Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #1281  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Some info

Patent infringement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #1282  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I am sorry, but I don't think sharing how to make a patent item is right. Even just posting a pic of your homemade item.

If you want to make an item for your own personal use, I guess that is ok, but sharing, on the internet,not a good idea.

Just MY personal opinion, people can do as they wish, but there my be consequences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #1283  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
If you only purchase the MISTI then it isn't so bad. I bought the MISTI and 2 magnets (shipping to SK Canada). There is an extra $3, I believe, for the international shipping insurance as well. I probably could have bought the magnets locally but figured by the time I drove around looking for them it was worth the extra few dollars. I didn't get the grid paper because it wasn't in stock that day and I don't really miss it. I can cut my own grid paper. I also didn't buy the NOVUS cleaner because I am sure I can find that locally. I haven't needed it so far. I have the cling vinyl on the outside and plan to get a piece for the inside so it should stay pretty clean.
If you need more magnets, if yours break for instance, you can find them at Lee Valley.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #1284  
Hardware Hotshot

I am in no way defending or criticizing a DIY MISTI or anything else.
However we frequently see "Patent Pending " so I thought it would be helpful to have the definition.

PATENT PENDING simply means a patent has been applied for but not yet granted .

A person can use the words "Patent Pending" indefinitely and even use it after their patent was denied as long as they re-apply for it again and again

Patent Pending - Patent | Laws.com

PS I bought a MISTI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #1285  
Compulsive Stamper

I have a MISTI, and I love it.
But, there is a tool, that is very similar, that was around before the MIsTI. It's called the Stampressive, and it looks like it was available only in the UK.
Stampressive - �34.99 - Christmas Stamps by Chloe - Chloes Creative Cards

Here's a video demonstration

http://youtu.be/mcPnEjgAT_g

So, if I understand the patent, this person is in the UK, so she's protected from patent law?

Last edited by Ashwyness; 04-27-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #1286  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by loyceView Post
I do not recall anyone taking issue with DIY recipes for stamp cleaners, shimmer sprays, etc. Why do we now chastise someone for making their own "stamping tool "that serves the same purpose as a MISTI?
I have seen pictures of using LEGO blocks for a DIY Stamp A Ma Jig ,
and tutorials for How to make your own embossing folders . No one jumped on the people who posted these ideas in fact they frequently congratulated them on their cleverness .

The few people who make a DIY product are not likely to buy the finished products for what ever reason

People here have shared a lot of DIY ideas however most people prefer to buy the finished product .
I am not going to chase around to find the materials to make it myself I bought the finished product

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-27-2015 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #1287  
Pearl-ExPert

It's all being handled poorly in my opinion. It reeks of the heavy-handedness of Provocraft bullying small third party software companies. Yes they had a right to protect what they felt was theirs but it left a very bad taste in the mouths of many of their NOW FORMER customers and more ethical companies like the makes of the Silhouette Cameo thrived. I just hope the creator of this great tool isn't cutting off her nose to spite her face. She may be right but it is being handled all wrong from a PR perspective and that will hurt her business far more than anything else. When the general public gets to a mob mentality the unrest spreads really, really far, really, really quickly. A bad reputation, whether deserved or not, is hard to overcome unless you're in politics :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #1288  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshwynessView Post
But, there is a tool, that is very similar, that was around before the MIsTI. It's called the Stampressive, and it looks like it was available only in the UK.

So, if I understand the patent, this person is in the UK, so she's protected from patent law?
Interesting - This tool is the same principal including the ability to re-stamp an incomplete image . The video was made in Feb 2013 .

They must have a different type of acrylic in the UK. I watched the video and she used Staz-On cleaner on the acrylic with no problem. We can only use Novus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #1289  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Interesting - This tool is the same principal including the ability to re-stamp an incomplete image . The video was made in Feb 2013 .

