Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality cardstock

Can someone please tell me what you generally is considered 'quality cardstock' on here? I generally use SU and I just ran out of whisper white, so want to see if I can pick something up to tide me over until my order comes in.

Yesterday someone on here suggestion the Georgia Mills 100 lb that Walmart sells - so I headed to Walmart last night - and alas, the Walmarts in Canada don't appear to carry that product. The best cardstock I found was a 65 lb, so I left it because I didn't know if that would be good enough.

Does Michael's carry anything that's good (I've had some colored cardstock from there that wasn't very good at all so I thought I'd check). I can also head to a Staples or Office Depot.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

office max and walmart and sams carry the 110 lb weight sometimes its hard to find. i was never fond of mikes cs. i use it for kids when they do projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never bought cardstock in a store, as opposed to online, that I liked. It may just be the selection in my world!

I recommend:

SU
Paperteryink
Prism
Beckett's Expression #80 (essentially SU's Whisper White and Vanilla, but in different and wider color selections. I cannot tell these apart, especially the white)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

It's actually called 'Georgia Pacific'...maybe thats why you had trouble? I think quality cardstock is generally over 100 lbs. Papertreyink has great white cardstock and they ship quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes, you can't find the Georgia Pacific in Canadian Walmarts....last time I looked. You can try the Staples cardstock (Not Coverstock) it isn't too bad in a pinch....but I agree with Joan, the best stuff is online. I am a Prism lover myself. The staples cardstock I use for my "bases" and it seems sturdy enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I am in Canada and I buy the "Domtar" paper from Staples ... about $15 for 250 sheets ... I really like it, use it a lot. I cant remember the card weight on it, but I'm thinking its 110 lb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebeartView Post
It's actually called 'Georgia Pacific'...maybe thats why you had trouble? I think quality cardstock is generally over 100 lbs. Papertreyink has great white cardstock and they ship quickly.
Woops, I meant Pacific, not Mills - we have a store called Georgia Mills (it's linen and such) -anyway, a sweetie on here had told me Georgia Pacific 110 lb at Walmart and I took her pm with me to Walmart last night - and I didn't find anything over 65 lbs. I guess I'll check another Walmart out as another poster above posted that it is available in Canada! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all your suggestions! I'm going to email a couple of my SU friends in the city and see if anyone has some extra WW I can borrow/buy until my order comes in. If that doesn't work, I'll check another Walmart and if I still don't find anything I'll try Staples. I'd order online as many of you have suggested but I don't think it would get here any faster than my SU order, but I'll keep those names in mind for the future!

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Sounds like you have the same problem I do. There just aren't any decent stamping stores or stores with good stamping sections.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I've used the Georgia Pacific cardstock 110 lb, and I just bought a package of Domtar cardstock 110 lb ... both from Staples.

Connie
Ottawa, ON
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you can beat PaperTrey Ink's White CS, especially for card bases. It inks up well and takes all different coloring media well, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

There is a place called If It's Paper that sells all kinds of paper products. I found stationary supplies in there. They have 90-110 lb. weight paper and envelopes. I tried it out this weekend at a Scrap Retreat and it is "Wonderful". I only bought a few sheets and I am going back to get some more this week. I will get the details and post later this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I am a SU cardstock snob. With that said....you cannot find white cardstock anywhere as nice as Papertrey. Get on line and order it now. It is wonderful. I will never buy whispter whie again as long as I can get Papertrey's white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Default Quality cardstock

When it comes to white cardstock that you stamp on directly, I don't think anything beats SU whisper white. It gives the cleanest, sharpest image! Judikins also has several papers with different finishes you might want to try. When you see them at a stamp show, they usually give you postcard size samples of their cardstock.

Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Kittie, What makes it so great?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanda50View Post
There is a place called If It's Paper that sells all kinds of paper products. I found stationary supplies in there. They have 90-110 lb. weight paper and envelopes. I tried it out this weekend at a Scrap Retreat and it is "Wonderful". I only bought a few sheets and I am going back to get some more this week. I will get the details and post later this week.
Hi Wanda, where is If It's Paper located? My brother lives in the Roanoke area. If there's a store near Roanoke, I'll visit it the next time I'm down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with the people who find SU and Papertrey white paper excellent. I use Georgia Pacific white if I need it for matting, printing messages, or just a small stamping piece. For using markers or your blender and aqua pens, the cheaper GP paper starts to disintegrate and you don't get a smooth finish. You need a good quality paper for a sharp image. But for all other uses of white, I do use the GP paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #18  
Glitter Queen

You can go to FedEx Kinkos look thougt the card stock thay have they do have the 80lb smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Lots and lots of cardstock to choose from!

One of my favorite places to buy paper and cardstock online from is California Paper Goods (papergoods.com). They have a huge selection of decorative paper, cards, envelopes, etc. They have periodic auctions where you can get great deals. They also sell on ebay where you can get some good bargains.

My other favorite online paper source is Marco's Paper. On their website (marcopaper.com) they have a description of which papers are good for stamping. On the main page, click on the tab labeled "Can I stamp on this?" to see the paper info. If you sign up for their e-newsletter, you get a discount on all purchases (just remember to tell them that you are a subscriber when you order!).

hth,
Nancy S

Last edited by Paperlover; 04-16-2008 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention that these sources are online
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I am lucky enough to live right near the Marco's store here in the Dayton, OH area, and I work right across the street! They definitely cater to stampers and have a large selection. That said, I still buy SU! cardstock. I am a demonstrator, and so that helps my sales and doesn't cause me any confusion when I am preparing projects for classes or workshops. Plus I love it! I don't even use Michael's as a last resort for paper -- yucky quality.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I love the GP cardstock. Sam's club has a pack of 250 sheets for $7 and it is 110 weight. It is heavily sized (Hard surface) so it folds well and the ink does not bleed. Good luck!
Lindsay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les' GirlView Post
Can someone please tell me what you generally is considered 'quality cardstock' on here? I generally use SU and I just ran out of whisper white, so want to see if I can pick something up to tide me over until my order comes in.

Yesterday someone on here suggestion the Georgia Mills 100 lb that Walmart sells - so I headed to Walmart last night - and alas, the Walmarts in Canada don't appear to carry that product. The best cardstock I found was a 65 lb, so I left it because I didn't know if that would be good enough.

Does Michael's carry anything that's good (I've had some colored cardstock from there that wasn't very good at all so I thought I'd check). I can also head to a Staples or Office Depot.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!
I haven't read through all the responses. But, I will say that I tend to prefer:

80# weight in dyed (solid color) card stock (SU! quality is indeed excellent, IMHO, and there are other 80# brands out there, such as Bazzill, but, they still felt "flimsy" to me; colors were beautiful, but, I passed)

I also like 80# cover card stock, Neenah Classic Crest, Solar White, and Natural White.

Great for single layer cards, sturdy, smooth, but still has a great tooth for colored pencil work. It can also take watercolor (just use a drier brush than you normally would on watercolor paper to avoid pilling/buckling, and don't overwork the paper). I also use it for Copic alcohol marker work, pastels, etc. Wonderful quality!

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:19 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I find this thread quite interesting. I have bought my base white or off white/vanilla at a place called Paper Zone. I now live in Southern CA and I am not sure if there is a Paper Zone here or not. That said, I have used 80 lb Wausau Paper in Royal Silk - which has a smooth finish. I can't remember what I paid for it - but I bought a ream of it - 250 sheets as it is much cheaper to buy it this way. I do like the colored cs that I can get from SU as I love to coordinate my ink and paper.

Have you been to the SPA lately? Come see what I have been creating over at the Paper Spa
I Make cards for Operation Write Home
Visit myStampin' Up Website - where you will find all the latest greatest from Stampin' Up. The new catalog is GORGEOUS with alot of new fun stuff - and you can get it for free. Contact me for details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I have also used Nekoosa paper that I also purchased at Paper Zone.

Have you been to the SPA lately? Come see what I have been creating over at the Paper Spa
Visit myStampin' Up Website - where you will find all the latest greatest from Stampin' Up. The new catalog is GORGEOUS with alot of new fun stuff - and you can get it for free. Contact me for details.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently attended a friend's TAC workshop and was very impressed with the weight/quality of their white cs. Has anyone compared it to PaperTrey's white (I don't have any)?

I usually use SU Whisper White or Very Vanilla if I want a neutral base (most of my cards are SU colors). I did buy a pack of the GP (Georgia Pacific) 110 # but found it to be not as thick as I'd expect for the stated weight. It is nice enough (esp. the price ... 250 sheets for $6-7) but I won't use it for bases with layers. Since both WalMart, Sam's, and office supply stores are all near each other (but not near me) I won't go out of my way to get another pack and will stock up on SU or TAC (depending on if I am ordering from myself or my friend) or pick up sheets (as need) from my LSS ... probably Bazzill or DoubleMates both of which are nicely thick and have a good texture.

Always fun to read threads like this.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I like exact index premium cardstock by Wassau. I get it at Office Max in the U.S. It is 110 pound. It is great for stamping. You get a really good stamped image because it is so smooth, and it doesn't buckle when you watercolor or using Twinkling H2O's on it. It was recommended to me by a rubber stamp artist who did a lot of watercoloring. The packaging has changed, and the words "exact index" are tiny and above "premium cardstock". It comes in white, ivory and a multi-color pack of ivory, gray, green and blue. It comes in packages of 250 sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcm2004View Post
I have also used Nekoosa paper that I also purchased at Paper Zone.
Hey... I grew up in Nekoosa!!! It's funny to hear all this talk about paper as many of these brands are from the paper mills in the area of Wisconsin I live in. I even worked at the Nekoosa Mill while in college. By the way, Nekoosa is now actually Domtar, which I believe is a Canadian company.

As far as my paper of choice, I use Neenah Classic Crest #110 cover in Solar White. It makes such a great card base and is great to color on. I haven't used Copics on it yet as mine are still on the way to me, but it's wonderful with Prismas and OMS.

