Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question what is your favorites set of alphabet dies??

I am a Cuttlebug owner and am looking to purchase a set of alphabet dies. I have only used the embossing folders so far (love them) and am looking to expand.

What is your favorite set....
Can I use different brands of alphabet dies with my Cuttlebug (Sizzix etc)?

If you can post a sample of your work, please do. It's hard to tell what it looks like just from the website. Thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

You can use all dies in your Cuttlebug. You just have to use the right sandwich for each different makers die. My favorite is Olivia. Type in Cuttlebug Olivia in the gallery here to see some examples with this alpha set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 'Harmony' alphie set. I just happened upon it at a Joann's for $19.99 so snatched it up. Wanted to get 'Olivia' but for $19.99 I think it looks great!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a card I did with a Cuttlekids alphabet set. It was on sale at Michaels for $7.50 and works great in the Cuttlebug. They have a couple of different ones in Cuttlekids and they are much much cheaper than the ones for Cuttlebug.

Bede's Birthday by buggainok at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

thanks a bunch, this is very helpful. I was so overwhelmed by the choices.

Great tip about the Cuttlekids dies!! I'm hoping to go out to ACMoore or Michael's later..if I have a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sizzix has some alphies that are $19.99 but you need to buy their extended plates-cutting and the thick white one. This may be an option with a coupon even if the regular price isn't that high.

I looked at the Cuttlekids at one time but didn't think they were going to be useful for me because they were too 'cute' for my purposes. Don't make enough kids stuff to make even the sale price cost effective for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I LOVE my unicase Chocolate Quickutz die!! It gets a lot of use! I use it in the CB when I don't have my Revolution out and it works just like the nesties for the sandwich.

For larger alphas, I am torn between QK Magnolia and Cosmopolitan. I use them both a LOT depending on the style of my project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

I have to say that my all time fav is Hippie Chick for my cuttlebug. I use it all the time. I also wanted to share a helpful tidbit - before I run my paper through my bug - I put it through my Xyron sticker maker - it makes it so much easier to adhere to my projects!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I love all the Quickutz 4x8 alphabets - Storybook is great since it has upper and lower case - but I really do use them all, all the time!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #10  
Vintage Vixen

I have just one Cuttlebug alphabet set, Harmony. I like it a lot. Here are some scrapbook pages I made for my mom's 50th high school class reunion, showing both upper and lower case and a couple of the numbers.

Witty and Lively Carol

WHS '58

Slumber Party at Welty's

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Default CB alphas

I remember the dim, distant past when I asked myself - what's a die cut machine and why would these silly women want one?! I make mostly cards and I imagined that die cuts were for kids scrapbook pages, like railroad cars or cut outs of ballet shoes. Welllllll, that was a year and a half ago and now I have a CB (love it x 3!!!) and lots of embossing folders and dies. I have become one of them! I have four alphabets: hippie chick, red tag sale, olivia and the cuttlekids one that a previous poster showed you. I like the selection that I have because I think I have all styles covered and really don't think I will get any more. I just used the red tag sale last night to make a card for my son. Olivia and red tag sale come with numbers and that's a great feature.I use them more than I thought I would. Hippie Chick is a larger alphabet than Olivia and has a funkier shape. Red tag sale has a bold chunky shape that is more masculine and fatter. I really haven't used the cuttlekids alpha yet, but I think that it will also be useful (and let's face it, a lot cheaper when you get it with a coupon!). The next time I had a coupon, I bought the matching numbers, as they don't come with it.

If I had to choose a starter alphabet, I'd get Olivia. It's a classic and a good size. I bought Olivia and Hippe Chick on the B/S/T board for very little money and I found red tag sale on e-bay for about $20. I didn't pay more than $24 for any of them and they were totally worth it.

I have been eyeing the alphabets billboard sizzlets and naturally serif, in the SU! catalog. They are the ones that are on a long strip. I know that this would require the extended cutting pads, but when you are using an alphabet, you usually don't want to cut every letter, so couldn't they be used with the regular cutting pads just to get the letters that you want? I know that it's intended purpose is probably to use on a 12 x 12 page, but I thought you could use them like a regular alphabet, cutting only the letters that you need. I wondered about the size of the letters. Mebbe .5"? Didn't I JUST say that I wasn't going to buy any more?! I thought that if the letters were smaller than what I have, they may be useful for cards. Storage might be a bit of an issue - those suckers are loooong!

Last edited by jutta; 02-22-2009 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: thought of something else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
I LOVE my unicase Chocolate Quickutz die!! It gets a lot of use! I use it in the CB when I don't have my Revolution out and it works just like the nesties for the sandwich.

For larger alphas, I am torn between QK Magnolia and Cosmopolitan. I use them both a LOT depending on the style of my project.
I 'm looking for a big alphabet die set to use with my CB and I saw Cosmopolitan, it is really cute, but is it compatible with the CB?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Olivia....I just love it. I purchased NINE alphas and sold all of them but this one. I also have a couple of the Cuttlekids ones...Tadpole is one of them that comes to mind.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Glad I found this thread. I've been looking at Olivia on clearance at Hobby Lobby for several weeks. This thread persuaded me, so I purchased it today.

My Blog http://sweetvioletspaperie.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Default Olivia

I have four alphabets, but Olivia is my most used set.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes