Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Paper drinking straws (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/paper-drinking-straws-570680/)

kimberlym 03-25-2013 05:25 AM

Paper drinking straws

Just wondering if anyone has used these paper straws in drinks. I am wanting to know how they hold up in cold drinks like lemonade.

Queen & Co has their Stylish Stix at Archivers now. Their website says you can use them for drinking (and of course paper crafting), but I wasn't sure.

Thanks!
Kim

shazsilverwolf 03-25-2013 08:48 AM

Well, being old enough to remember the days before plastic, lol, I can say that they used to hold up pretty well! As long as you didn't squish the end by biting it! seriously, they used to be the norm, and do work perfectly well, I think todays kids would just need to learn to be a bit more gentle with them than with plastic ones.

kimberlym 03-25-2013 09:31 AM

Thank you!

binx 03-25-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 20078647)
Well, being old enough to remember the days before plastic, lol, I can say that they used to hold up pretty well! As long as you didn't squish the end by biting it! seriously, they used to be the norm, and do work perfectly well, I think todays kids would just need to learn to be a bit more gentle with them than with plastic ones.

Right there with you, shazsilverwolf! :rolleyes: But I must've been a biter; mine usually got squished near the end.

shazsilverwolf 03-26-2013 08:28 AM

lol. I happily admit to remembering 'before plastic', lol. Many years ago, my youngest son, who is now 26, had just started school. and they were doing a class project about dinosaurs. I was picking him up from school with my eldest sons girlfriend, now my DIL,when he asked me ' what were the dinosaurs like when you were little Mom?' My DIL nearly wet herself laughing, and still comments on my not looking anywhere near my apparent great age!

gregzgurl 03-26-2013 03:02 PM

Another one here who remembers when plastic straws were "new-fangled contraptions" :)
The paper ones were fine unless you nursed that drink f..o..r..e..v..e..r, with the straw in your mouth the whole time, or were a biter, as previously mentioned...

binx 03-26-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 20080753)
lol. I happily admit to remembering 'before plastic', lol. Many years ago, my youngest son, who is now 26, had just started school. and they were doing a class project about dinosaurs. I was picking him up from school with my eldest sons girlfriend, now my DIL,when he asked me ' what were the dinosaurs like when you were little Mom?' My DIL nearly wet herself laughing, and still comments on my not looking anywhere near my apparent great age!

Ouch! and LOL! hilarious!!! ;) funny what children think. i had a friend whose son once asked her (woke up to his first snow on the ground) "How'd you do that, Mom?"

Cartermrc 03-26-2013 08:48 PM

Remember them well! They didn't hold up to milkshakes very well, but were OK for regular cold beverages. What I miss are the little indentations that make the straw bend. Wonder if paper straws will make a comeback due to concerns about plastics.

RiverIsis 03-27-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartermrc (Post 20081691)
Remember them well! They didn't hold up to milkshakes very well, but were OK for regular cold beverages. What I miss are the little indentations that make the straw bend. Wonder if paper straws will make a comeback due to concerns about plastics.

Bendy straws are still out there. I'm sure I had one the last time we went out for a meal.

kaufeestamper 03-29-2013 07:15 PM

I think they are so cute and am intrigued. I'm a bit crunchy and wonder if there's bleach in them. But I have a food blog and would love to use them in my photos...I love smoothies! :)