Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #281  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I've been stamping the index sheets to go with my laminated cardstock that my stamps are stored on so that I'd have a visual reference instead of just looking at the bare rubber. I was able to put the entire laminated sheet on the MISTI plate (with double-sided tape) and stamp the whole thing at once. Some of the images didn't come out perfect, so I just closed the MISTI up again, re-checked, repeated until all the images were perfect. It worked, and saved A TON of time over stamping each image individually!
You just sold me on this! When my order of Dura-Lar arrives next week, I will start reorganizing my unmounted and clear stamps. Being able to stamp the whole sheet of stamps at once (and repeat if needed) will be a HUGE timesaver. I'm going to hold off stamping index sheets until I can get one of these. Thanks for sharing this excellent idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #282  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter GypsyView Post
You just sold me on this! When my order of Dura-Lar arrives next week, I will start reorganizing my unmounted and clear stamps. Being able to stamp the whole sheet of stamps at once (and repeat if needed) will be a HUGE timesaver. I'm going to hold off stamping index sheets until I can get one of these. Thanks for sharing this excellent idea!
I so agree with Sue, after just finishing indexing my stamps. Misti made it so easy. Evernote is my choice for cataloging, but a stamped index is so useful for determining the size needed for a project. Deborah you will love the Misti!

Aliana just released a video showing the new Misti, that will be made by a Chicago company. Keep an eye on her blog and FB page for updates on product availability, and join her mailing list. When she has them, they fly out the door!
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #283  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
Ilana is now taking preorders for MISTI!
Thanks so much for sharing this info! I thought it would be a long wait and hard to get. I just placed my preorder and I'm thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #284  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

One thing worth mentioning here: I mix up all of my stamps from all of the companies and both clear and rubber, as I have them by category, not sets. Some are a bit thicker than others, so that gets tricky every once in a while when stamping a whole sheet. If I find that one image can't get stamped properly, I'll remove the adjoining stamp that may be preventing the faulty one from totally reaching the paper and close the MISTI up again. It's worked every time. Just be sure not to move anything out of position so it stays lined up properly...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 AM   #285  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

What's dura-lar? How will you be reorganizing?? Sounds intriguing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #286  
Proud Fan Club Member

Default Video New Preorder Misti

How exciting, here's a video Iliana on the new preorder Misti.
New MISTI - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #287  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Were you charged right away for the preorder? I think I will get one for my MIL to give me (we pick out our gifts and she pays).
Yes, the charge went through today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #288  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
What's dura-lar? How will you be reorganizing?? Sounds intriguing.
Grafix Dura-Lar Clear Film is an archival safe transparency used for safely storing clear and cling stamps. Dick Blick sells them in boxes of 100 8.5x11 sheets and I am going to cut each in half to make 2 carrier sheets for stamps and I'm going to round the corners. I debated several different ways to store them and decided on using Avery archival safe mini sheet protectors (8.5x5.5). Instead of using small binders, I will stand them up in bins (similar to Jennifer McGuire except I'm using a different size/type of sheet protectors). The stamped index sheets will be in front followed by the carrier sheet with the stamps. If the stamp set has matching dies, I will store them in the sheet protector with the stamps (but still in the small bag they are currently stored in so my stamps aren't damaged). I also ordered a lot of the 5x7 magnet sheets from Stamp-N-Storage for other dies that don't match a stamp set.

I am so excited to get my stamps & dies all organized in the same kind of storage. Right now it is a hassle to find anything. I've never really invested in any kind of supplies for organization. I've got a ton of stuff, especially stamps and dies, but it's all disorganized and taking the fun out of creating. So I've decided that my Christmas present to myself is going to be an organized craft room that is ready for action by Christmas eve. I will post photos once I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #289  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
dura lar is like acetate. But supposedly better.
This is correct because Dura-Lar is made of poly material that will not degrade photopolymer stamps. Clear stamps stored on acetate can become gooey and unusable over time because the acetate is not archival safe. It is also good for storing cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #290  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh noooo, now I'm going to be obsessed with worrying about my clear stamps turning gooey. lol I vaguely remember reading a thread on the subject, but managed to put it out of my mind. I think it would take me months to transfer my sets off the sheets they came on. Someone please tell me they'll be okay if they're from "good" stamp companies. (Lie to me, if necessary. )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #291  
Kookie Creator

Default Clear/unmounted stamp storage

Quote:

Grafix Dura-Lar Clear Film is an archival safe transparency used for safely storing clear and cling stamps. Dick Blick sells them in boxes of 100 8.5x11 sheets and I am going to cut each in half to make 2 carrier sheets for stamps and I'm going to round the corners. I debated several different ways to store them and decided on using Avery archival safe mini sheet protectors (8.5x5.5). Instead of using small binders, I will stand them up in bins (similar to Jennifer McGuire except I'm using a different size/type of sheet protectors). The stamped index sheets will be in front followed by the carrier sheet with the stamps. If the stamp set has matching dies, I will store them in the sheet protector with the stamps (but still in the small bag they are currently stored in so my stamps aren't damaged). I also ordered a lot of the 5x7 magnet sheets from Stamp-N-Storage for other dies that don't match a stamp set.
Great info, thanks! I just saw some bins from OTC today that I thought would work well for storage... one more thing on the to-do list!

