Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ranger Alcohol Inks on Glossy CS only?

Hello. I just bought my first batch of Adirondack Alcohol Inks and was so excited to use them until I realized I needed glossy card stock. Boooo! Of course I can't find any at the local stores, and didn't want to buy a whole pack from SU since I think I'll rarely use it. Has anyone seen/heard of/used any techniques on regular cardstock? Thanks a bunch!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

do you have any glossy photo paper...? I use this a lot.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Glossy is best because the alcohol inks will really soak into other types (using loads more ink and only giving a muted appearance). If archival issues are not a concern you may be able to use glossy papers from stuff like folders used for presentations, photo paper (I remember reading that this is different than glossy paper and not really a good substitute but I don't remember the reasons but it can give you an idea of what the AI colors look like).

I've used it on the clear plastic/acetate(?) from the really large box of Q-Tips (I punched star shapes and colored them with Butterscotch AI but don't have any photos). I just placed the punched shape flat on a plastic plate and dabbed at it with a cotton puff onto which I applied a few drops of AI and 1-2 drops of blending solution. It dries fairly quickly and I just kept repeating until I liked the color, then did the other side.

I think once you play with the alcohol inks, you'll be hooked and the package of glossy may actually need to get replenished but these ideas (and the others sure to follow from other SCSers) can get you started.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also used reg glossy photopaper on quite a few occassions when I have ran out of Glossy CS, or sometimes I am looking for the different effect you get with photo paper. The big difference in reg Photo Paper Glossy and Glossy CS is that "in my experience" glossy photo paper cracks when you add the alcohol blender solution and the Ranger Glossy CS does not crack. Also the blending isn't quite the same. I prefer glossy CS usually but sometimes I want the cracked look without wanting to do another step- so I will grab cheap glossy photopaper instead. You say this is your 1st package of alcohol inks so you don't want to buy an entire pack of paper- You will probably change your mind once you get to playing with these. I love my alcohol inks, love the polished stone effect. Give it a try with your photopaper and see if you like the look of the cracking or wait and purchase a pack of glossy CS.. either way I hope you love these as much as me- I just placed an order for 2 more 3 pks of colors.. I can never have too much..

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Thanks so much for taking the time to offer such great input! I knew photo paper wasn't supposed to be the best choice, now I know why. I have some scraps from my last photo printing spree, so I think I'll try it until I can get some glossy paper. It sounds like I'll love the glossy. I am trying to keep my craft spending to a minimum after the holidays. I know, I hear you all laughing, craft spending to a minimum...ha! I am an SU demo, so I'll get it with my next order. I had forgotten about using it with my brayer...which is probably why my brayer hates me (I've been using normal CS). Also, I didn't think about reapplying the ink until I got a stronger color on transparencies...hmmm....possibilities....

Thanks again ladies!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I tried the photo paper, definitely not the same effect as the glossy I saw on the videos, but still really cool. I'll make a card and post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Do you have a local store where you can get glossy paper by the sheet? Have you tried vellum with you AIs, it gives a pretty cool effect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

You can also use the inks on metal and acrylic embellies! I don't use mine nearly as much but they are awesome - the pearl mixative is nice too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

AI works great on any non-porous surface -you can color clear or white buttons, metal pieces, I like to use scrap plastic from packaging - color with AI, stamp on glossy or white card stock and then use glossy accents to adhere. Take a look at Tim Holtz's blog - he has great tutorials and videos that will help you! http://www.timholtz.typepad.com/

Life is not about weathering the storm - It's about dancing in the rain!

My blog: www.kattoys.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I've used on alcohol inks on glossy paper because I didn't like the way it looked on the glossy photo paper. It wasn't as vibrant or something like that. I also have used it on everything like glass, buttons, brads, etc. So much fun to play with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

Another consideration: If you want to stamp and heat emboss an image on photo paper, the coating on the photo paper will bubble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased a pack of glossy photo paper (Kirkland brand from Costco - 69lb.) for $18. I use it for my alcohol inks. They work great and make the most amazing backgrounds. If you don't have a Costco near you or membership, then I would just do a search for glossy photo paper and find something economical. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

A word of advice from this far-from-expert: when you have your AI background and want to stamp on top, don't use Stazon ink even though some people say this is what you need. Stazon is spirit based and will dissolve the AI giving a halo effect round the image and losing clarity. I find Ranger Archival ink to be the best one to use.

I have also found that not all photo paper is the same - some works beautifully as a sub for glossy card (which I have trouble finding locally) but the second pack I bought was a disaster, especially for overstamping: removing the stamp also removed large patches of the surface paper :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

This will sound a little crazy and probably exceptionally cheap of me, but a while back my work was getting rid of a bunch of posters - they weren't as heavy weight as glossy card stock, but they were glossy on the back and they worked GREAT for playing with alcohol inks. I didn't notice any difference in the finished background between these and the glossy cardstock I bought at the lss (other than the weight of the paper). The posters were very dark and there wasn't any bleed thru of the poster ink to the polished stone side when I was done.

These were brand new posters that were rolled up in tubes; I would imagine that the wrinkles etc. that you get on a used poster would make them work not so well. Also, it was a bit of a challenge to cut them into smaller pieces to work with. I used a giganto cutting mat and rotary cutter like quilters use and didn't worry too much if the final pieces were uniform size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Another consideration: If you want to stamp and heat emboss an image on photo paper, the coating on the photo paper will bubble.
LOL! I found that out the hard way! I had the image posted, but it was so bad, I had to take it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I didn't think of posters, great idea. I also really like the idea of vellum! I am going to try that. I've used them on metal repair tape and acetate, but the acetate didn't work out. I have to reapply for a better effect I think.
Reply With Quote Likes