Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Palette icon Peerless Water Color Books

Hi!

I have a question for those of you familiar with the Peerless Water Colors Books. The instructions say to snip off a bit & place it in water to activate the pigment for water coloring. I thought these were good for when traveling, or so I was told. I understand the pigment is rich on these pages, so do you have any advice on HOW TO use them, different from the books instructions? Would LOVE to hear!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I cut a 1 inch square of each color and glued it to a piece of white paper, then glued that to a piece of chip board for stability. I just use a wet brush to take the color off of the square. Underneath each I did a swatch of the color.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2020, 01:33 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you odie1! I wondered, & thought that your way was "the way" it was to be used, with just touching a wet brush to it. Thank you odie1 for answering my question!

Still open to hearing how others use theirs too! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

As mine were given to me by a friend w no directions I never heard the snip the piece off part. I have been doing the touch it with a wet brush too. However I also thought it does not last long so I would only want it as a travel with a water brush.

Then I discovered WC pens...and now once the peerless is gone I wont get more. But peerless probably has nicer colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2020, 08:08 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
As mine were given to me by a friend w no directions I never heard the snip the piece off part. I have been doing the touch it with a wet brush too. However I also thought it does not last long so I would only want it as a travel with a water brush.

Then I discovered WC pens...and now once the peerless is gone I wont get more. But peerless probably has nicer colors.

I got these for my B.D. & after reading the booklet that the pigments are in, I saw that they weren't so easy for traveling after-all! LOL That is why I decided to ask here. I've been eye-balling the Tombo Markers too. Is that what you're referring to? OR is it the Zigs or Arteza Brush Pens? I LOVE to have WC in different forms to keep it interesting! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I really like them WC when doing a project when we travel.
I took small pieces of each color Of the peerless sheets and used double sided tape to stick them on a travel sized piece of heavy 140# WC paper.
I allowed a bit of space between the color swatches to use as a mini palette to test color strength,etc.

I sized the WC paper that hold these bits of Peerless to fit in one of my heavy weight stamp storage envelopes (my fav is Ellen Hutson). This keeps the peerless pigment from accidentally migrating on to other papers.

The little bits of Peerless have quite a bit of color on them. If you discover that you use more of a particular color(s), just cut larger pieces of that color and tape your traveling palette. The used bits are easy to pop off with a metal spatula or knife. Add a fresh piece with double sided tape on the back and you are ready to go again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2020, 03:59 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU, Susy! SUCH a GREAT IDEA! AND THANK YOU TOO for letting me know your thoughts on the Peerless WC's themselves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2020, 05:26 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
THANK YOU, Susy! SUCH a GREAT IDEA! AND THANK YOU TOO for letting me know your thoughts on the Peerless WC's themselves!

You are welcome! The Peerless sheets can be intimidating to use as they are packaged (mine came as 2”x2” pieces, stacked like a deck of cards.) Cutting them in smaller pieces makes them much more approachable- you know if you somehow ruin that small swatch, you’ve got more to replace it.

I fell in love with Peerless watercolors the first time my brush hit the pigment. It instantly activates with no massaging, and the colors are vibrant and satisfying. Hope you soon discover the joy in using these old school style watercolors. You are in for a treat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Palette icon

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLady

You are welcome! The Peerless sheets can be intimidating to use as they are packaged (mine came as 2”x2” pieces, stacked like a deck of cards.) Cutting them in smaller pieces makes them much more approachable- you know if you somehow ruin that small swatch, you’ve got more to replace it.

I fell in love with Peerless watercolors the first time my brush hit the pigment. It instantly activates with no massaging, and the colors are vibrant and satisfying. Hope you soon discover the joy in using these old school style watercolors. You are in for a treat!

THANK YOU, Susy! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

PS on using the Peerless WC. Use a real watercolor brush rather than an aqua painter (brush with tube for water).The aqua brushes tend to emit too much water and they will flood the pigment and make a mess (and waste the color).
Regular WC brushes allow you the freedom to choose how much water you want to use. After loading my WC with water, I stroke it over the back of my other hand to test the wetness. If it’s too wet, just do a couple more swipes on the back of your hand to dry it.
A lot of pros use a soft paper towel to the side of their work area to stroke off excess water - this works if you’re a pro. The rest of us have to actually feel the brush to know how wet the bristles are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 09:04 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I do use the paper towel method when painting! Little did I know, I'm a "pro!" by what you said! LOL ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I do use the paper towel method when painting! Little did I know, I'm a "pro!" by what you said! LOL <3

Tee hee! I am in awe of your pro skills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 298 Likes on 115 Posts

I made a travel palette of Peerless papers. I cut the "inside" edge and bottom of a 5 1/2" x 8" page protector open to create a "flap". I did this with four protectors. The attached Excel document is the pages that I created to go inside the altered page protectors. I printed them on lighter-weight watercolor paper (trimmed to 8 1/2" x 11" to fit in the printer) and cut them in half to fit in the protectors. I cut 1" squares of the Peerless sheets and used double-sided adhesive squares to attach them on the pages in their correct spot, then used my ATG to tape the pages inside the protectors (make sure you tape to the "non-flap" side). The protectors keep the colors from migrating/mixing. Another page protector was altered by sewing to create "pockets" to accommodate brushes and cloths, and one more for watercolor paper cut to size. The cloths I use are from one of Lydia's recommendations: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00AEFUWX6/ref=dp_prsubs_2
I also bought a small clipboard. All of the page protectors go into one of the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" notebooks, and the clipboard is tucked into the back pocket. Everything ready to grab and go!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Peerless Color Palette.xlsx (12.9 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by gregzgurl; 08-09-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Sue, do you think you could just do a photo for me? I don't have Office. Would LOVE to see your book!!! THANK YOU!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

I gave mine to my daughter so I can't take photos right this minute, but I plan to make another for myself. I'll take step-by step photos as I go - maybe that will be helpful...? Meanwhile, I'll attach the pages as pdfs for anyone who doesn't have Office.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Peerless cool and neutral colors.pdf (208.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Peerless warm colors.pdf (208.7 KB, 16 views)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2020, 05:10 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU, Sue! I would LOVE to see your step by steps!

The PDF's above make me think of Waffle Flower's Swatching Stamps! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 743 Likes on 362 Posts

Yes-tombows. But I hear good things about the others too. And they may have richer colors? Tombows have a lot of lighter ones with some rich ones. Of course there is no rule that says you cant use both on the same card.

As for brush pens I just keep a piece of paper towel around to dab off excess water. (no expert! I just use paper towels for everything! lol) But in the beginning with any WC you use a brush on, **personally** I find I have to wet it at least a bit to get it activated. I have seen bloggers take an eye dropper and pop a drop in all the pans they want to use and let it stand for a bit.

I don't know that you can do that with peerless. Some of mine's base paper pilled and I didn't even use that much-just went back more than once to pick up color.

These days if I am home I have a ceramic egg crate and I just squiggle the pen or the paint or whatever on the side of a cup/section and get it from there esp if I want a lighter shade. You can do that with a piece of acrylic, your teflon work mat, etc too of course. There are cheap plastic small palettes one could travel with.

I finally just broke down on the last round of sales and ordered one of the water media mats from waffle flower from ellen hutson. Took me over a year to do it. It has some wells on the side so we will see how that goes.

They have a small size now I guess a person could travel with. Said it is for cards up to 5 x 7. But are we talking about in a plane or a hotel room? I would not WC in any type of transport myself. I am unsteady enough LOL

OTE=TLady;21983266]
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper

I got these for my B.D. & after reading the booklet that the pigments are in, I saw that they weren't so easy for traveling after-all! LOL That is why I decided to ask here. I've been eye-balling the Tombo Markers too. Is that what you're referring to? OR is it the Zigs or Arteza Brush Pens? I LOVE to have WC in different forms to keep it interesting! LOL[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Palette icon

Quote:

Yes-tombows. But I hear good things about the others too. And they may have richer colors? Tombows have a lot of lighter ones with some rich ones. Of course there is no rule that says you cant use both on the same card.

As for brush pens I just keep a piece of paper towel around to dab off excess water. (no expert! I just use paper towels for everything! lol) But in the beginning with any WC you use a brush on, **personally** I find I have to wet it at least a bit to get it activated. I have seen bloggers take an eye dropper and pop a drop in all the pans they want to use and let it stand for a bit.

I don't know that you can do that with peerless. Some of mine's base paper pilled and I didn't even use that much-just went back more than once to pick up color.

These days if I am home I have a ceramic egg crate and I just squiggle the pen or the paint or whatever on the side of a cup/section and get it from there esp if I want a lighter shade. You can do that with a piece of acrylic, your teflon work mat, etc too of course. There are cheap plastic small palettes one could travel with.

I finally just broke down on the last round of sales and ordered one of the water media mats from waffle flower from ellen hutson. Took me over a year to do it. It has some wells on the side so we will see how that goes.

They have a small size now I guess a person could travel with. Said it is for cards up to 5 x 7. But are we talking about in a plane or a hotel room? I would not WC in any type of transport myself. I am unsteady enough LOL

OTE=TLady;21983266]
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumper

I got these for my B.D. & after reading the booklet that the pigments are in, I saw that they weren't so easy for traveling after-all! LOL That is why I decided to ask here. I've been eye-balling the Tombo Markers too. Is that what you're referring to? OR is it the Zigs or Arteza Brush Pens? I LOVE to have WC in different forms to keep it interesting! LOL

[/QUOTE]

The directions on the Peerless, say to snip off a bit & place it in a small amount of water to activate the pigments, but take the card stock out of the water. Your ceramic egg crate sounds DELIGHTFUL!!! Want to share WHERE you got it??? I am ALWAYS looking for unique palettes!!! They're SO MUCH FUN!!! I can NEVER have enough of them!!! LOL

YES!!! The Water Media Mat is SO NICE for Water Coloring! I like to use it when I use my Liquid Water Colors! It DOES grab cat hair though! I find just putting it in a sink of dish water helps to clean it! I too have the large one with the little wells! I think you'll LOVE IT!!! I'd use mine more IF I didn't have cat hair to deal with! LOL

I was wondering why EVERYONE seemed to go for the Tombo's too. I mean, EVERYONE has markers! So, they're RICH in color.....???? (Thinking ahead for Christmas....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2020, 05:04 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

As another (super cheap) alternative to watercolor markers/brush pens, I am fond of using Crayola markers (the big fat ones, even). I get the paper damp, scribble with the Crayola and blend it out with a wet brush. Quick and easy! They're probably on sale right now for back-to-school. Here's my fave card using this method:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

VERY COOL Sue, & SUPER IDEA!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 08:19 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 189 Likes on 156 Posts

I made a portable pallet of Peerless Watercolor squares. I took a large piece of watercolor paper and divided it into squares. I attached a 1" square of watercolor to each block. I labeled with the name and made a sample of the color next to it.I used watercolor paper so I'd get a good sample of what the colors would look like when watercoloring.
I also taped a piece of acetate to the center so colors wouldn't mix if damp while I'm working or when I put them away. The acetate turns like a page in a book so I can work with colors on either side.
I fold it closed, then slip it into a plastic envelope so it doesn't get bent.
Attached Thumbnails
Peerless Water Color Books-peerless-watercolor-storage.jpg  
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Palette icon

Quote:

I made a portable pallet of Peerless Watercolor squares. I took a large piece of watercolor paper and divided it into squares. I attached a 1" square of watercolor to each block. I labeled with the name and made a sample of the color next to it.I used watercolor paper so I'd get a good sample of what the colors would look like when watercoloring.
I also taped a piece of acetate to the center so colors wouldn't mix if damp while I'm working or when I put them away. The acetate turns like a page in a book so I can work with colors on either side.
I fold it closed, then slip it into a plastic envelope so it doesn't get bent.

VERY INTERESTING!!!! I LOVE those colors all lined up like this!<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's another way to store Peerless WC...by Jennifer McGuire. Video: Peerless Watercolor + Storage + Jane's Doodles Blog Hop + Giveaway - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Palette icon

THANK YOU for the link! I am enjoying all these different ways to store the Peerless!
Reply With Quote Likes