Clear Classroom Book Organizers, Storage, Teacher Resources, Teaching Supplies & Stationery - Oriental Trading

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #292  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a 100-card project that required stamping on the front and on the inside. To do this with the certainty that MISTI would insure perfect images in exactly the right places on ALL 100 cards, without having to re-do a single card..........ahhhhhhh, such bliss made the MISTI price so worth it.

Thank you Illana .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #293  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, so my son has begged me for the past couple of weeks to let him know what I want for Christmas. I really have no idea since I really don't NEED anything.....until I saw this.

Which one should I get? The "laser etched" or the "screen printed". Don't know if there are pros/cons to either one.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 03:28 AM   #294  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Ok, so my son has begged me for the past couple of weeks to let him know what I want for Christmas. I really have no idea since I really don't NEED anything.....until I saw this.

Which one should I get? The "laser etched" or the "screen printed". Don't know if there are pros/cons to either one.
I was surprised she changed from laser etched to screen printed and the price didn't reflect the manufacturing savings. Screen printing will wear away over time. The harsher the cleaning product the more it will wear away. She actually shows this on her new video.

I guess the question is how much do you need the grid? I rarely use a grid and am pretty good at eyeballing.

I will be interested to see what her long term Customer Service will be on a known issue. FWIW I believe there was a We R Memory Keepers cutting system that had the same problem and they replaced them for free, I doubt a small business can afford to do that but the precedent for good service within the craft industry is set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #295  
Insane Embellisher

Can you even get the laser etched one any longer?
I have that one, but I thought, somewhere, she said you wouldn't be able to get it.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #296  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

This is correct because Dura-Lar is made of poly material that will not degrade photopolymer stamps. Clear stamps stored on acetate can become gooey and unusable over time because the acetate is not archival safe. It is also good for storing cling stamps.
Oh no! I did not know this and I really should have as long as I have been stamping! So are the sheets the stamps come on in the packaging acetate?
Thanks for posting this info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #297  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBinPaView Post
Can you even get the laser etched one any longer?
I have that one, but I thought, somewhere, she said you wouldn't be able to get it.
K
I'm pretty sure Iliana will continue to make the laser etched, but not on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #298  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
Oh noooo, now I'm going to be obsessed with worrying about my clear stamps turning gooey. lol I vaguely remember reading a thread on the subject, but managed to put it out of my mind. I think it would take me months to transfer my sets off the sheets they came on. Someone please tell me they'll be okay if they're from "good" stamp companies. (Lie to me, if necessary. )
There is a very informative and helpful thread about this where the OP contacted several major stamp companies to find out if they used poly or acetate carrier sheets. I'm not sure how to link that here.

In my case, I had removed most of my clear stamps from their carrier sheets and stored them in CD cases. Since I am changing my storage method anyway, I wanted to make sure I got archival safe sheets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #299  
Polyshrink Goddess

I suspect there's no manufacturing savings because there's a quantity requirement and they are still being hand made in the U.S. Instead of just Iliana making them she has help and hopefully will get these in stock.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #300  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
I suspect there's no manufacturing savings because there's a quantity requirement and they are still being hand made in the U.S. Instead of just Iliana making them she has help and hopefully will get these in stock.
The price has not changed because material cost is the same. But now labor is also an added cost. I have not paid myself any labor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #301  
Crimping Master

On Iliana's Facebook page she said she would be making a "few" laser etched ones but probably not until after the holidays. Also she said to have the manufacturer do the laser etching would make it more expensive.

Iliana also has a product description that she wants you to read before ordering. I have copied and pasted it below:

"This is the Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented. MISTI for short. Its simple hinge design provides consistent stamping for the novice or experienced crafter. It will accommodate both the red rubber cling mount stamps and clear stamp. MISTI will provide a platform for multiple stamp techniques. It offers the ability to use magnets to help positioning. (Magnets are not included, but available for purchase separately) MISTI is screen printed, saw cut, flame polished and hand assembled. Variance +/- 1/16 inch.

This tool is an investment you will treasure. MISTI will save time, supplies and frustration.

