Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Perfect Layers - Tips? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/perfect-layers-tips-317798/)

JamieDinnsen 01-22-2008 01:04 PM

Perfect Layers - Tips?

Anyone have any tips for using this tool?

Thanks!
Jamie :-)

Deb Za 01-22-2008 03:11 PM

I've had mine since they first came out on QVC years ago. They're great! Adhere your top layer (picture or whatever) to the background mat. Lay the PL ruler of your choice on the background and slide the little 'lip' to the edge of that top item. Hold it steady and cut with your exacto knife. I fell in love with the tiniest borders for mine. Works great especially for multiple borders.

mrsjllove 01-22-2008 03:32 PM

I have been in love with my Perfect Layers for years now! I'm not so good with the exacto knife, so I use my rotary cutter and just run it along the PL. Zip-zap it goes!

bnlnkids 01-22-2008 03:36 PM

I LOVE my PL tool, as well! Use it on every single card and scapbook page. Worth it's weight in gold! :D

The only tip I have that hasn't been mentioned is sometimes people find standing while cutting helps to prevent the tool from slipping. It really helps when you're doing multiple layers and really need that extra weight behind you to keep the tool stable while cutting. HTH :)

craftingpink 01-22-2008 04:34 PM

I have never heard of this tool. Is there a picture of it somewhere and what does it do? Where does one get one?

pinkhedgehog 01-22-2008 04:48 PM

The main thing I use mine for are those odd shapes when I want exact layers, like tags. For regular rectangles and squares, I just use my paper cutter. I love the idea of using a rotary cutter, I'll have to try that!

Ferg 01-22-2008 06:41 PM

I never use it because, I keep cutting the perfect layers with the exacto knife. But, I think I will try the rotary cutter too.

mrsjllove 01-22-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferg (Post 8471274)
I never use it because, I keep cutting the perfect layers with the exacto knife. But, I think I will try the rotary cutter too.

That's why I went to the rotary scissor...The first set I bought were so cut up and chipped so I bought another and cut it almost immediately so I decided to try the rotary cutter and I haven't looked back from there! :p

Ferg 01-22-2008 06:48 PM

Me too, this is my second set. I ended up cutting it too. So thanks for the tip.:p

Lynn in St. Louis 01-23-2008 01:41 AM

Something that I have noticed with my perfect layer rulers is that over time the pastic has warped a bit, making a straight line impossible. I'm not sure how to correct this and I really love this tool, so I'll either try to figure out a way to heat the plastic a bit so that I can bend it back into shape or just buy new ones.

Has anyone else noticed this with theirs? I have had mine for a couple of years now. :(

Stamper121 01-23-2008 05:41 AM

Keep your fingers FAR AWAY from the edge....almost took the top of my middle finger off one day while using it. Luckily, I had a tiny bit of my finger hanging on. Didnt have to get stitches, but they used butterfly stitches....so please be careful.

Sonya

barbara s 01-23-2008 07:12 AM

I love my perfect layers. It seems folks either love or hate it!

Try a wider layer first, 1/2 inch or so. You can see that the "lip" of the ruler lines up. Try a practice cut or two before cutting around a photo!

Barb

suzyqd 01-23-2008 07:44 AM

I love my perfect layer tool! I use it all the time. My scrapbooking friends
call me the Matting Queen. My tip would be that you always use a sharp blade. When your blade in your exacto knife gets dull, it is really hard to get a good cut.

canben 01-23-2008 08:33 AM

I'm actually working on a tutorial on how to use this for my blog! I'm hoping to have it up tonight or very soon! We'll see! I'll post here when it's up!

ninajeanette2 01-23-2008 10:28 AM

what is this????

scrappinspadiva 01-23-2008 11:04 AM

I was given PL by a friend who never used it but have no idea how to use it myself. I'll be looking for that tutorial. :)

Gatomom 01-23-2008 03:17 PM

If you go to www.qvc.com and put in item number F00911 you will see a picture - it looks like it's on wait list right now - I couldn't function without these I use them every time I make a card. LOVE THEM!!

canben 01-23-2008 05:26 PM

OK, here it is! PLEASE let me know what you think! I'm open to ANY and ALL suggestions!

http://suzysmikes.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html

Tamschro 01-23-2008 06:30 PM

I love my PL. Saves so much time! :) I think I'll try a rotary cutter - never thought to do that. I noticed mine are started to get a little beat up from the exacto knife as well. But perfect everytime! Love it!

Erin K 01-24-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canben (Post 8484102)
OK, here it is! PLEASE let me know what you think! I'm open to ANY and ALL suggestions!

http://suzysmikes.blogspot.com/2008/...-tutorial.html

Looks good to me. :)

imataloss 01-24-2008 08:59 AM

I have found that if I don't put my adhesive all the way to the edge, the edge kind of sticks up a little bit and the PL tool seem to grab on better. I hope this makes sense.