Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Nestabilities Measurements...boy do I have a question!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/nestabilities-measurements-boy-do-i-have-question-411735/)

Reddyisco 01-16-2009 01:36 PM

Nestabilities Measurements...boy do I have a question!!

I just bought my first nestabilities. I bought the Classic Rectangle. When I cut my rectangles and nested them....much to my surprise the frame on the sides of the rectangles are 1/4 inch and the frames on the top and bottom is 3/8 of an inch. I just assumed that I would wind up with a 1/4 inch frame all around. It looks funny to me and not what I thought 'nesting' was!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!!:confused:

kitty14 01-16-2009 02:18 PM

I am NOT sure about this but I'll give it a shot. I get mine monthly, 1 set at a time. There are about 5 or 6 pieces in it, right?

I think it turns out that we have to have all 4 rectangle sets in order to have them turn out with a more even border. By all 4 rectangle sets, I mean the big set that costs about $70 -$80 depending on where you get them. That way you can use pieces from all the sizes and they will have a more uniform border around them. Not sure I made myself clear.:confused:

Hopefully someone else knows how to explain it better.

I just went back and read you post again. There are Classic rectangles in both Large and Small. Maybe if you have BOTH sets, they "nest" better?

Reddyisco 01-16-2009 02:34 PM

Hi Kitty14....no you made it perfectly clear, thanks. To be honest, even as I was writing my post I think somewhere in the back of my head I already knew that this was the answer. I'm a little disappointed in the way the product is put across. I love what you can do with them, but I wish I had understood better what you have to buy to get them to do what I thought they were going to do. KWIM? I can see that it's going to have to take out a second mortgage to get the job done!!!

CathyRose 01-16-2009 02:56 PM

Yep, I got caught on this one too. I thought I was going to be using them to 1/4 mat each of the smaller ones, but I will have to buy the other sizes to do that. I guess I didn't do the research this time.

kitty14 01-16-2009 02:59 PM

Yes, we are all meeting in that lake called "Disappointment!"

And it takes "forever" (sigh) to get all 4 sets when you're doing it monthly.:twisted:

Buggy21 01-16-2009 04:17 PM

I must admit I was a dissapointed as well with mine.
I thought that I would have an even boarder as well.
Thanks for explaining.
Love Angie..xx..:)

1gr8lady 01-16-2009 10:36 PM

Wow, I'm glad I read this thread. Nestabilities are on my wishlist, and I assumed that I only needed to buy one set, not all four. Now I know to save more money to get the full set of four at one time, as it is cheaper to buy the set. I would never have thought that they had different border sizes. They just want to suck you in for so much money. :x

kimb0 01-17-2009 05:26 AM

I just bought a cuttlebug and my first nesties over the holidays--I bought the large circles and the large squares. I was disappointed that the visible borders were 1/4" rather than the 1/8" I see on so many samples in the gallery. I have since learned that you have to buy the large and small sets in order to get the 1/8" reveal! Live and learn, gals! :-)

crafty*cat 01-17-2009 06:50 AM

Try this.....

I only have one set of matching rectangles and squares(e.g.- lg rectangle/lg scallop rectangle) and I use my paper cutter to cut the rectangle layer to go between rectangle and scallop rectangle layers that I cut with the nesties. (This way there is a 1/8" reveal.) Saves on paper and no one can tell that the middle layer is not cut with a nesties die. Hope this makes sense. Works for me!

Debbie

scherry 01-17-2009 06:55 AM

Help me - I am ready to buy nesties... When nesting with any set, is there an "even" border around two pieces? I know that to get the 1/8 you have to have both large and small. Thanks.
Sally

speanburg4 01-17-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reddyisco (Post 12751646)
I just bought my first nestabilities. I bought the Classic Rectangle. When I cut my rectangles and nested them....much to my surprise the frame on the sides of the rectangles are 1/4 inch and the frames on the top and bottom is 3/8 of an inch. I just assumed that I would wind up with a 1/4 inch frame all around. It looks funny to me and not what I thought 'nesting' was!!

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!!:confused:

I think this particular problem is unique to the rectangles. I pulled mine out and compared them. I think the issue is with the scallops. To keep the same number and proportion of the scallops, they had to make the rectangles a little longer. So they made the plain rectangles a little longer so they would nest with the scalloped ones. It doesn't matter if you have both large and small, they will still be a little off on the length. I have been using mine for over a year and I honestly never noticed the difference, and I am usually pretty picky about things like that.

Soozie4Him 01-17-2009 07:54 AM

I have the scalloped circles and scalloped ovals with the matching plain circles/ovals. Does this mean that I can't make a nice matted pair with them??

You can tell I haven't tried them out yet....

Scamper64 01-17-2009 08:37 AM

I agree that I think the "problem" with not even edges is with the rectangles only. I love my Nestabilities and have purchased them a bit at a time--and sometimes a whole set at a time. Creativeplaystamps.com has the sets of 4 on sale for $63.99 with free US shipping. That breaks down to about $16 a set which, in my opinion, is very reasonable. They are good people there and have great customer service!

hawk 01-17-2009 10:02 AM

I was dissapointed with the sizes on the nesties too. I was expecting the "standard" 1/8" border I had become accustom to using when layering, but found I would have to buy yet another set to get the effect I wanted.I do love having all the sizes available that I cannot get with punches but was bummed at having to purchase more and more and more.:::sigh::: I found this site which shows the effects of layering the different size ovals, hope it helps.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...llbinders_faq/

peebsmama 01-17-2009 02:46 PM

I noticed this too with my rectangles set. But it only seems to be an issue with matching the straight rectangles with the scalloped ones. I think it's because to keep the number of scallops even on both sides, they had to compromise on the sizes. Since I'm pretty OCD about straight lines and even mats, this kind of bothered me, but I'm trying to let it go.

peebsmama 01-17-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk (Post 12761857)
I was dissapointed with the sizes on the nesties too. I was expecting the "standard" 1/8" border I had become accustom to using when layering, but found I would have to buy yet another set to get the effect I wanted.I do love having all the sizes available that I cannot get with punches but was bummed at having to purchase more and more and more.:::sigh::: I found this site which shows the effects of layering the different size ovals, hope it helps.
http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/capt...llbinders_faq/

Thanks for posting this link. It has some interesting things about nesties on it.