Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cuttlebug, Fiskers: Embossing

I have the Fiskars Embossing kit where you use the "knob" to rub over your paper to emboss it. I have Lupus and it has reached the stage where I cant push the "knob" hard enough to make an imprint. JoAnn's had a huge discount on the Cuttlebug and she explained that I could use the Fiskars embossing plates in it thus my energy level would not be in the way.

The sample templates that came with it works beautifully ... but the Fiskars templates do not work at all .... I can not get them to go through the Cuttlebug ... even with my hubby turning the handle.

Also ... be careful ... I bought a pkg. of Fiskars templates in a box that day and I was one short plus had two alike .... so some shopper or lifter had a heyday.

Now, is there anyone who can help me with this .... I love embossing and I have a Cricut 'Expression my soninlaw bought me but surely needs some good advice .... Thank you so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked out youtube for you and found a couple of videos:

YouTube - ‪FISKARS TEXTURE PLATES IN CUTTLEBUG MACHINE (Video #2)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Using Fiskars Embossing Pads in a Cuttlebug Machine‬‏

If it's not going thru your machine at all, I'm thinking that maybe your sandwich is too thick and you need one less plate in there. If you hold one of the texture plates next to your "B" plate, they're about the same thickness. I know when I've done them in my bigshot, I leave out the bottom acrylic plate.Also, you'll need some sort of squishy mat - either the Sizzix Texturz mat or a spellbinders mat.

Finally, with the texture plates, you won't get as deep an impression as the sample that came with your bug. You can get a better impression if you spritz the paper with a little water or alcohol first to kind of soften up the fibers.

Finally, if you're anything like me, now that you have your machine, you will not be able to resist buying many embossing folders. Especially now that there are even more companies starting to sell them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #3  
Glitter Queen

I use my fiskar plates in my CB all the time, I used to think that you have to push hard with a thicker sandwich to imprint but I broke my CB and discovered a thinner sandwich with my new one,

A plate
shim of cardboard, (I use a thicker one, but if you can't push it through use a cereal box piece cut to size, use one or 2 depending on how easy it pushes and leaves an imprint)
fiskars template, face up, with cardstock to be embossed,
silicone mat, or other, (I just brought a piece of silicone cooking mat that I cut into size)
C plate

this should go through easily, and leave a good imprint, if it doesn't experience with the thickness of your cardboard till you find the perfect match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the Fiskars and Sizzix texture plates all the time and they work really well in my Cuttlebug. This is the sandwich I use:

A plate
texture plate
cardstock to be embossed
silicone mat (I cut apart a silicone cookie sheet)
B plate
card stock shim(s)

I also spritz my paper with a water/rubbing alcohol mixture (about 50-50). This softens up the paper fibres so they form easily into the crevices of the design. I've always had really good results with this formula. Here's a couple cards I did using my texture plates and this method:

Ship at Sea

Good Luck Horse Racing

Its too bad that someone switched the plates in your box. I don't understand why people do things like that. It really irks me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #5  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Cheryl, Karee Sue, and Cat_Woman for all the great advice! I'm going to begin with Cheryl's and work my way through Karee's then Cat's.... I'll let y'all know the outcomes .... Thanks again, Granny Barbie aka ScapNgranny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

This is brilliant! <3 I am about to purchase a cuttlebug, (hopefully tonight!) and the idea of fiskars plates with their larger format embossers, and i'm hoping i can find the sets at Michaels tonight! <3

thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

I've tried the misting technique myself, but I didn't like the way it warped the paper, in the end I figured out my own sandwich where I don't need to mist, it doesn't leave quite as deep an impression as the cuddlebug folders do but it's still a good and very nice imprint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karee SueView Post
I've tried the misting technique myself, but I didn't like the way it warped the paper, in the end I figured out my own sandwich where I don't need to mist, it doesn't leave quite as deep an impression as the cuddlebug folders do but it's still a good and very nice imprint.
Instead of using water in your mister, fill it with rubbing alcohol. The alcohol mist will dry much more quickly than the water, so you need to work fast. Because it does dry quickly, it doesn't warp the paper like water. I have only used this on plain card stock with no stamping or coloring on it so I don't know if it would affect those. You might give it a try and see how it works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am so glad I found this thread. I bought Fiskers plates a long time ago and never got te hang of them. I never got rid of them so now I have to dig them out to try with my bigshot!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

ScrapNgranny, your Expression might also help you out.

I haven't got one but there's a setting on my Klic-N-Kut that 'scribbles' over the area. Normally you would use it to colour in with a pen but if you use an embossing tip, it rubs the paper into the Fiskars plate just like the little rubbing device would. I've tried it and it seemed comparable to the embossing device once I got the pressure right.

Maybe there is a setting on the expression that someone knows of that might duplicate this feature on the KNK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
The Cricut Expression is more of a cutting machine, not so much an embossing machine. I have both the Expression and the Cuttlebug, and I have arthritis, so these tools are sure helpful when my hands are not at their best.

You can emboss with the expression, outlines of images from cartridges, there is an aftermarket tool that goes where the cutting blade goes that allows this to happen. I don't have the tool, so I don't know where it can be purchased. I bet if you searched You-Tube you'd find how to videos, and a google search will yield where to buy.

Also, if you subscribe to the Cuttlebug, Cricut Chatter and Cricut FAQ's threads, you'll get lots of help and answers. Also, a bunch of enabling of the cool new stuff,

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

I'd imagine you would need SCAL to get a Cricut to emboss a large area, using a "banner fill" setting.

You map out a shape, eg a rectangle 6"x 4" then use the embossing tip to 'colour in' that area of card/paper while it is on top of the embossing plate.
Reply With Quote Likes