Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Need help with PTI Impression plates please. (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/need-help-pti-impression-plates-please-550013/)

Bahb 03-08-2012 10:18 PM

Need help with PTI Impression plates please.

There used to be info on the PTI blog that explained how to use their texture plates which are unique to PTI. Now that I've blown hours searching that site, and wrecked the wood grain plate beyond repair, I need help so I don't wreck the new plates that arrived today.

What sandwich do you use in a Cuttlebug? I've got every kind of mat and shim and plate and gasket, but still can't get a good impression like I get with every other brand of embossing tool.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Bahb

rsalamon 03-09-2012 03:16 PM

Try this YouTube video put out by PTI: Impression Plate 101 with Papertrey Ink - YouTube

Good luck!

uncbballfan 03-10-2012 10:23 PM

They are made to give you an impression, not a full-blown embossed image like embossing folders.

My CB layer is, from the bottom up: A plate, B plate, impression plate face up, CS face down, embossing mat, B plate.

Sometimes I use a couple of cardstock shims also. I've also read that you can mist your cardstock to get a better impression (I've not had to do this, but if I needed to, I would probably mist my CS with alcohol so as not to warp the paper.)

Bahb 03-11-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 19262900)
They are made to give you an impression, not a full-blown embossed image like embossing folders.

That's interesting! Am I the only one who didn't know that? Now I'm sorry I bought them, because using the sandwich you mentioned makes an impression so slight it looks like a mistake rather than something intended. And adding shims is how I wrecked the wood grain one.

But I do appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Bahb

Bahb 03-11-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsalamon (Post 19259451)
Try this YouTube video put out by PTI: Impression Plate 101 with Papertrey Ink - YouTube

Good luck!

Thanks for that link. Just recently I got an internet connection fast enough to watch You Tube videos, but I keep forgetting to look there for help.

bahb

KatarinaM 03-11-2012 06:27 PM

Misting your cardstock with water or alcohol makes a HUGE difference in the impression you get with these too, and I always get better 'debossing' than 'embossing'. Here's a card I made using one of PTI's impression plates:
Warm 'n Cozy by KatarinaM - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Although the impression is not like a folder, it's still really beautiful. Don't give up on those plates yet!
HTH.

MathGoddess 03-11-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaM (Post 19264957)
Misting your cardstock with water or alcohol makes a HUGE difference in the impression you get with these too, and I always get better 'debossing' than 'embossing'. Here's a card I made using one of PTI's impression plates:
Warm 'n Cozy by KatarinaM - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Although the impression is not like a folder, it's still really beautiful. Don't give up on those plates yet!
HTH.

I love your card!

TTB 06-24-2012 12:46 PM

Spritzing the card stock does make all the difference in the world. Thanks