do any of you have a problem with the 1/4" tape slipping off the last roller wheel? I have to keep pushing my tape back into place while I am using it. Very discouraging & feel that I must be doing something incorrect.
Karen in NB, Canada

Scrapjanny 06-22-2010 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnephelps (Post 16894331)
Does anyone have the ATG-50 gun from Tape Depot? One of the things I like about the design of this gun is that you have a clear line of sight from above to the point of application. This would not be possible with the 3M ATG 714. It looks pretty sturdy too, rugged even, and it is the same price as the upcoming pink gun.

It looks like the identical gun is sold as the JVCC ATG1 ATG Tape Dispenser (and JVCC has acid free 1/4" tape for $1.99/spool) and also as the Shurtape SD-950.

Has any one used both the Tape Depot ATG-50 and the 3M ATG 714, so as to offer a comparison?

Yes, I have the one from The Tape Depot and use the JVCC tape. Works great.

Scrapjanny 06-22-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gale (Post 16893271)
Didn't you still have to mask where the gears go on? I saw that the other poster did that.

I took the gears out and put one small piece of masking tape over the silver spindles. That was the easiest part of the masking. I'm going to do a video later on how to take it apart and put it back together. It will be on my blog.

lynnephelps 06-22-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapjanny (Post 16894448)
Yes, I have the one from The Tape Depot and use the JVCC tape. Works great.

Do you get the JVCC tape from Tape Depot also? I love it that they have free shipping over $50.

The tapes are a bit confusing - I thought from Tape Depot the right thing to order would be ATG-7502 which is 1/4" acid free.