Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, what's wrong with my Sew Mini???

It's been working just fine....I generally only do straight stitches on my card because zig zags scare me. HOWEVER, I was finally ready to use that stitch on a card (of course, mistakes never happen on practice paper, only on REAL designer paper!!) & it was missing stitches. It made the zig zag HOLES, but it only laid down the thread in a straight stitch. I *have* practiced with the zig zag & I've never had a problem.....which is why I was so ready to use it on a card....sob....& I am so sewing-challenged (first machine ever) so I'm not sure what the problem is. Should I unthread the needle & rethread it?? In the manual it says if it skips stitches it's either the wrong needle, or it's threaded wrong. Neither is the case....sniff....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I know when you sew heaviy fabrics you need a different needle, bigger I think. And maybe the tension is off. Do you know tension in sewing? Maybe fix that?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I've had the tension at 4 since I got it & it's always worked fine. That's the weird part...I haven't changed anything, & I've always only used it for paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

In real life I sew. Always have. I taught myself to sew 33 years ago!
I've worn out 2 really good sewing machines and now have a "cheap" one.

What I've noticed with this machine is that I need to sew slowly or it skips stitches.
Sometimes if I sew too quickly the bobbin thread comes undone. You may want to check that both threads are correctly threaded through the machine.

I definitely can understand your frustration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:29 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Definitely check the bobbin thread--is it broken or has the thread run out? Rethread the top and make sure that you have the same thread weight in the bobbin and the top. Are your feed dogs in the correct position? I don't know anything about the Sew Mini so that question may make no sense (sorry if that's the case). Try a piece of scrap fabric and see if it does the same thing...maybe it's the type of cardstock you are using--too thick? Try with a different weight of cardstock and see if that may be the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to GinaK's blog. She has a series of great photo tutorials on the Sew Mini. Scroll down on the left. it sounds like you might have a problem with either your tension or your bobbin.

http://blog.ginakdesigns.com/

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

I did something to mine and it does that now. I think I jammed it somehow. Not sure what I did but I totally knocked the bobbin holder out of whack. DH fixed it so it will sew straight stitches now but for some reason it still won't zig zag or sew on the setting where the needle has to sew on the left side. When I zig zag I get a straight stitch lined by hole on the left. Sews in the center ok, just won't sew on the left...not sure what I did but totally bummed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I tried rethreading both the needle & the bobbin, & it's still doing it. Like I said it *was* working, & I really haven't used the zig zag much because I've been putting off practicing it, lol, nothing got jammed....nothing got broken....it just decided not to work anymore. Geez, I just got it the day after Thanksgiving, & I've only used it (with the straight stitch) a handful of times.

Here's a pic of what it's doing....sorry for the white thread on white paper, I just did it to test it & didn't think to use another color. As you can see, it does it right every other stitch, or every 2 stitches. Odd.

Ok, what's wrong with my Sew Mini???-dscf4792.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

The timing is off on it. Check the needle -- not only that it is in correctly, but that it is not damaged (bent where it shouldn't be!).

If re-threading, checking/changing the needle and sewing slowly don't work, it may need professional help.

Oh! Have you done any sewing on it other that paper? Have you stored it where it might get dusty? It's possible that it needs a cleaning. Dust bunnies sometimes mess up the works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, it does sit out.....so I will check for those darn bunnies that seem to love my home so much. I haven't used it on anything but paper....but I will check the needle. I have heard that if it's even slightly bent it will affect how it stitches. I did try "hand sewing" too, to no avail....

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I've done everything that was suggested....to no avail I contacted Janome, & as I expected from reading other's posts, they want $10 to ship it to them. Not worth it to me. I can't afford another machine right now, so I guess I'll just be using the straight stitch. I knew it was a crap shoot when I bought it, as I had read some people got some lemons, I was just hoping I would get a good one (I should have known better, lol)

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

Oh, I'm sorry.

I really miss my OLD Singer machines. I had 2 that lasted 23 years (I had them at the same time and they died at the same time!)

They've been replaced twice within 5 years -- and I don't even sew as much as I used to!
Reply With Quote Likes