Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   No SN refills (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/no-sn-refills-617636/)

Sunshinesense 04-27-2017 05:04 PM

No SN refills

Hi everyone! My birthday is in a few days, and my husband just told me that he has been trying in vain to purchase refills for my dry SN markers. He said he has tried various sites and everyone is "out of stock" for the colors I need. I need over a dozen colors, so it isn't like it is only one color that is super hot and selling out fast. Any advice? I do think he tried Crafters Companion as well as Dick Blick, but no joy. Also, one of my dry "colors" is my blender. Can I just use straight rubbing alcohol in place of a refill?

Thanks for your input!

buggainok 04-27-2017 05:26 PM

Sorry you can't find refills. I had a bunch of the original Spectrum Noir pens that went dry. The newer versions seem to do a lot better, and I have quite a few of those.

For my original dry ones, I followed the advice of the Frugal Crafter, and used denatured alcohol to revive them. I got the denatured alcohol at Walmart in the hardware section. It worked great.

I've heard of others using plain rubbing alcohol, but my impression is that it does not work as well. I thought if I was going to go to the trouble to refill them, I would use something recommended.

Here is a link to Lindsay's blog about this. It's the second video on the page:

https://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.c...-noir-markers/

Don't know about your blender. You may just need to buy a new one.

shazsilverwolf 04-28-2017 10:39 AM

Here is a recipe I have for blenders. I think I found it on here. I haven't tried it yet though.
2 teaspoons Glycerine
4 Teaspoons distilled water
1/4 teaspoon rubbing alcohol.

fionna51 04-28-2017 01:39 PM

I think that recipe is for the blender pens. The OP is talking about the colorless blender that comes with the Spectrum Noir alcohol markers.

Denatured alcohol is what I understood as well to refill a colorless blender.

dini 05-02-2017 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolf (Post 21459883)
Here is a recipe I have for blenders. I think I found it on here. I haven't tried it yet though.
2 teaspoons Glycerine
4 Teaspoons distilled water
1/4 teaspoon rubbing alcohol.

Diane is right - this is for blender pens, like a Dove Blender (do they still make those?) used with watercolor pencils or water-based markers.

shazsilverwolf 05-02-2017 07:41 AM

Thanks Ladies, useful to know. I had just scribbled it on a Post-it note! I do that sort of thing- half the info I need, lol.

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 01:28 PM

Thanks! I still can't find any in stock refills. I have tried to "revive" my markers, but they must all be as dry as a popcorn fart. I love my SN and really want to use them! Very bummed.

fionna51 05-02-2017 02:26 PM

Did you check out the refills at Crafter's Companion, the company who makes the SN markers?
Spectrum Noir Ink Refills

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 04:18 PM

Yes, Crafters Companion is also out of stock!

muscrat 05-02-2017 04:32 PM

Have you just tried adding denatured alcohol to your markers? A lot of times its the alcohol that dries up and the color is still there and will revive with the alcohol. I've also used rubbing alcohol.

As for refills, I'd be wary of even buying those. I've bought bottles at my LSS that were full and had plastic wrap around them, but by the time I went to use them, the bottle dried up! So I've had to add alcohol to revive the refills! I'm using watercolors more because if they dry up you just add water!

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 05:06 PM

Yes Kathy, I have tried to revive my markers but they are DOA! I may just buy new markers as I have found some on Blitsy for less than $2 each.

muscrat 05-02-2017 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinesense (Post 21462357)
Yes Kathy, I have tried to revive my markers but they are DOA! I may just buy new markers as I have found some on Blitsy for less than $2 each.

Acmoore has them for $7.88 in sets of 6 in color families. These are the new round barrel ones that aren't supposed to dry out as quickly.

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 05:11 PM

I just received an email answer from Crafters Companion (the company that makes SN). They said that they are redoing their refill bottle design to prolong the shelf life. They expect to have refills available mid-year.

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 05:15 PM

The ones I need are all different color families. It would be a waste for me to buy a complete set just to be able to get the one (or maybe two) markers I need. Now I have to decide if the refill or the individual marker is the way for me to go. All my dry ones are the old design, so I'm leaning toward replacement.

muscrat 05-02-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshinesense (Post 21462362)
I just received an email answer from Crafters Companion (the company that makes SN). They said that they are redoing their refill bottle design to prolong the shelf life. They expect to have refills available mid-year.

That would be terrific! I have at least three bottles that dried out and I never used them!

Sunshinesense 05-02-2017 05:33 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I would be lost if not for SCS!!!