Screen printing is the process of pushing paint through a stencil. The paint will sit on top of the surface, with time it will wear away. Proper care of MISTI is important.

Wipe away excess ink from ink pads right away (especially permanent inks.) Do not allow ink to sit on the lid over night.
Gently wipe the lid. Do Not scrub or scratch.
Use Novus 1 Plastic polish for general cleaning only. Any other cleaner has the potential to remove the screen printing.
Do Not drop.
By purchasing MISTI you are agreeing to only use the recommended cleaner and follow cleaning and care directions. Using any other cleaners will be at your own risk.

DO NOT USE Inkssentials Solvent Cleaner or alcohol. If Staz-On cleaner sits on MISTI for extended period of time, it will strip the screen printed ink from the lid. These cleaners will damage MISTI."

In her video she also says she doesn't know how long it would take before the grid lines would wear away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #302  
Matboard Maniac

Way too expensive for me, sorry. My Fiskars Stamp Press cost me $10 and works just beautifully for me, so I am going to stick with that. I'm sure it's useful to many of you but I can't justify the $50 cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #303  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
Way too expensive for me, sorry. My Fiskars Stamp Press cost me $10 and works just beautifully for me, so I am going to stick with that. I'm sure it's useful to many of you but I can't justify the $50 cost.
I was hoping for large scale manufacturing too. I'm the MacGyver of craft tools so I will continue to work it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #304  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm not at all surprised that the only consistent negative digs about MISTI and Iliana's decisions in her process are from those who haven't used one. She's trying to bring a new item to market and it's incredibly difficult to do so successfully. She's going to have to make changes and compromises. I'd pay more than $50 for a MISTI, with or without an etched grid. Frankly, I'm thrilled that a woman came up with this and I look forward to seeing how it all moves along. My MISTIs arrived with an identical crack on the bottom but I'm not giving these babies up! They work fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #305  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteamingView Post
I'm not at all surprised that the only consistent negative digs about MISTI and Iliana's decisions in her process are from those who haven't used one. She's trying to bring a new item to market and it's incredibly difficult to do so successfully. She's going to have to make changes and compromises. I'd pay more than $50 for a MISTI, with or without an etched grid. Frankly, I'm thrilled that a woman came up with this and I look forward to seeing how it all moves along. My MISTIs arrived with an identical crack on the bottom but I'm not giving these babies up! They work fine.
If they arrived damaged you can file a claim with the USPS. All priority mail is insured for $50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #306  
Pearl-ExPert

I want to thank Iliana for creating this tool and pursing a manufacter to produce it so more will become available. I know the cost is still high but they are still handmade. I think Iliana does not want to start using lesser quality supplies.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #307  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Well said! I love my MISTI and I hope Iliana makes a lot of money for her hard work on this new invention!

I have to comment on the comparison between the MISTI and the Fiskars Stamp Press. While they are a bit similar they are definitely NOT the same. The MISTI is a million times better and I have used mine every day since I got it. It lives on my desk now. If it did wear out (I have the laser etched version) I would not hesitate to buy another one. It is well worth the $50 price.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 11-23-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #308  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Discussing product development and price points isn't a dig (did the same thing on the Envelope Board thread). I have been more than complimentary about the product. I have always said from the start that the price point is out of my range and I would like the product, so the best thing for me (not necessarily Iliana) is for the product to go to large scale manufacturing with a lower price point.

I also pointed out, as does Iliana in her own product video, that the screen printing is not as permanent as the laser etched and it would be up to the consumer to decide if they needed that. I even said it doesn't affect me as I tend to eyeball, thus allowing others to know that it probably isn't a deal breaker.

TBH if you look around at "new" craft products it seems there are knock offs relatively soon after any successful product goes to market so really it probably is in Iliana's financial interest to sell to a large scale manufacturer as large scale manufacturers can keep any small company tied up in courts much longer than a small company can afford to be.

It is sad that people want to see genuine constructive criticisms as a dig. There was nothing personal or malicious in this thread until people were accused of having a dig.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #309  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Well said! I love my MISTI and I hope Iliana makes a lot of money for her hard work on this new invention!

I have to comment on the comparison between the MISTI and the Fiskars Stamp Press. While they are a bit similar they are definitely NOT the same. The MISTI is a million times better and I have used mine every day since I got it. It lives on my desk now. If it did wear out (I have the laser etched version) I would not hesitate to buy another one. It is well worth the $50 price.
If you don't mind, can you please explain the difference between the two? Every comment I've found says something to this effect but never elaborates on how they are different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #310  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Discussing product development and price points isn't a dig (did the same thing on the Envelope Board thread). I have been more than complimentary about the product. I have always said from the start that the price point is out of my range and I would like the product, so the best thing for me (not necessarily Iliana) is for the product to go to large scale manufacturing with a lower price point.

I also pointed out, as does Iliana in her own product video, that the screen printing is not as permanent as the laser etched and it would be up to the consumer to decide if they needed that. I even said it doesn't affect me as I tend to eyeball, thus allowing others to know that it probably isn't a deal breaker.

TBH if you look around at "new" craft products it seems there are knock offs relatively soon after any successful product goes to market so really it probably is in Iliana's financial interest to sell to a large scale manufacturer as large scale manufacturers can keep any small company tied up in courts much longer than a small company can afford to be.

It is sad that people want to see genuine constructive criticisms as a dig. There was nothing personal or malicious in this thread until people were accused of having a dig.
I am not offended the slightest bit. Thank you for your honesty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #311  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MzteazeView Post
If you don't mind, can you please explain the difference between the two? Every comment I've found says something to this effect but never elaborates on how they are different.
I don't have the product but the difference between the Fiskars/Martha Stewart Stamp press and MISTI is that MISTI is definitely more precise and less prone to user error.

The MISTI has hinges and opens and closes like a clear book there is minimal opportunity for movement (I'm talking significantly less than 1%) so you are able to repeated stamp the same area, either for better coverage or if you missed a spot, or to make a ink like Memento more intense.

Stamp presses have sponge feet and there is wiggle room because of the sponge feet. If you are fantastic at lining up stamps then this is no problem. Obviously quite a few of us have issues with that because we are looking at MISTI.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #312  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I'm not bashing the product or Illiana, so please don't accuse me of such. I simply said that I find it way too expensive for my budget and acknowledged many may find it valuable to them, but I cannot justify the expense when my stamp press works just fine. There's nothing rude or nasty about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 PM   #313  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I don't have the product but the difference between the Fiskars/Martha Stewart Stamp press and MISTI is that MISTI is definitely more precise and less prone to user error.

The MISTI has hinges and opens and closes like a clear book there is minimal opportunity for movement (I'm talking significantly less than 1%) so you are able to repeated stamp the same area, either for better coverage or if you missed a spot, or to make a ink like Memento more intense.

Stamp presses have sponge feet and there is wiggle room because of the sponge feet. If you are fantastic at lining up stamps then this is no problem. Obviously quite a few of us have issues with that because we are looking at MISTI.

HTH.
I totally agree with you. You're only issue with the Misti is and has always been price. You are passionate about that, just as we are all passionate about supporting this great tool even at $50.00 You've always agreed that Misti is a wonderful tool. This board is for open discussion, and everyone should be able to voice their opinions positive or negative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #314  
Proud Fan Club Member

Woops! Think I'm worn out. Excuse the accidental double post!

Last edited by Annecards; 11-23-2014 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #315  
Matboard Maniac

My only issue with it is the high price as well. I've never bashed the product or its creator at all and never would.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #316  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlianaMyskaView Post
If they arrived damaged you can file a claim with the USPS. All priority mail is insured for $50.
Actually, that's not correct. You'd have to file the claim. The insurance money is paid to the shipper, not the receiver. You would then have to reimburse the person whose order was damaged. Also, the receiver would be required to save all packaging and take it to the post office for inspection. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 03:52 AM   #317  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Lies for the day:

No that yellow and black striped skirt doesn't make your butt look big
That metallic blue eye shadow is fab on you
Everyone can wear orange lipstick and...
"Good" stamp companies only use the right kind of storage sheets

It may be time consuming but I lost an entire set of Tim Holtz stamps because I hadn't got around to moving them off to my regular storage sheets. But you should know that it takes time for the stamps to degrade. I don't trust a clear storage sheet unless I know for sure the company is using the right kind of material.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 04:14 AM   #318  

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlFridayView Post
Actually, that's not correct. You'd have to file the claim. The insurance money is paid to the shipper, not the receiver. You would then have to reimburse the person whose order was damaged. Also, the receiver would be required to save all packaging and take it to the post office for inspection. Hope this helps.
there is a choice to select when filling out the claim for to select shipper or receiver for reimbursement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #319  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Here's the thread discussing safe storage: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...e-t590238.html

For anyone still sitting on the fence about MISTI and the price point, this is truly a case of "You get what you pay for" - it's worth EVERY PENNY (and I'm the Queen of Cheap)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 AM   #320  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Here's the thread discussing safe storage: http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...e-t590238.html

For anyone still sitting on the fence about MISTI and the price point, this is truly a case of "You get what you pay for" - it's worth EVERY PENNY (and I'm the Queen of Cheap)!
Oh Sue...........so well said!!!! Love, love, love mine!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes