Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about embossing/cutting?

Ok..I don't have a machine ( yet) but will after Chirstmas... . I *think* I have decided on a big shot ( or a Bug??)..my question , if I can figure out how to ask it..

I see lot's of pieces ( ovals..circles..etc..) cut but then they have this really nice "edge" just inside the cut like you would see if you used a score board and scored lines in a square of cs. I hope that made sense..

How do you do that? Is that embossing a die cut piece or what? Also which machine can I get that with? Thanks if you understood at all what I am talking about ")
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

If this is the edge you are talking about? The edge on the white part? That was done with a Spellbinder die.
Humming Along by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Either machine will do that edge as long as you are using a Spellbinder die
All of the Spellbinder dies emboss

First the die was run through the machine to cut it and then While the card stock was still in the die it was embossed .

After you get the machine of your choice then check the sticky thread here for that machine and it will tell you how to do this and many other techniques.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

YES!!! That is it..I love that look! It gives such a "finish" and a professional look to the pieces IMO.

SO first I cut the piece then use a spellbinder that is smaller? to get that impression right?

I must say that since I don't have a machine they baffle me LOL..I am in awe of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Oh and that is a beautiful card you used for the example..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

No it was one die that did both operations. It cuts and embosses

Here is one where I cut and embossed the outside and then used a smaller die inside of that (from the same set) to cut out the center to make a frame

Nautical Birthday by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

ok..I think I have my brain wrapped around it now LOL..I know I will have a bit of playing to do when I get mine. Do you have a preference? I have stalked and read the thread on here until it has all kinda blurred together..LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

A preference for a machine? Or for dies?

Here is a video for using a Bigshot machine with several manufacturers dies including Spellbinders.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTXVFUjEPY

Just Google "Spellbinders dies in a CuttleBug"
or
"Spellbinders dies in a Bigshot"

You will get a ton of videos and it will make sense

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-08-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

for a machine..But thank you so much for the links and for your help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I prefer Spellbinder dies because I like the embossed look . And you can stencil with them too.
On the first one I left the Cardstock in the die after I cut and embossed it and I sponged a little pink around the edge. When I removed the die I had a white embossed rim
In fact I only have a couple of Sizzix dies all the rest are all Spellbinders .

There are a lot of other dies available and I am sure people who love those too. This is a unique hobby there is something for everyone's preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
You are most welcome. When I started this my head was spinning after reading multiple threads.

My suggestions is to decide on a machine and take it from there.

Either the Cuttlebug or the Bigshot will work . The Bigshot has a slightly wider/larger cutting area. 6 & 1/8" by 9"
The Cuttlebug has a cutting area of 5 & 7/8" by 7 & 3/4"
These measurements are using the standard cutting plates that come with the machines . Both have larger plates available as an additional purchase.

The Cuttlebug folds up for storage or to transport to a crop , if that matters to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have had a Cuttlebug for over a year and just got a Big Shot. I haven't used my Nestabilities with my Big Shot yet, but I've heard they will both work well for the Spellbinders dies. For the dry embossing step you need a rubber empossing mat, they're available from a number of companies, and they are usually tan, and you also need to use some cardstock or cardboard as a "shim".

I have a much easier time understanding if I see a demo, and watched a few on using nesties before I really "got" them. I've included a link to a video showing cutting and embossing them in a Cuttlebug. It's pretty good, although I think labeling the plates is a bit overboard. Hope this helps!

Embossing and Cutting with nestabilities - YouTube

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

No matter which machine you decide on (I prefer the Big Shot), you will have a great time using the Nestabilities dies – I think they enhance projects so much! I never get tired of using them, but beware – once you start, it's a slippery slope. You'll most likely want lots of them. My favorites are the Labels sets, but they're all quite lovely.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post

I love my Spellbinders Grand Calibur for cutting and embossing, the larger base (8 1/2 x 11) means you can run larger dies or more dies through at one time. You get the mats and pads you need for die cutting and embossing dies with the machine.

All the other machines will work with Spellbinders dies but you will need to buy a Spellbinders embossing pad to get that great emboss look with the other machines.

Here is a video sharing the GC with Spellbinders Dies.

Cut Emboss Stencil - YouTube

I hope this helps!!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Thank you for all your help! You ladies rock!

I do like the GC. Can you use nesties in it as well?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I encourage you to watch some videos on YouTube or other places to compare machines. That's what I did before I decided on the Big Shot. I love my Big Shot and would like the BS Pro at some point so I can use some of the extra large dies that don't fit in the traditional Big Shot.

In watching videos, I found the Cuttlebug to be very tippy and people had to put a lot of weight on it to keep it steady while rolling the dies through the machine. The Big Shot is more sturdy because it has a larger base but it does take up a bit more real estate on the work space because of this larger base. The Cuttlebug would be more portable and compact and easier to transport if you go to crops or craft with other people outside of your own home.

I have live experience with the Grand Calibur when a friend bought one. I found the machine did not feel as well built and as sturdy as the Big Shot. It wouldn't stay clamped to her work area. It advertises it takes 8.5X11 paper but a piece has to come off the front for that to happen which could lead to unnecessary wear and tear on that tray. t only needed a quarter of an inch more length in the design for this not to happen. I have read of others who have had trouble with the mats but we didn't experience this. It also doesn't take some of the thicker older style dies that the Big Shot can handle. This machine has potential though and if they make modifications for future versions, it will be a force to be reckoned with. Until they make improvements in the next generation of this machine, you'd be better off spending a bit more money on the Big Shot Pro if you want to do the really large dies. Since you're just starting off, I'm sure the regular Big Shot will meet your needs for quite awhile.

I hope my opinions help with your decision :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I encourage you to watch some videos on YouTube or other places to compare machines. That's what I did before I decided on the Big Shot. I love my Big Shot and would like the BS Pro at some point so I can use some of the extra large dies that don't fit in the traditional Big Shot.

In watching videos, I found the Cuttlebug to be very tippy and people had to put a lot of weight on it to keep it steady while rolling the dies through the machine. The Big Shot is more sturdy because it has a larger base but it does take up a bit more real estate on the work space because of this larger base. The Cuttlebug would be more portable and compact and easier to transport if you go to crops or craft with other people outside of your own home.

I have live experience with the Grand Calibur when a friend bought one. I found the machine did not feel as well built and as sturdy as the Big Shot. It wouldn't stay clamped to her work area. It advertises it takes 8.5X11 paper but a piece has to come off the front for that to happen which could lead to unnecessary wear and tear on that tray. t only needed a quarter of an inch more length in the design for this not to happen. I have read of others who have had trouble with the mats but we didn't experience this. It also doesn't take some of the thicker older style dies that the Big Shot can handle. This machine has potential though and if they make modifications for future versions, it will be a force to be reckoned with. Until they make improvements in the next generation of this machine, you'd be better off spending a bit more money on the Big Shot Pro if you want to do the really large dies. Since you're just starting off, I'm sure the regular Big Shot will meet your needs for quite awhile.

I hope my opinions help with your decision :-)
The Grand Calibur tray has been modified to accomidate 8.5 x 11 paper without removing the tray.

I've found the Grand Calibur suction works very well on a clean smooth surface. I always suggest after taking your GC out of the packaging to wipe the suction cup and the table off with a damp cloth to get maximum suction, and to make sure there isn't any paper residue on the surfaces. If you use a table with a rough surface, or even one of the new style tables that have a plastic textured top you won't get as good a result with the suction.

The Grand Calibur is made by Spellbinders Paper Arts, the same company that makes "nesties" and is recommended for use with these style dies, but other machines do work well. You are not able to use steel ruled dies (much thicker dies) in the Grand Calibur. The GC retails at $139.00 but this time of year it's pretty easy to find a sweet deal on line in the $100 range, if you have a Hobby Lobby close to you take advantage of a 40% coupon, big savings plus no shipping! The Big Shot Pro has a larger format than the GC but it is much heavier, larger and more costly.

It really is a personal choice for your personal crafting needs.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Default I didn't read all of the replies....

but I would recommend going on YouTube and enter embossing with nestabilities. The tutorials will probably show using either machine.

I prefer my Cuttlebug for my Nestabilities then use my Big Shot for the larger dies.

HTH!

Beaglelover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimInIowaView Post
The Grand Calibur tray has been modified to accomidate 8.5 x 11 paper without removing the tray.

I've found the Grand Calibur suction works very well on a clean smooth surface. I always suggest after taking your GC out of the packaging to wipe the suction cup and the table off with a damp cloth to get maximum suction, and to make sure there isn't any paper residue on the surfaces. If you use a table with a rough surface, or even one of the new style tables that have a plastic textured top you won't get as good a result with the suction.
I'm glad they fixed the 8.5X11 paper issue. The model my friend has would be an older one then because her tray has to come off, according to the directions she has. We tried several work surfaces (two types of counter top and a wooden kitchen table) and the suction cup just would not work properly. You don't have that issue with the CB or BS. We were off to a poor start though with her GC because it was faulty. Metal parts fell out of the inside of it after only two uses and it was replaced by the store that sold it. The owner of the store said she had a couple come back from that same batch so they much have had a couple of duds. It still didn't feel as sturdy or as well made as my Big Shot but I might prefer that because that's what I started with.
Reply With Quote Likes