Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find glass etching cream?

I've never tried glass etching and want to give it a try. I read somewhere on this site to use Armour Etch Cream. I am going to a couple craft stores today and was wondering where in the store I would find it? Many times in both of these local craft stores the sales people have no idea when I ask for an out of the ordinary item, so I want to be prepared. :rolleyes:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have a Michael's, they carry it in a couple of different sizes of jars. In mine it's in an aisle one or two over from the candles. Makes sense because a lot of the items one might etch are glass candle holders, such as the hurricane lamps, etc. Be prepared, the stuff isn't cheap by any means! A small jar is around $10-12 I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy4StampinView Post
I've never tried glass etching and want to give it a try. I read somewhere on this site to use Armour Etch Cream. I am going to a couple craft stores today and was wondering where in the store I would find it? Many times in both of these local craft stores the sales people have no idea when I ask for an out of the ordinary item, so I want to be prepared. :rolleyes:
Check out www.etchall.com before you buy Armour etching creme...etchall is easy to use, non-toxic and reusuable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Try these places

Try Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and also Joanns Etc., and if you have a Pat Catan's in your area, try them as well. Prices vary at all these places. They are all try to compete for your money. I've even seen it in the aisle of Wal-mart in their craft aisle.
Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the replies. I got interupted yesterday right after I posted this. (UPS) Had to rush out and deliver a hostess order and never even got to check back here.

I did find the etching cream...the woman I asked in Michael's knew exactly where it was , so that was good. I wish I would have read your reply Betsy, because I was shocked that the jar I picked up was $24.99! Luckily I spotted a smaller jar hanging from a hook above the shelf and that was only $10.99. I got that one with my coupon to give this technique a try.

At my Michaels it was by the stained glass supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Remember you can reuse the etching cream- scrape off what you can and put it back in the jar before rinsing the rest off. It doesn't all have to go down the drain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I saw some at Hobby Lobby yesterday for $17.99. I didn't have a coupon with me so I'm going to go back and get it.

I can't wait to try it! I think I'm going to do some ornaments.

What kind of materials do you use to make templates? Is regular plastic (like quilting template plastic) ok or do you need something special?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Be careful with the stuff...the night before my wedding I decided to make some etched glass gifts for my bridesmaids and I made them fine...even wore gloves, etc. Then while cleaning stuff I picked up something that had the etching stuff on it (and I had my gloves off) and I spent hours in the ER treating my hand! (But the glasses did come out nice ;) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymommaView Post
Be careful with the stuff...the night before my wedding I decided to make some etched glass gifts for my bridesmaids and I made them fine...even wore gloves, etc. Then while cleaning stuff I picked up something that had the etching stuff on it (and I had my gloves off) and I spent hours in the ER treating my hand! (But the glasses did come out nice ;) )
My husband is a chemist and was appalled what was in the cream. He brought me home special gloves that he wears in the lab, and will not let me use it with regular rubber gloves. The armour etch is some powerful stuff!

I'm so sorry you spent the night before your wedding in the ER :( but glad the glasses look nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymommaView Post
That is terrible that happened to you...especially the night before your wedding! Thanks for reminding me to wear gloves!
Reply With Quote Likes