They must have a different type of acrylic in the UK. I watched the video and she used Staz-On cleaner on the acrylic with no problem. We can only use Novus.
It certainly would be interesting if the British inventor of this tool had applied for a U.S. Patent when they developed the tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #1290  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkippetView Post
It certainly would be interesting if the British inventor of this tool had applied for a U.S. Patent when they developed the tool.
I wonder if a patent in one country also applies Internationally. I don't think actually getting a patent is that easy. You have to prove nothing like it exists or no one has ever used you method .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #1291  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I wonder if a patent in one country also applies Internationally. I don't think actually getting a patent is that easy. You have to prove nothing like it exists or no one has ever used you method .
I am also curious about the patent process. Should be interesting as things unfold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #1292  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
It's all being handled poorly in my opinion. It reeks of the heavy-handedness of Provocraft bullying small third party software companies. Yes they had a right to protect what they felt was theirs but it left a very bad taste in the mouths of many of their NOW FORMER customers and more ethical companies like the makes of the Silhouette Cameo thrived. I just hope the creator of this great tool isn't cutting off her nose to spite her face. She may be right but it is being handled all wrong from a PR perspective and that will hurt her business far more than anything else. When the general public gets to a mob mentality the unrest spreads really, really far, really, really quickly. A bad reputation, whether deserved or not, is hard to overcome unless you're in politics :-)
Just a reminder - our site posting rules prohibit making a member the subject of a negative post. You can read our rules here: Splitcoaststampers Site Posting Rules

Feel free to discuss tools, products, topics but not individuals, etc.

This is our most important site rule. Please review it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 AM   #1293  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Just a reminder - our site posting rules prohibit making a member the subject of a negative post. You can read our rules here: Splitcoaststampers Site Posting Rules

Feel free to discuss tools, products, topics but not individuals, etc.

This is our most important site rule. Please review it.
My post is more out of concern than negativity. I meant no disrespect to Iliana or for it to be a dig in any way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 AM   #1294  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Years ago when I first starting noticing cracks in my acrylic blocks I did research as was told by several companies that they had never heard of StazOn Cleaner or harsh cleaners affecting acrylic, including Tsueniko who makes StazOn Cleaner. So then I research acrylic and found that every single acrylic manufacture said the same thing - no harsh cleaners. I may be wrong, but I think that all acrylic properties are pretty similar and the harsh chemicals are bad. My point is that you cannot trust that all companies have the facts. If I believed the block makers and Tsueniko, all my blocks would have cracks and a dull finish by now.

IMHO - Novus is a waste of money. All it did for me was polish - not really clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #1295  

Alcohol is terrible for them too - which I found out by cleaning all my blocks regularly with alcohol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #1296  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

oooh I have one clear block that is all you know its not cracked has no rough edges but the interior of the block is like crackled effect and I have a hard time seeing through it. I keep meaning to check and see if there is a similar sized one in the SU book but? I have just been using the Misti more and more so, let it go. ( that thought )

I am still sitting on the unmounting from the wood fence though :mrgreen: ( and buying more and more clings and clears haha)

but the cleaner I have in my scrub is ultra clean.
and I also have some of the SU cleaner but, I only use it for dye inks.
so? I have no clue about that one lone block. ( all the other blocks are fine) I don't use stayzon very rarely and I don't know if I have ever used it on a cling stamp that would have been on that block. so, I am thinking there are different grades of acrylic and how well they hold up?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #1297  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I first starting stamping back in 2005, I only used stazon ink and cleaner. I did not know of any other black ink besides SU. Well SU black ink was purple compared to stazon black ink. So I only used stazon ink.

I have one acrylic block, that is all cracked inside-crazed and looks hazy. I keep this block to remind me never to use stazon cleaner unless I need to use stazon ink. I still have ink and cleaner stashed away, but have not used them in years.

I only used SU stamp cleaner, until I realized I used so much, it was getting very expensive.

I now use Simple Green with a mix of water. A one to four mix. Much more affordable and goes a very long way.

I never used alcohol to clean my blocks. Just stazon cleaner.

I really don't think the acrylic manufacturers did sufficient research before producing these blocks for stampers. To inform us of the proper care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #1298  
Forum Fanatic

Glad you are having good results with Simple Green but it does have alcohol in it.

I use Zest-It but I don't know what I'll do when I run out because the US supplier stopped carrying it and the shipping from the UK is more than the product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #1299  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Glad you are having good results with Simple Green but it does have alcohol in it.

I use Zest-It but I don't know what I'll do when I run out because the US supplier stopped carrying it and the shipping from the UK is more than the product.
4% alcohol in the bottle, when I use one ounce to one cup of water dilution is very minimal to me. I don't use it full strength, I don't soak my stamps in it.

I spray my scrubby pad, rub my stamp on the scrubby and blot on a paper towel.

I have done this for at least 4 years. No harm has come to my stamps what so ever.

I know I stated in above post that I use a 1:4 solution, I was wrong. I use one ounce simple green for one cup of water.