If you have trouble finding any of these, I would try your local printer. That is where I get mine from. They will have nice envelopes usually too and for about the same cost as the Walmart ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpeaView Post
Hey... I grew up in Nekoosa!!! It's funny to hear all this talk about paper as many of these brands are from the paper mills in the area of Wisconsin I live in. I even worked at the Nekoosa Mill while in college. By the way, Nekoosa is now actually Domtar, which I believe is a Canadian company.

As far as my paper of choice, I use Neenah Classic Crest #110 cover in Solar White. It makes such a great card base and is great to color on. I haven't used Copics on it yet as mine are still on the way to me, but it's wonderful with Prismas and OMS.

If you have trouble finding any of these, I would try your local printer. That is where I get mine from. They will have nice envelopes usually too and for about the same cost as the Walmart ones.
I have been on the hunt for this; ordering it online was more (than a little) in shipping costs than the ream itself; I know paper is heavy and this is good quality paper we're talking, but, well, I couldn't bring myself to pay quite that much in shipping for it . . . :(

But, mebbe the local printer 20 min. up the island will have it . . . A girl can hope, eh?! *chuckle*

I would love to know your opinion regarding the Copics on the #110 Neenah, if you get a chance to pop back in on this thread and share an update? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the NEENAH classic crest solar white 80lb for everything and LOVE it. I get it from Papers Plus 250 sheets for about $20. It is great with Copics. I have not tried the 110lb yet but when I looked at the sample it seemed almost to heavy, if that makes sense. I will stick with 80lb for now. They also have an Ivory that is pretty much an exact match to SU! Very Vanilla. I usually keep the end of the packaging to make sure I get the same thing the next time, but for some reason can not find it for the Neenah Ivory. It was about $25 for 250 sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post

I would love to know your opinion regarding the Copics on the #110 Neenah, if you get a chance to pop back in on this thread and share an update? ;)

I will!! It's just killing me waiting for them to get here!! Never would have thought I'd be this excited over $$$ markers!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Bazzill is the absolute best cardstock for stampers and scrappers. It is definitely not flimsy, has many beautiful colors and textures to choose from. I work in a scrapbooking store and have access to many types of papers and cardstocks - Bazzill reigns supreme.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

I am in Canada, and I like Domtar Card Stock which I purchased from Staples. It has 92 brightness and 110 weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsybocookView Post
Bazzill is the absolute best cardstock for stampers and scrappers. It is definitely not flimsy, has many beautiful colors and textures to choose from. I work in a scrapbooking store and have access to many types of papers and cardstocks - Bazzill reigns supreme.
This is so good to hear. I recently discovered Bazzill papers and they are beautiful. I made a prototype invitation for an upcoming wedding shower on just my plain cardstock that I get from Paper Zone, however, I will be using the Bazzill cs for the final product as it is MUCH nicer quality.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

i know this question isn't about paper, but instead Copics because it has been mentioned here a couple of times. I read somewhere at some point about a club that you get Copics each month. Does anyone know what site or where this is?
THANKS

"I don't repeat gossip, so listen good the first time"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

I am in the same boat as JulieHRR, tried Bazzill and definitely thought it was flimsy. I do, however, really like Prism. And I am also a fan, as many are, of PTI Stamper's Select White Cardstock. I will have to try the Neenah, though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodi LeVesseurView Post
i know this question isn't about paper, but instead Copics because it has been mentioned here a couple of times. I read somewhere at some point about a club that you get Copics each month. Does anyone know what site or where this is?
THANKS
Gina K. has a Copic Club going and may add more people. Check out her blog for details. It's not letting me post the link, but her blog is called A Day in the Life, check the post on April 1st. HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

For those who order cardstock online, try the papermillstore*dot*com
They have awesome cardstock and text-weight paper at really good prices. I recently did a wedding invitation order where I had to match as close as possible the pinkish color that was in the bride's wedding. I found "Mountain Rose" coverstock and text-weight at The Paper Mill Store and ordered samples. The bride flipped! (And so did I!) The color was awesome, the weight was perfect, it scored so easily . . . we were both very pleased. I have since ordered some of their chip books, and more samples. The Vintage Collection is my favorite, but everything they offer is fabulous. They even have a variety of sizes and colors of envelopes to match.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Default White card stock

I use Papertrey white for all of my projects. I don't think it can be beat. I use all other card stock from Stampin' Up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Georgia Pacific

Have always used Georgia Pacific 110 lb. white CS from WalMart. 150 sheets for around $5.00. Can't beat that price for 300 cards and a good product. We use that brand at church for the base of all our recycled cards too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsybocookView Post
Certainly everyone has their preference, when it comes to paper weights; what I like and prefer may not be to someone else's taste, and vice versa. ;)

I'm speaking only from my personal preference and opinion. I never buy paper I haven't personally felt and touched; all I meant was that Bazzill simply did/does not meet my personal preferences.

I intended no insult with regards to Bazzill--t has a to-die-for color range and I know many, many people love it.
Reply With Quote Likes