Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Paper trimmer (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/paper-trimmer-553418/)

linadelgado 05-03-2012 02:30 PM

Paper trimmer

Can anyone tell me which is the best paper trimmer?

twink-a-dink 05-04-2012 03:37 AM

Well, it depends on what you will be cutting. I have a Dahle 550 for cutting mat board, heavy corrugated cardboard as well as several thicknesses of chipboard down to 3" and larger. I have a little Fiskars trimmer for fine cutting one sheet of paper or cardstock at one time.

I had a Cutterpede and I was very unhappy with that for so many reasons. It was wonky and would not even cut through ONE piece of THIN scrap paper. I also had a Zutter Cutter - the guide is really WONKY - tho a great concept - worthless waste of a LOT of money.

Love the Dahle & the Fiskars!

stampsinblue 05-04-2012 04:33 AM

Cutter recommendations

I have the Tonic 12x12 and 6" guillotine paper cutters. I ordered both of mine from Joann's online. {5/4/12: Both are currently on sale}

I have had both for 3+ years. Both are still very sharp & cut a nice, straight line every time. The 12x12 will cut approx. 3 sheets of heavy cardstock at a time. It also has a finger guard/piece that holds your paper all the way down the edge. Keeps your fingertips attached & helps keep the paper from shifting while you cut!

I keep the smaller trimmer right on my desk for small cuts or "touch-ups" on card edges. The ruled grid lines on it are about 4x6". It is a little bigger than that overall (maybe 5"x8"?)

Like other posters, I have had other cutters/trimmers I tried and was unhappy. I have never been unhappy with the Tonic cutters.

Cinnistew 05-06-2012 03:28 PM

The Genesis with the edge light... hands down the best cutter and worth the money.

Genesis

TLady 05-08-2012 06:09 AM

I've had the Fiskars cutter- you have to replace the blade constantly. There ARE some projects that need that type of cutter, just from the way their instructions are written. I've had a Making Memories cutter- the blade NEVER needed to be replaced. (It was a cast-a-away.) It was GREAT till a part broke off. Then, I was on the hunt for a new cutter! I purchased a Tonic 12 x 12 Guillotine. I REALLY always wanted a guillotine! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Got it for Christmas. I have been having just a little trouble with a CLEAN CUT at the very end of bringing down my blade. MAYBE, all I need is a little sharpener? I've noticed if I bring the blade down with a quick snap it does fine. ANYWAY, I DO like the Guillotine type cutter OVER-ALL of all the cutters out there! (As I've described, I am NOT an expert in cutters! Just someone who's tried a few & knows what she likes! :) )

TLady 05-08-2012 06:13 AM

I might add to my post, PRICE is a factor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT everyone out there can afford a top of the line cutter!!!!!!!!!! :) Use Amazon.com or Joanns.com! Joanns' has sales & coupons from time to time which help in over-all cost! HAPPY HUNTING!!!!!!! :)