Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   My Bug Broke - Is it time to switch to Wizard? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/my-bug-broke-time-switch-wizard-481287/)

askagain 02-21-2010 03:00 PM

My Bug Broke - Is it time to switch to Wizard?

What are your opinions ladies? I killed my Cuttlebug today (accidental death, not homicide) and my first thought was to run to Michael's and replace it.

My second thought was that maybe it was an omen for me to upgrade to a Wizard or maybe a Big Shot. I mainly use nestabilities and embossing folders so I think I may get better results with a Wizard than another bug. What are your opinions on the different machines out there?

Help.... I need to order something in the morning or I'll go into die-cut withdrawal!:-D

Glitterati 02-21-2010 03:33 PM

I don't have any experience with the Wizard but I LOVE my Big Shot. It's very sturdy, easy to use and gives great results.

dougnat 02-21-2010 03:36 PM

I'd go for the Big Shot. I have tried them both, when my cuttlebug dies I'm getting the Big Shot!

NikiM 02-21-2010 04:04 PM

Big Shot so much easier to use.

debbiemom23cs 02-21-2010 04:31 PM

You should check out the Wizard FAQ thread and watch some of the videos to see the Wizard in action. It has 3000lbs of pressure so the embossing is very detailed!

Good luck!!

askagain 02-21-2010 04:31 PM

Hmmmm.... I guess I never really thought about the Big Shot since I don't do a lot of SU dies. Now I'm gonna have to think of adding that to my list of options! Dang, that's a lot more to think about!

Ellibelle 02-21-2010 05:02 PM

Hi Anjou. I have the big kick and love it! It is basically the same as the big shot just looks a little different. I got it at michaels with coupon for less than $50.

Also if you really prefer the regular big shot, Joann.com has it on sale now $69.99. That's the pink and black one. Maybe there's a coupon too for free shipping somewhere.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd757461

MollyStamps 02-21-2010 05:42 PM

Wizard lover here - and although I do have the Big Shot as well, I prefer the Wizard for cutting and embossing the Nestabilities. There's just something so satisfying in the embossed results. I know many of you are reluctant to purchase this machine because you've *heard* there's such a learning curve, but doesn't take long to get the hang of it at all. I love using it!

Molly

stigmom6 02-21-2010 06:04 PM

I would go for the Wizard! can you tell me how you ACCIDENTALLY killed your bug. I have been trying for weeks but allas mine is built like a tank ;)

askagain 02-21-2010 06:16 PM

Thanks for the opinions... love to hear more.

Patti, it died when I tried this sandwich.... A place, Tan embossing mat, C plate, butterfly die by spellbinder and B plate. I tried cranking just a little too hard and the thing literally EXPLODED... side without the crank and the top just popped off. I can put it back together but now it pops with any pressure. Sigh... keep trying!

gails 02-21-2010 06:25 PM

I have no experience with the Wizard at all. I have a CB which I really liked--until I puchased a Big Shot. I bought the BS because I can use the bigz xl dies with it and I could not with the CB.

laurajeanbrown 02-22-2010 02:58 AM

I have no experience with a Cuttlebug or a Wizard, but I LOVE my Big Shot. I just LOVE it!

daffyrs1 02-22-2010 06:07 AM

I'm a bug lover & have had mine for almost 3 years now & I would be very upset if mine died too. If mine dies I would consider buying a Big Shot or just go out & buy another bug!

amethyst18 02-22-2010 07:44 AM

Just got a wizard and love it. Its easy to use and quite neat to store, Gill

daffyrs1 02-22-2010 07:52 AM

Can you use Bigz dies (like from SU) & embossing folders with a Wizzard?

ScrappinMoments 02-22-2010 08:40 AM

I have the Big Kick (same as Big Shot by bought at ACMoore for 50.00 on sale).

My daughter has the CB. Reason I went with Big Kick is the multitude of different brands that work very well with it. I have Nestibilities, some fisker embloss plates, SU Big Dies, and some CB dies/emboss plates.

I haven't found anything that I can't get through the Big Kick. There is a site that lists all the sandwiches for it, using the different dies/emboss plates. Unfortunately, I'm at work and don't have the link.

larue 02-22-2010 09:49 AM

I have a wizard and a bug. Yes, you can use any die in the wizard.
I usually use the nesties and other spellbinder dies in the wizard, as well as cut other dies.
I use the cuttlebug to emboss with the folders.
Love them both.
I have one of the original blue wizards and it was not hard to learn how to use it.

BillieDee 02-22-2010 09:58 AM

You might give Provo Craft a call. When my CB broke - they sent me a new one.

jeanstamping2 02-22-2010 04:21 PM

I personally like my cuttlebug. But I think if it were to break I would go with a Big Shot.

I've used both machines. and like both of them.

The other night my handle fell off when I was using it. But I have all the pieces to put it back together.

I guess I was using to much!

LorraineBK 06-04-2011 05:20 PM

Saw this thread and I'm wondering what you ended up getting and do you like it - lol. Yeah I know......been a while since the thread was started.

peanut14 06-05-2011 06:17 AM

My Bug broke

Subbing

stampinchicago 06-08-2011 11:17 AM

I thought I had read that the Wizard is being discontinued. eplaced by the Grand machine.

Allistamps123 06-08-2011 06:35 PM

When my bug dies a natural death...hope I don't kill it, I'll get a big shot! Don't get me wrong, I love my bug!

sempermom 06-09-2011 12:51 PM

i bought a bigkick at michaels with a coupon, and it is a workhorse!! its the old red and white, but i saw they now have it in periwinkle!

MelodyHimes1 06-09-2011 01:01 PM

If I were you, I'd go with the Big Shot. Love it so much!!

cuttlebug

lovetostamp3 06-10-2011 10:46 PM

If you want something with power, you might want to consider the Vagabond. It's by the Sizzix folks, but in the Tim Holtz line, and it's electronic......works like a charm! The motor is much stronger than their Big Shot Pro, and it's very easy to use. You can check out the videos on Tim's Blog.

Jeanne S 06-11-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 (Post 18411180)
If you want something with power, you might want to consider the Vagabond. It's by the Sizzix folks, but in the Tim Holtz line, and it's electronic......works like a charm! The motor is much stronger than their Big Shot Pro, and it's very easy to use. You can check out the videos on Tim's Blog.

The Big Shot Pro isn't motorized. It's like a superman version of the Big Shot.

lovetostamp3 06-11-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 18412971)
The Big Shot Pro isn't motorized. It's like a superman version of the Big Shot.

Oops, my mistake, it's the Big Shot Express that's motorized! I always get those two confused.... chalk it up to old age!!! Sorry about that..... :)

artycarty 06-15-2011 06:39 PM

You can't go wrong with a Vagabond!! that thing is so hardy I don't think you could break it again!
Steph

Pendant23 06-15-2011 07:07 PM

The wizard is great. It was the first on the market to sell every thing you needed to use all dies. It is very compact, too. That being said, I prefer my big shot. I just always had trouble getting the wizard sandwich started. The rachet handle sold me over the old red sizzix cutter (espcially the reverse if you made your sandwich too big). But now that I have a big shot I never use my wizard. Especially if you are doing multiples, so much quicker IMO.

I also have an Embossing Boutique. Got it at Michael's with 40% coupon. SOOO worth it again if you do lots of multiples.

Sizzix.com - Sizzix Texture Boutique Embossing Machine Only

lovetostamp3 06-15-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artycarty (Post 18428054)
You can't go wrong with a Vagabond!! that thing is so hardy I don't think you could break it again!
Steph

I'm with you, I love my Vagabond!!!

KalaKitty 06-15-2011 10:50 PM

I would definitely go with the Big Shot over the Wizard. I went to a weekend crop where someone brought a Wizard. I'm really glad I tried it because I found it very hard to use. So did my friend who went to the crop with me.

I would like to try out the Vagabond. I don't have any problems with my BS but sometimes when I'm making 100 + die cuts of something the idea of an electric cutter is very tempting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2 (Post 16186757)
I personally like my cuttlebug. But I think if it were to break I would go with a Big Shot.

I've used both machines. and like both of them.

The other night my handle fell off when I was using it. But I have all the pieces to put it back together.

I guess I was using to much!

This has happened to me a couple of times there is a screw in the handle that gets loose. all you have to do is tighten the screw and you're back in business.

nanofish2003 06-16-2011 04:03 AM

I have a cuttlebug and luv it.

As a heads up, the black rubber mat at the bottom of my bug came off...two screws holding it to the machine came loose and off....while looking how to put them back, I noticed 4 other screws that hold the bug together....3 were coming unscrewed.....they are the kind that I think is called hex screw... you know that kind that you have to use that funny looking tool to tighten them back...which I did....could have been a disaster if that bottom black mat had not come off and those 4 other screws came off!! ....unfortunately that mat is screwed to the machine from the inside and I cannot screw the mat back on...so I took some zebra duck tape and taped the mat back on.

So, if it is possible to lift up your black mat, check the 4 hex screws and see if they are not working their way loose like mine was.

mrshungria 06-16-2011 04:10 AM

I'm subbing to this only because I killed my cuttlebug and was so thankful it happened in the computer room (and not at the dining room table) when the back side flew off and hit the wall when I tried a too-thick sandwich. SCARY! As a new SU! demo, I'm voting for the Big Shot, but I'm very disappointed it died.

parknslide 06-16-2011 06:17 PM

Contact Provocraft---my CB broke too & they sent me a new one free of charge.

Lainy67 06-17-2011 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by askagain (Post 16180716)
Thanks for the opinions... love to hear more.

Patti, it died when I tried this sandwich.... A place, Tan embossing mat, C plate, butterfly die by spellbinder and B plate. I tried cranking just a little too hard and the thing literally EXPLODED... side without the crank and the top just popped off. I can put it back together but now it pops with any pressure. Sigh... keep trying!

OMG I am DYING laughing here. That JUST happened to me a few minutes ago. Seriously scared my husband to death. I remembered this post and came to check it out since OBVIOUSLY I need a replacement super fast. And reading this made me LOL. Read to my hubby - and he is like Gee sounds familiar!

KathiR 06-17-2011 07:23 PM

I just left my opinionated comment for you over at FB.

My suggestion is to get the Big Shot/Big Kick or Big Shot Pro (you can use the ginormous Nesties with it). I'd love a Big Shot Pro, but I don't have the room to leave it out all the time and it's too heavy/big to move.

AimeeInOhio 06-18-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MollyStamps (Post 16180420)
Wizard lover here - and although I do have the Big Shot as well, I prefer the Wizard for cutting and embossing the Nestabilities. There's just something so satisfying in the embossed results.

Molly

Agreed :)

cardsbynikki 06-18-2011 09:36 PM

That has to be a scary experience to have your machine just fall apart!! EEKS!