Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   New use for Crystal Katana tool (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/new-use-crystal-katana-tool-629719/)

stampinstacy2010 07-01-2019 08:59 AM

New use for Crystal Katana tool

Or maybe someone has already thought of this...

I was attaching word die cuts to white cardstock, and I was bothered by the tiny paper fibers around parts of the die cut. I traced the waxy tip of the Crystal Katana around the die cut pieces, and voila, the fibers stuck to the tip and were removed from my card. I didn't see any wax residue left behind, but results might vary if the base cardstock was not white.

Bella Carta 07-02-2019 09:02 PM

great idea!

DDfromNM 07-03-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010 (Post 21835653)
Or maybe someone has already thought of this...

I was attaching word die cuts to white cardstock, and I was bothered by the tiny paper fibers around parts of the die cut. I traced the waxy tip of the Crystal Katana around the die cut pieces, and voila, the fibers stuck to the tip and were removed from my card. I didn't see any wax residue left behind, but results might vary if the base cardstock was not white.

Stacy, I am not familiar with this tool....but intend to look it up! But your suggestion makes me wonder about something else. Do you suppose you could do this same thing with the rough edge of a mat or base card that a paper cutter sometimes leaves? I've tried smearing dabs of glue, but that wasn't successful. I wonder if this touch of wax would do it!!!!

TLady 07-03-2019 06:59 AM

I JUST saw something about removing the fibers left from a die cut the other day! Just roll your Tool-N-One brush end, over the die a few times to remove those little fibers. I would do it on the backside. ;)

For using the Crystal Katana, there is a product at the sewing store used to run your thread through for easier threading.... You could use that block of wax to do the same thing & then, not worry your little tip from the Crystal Katana would go un-sticky for using on those gems,etc.!

skm330mks 07-03-2019 07:00 AM

Good hint. But, WOW, they are expensive.

stampinstacy2010 07-03-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skm330mks (Post 21836466)

Yes...which is why I was so glad I found another use for it because I was so mad at myself :mad: for making the impulse buy after reading about it for picking up little bits like rhinestones for cards. I was not using it for that purpose and was happy to think of another way to use it. :D

stampinstacy2010 07-03-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDfromNM (Post 21836429)
Stacy, I am not familiar with this tool....but intend to look it up! But your suggestion makes me wonder about something else. Do you suppose you could do this same thing with the rough edge of a mat or base card that a paper cutter sometimes leaves? I've tried smearing dabs of glue, but that wasn't successful. I wonder if this touch of wax would do it!!!!

Not to hijack my own thread, but I use either the adhesive remover tool (kind of like a big rubber eraser) or a Mono sand eraser to buff off any little stray fibers on the edges of card bases or card mats.

rockybeta 07-03-2019 07:23 AM

Also, a small hunk of beeswax would work.........the kind the jewelery makers use......it's sticky enough and not really a color. They use it to stiffen their beading thread and to help smaller beads slide on.

stampinstacy2010 07-03-2019 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybeta (Post 21836480)
Also, a small hunk of beeswax would work.........the kind the jewelery makers use......it's sticky enough and not really a color. They use it to stiffen their beading thread and to help smaller beads slide on.

The nice thing about the Crystal Katana tool is that it has a point, like a crayon, which made it very easy to get into the small openings of some of the letters of the die cuts.

wishiniwas 07-03-2019 08:44 AM

Small toothbrush

I just use a small toothbrush to go over diecuts. It gets into all the small areas and edges.

papercrafter40 07-03-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, they should have them in their jewelry department. That's where I got mine--saved $10 with my 40% off coupon! It just works so much better for me than the jewel picker I had that permanently lost its stick. No matter what I tried, it never returned, so I chucked it and got the Crystal Katana. Love it! :)

Rebecca Ednie 07-04-2019 08:04 AM

You can get an off-brand crystal katana on Amazon. Just search for jewel picker tool. I’ve seen ones reviewed that have crystals inside the handle but mine is just plain pink. It works very well and I’m quite happy with it. It even came with replacement heads. I balked at the crazy high price tag too. I have the Marvy one, the WRMK (formerly Lifestyle crafts) brand and a wax stick pencil but his one is by far the best. I’d give a link but it’s to amazon.ca

stamps4funGin 07-04-2019 11:12 AM

krystal katana tool

Quote:

I bought one on ebay for about half what some are selling them for.

contrapat 07-30-2019 08:50 AM

I buy wax pencils meant for nail art- they are dirt cheap on Ebay, and work fabulously for setting tiny rhinestones on my cards. link:

5pcs Nail Art Manicure Dotting Pen Tool Nail Rhinestone Bead Picker Wax PencilTB | eBay

Here's a card I set ALL the stones individually on using these:

C-ing double! by contrapat - at Splitcoaststampers

I've had great luck using nail art tools for my card making. The dotting tools are great for tiny glue jobs, and they also seem to have something very like the tool mentioned above (Crystal Katana tool) for a lot less money.

pattd 07-30-2019 08:57 AM

dull cutting blade esidue

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDfromNM (Post 21836429)

I use a dollar store emery board, gently file the outside edges with the white jagged edges created from a diu blade. Gently rub, it works till you can change your blade. Good luck

INKY ONE 07-30-2019 10:12 AM

I use a bead reamer for removing the bits from within intricate spaces on my die cuts.

wavejumper 07-30-2019 02:54 PM

I just saw the Katana again in a demo at Simplistic during a show w Ken's Kreations. They do a LOT of jewel placements in their cards. Sigh. Does look really nice. That's great you found another use!

I have the Pick Me Up I got at a show that has this sticky stuff that is supposed to feed-but does not, so I have to use a needle to pull it out. When it is done, I am done with it. Then somehow I got 2 of the Marvy jewel pickers. I have not used those enough to have an opinion yet.
As for sanding, I use this block JM mentioned in 2014 favorite tools-I have not finished with the first one yet and you get 5. I suspect you could get similar ones in the nail area of CVS etc They look flat but they are not. Probably an inch square.

Paper Artsy SANDING BLOCKS Set of 5 01175 at Simon Says STAMP!