Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Scrapbook.com Hybrid and Pigment Ink Pads

Hello!

Scrapbook.com was recently giving away a Hero Arts stamp set that I wanted free with purchase. So, I spent a fortune in their new ink pads which I didn't need to get the stamps, lol.

I don't remember seeing a thread about these so I thought I'd post my initial impressions and swatches. The colored pads are hybrids and the white is a pigment.

I was interested in them because while they're available separately, they're grouped in families as ombres (and can be purchased in the family sets which is what I did). I'm terrible with matching/finding the right colors and they reminded me of alcohol markers in the way they go from light to dark and I can use them like paint swatches: all the colors in the families will coordinate and all the same levels of each separate family will coordinate so this will work well for me. They should be good for layering stamps, too. Swatches below.

I scribbled an alcohol marker across an image and there was no bleeding then dropped some water on another image and the ink didn't budge. I think the names are pretty good representations of the colors.

I really like the white and think this is the best white I've come across. It stamps pretty solid and dries quickly. Swatches below (the smudge in 'White' is from a gel pen that was still wet, sorry).

Overall, with the limited time I've used them I'm impressed but more frequent use will be the real test, of course. The only con so far are the cases as I find them a bit hard to open. The top and bottom are separate pieces but they are tight. It could just be me because I have hand/wrist issues but I think the addition of a small lip to grab on both top and bottom would take care of this. BTW, the pad itself is woven fabric so you need to remember to do a sort of crosshatch pattern when applying the ink to the stamp or the fabric weave will show in your stamp. I don't consider this a real con since I tap my stamps with ink a few times before stamping and just need to remember to twist my wrist a little while doing so.

The color hybrid ink swatches were done on StampinUp! Whisper White (I believe that's 80#?). Each image was stamped twice with the Tim Holtz Platform.

White Pigment on black and kraft cardstock:

Color Hybrid Inks (Green and Wood families):

Color Hybrid Inks (Sky and Orange families):

Color Hybrid Inks (Violet and Yellow families):

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for posting this. I appreciate the samples and getting your opinion. I've been wondering about these new inks and hoping for reviews. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

What, no red?! Do they not have a red/pink group, or is that just not a color family you use much, so didn't purchase? Either way, the ones you've swatched and shared look interesting. I may have to take a closer look. Thanks for sharing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for posting your opinions. I get emails from them everyday about these inks and I may buy a few to fill in some colors I feel SU! is missing.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I’ve mostly dye and hybrid inks, but thinking about adding some pigment inks. Like Sue I’m amazed there’s no red. The only reason I’m considering pigment inks, Versafine Clair, is because of their natural pigment properties. I like they stay wet longer and are ideal for techniques like embossing and watercolor. I’ve not really researched the Scrapbook.com pigment hybrids so probably shouldn’t even comment, just my first thoughts that’s probably useless jargon
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress

Last edited by Annecards; 10-22-2018 at 04:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

There is a red called Cardinal and also a rose collection that has a slightly pinkish red that looks like a good vintage color to me.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
What, no red?! Do they not have a red/pink group, or is that just not a color family you use much, so didn't purchase? Either way, the ones you've swatched and shared look interesting. I may have to take a closer look. Thanks for sharing!
I couldn't afford the whole collection at once and bought the colors I did for a particular PTI stamp set, figuring I could test them out to see if I want all of them.

They have quite a few more color families and 'Rose' is one of them. They're more pinky-red than actual red which is why I didn't get that family. I wand REDs. I took a look at the site over the weekend and see they now have a 'Holiday' set which consists of 2 pads: Pine (intense green) and Cardinal Red, which appears to be a true RED. I'll have to get that set for the red, alone. I hope in the future they come out with more colors to coordinate with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Hi all! I'm new here but I knew this was the right place to come to ask about these inks.

I've been on the verge of tears with black ink for Copics/alcohol markers, my Hero Arts pad is a mess, it under-inks, it over-inks, my impressions are wildly inconsistent... So I was very excited when Scrapbook came out with these.

Has anyone tried the black??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbjuniorView Post
Hi all! I'm new here but I knew this was the right place to come to ask about these inks.

I've been on the verge of tears with black ink for Copics/alcohol markers, my Hero Arts pad is a mess, it under-inks, it over-inks, my impressions are wildly inconsistent... So I was very excited when Scrapbook came out with these.

Hello and welcome! You're going to like it here!

I haven't gotten their black - yet, lol. I suffer from Full-Set-Syndrome so its only a matter of time. For my spectrum noir markers, I use Momento Tuxedo Black along with a stamping tool (Tim Holtz Platform or MISTI). Its a firm pad so it usually takes me 2 impressions then its perfect. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by norbjuniorView Post

Welcome, and don't cry! Memento Tuxedo Black is what a lot of people use with their Copics or other alcohol markers, just as fifiwesfan said - me included.

Just as a general guide, you want to use the opposite ink pad of what your coloring medium will be. If you're going to do watercolor or another water-based medium, then you don't want to stamp in a water-based ink (like a dye ink), so you would use a pigment or archival ink pad. The exception is if you're going to do no-line watercolor where you want the stamped lines to disappear. Conversely, if you're going to use a solvent-based medium like alcohol markers or Gamsol with colored pencils, then you don't want to use a pigment ink pad, as most of them are also solvent-based, so you DO want to use a dye ink pad. Hybrid inks vary widely, so you sort of have to test them to see what works with what.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

I have purchased three so far. Rubber Ducky, Black, and Orange Spice.

I'm pretty happy with the colors, but agree with you on the lids and how hard they are to open. I actually posted that to the Scrapbook.com website and had someone take me to task for not putting the lid on the bottom to make it 'thicker' and easier to hold. I have hand issues also and they are thin to begin with..when I put the lid on the bottom, I inevitably end up with ink on the tips of my fingers. Which I have to go wash off before starting my project.

The colors stamp well and are very saturated. In my endless quest for a nice, solid black, this one performs well for me. Not at good as, say, Memento Black, but its pretty darn close.

I'm looking forwards to picking up a few more colors if they have a sale for Black Friday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2019, 05:21 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hybrid Inks

I have seriously considered purchasing the complete set of hybrid inks from scrapbook.com...however...have not done so for the following reasons:
they are difficult to open.
there is no color marker/name on the side of the ink for vertical storage. Yes, I could do this myself but with a new product, why would it should already be there?
scrapbook.com refused to give me free shipping on an order that was very expensive (for me). They said they sometimes offer free shipping but not with other sales promotions. Pay me now or pay me later!
I also like the ombre of each color and that they can be used with alcohol markers or water based markers.
So..still looking for the perfect hybrid inks, at a price that is affordable, with containers that are user friendly, have name/color mark easily visible vertically and with a company that offers a deal too good to pass up!
Is it out there??? maybe black Friday?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks so much for the thoughtful review of the Scrapbook.com inks. Between Distress Oxides and Altenew, I’m probably good for a while, but it’s nice to know about these for filling in colors.

As for black with Copics, I’ve been using the Gina K Amalgam Black, which will hold for both watercolor and alcohol markers. That way I’m covered just in case I change my mind. Not that that ever happens... hahahaha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
Thanks so much for the thoughtful review of the Scrapbook.com inks. Between Distress Oxides and Altenew, I’m probably good for a while, but it’s nice to know about these for filling in colors.

As for black with Copics, I’ve been using the Gina K Amalgam Black, which will hold for both watercolor and alcohol markers. That way I’m covered just in case I change my mind. Not that that ever happens... hahahaha.

I bought the Gina K Amalgam black for this same reason. It is called jet black. Must say I don’t totally love it. I’m a Versafine Clair Nocturne fan - this ink is a deep, intense black. The Gina K jet black is just ok, but no where near the intensity of VC Nocturne. That being said, VC is not alcohol ink friendly because it is a pigment based ink.
My question for you is this: is the the Gina K Obsidian amalgam ink, darker/more intense than GK Jet Black? ( At the time I ordered my GK ink, the only black amalgam ink she had was jet black.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I finally got out my set of "Pink" inks from Scrapbook.com. 4 colors and they are a wonderful ombre for layered flowers. I'm at work and can't remember the ink names except the darkest is Havana Red. This series leans toward orange or peach and not the 'blue-pink' of their "Red" group. (The lightest pink in that group is too light for layering, in my opinion).
I stamped on Joann's brand ParkLane 110 lb and the flowers are great!
I had tried some other brands to get a good ombre, but none worked like this color group.
I don't find the cases hard to open. They don't seem very tight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gina K Obsidian

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I bought the Gina K Amalgam black for this same reason. It is called jet black. Must say I don’t totally love it. I’m a Versafine Clair Nocturne fan - this ink is a deep, intense black. The Gina K jet black is just ok, but no where near the intensity of VC Nocturne. That being said, VC is not alcohol ink friendly because it is a pigment based ink.
My question for you is this: is the the Gina K Obsidian amalgam ink, darker/more intense than GK Jet Black? ( At the time I ordered my GK ink, the only black amalgam ink she had was jet black.)

This is a very dark ink. I've stamped on pattern paper and wasn't able to see the pattern at all.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes