Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a Big Shot - good idea or waste of money?

I am tossing around the idea of purchasing a Big Shot and am wondering if it's really worth it. I've used one twice at card classes and read the sticky on it, but am confused by all the posts. Not sure I understand all the pads needed to make a sandwich; and, do I have the time to figure all this out?

I'd like to get your input if you own one before I splurge and shoot my stamp budget to heck and back (trying to cut down on my fun money expenses, and for the cost, I could buy some stamps and/or lots more dew drops!)

TIA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Personally I love mine. It took some practice getting the pads etc...straight but with the threads going on, you'll get it! I love that I can use sizzix, cuttlebug and nestabilities in it. It's heavy but I like how it handles. I can sit on the floor and crank stuff through it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Ok, not to help enable you or anything (hehehehe) but the Big Kick (same thing as SU's Big Shot - just different colors) is on SALE right now for HALF-OFF at Joann.com, AND they are offering FREE SHIPPING too for orders over $50. Go ahead, click the link below!! : )

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...DID=xprd582015
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I must say that I really debated about getting a Big Shot. I'm not a big scrapbooker and wasn't sure how much I would use it. This summer I bit the bullet and I can honestly say that I LOVE my Big Shot!! I have been having so much fun making boxes, baskets, bags, pennant banners, etc.

Plus, if you are thinking about getting a Big Shot, there is no better time than now to order one through your Stampin' Up! demonstrator.

Last edited by craftdoc; 03-17-2009 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Removed promotional language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love, love, love my Big Shot. The pads aren't really confusing once you have them - there's a Multipurpose Platform that takes care of different thicknesses of dies (Like from different companies) and then the cutting pads. Then if you want to use the larger dies, you get longer cutting pads. Another thing about the Multipurpose platform is that it has pictures on it to help you figure out the right sandwich for what you are doing.
And I think it's a really sturdy machine - well built.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Fabulous toy...errr ummm I mean investment :-) I've had mine for a while now and find myself increasingly reaching for it almost on a daily basis now - it is so sturdy and just this morning I was cutting through chipboard with it - I LOVE it - and it cuts through fabrics very easily and I've used it quite a bit for that too :-)

Last nite I used it to make some cute bunny baskets for teacher gifts - my little people came into my craft room and loved them so I secretly made a couple I stashed away for them for Easter :-) *

Good luck with your decision making :-)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 03-17-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: Removed blog link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Love it

I got mine through US last year, the whole beginners kit and I just love it. Fortunately, I watched the sizzix video which described exactly how to use the machine for the larger dies, the smaller ones and even the embossing folders.

After watching it, it was so simple, it was like child's play. It is fast, easy and wonderful results. I use the Top Note the best and not just for the odd bit of scrapbooking but mainly for cards. It is very versatile.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Big Kick, which is basically the same thing as the Big Shot, and I absolutely LOVE it!!!! I love what all I can do with it!! I even talked a customer at Michaels into buying one (no, I don't work there or get anything in return for my advice)..... you won't be sorry....BUY ONE!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think that you will USE a die cutting machine, the Big Shot is a good one to buy. What I mean is, sometimes we (ME) get carried away because 'everyone has one' and then never even open the box after it gets into the house. (Guilty, guilty) Actually, the CB was my first venture into a die cutting tool. Just wanted to see if I would actually use die cuts/embossing folders, etc. I now have both and love them both. The CB was from me to me. The BS was on the wish list at Christmas and was a gift from my daughter. The CB goes with me to workshops and the BS stays at home and holds down the fort.

The BS is a very sturdy machine and will last a long time. You can use other companies dies/texture plates/embossing folders or stencils, etc. Good luck on your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Big Kick and love it. I use it for almost very card I make, either die cutting an image or using the texturz plates or CB embossing dies or sizzix dies, even embossing stencils. I got my at M's with a 50% off coupon. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I bought my Big Shot initially to replace my old red Sizzix and my Quickutz hand tool, neither of which I really used all that much to begin with. I will say that since getting the Big Shot a couple of years ago I do use my dies a little more often. I really like that I can run up to 6 of my wafer thin QK dies through the machine at a time. Also, it's really nice to have the ability to cut through felt and chipboard so easily, which is why I keep my MANY steel-rule Sizzix dies around. But...

Embossing folders are an entirely different story!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, the Big Shot is worth it for those alone. I have about 10 of the Cuttlebug card-size embossing folders. Even if I never bought another embossing folder (fat chance, LOL!) I would still get every penny out of my Big Shot with what I have. As for the embossing plates by Sizzix and SU - I personally don't care for the effect. I think they create a more subtle texture, which is pretty, but they just don't produce the wow-factor that I get from the Cuttlebug folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

RE: the "sandwiches"

If you have the multi-purpose platform, it's really a no-brainer. I read of Cuttlebug owners having A, B, C layer "formulas". There's none of that with the Big Shot/Big Kick
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

I sold my cuttlebug and bought the Big Shot. I love the Big Shot. It is so nice to use. I use it a lot with my nestabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Big Shot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntKimiView Post
I am tossing around the idea of purchasing a Big Shot and am wondering if it's really worth it. I've used one twice at card classes and read the sticky on it, but am confused by all the posts. Not sure I understand all the pads needed to make a sandwich; and, do I have the time to figure all this out?

I'd like to get your input if you own one before I splurge and shoot my stamp budget to heck and back (trying to cut down on my fun money expenses, and for the cost, I could buy some stamps and/or lots more dew drops!)

TIA.
I had purchased a Cuttlebug quite some time ago. So, when the Bog Shot was intoduced by SU, I thought that it would be a complete waste of my money, because the Cuttlebug is so similar. I ended up getting rod of my CB, and buying the Big Shot anyway, and I LOVE it!
I can still use my Nestabilities, and my Cuttlebug embossing folders. Everything is perfect!
The sandwiches are not confusing at all - all of the directions are written on top of one of the sandwich pieces (the Multi-purpose Platform).

Good luck!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Love mine! It's the most versatile of the die-cutting systems. From a dollar-per-use standpoint, it's the best value in my craft room. I use it all the time!
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I will admit that I love gadgets and tools, so you may want to factor that into my answer. LOL. I have the cricut which is great for scrapbooking, but don't feel the need for the expression. I had the red sizzix and a cuttlebug (loved it), I had been on the fence about the big shot. However, with all the benefits of SAB, I had DH buy it for my valentines and anniversary gift. I LOVE it. I've sold the sizzix and cuttlebug and really think this is such a multi use tool, it's possibly the last die cut system I will need. Note I said need not want. LOL
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Cuttlebug and have resisted getting the Big Shot. I finally broke down and got one... http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP43678856.htm
even with my stampin up discounts and rebates, I couldn't get it as cheap as it was here... I do like it and find it's a lot easier to use. I haven't bought any of the texture plates from SU! but my Cuttlebug folders work great. I haven't really had to use the multipurpose platform but once... all the die cuts use the cutting plates. You will want the extended cutting plates if you get any of the XL dies.

Hope this helps. YOu won't be sorry.... I'm actually selling my Cuttlebug to a friend. I cracked two plates using the BigZ dies in it... I didn't rotate the plate so it got bent on one side... really was more user error than anything. It happened during my stamp club night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by reneecarpenterView Post
I have the Cuttlebug and have resisted getting the Big Shot. I finally broke down and got one... http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP43678856.htm
even with my stampin up discounts and rebates, I couldn't get it as cheap as it was here... I do like it and find it's a lot easier to use. I haven't bought any of the texture plates from SU! but my Cuttlebug folders work great. I haven't really had to use the multipurpose platform but once... all the die cuts use the cutting plates. You will want the extended cutting plates if you get any of the XL dies.

Hope this helps. YOu won't be sorry.... I'm actually selling my Cuttlebug to a friend. I cracked two plates using the BigZ dies in it... I didn't rotate the plate so it got bent on one side... really was more user error than anything. It happened during my stamp club night.
Wow, I thought SU'!'s as a deal. Even with the extra dies, etc. this one at Ritz was still cheaper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you ladies. Renee pushed me over the edge with the deal from Ritz Camera. I just ordered it and even my husband said that was a hard deal to beat.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. Can't wait until mine gets here and my niece and I can play with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

So glad I was able to enable Love mine!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

You'll really enjoy it - I have a cuttlebug that I bought b/c a friend told me I *had* to have it - and then i didn't open it for like 6 months. But oh, when I did!! What fun and I'm sure that once you get it and can play with it, it will all make sense!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Embossing folders are an entirely different story!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, the Big Shot is worth it for those alone. I have about 10 of the Cuttlebug card-size embossing folders. Even if I never bought another embossing folder (fat chance, LOL!) I would still get every penny out of my Big Shot with what I have. [/QUOTE]

I agree!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my BigKick(same as BigSHot). I resisted buying it for a long time and said I didn't need it, wasn't going to get my money's worth etc. I finally bought the bullet w/a M's coupon about 18 months ago and I love it!!!

I too was initiall intimidated with the thougth ofdifferent sandwiche formulas for different dies but its really not confusing. Lots of places online have "cheat" sheets that you can print off if you get confused. I was initimidated and didn't use my nestabilities for a long time until I was working on a project whre I HAD to and I couldn't believe how easy they are to use with the mulitpurpose platform (comes with the machine) and 2 clear cutting pads that also come with the machine.

Go for it!! HTH Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Oh yes - love the embossing folders. I just picked up a Texturz Starter Kit for $2 yesterday at Michaels (they are moving so it was marked waaaaaay down) and can't wait to play with it in my cbug.

I can't remember where I read this - but someone said they thought embossing folders were too expensive. I get mine for $5 at Hobby Lobby - and considering how much I use them, that's a bargain. Heck I'd probably pay $7 or $8 for them. They are that cool! And the texture plates are quite a bargain too!

I would have to say that there are quite a few tools in my space that I've regretted buying - but my cbug is not one of them. And if I had more room and could leave the Big Shot set up somewhere, I'd probably upgrade to it just because it's a tad bit wider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Ok, So I went to ritz to price everything out. SU price for the starter kit is &195.95 w/o the Ext cut pads you need with the bigz xl dies. If you add that ext pad to the bill it would be $ 215.90..

NOw if you go to ritz and order everything including ext. cut pads. it comes to $156.54 .. hmmm I know what I am gonna do. I hope this helps eveyone. I did one bigz die and one bigz xl just so I would have one of each. What a deal

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

But with SU you would get hostess benefits, plus before 3/31 you'd get 4 free Sale-A-Bration sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

True, also Ritz has free ground shipping. Hmm I might have to go look and see what I would get in hostess bennies

Reply With Quote Likes