Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a Misti?????

I have seen so much talk about the Misti and I still can't decide whether or not to ask Santa for one. I don't want to have something that I will end up up not using because it's award and difficult to use and then it sits in the corner with various other "bad buys".
If I do decide to get one where is the best place to order from for the best price and the best overall customer service?
Any advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

My Sweet Petunia (the actual MISTI website) is having a Black Friday sale, so I'd suggest that for a good price.

As to whether or not you need one, that depends on what you want to do. My suggestion would be to watch a few YouTube videos and/or visit the My Sweet Petunia forum here on Splitcoast or go to UnderstandBlue's blog (she uses it a lot) to see if it looks like something that you'll use.

It's VERY easy to use, and I use mine pretty much every time I pull out stamps, but there are others who don't see why they'd need it. As with most things in the papercrafting realm, it's a personal thing...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

I ordered mine directly from mysweetpetunia.com, directly from the manufacturer of the Misti. I have a Stamp-a-ma-jig, but always forget to use it, so it's in the corner with the "bad guys." I bought the Misti because I make multiple cards and it's convenient to use to position a stamp in the same place on each card. I also bought it because there's nothing more frustrating than getting a bad image and trying to re-stamp over it. The Misti does that beautifully. You can also position multiple stamps at once. I like having it, but it wouldn't be on my "must have" list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #4  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It's the only tool I use on every card I make - Sue is right - I'm a big fan!

It knocked the Big Shot out of the #1 spot in my crafty arsenal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The MISTI is a tool. It's very good at what it does, and there's nothing out there like it. Do you need it? No, you can function without one. But you might not want to, depending on what you're looking to use it for.

I have one. I don't use it all the time, but for certain things it has been super helpful. It allows me to get a perfect image with images that are, for one reason or another, not easy to get a perfect image of using a block. Very detailed images, images with big solid areas, larger images - all of these are much easier to get a good impression of with my MISTI. So even though I don't pull out my MISTI every time I work, the money I am saving not tossing out expensive watercolor paper and card stock when I do use it and get my image stamped perfectly without waste and aggravation made the cost of it worth it to me.

Just my two cents. As others have said, it's really a personal thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

Like other tools, it depends on if you want to do the things it can do. I use my MISTI on probably 50-60% of the cards i make. I love that I can make multiple pieces that are identical and if i don't quite get good coverage with the ink, i can restamp with perfect alignment and fix the error instead of either throwing away my mistake or deciding if I can live with the mistake. I have probably come close in savings on paper costs to pay for the MISTI with my mistakes.
The other strong positive for MISTI is i can get a sentiment perfectly aligned and placed exactly where I want it with MISTI. I could come close with Stamp-a-ma-jig, but not always right where I want it. I test it on a piece of clear over the card to make sure it lines up correctly, then stamp onto the card.

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

PammyB1 - Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you watched any videos about it? That might give you a better idea of whether you want one. If you get excited at the prospect of doing the things you see, then it's worth considering. Hearing people talk about it might not be giving you enough info.

It isn't hard to use. It's very easy, that won't be an issue. It's whether your personal creative process would be enhanced by having it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Do I need a Misti?????
Very short answer: Yes. You do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I now have more unmounted stamps, so for that reason alone, I love my MISTI.

I get my perfectly stamped images, placed correctly, with no frustrations, whether on regular cardstock or watercolor paper. With the videos, and helpful templates, I have a volume of creative ideas to take my card making to other creative levels, that I wouldn't have bothered to try.

Did I "need" the MISTI? Well, I guess the answer is: I seem to use it every time I make cards, so the answer must be YES!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2015, 11:55 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes. worth the $$
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 12:15 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm the only card maker on the planet with no desire to own a MISITI!

1. I'm not big on spending that kind of $$$$.

2. I also don't want another tool to deal with.

3. I rather like the challenge of placing an image in the right place, on straight, etc.

4. I don't make enough cards to really need one.

Nope I just don't want one...weird, I know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post

1. I'm not big on spending that kind of $$$$.

2. I also don't want another tool to deal with.

3. I rather like the challenge of placing an image in the right place, on straight, etc.

4. I don't make enough cards to really need one.

Nope I just don't want one...weird, I know!
No, you aren't the only one. I have no desire to own one either. Too much money for something I can do with my Stamp-a-Ma-Jig, IMO. To each her own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Replies in RED.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post

1. I'm not big on spending that kind of $$$$. I agree!

2. I also don't want another tool to deal with. I like tools but don't have a lot of space.

3. I rather like the challenge of placing an image in the right place, on straight, etc.Not me. I rarely stamp directly on a card because I often get a poorly stamped image. For this reason, I would love a MISTI or maybe one of the Stamperor's Gale mentioned above. That one is almost affordable and I really like that I could use it with a full size sheet of cardstock. I wonder how long it would last? I wonder how it works with thicker stamps? (video says it can be done but does not show it) I wonder if I could make my own???

