Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Copics do you use?

Hi there,
this is on my Santa wish list. I've been using my Prisma pencils but have heard such great things re: the Copics. So it looks like there are different levels of Copics with the more advanced being obviously more expensive but refillable. And then the more basic Ciao markers for around $100 for 36. I'm presuming that's what I need. Any thoughts? OH, also are these available at Michaels (where a 40% off coupon might be used?? ) That sounds too good to be true tho!
Thanks
Leigh
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I use Sketch...for a few reasons:

1> They are oval so they won't roll
2> They have the color printed on the ends
3> They have more ink to start with
4> They come in more colors

Original also do all of the above, however they don't have a brush tip like the Ciao and Sketch.

I would steer away from a boxed set if you can help it...they cost exactly the same per marker and the only advantage is the case. The drawback is that you get colors you may never use, and you don't get enough blending options that you WILL use. I would stick to picking individual colors at first.

Nope...they aren't at Micheals...only Hobby Lobby and VERY limited there. (at least as far as big-coupon stores)

Try oozak.com, creativeplaystamps.com, merriartist.com and copicmarkers.com for some of the best prices with free shipping options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I use the Sketch too, I did buy a boxed set at www.dickblick.com at a great price.
I bought the 72 marker set A for about $300 which works out to be $4.17 a marker. I have used almost all the colors in the box. You have to work a bit more with blending because there are numbers missing and there are quite a few in the black and grey family.
I use mine on almost every card I create so between those and the Spica pens I'm happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

The information you've gotten so far is good! I just wanted to pop in and say that all of the Copic markers, even the Ciaos, can be refilled.
Happy shopping! I love my Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Good info so far and I agree with Shannan - although Copic don't market them as refillable, you can pull the chisel nib out of the Ciao and refill. They also say you can't use them in the airbrush system but with a couple of foam dimensionals in there it works just fine

One thing I do like about the Ciao over the Sketch/Original is that when you take the cap off one end, you can 'park' it on the other end while you use the marker. With the other styles, you have to put the cap down somewhere and with the state of my craft table, I'm usually in serious danger of losing it!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

If you want to buy them individually and you have a Dick Blick near you, they have every color Copic makes. If you sign up for their coupon list, you get 30% off coupons occasionally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

If you want to understand the difference between the markers and find the style that's right for you, check out this link:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...es-part-1.html

Then, visit the sidebar on my blog for links to features of each marker type.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
If you want to understand the difference between the markers and find the style that's right for you, check out this link:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...es-part-1.html

Then, visit the sidebar on my blog for links to features of each marker type.

HTH!
Definitely check out Marianne's blog! Everything I know about Copics I learned from there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedView Post
Hi there,
this is on my Santa wish list. I've been using my Prisma pencils but have heard such great things re: the Copics. So it looks like there are different levels of Copics with the more advanced being obviously more expensive but refillable. And then the more basic Ciao markers for around $100 for 36. I'm presuming that's what I need. Any thoughts? OH, also are these available at Michaels (where a 40% off coupon might be used?? ) That sounds too good to be true tho!
Thanks
Leigh
I have been wanting these markers too. Since they are going up in price the first of the year:( ,I broke down and ordered some. I am SOOOO :-D that I did. I ordered from Oozak.com. They are super nice,great service and there prices I think are the best.Also.I placed the order on Friday and they were in my mail box on Tuesday!!

I started with the ciaos since they are less expensive. I did order 1 of the original and 1 sketch too. I wanted to see which ones I like best. They are all nice but I do prefer either the ciao or the sketch over the original. The original is a square marker. It is nice to have the number and color on the ends,but for the difference in price I was able to get more for my money. I can right the numbers on the marker caps to save the money. I will buy the sketch though in the colors that do not come in the ciaos. I am already thinking of doing another order with Oozak before the end of the year!!

You are going to love them!!! HTH
Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I agree with what everyone else is saying, I have both the sketch and Ciao and I love them. Just to let you know that there was a thread on here earlier this week and they were saying that the price of the Copic's are suppose to be going up in the new year so now is a good time to order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's what I did...I just bought Copics in the last 2 months and now have about 65 of them. I have a LSS that sells all of the Ciao's. I bought the Ciao's that I wanted and then filled in with the Sketch markers on the other colors Ciao's don't come in. i personally like the feel of the Ciao in my hand better since a round shaped pen is more familiar to my hand vs. an off shape. My Lss has a refill program for like $2 per marker, so not bad. So far, I am totally in LOVE with my copics and wish I had not waited to buy them!!

I feel like Po in Kung-Fu Panda, but instead of yelling, "I love Kung-Fu", while jumping in the air, I am yelling, " I love Copics!"

Sorry, I have kids....

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinanglerView Post
Here's what I did...I just bought Copics in the last 2 months and now have about 65 of them. I have a LSS that sells all of the Ciao's. I bought the Ciao's that I wanted and then filled in with the Sketch markers on the other colors Ciao's don't come in. i personally like the feel of the Ciao in my hand better since a round shaped pen is more familiar to my hand vs. an off shape. My Lss has a refill program for like $2 per marker, so not bad. So far, I am totally in LOVE with my copics and wish I had not waited to buy them!!

I feel like Po in Kung-Fu Panda, but instead of yelling, "I love Kung-Fu", while jumping in the air, I am yelling, " I love Copics!"

Sorry, I have kids....
I wish we had more LSS around me. I only know of on and she does not carry any copics:( That is great about the refill program. Wish I lived near you.

I agree with you and "I love Copics!"

Gail :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #13  
Inking Addict

THANKS to everyone! You are all a wealth of info. I def need to go off and read more. Suspect the Ciao is for me. Soooo does anyone use their old Zig pens anymore (I'm dating myself)? .... Think they're gonna go to the kids! Thanks again
Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes