Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   which one? cricut or other (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/one-cricut-other-544678/)

zminny 12-25-2011 09:13 PM

which one? cricut or other

am looking to see if i would want a cricut or other cutter...
am soooo confused :(
any suggestions?
tia

Erica Fields 12-25-2011 09:37 PM

Well, I have a Silhouette Cameo. It die cuts using a USB port on your PC/laptop. Now, don't laugh, but I haven't used it yet. It is however, looking quite pretty on my craft table. The holidays have swamped me. I can tell you that Overstock.com has the best price...goes from 249 to 259, kinda back & forth. It also accommodates 12x12 papers. I don't believe any other diecut machine does this. Check out YouTube for lots of videos. Also, Joan Bardee at PAPERLICIOUS loves hers. Time...I just need time.

Harley Queen 12-25-2011 10:02 PM

I have a Cricut and a KNK Zing. The Zing is a new acquisition. It comes with Make The Cut (MTC) software that is incredibly easy to use. Love it. The Zing also gives much better cuts. You can easily design your own images using MTC or cut any ttf font. It's easy to weld your letters and images and give them backgrounds. Unfortunately the Cricut is not as strong or detailed of a cutter and you're tied to proprietary images sold by Cricut. So for each new alpa, you have to shell out $20 - $50 as opposed to just downloading a free font to use.

lylacfey 12-25-2011 11:36 PM

If you don't want to be tied to your computer look for a stand alone system such as the Making Memories Slice or Cricut. Also Sizzix eClips is another good cutter and you can use cartridges from Sizzix or SCAL to cut out your own images.

If you only plan to work with light materials such as cardstock, thin cotton fabrics, vinyl, magnets etc look at a Silhouette machine or if your across the pond a Craft Robo. You will need a computer for this machine.

If you want heavy duty cutters for cutting out balsa wood, chipboard, acetate, fun foam, etc... look at the BossKut Gazelle, KNK Zing or Black Cat Cougar. There are few others on the market too but I have narrowed it down to those three because they are the most popular right now so you will be able to learn this machine better. Die cutters you do need to set down and learn these machines. You can't just plug it in and start cutting. If you get a cutter that is not popular it can cause all sorts of headaches trying to figure out how to use it. Now, you have a useless paper weight. All three of those cutters I have named you will need a computer to run them.

Ridiculously Obsessed 12-26-2011 03:47 AM

Go with the Silhoutte Cameo ---it is great! Has a learning curve to it ---takes time ---but even I figured it out. Just got it a couple weeks ago! Buy it today at OhMyCrafts ---269.99 with 20% off coupon --ends up like 215.99 ---that is what I paid a couple weeks ago! Great buy! Is fantastic to use!

dflora3168 12-26-2011 04:23 PM

Skip the "C", research the Zing, if it's in your budget and you have lots of different materials you want to cut. If your budget is smaller, like mine, go with the Cameo...I love it!

cardsbynikki 12-26-2011 07:09 PM

I love my Bosskut Gazelle. There is a learning curve to it but the support is amazing, there is a lot of information for it, and a lot of learning videos. Terri and the BK Crew will lead you through learning the cutter. It does take time to learn, it is not really plug-and-play....but the possibilities with the Gazelle are truly endless :)

zminny 12-27-2011 10:30 AM

what about

any ideas or comments on the craftwell ecraft?