4. I don't make enough cards to really need one. Yeah, me, too. But I hope to change that in 2016.

Nope I just don't want one...weird, I know! Not weird, just not one of the herd, and that's A-OK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Of course you "need" one.

And we're the biggest enablers in the world around here!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I saw one demonstrated at my stamp store. I decided I do not need one. I don't think I would ever use it. I have a stamp a jig and NEVER ever use that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

A nice big Fiskars stamp press will basically give you the same results. Tape several card fronts to your work surface, align your stamps to the grid and stamp away. I dunno, but its sort of the same principle.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
A nice big Fiskars stamp press will basically give you the same results. Tape several card fronts to your work surface, align your stamps to the grid and stamp away. I dunno, but its sort of the same principle.....
I have both, and the difference is that you can still introduce human error into the process, like you can with the SAMJ. What I love about the MISTI is it's foolproof. And I need a lot of foolproof!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

All I can say is that I have never replied on the forum but I feel strongly about this to post. Yes, I would say that you do need it. I thought I didn't but I did finally get one and it is so great. I use it for restamping, aligning but I like it most for stamping on diecuts with the negative used as the guide. I even like it for open dies as I can get a better centered image. Get it and use it- you won't regret it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Well after much thought and your very valued opinions I took the plunge this morning and ordered the Black Friday bundle Misti. I watched the videos and many times I need all the help I can get when it comes to stamping certain images.
My dear sweet husband also urged me to get it saying it would be part of my Christmas present...I wasn't about to argue with him!!
Thanks for all your input and wish me luck for when I get my new toy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PammyB1View Post
Well after much thought and your very valued opinions I took the plunge this morning and ordered the Black Friday bundle Misti. I watched the videos and many times I need all the help I can get when it comes to stamping certain images.
My dear sweet husband also urged me to get it saying it would be part of my Christmas present...I wasn't about to argue with him!!
Thanks for all your input and wish me luck for when I get my new toy.
Glad to hear that you got the Black Friday deal but can I ask how? LOL I tried several times at 10am and now where could I find the "bundle" on the website. I only found the MISTI by itself for $60. Am I missing something?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I found the bundle separate from the MISTI itself. I was late getting on to order, as I'm a West Coast person, and I was having breakfast with my family at 8, not "Black Friday" shopping!!!!

I have a Stamp-a-ma-jig, but it sits in a drawer, and never gets used. I bought my first MISTI over a year ago when they first came out, and as a "not perfect" stamper, I now get clean, crisp images every time, with no paper waste!!!! I love that. I also like that I can easily and quickly line things up with no problems and do repetitive images with ease. Holiday cards are no longer something to dread, they're simple and easy to do. I've also ventured into other "creative" stamping based on the things you can do with background type stamps and watching the videos.

If you don't have those issues, and you always get clean images, then you may not need this product. Also if you don't do multiple cards or a lot of card making, then you may not get your money's worth. I can only speak for me, and this has more than paid for itself for my situation and needs. I now use it every time I stamp with total peace of mind!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never thought I'd join the unmounting bandwagon, but now that I have a MISTI I'm thinking about doing at least my sentiments (those are the main ones I have trouble with) and maybe some of my solid images that are harder to get a good image with stamping once.
I've also unmounted some of my wheels and use those with a piece of double sided tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I never thought I'd join the unmounting bandwagon, but now that I have a MISTI I'm thinking about doing at least my sentiments (those are the main ones I have trouble with) and maybe some of my solid images that are harder to get a good image with stamping once.
I've also unmounted some of my wheels and use those with a piece of double sided tape.
I just ordered a MISTI so I look forward to precise stamping in my future :-) but I before that I unmounted a few of my stamps on thick wood blocks that I always had a hard time pressing to get a good impression. Best thing I could've ever done � it's so much easier to press through foam and thin Plexiglas on the stamp press!

And I unmounted an entire SU alphabet set, which took quite a lot of time, but it's so much easier to line up words without having to use a positioner on each letter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
After messing up too many Christmas sentiments with my wood stamps I'll be unmounting the problem ones so I can use them with my MISTI. I never wanted to unmount but I love some of my older wood mount Christmas stamps so I'll see how I do with unmounting them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I found as I've gotten older I've had more issues getting an even image, so for me it's a personal thing. I don't know if it's my wrists or hands. The MISTI has cleared that up for me, and no frustration. Stamping is fun again.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Glad to hear that you got the Black Friday deal but can I ask how? LOL I tried several times at 10am and now where could I find the "bundle" on the website. I only found the MISTI by itself for $60. Am I missing something?
I went on the site at 10 a.m. and on the main toolbar of the site I clicked on shop and it took me to the different items for sale. The Black Friday deal was listed just to the right of the regular priced Misti.
I am so sorry you had problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 PM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I found as I've gotten older I've had more issues getting an even image, so for me it's a personal thing. I don't know if it's my wrists or hands. The MISTI has cleared that up for me, and no frustration. Stamping is fun again.....
After reading this I am really glad I ordered one. I have what I think is arthritis in both of my thumbs and I think sometimes that does hamper me...never really thought about that before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

After reading this I am really glad I ordered one. I have what I think is arthritis in both of my thumbs and I think sometimes that does hamper me...never really thought about that before.
I'm so sorry to hear that!!! Ugh!!!! I hate when that happens! I thought our bodies were supposed to hold up until we die, and that's just not happening to me!!!

I switched to unmounted and clear a long time ago because I was having issues getting good impressions with my wood mounted stamps. Then I found with the clear stamps I would press too hard in some areas and get an uneven impression again. The MISTI takes care of all those issues for me and my stamping looks "normal", without any issues or waste; and at my age, that makes life easier!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #29  

Quote:

I'm so excited for you!! You have lots of joy ahead of you.

I'm so sorry about the arthritis - I have a stampy customer who has both arthritis and Parkinson's, and the MISTI has put joy and pride back into stamping for her because her tremor and hand weakness don't affect her anymore. I love her dearly.

The other thing about the MISTI is you don't have to apply much pressure at all when you stamp, which if you have hand pain, matters a lot - the ability to overstamp takes the "smash" out of stamping.

Looking forward to your experience!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I can now answer this with my own personal experience: yes! My MISTI arrived today and I managed to stamp with a Studio Calico stamp set with lots of little areas to fill with teeny tiny stamps, on watercolor paper – yes watercolor paper! – and it was a breeze to line everything up and get a good impression.

So it's already paid for itself in my estimation :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of the things that has been life-saving for me with the Misti has been in the organizational arena. All of my stamps (except 5 from Stampotique that double as decor) are either unmounted rubber or clear. I store them on laminated cardstock in 4" x 6" photo sleeves. I stamped index cards for each sleeve and, prior to getting my MISTI, had to stamp each stamp individually. Since getting the MISTI, I can put the entire 4" x 6" card, loaded with stamps, on the lid of the MISTI with poster tape and stamp the whole thing at once. If there are a couple of stamps that are thicker rubber, I take them off, stamp the whole card, then put them back on and ink only those for a second stamping. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much faster and easier! I've stamped at least 650 index cards this way. I can't even get my head around how long it would take me to do that the old way, so just in time saving it's been WELL worth the price!

Of course, it's been pretty darn handy for all of the other reasons mentioned here and shown on videos... The only time I don't use it is if I'm doing a random-stamped background, so I did hang onto a couple of acrylic blocks for that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 AM   #32  

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Since getting the MISTI, I can put the entire 4" x 6" card, loaded with stamps, on the lid of the MISTI with poster tape and stamp the whole thing at once.
One of my team members just discovered this - I never would have thought of that if she hadn't mentioned it.

I don't use stamp indexes, but that's something that would make me consider it.

Also, for anyone who helps us with the SU stamp set indexes here in the gallery that's super useful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Having ordered my Misti on Black Friday I am new to this. One thing for sure is I am totally in love with it. I was going to order one last Christmas, but keep telling myself I really didn't need it. I couldn't have been more wrong. It will take center stage right along with my Cuttlebug in my craft room. One question I have is reading how many of you are un-mounting your wooden stamps. I have several that I would love to do that with but not sure how to go about it. If you could provide me with some information it would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainykayView Post
Having ordered my Misti on Black Friday I am new to this. One thing for sure is I am totally in love with it. I was going to order one last Christmas, but keep telling myself I really didn't need it. I couldn't have been more wrong. It will take center stage right along with my Cuttlebug in my craft room. One question I have is reading how many of you are un-mounting your wooden stamps. I have several that I would love to do that with but not sure how to go about it. If you could provide me with some information it would be greatly appreciated
Awesome - you will love it. Most people microwave their stamps for 5 seconds or so to soften the adhesive - remove the stamp from the block - remove the foam and replace it with EZ Mount Cling Foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainykayView Post
You could do what Lydia said - many do - or you could get REALLY radical and take them all the way down to nekkid rubber (I do - saves even more space). You can use 2-way glue or poster tape on the back to stick them to the MISTI and whatever you're using as carrier sheets (or back into DVD cases if they're SU!) or use Tack 'n Peel on a sheet of cling vinyl (so it's removable) on the lid of the MISTI. There's a whole conversation about various tips and tricks for this HERE. There are other threads, too, if you care to look for them, but this one has enough to go on, I think...

Reply With Quote Likes