Personally I would rather use Simple Green than Stazon to clean my stamps. I cant' ever find what ingredients are in Stazon cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #1300  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have one block that has two different types of "damage".

One is some of what I call pitting. The surface has remained perfectly clear but it looks and feels bumpy. It is the exact shape as a stamp I had that I had left on the block for an extended time. It had Tack It Over & Over on it. I lay the blame on the glue, because of the shape of that area.

The other is some splotchy areas that are perfectly smooth but are "frosty" and I can't see thru them. I suspect that some chemical of some sort got on there and didn't get washed off very well.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #1301  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

The other is some splotchy areas that are perfectly smooth but are "frosty" and I can't see thru them. I suspect that some chemical of some sort got on there and didn't get washed off very well.
In appropriate cleaners are the cause of fogging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #1302  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

Does anyone know if Misti is still screen printed or are the lines now Laser etched ? ( I wreck things and am afraid I will accidently mess up the lines) I thought I saw somewhere the lines are now laser Etched. Thanks!!!
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #1303  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Does anyone know if Misti is still screen printed or are the lines now Laser etched ? ( I wreck things and am afraid I will accidently mess up the lines) I thought I saw somewhere the lines are now laser Etched. Thanks!!!
Bev
lines were etched, now they are screen printed. That is why a protective sheet is included with new purchases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #1304  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Yes, I was just going to say the same thing. I just got mine in the mail. I ordered it on April 17th and it arrived yesterday but I wasn't home at the time. So I just picked it up today. It came with the protective sheet.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #1305  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
Bev
You'll need to apply the cling vinyl that was included to the outside of the lid to protect the screen printing - the new ones are not laser etched.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #1306  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

One question before I get using the Misti......I have put the Tombow mono multi glue (the white and green bottle glue on several of my clear Stampin Up stamp sets. Is that going to wreck the misti lid?

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #1307  
Glitter Queen

Hi Shirl
I believe that the Printing is on top. so should not be a big problem
You should be able to tell by your acrylic blocks (if they are damaged)
Iliana has recommended a cleaner but this only a recommendation. I can't find that particular brand here in Oz so I have managed with non alcoholic baby wipes with no problems.
I was the worlds most useless stamper until a purchased the MISTI. It really is a great product and I don't stamp without it now, even if I am stamping just one little sentiment for a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #1308  

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
One question before I get using the Misti......I have put the Tombow mono multi glue (the white and green bottle glue on several of my clear Stampin Up stamp sets. Is that going to wreck the misti lid?

Shirl
Just keep your MISTI clean of residue. Should be okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #1309  
Polyshrink Goddess

so i had seen somewhere that people were using a brayer lightly on the misti to get even coverage of the stamping. i bought a brayer and it does give better pressure than just using my hand.

i bought a brayer from amazon. this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Delu...eywords=brayer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #1310  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Finally a use for my brayers! lol. Those things have been sitting around unused for years.
:lol::lol: I tried the roller-brayer idea after I saw it used on the Stampressive video too !

I have a rubber brayer and wallpaper seam roller that both work great to get even pressure on the stamp lid

Stampressive has another video that I watched but all they show is how to put the stamp down on the paper and then pick it up with the lid which we have already seen

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 05-01-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #1311  
Matboard Maniac

Hello Crafter 4 life,
I learned a very clever trick from Darlene de Vries on how to prevent the SU stamps from falling off the acrylic blocks. It has solved the problem for me for life! You just rub a little bit of Tombo SU glue on the top of the stamp, let it dry (a very small amount of glue will do the trick, just spread it around the stamp). It will always stick to the block firmly! Hope you try it!
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #1312  
Inking Addict

What is the shipping cost to Canada?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #1313  
Pearl-ExPert

Anita,

Thank you. I'll try the Tombow. I tried Aieene's but wasn't happy with that route. Like SU images and the rubber is deeply etched but )/$;&)@)@&/) hate when it fall off the MISTI lid/acrylic block.awhen I get a new set, I cut out portions of the sticker and trim away the sticker close to the image and this helps. Trying to do this the older sets that I put the sticker on is a gummy mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #1314  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm impatiently awaiting my family giving me my birthday present as I saw the return address on the box before they hid it......can't wait to try out my MISTI! Guess I dropped enough hints!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #1315  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I'm impatiently awaiting my family giving me my birthday present as I saw the return address on the box before they hid it......can't wait to try out my MISTI! Guess I dropped enough hints!
I hope you are good at acting surprised!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #1316  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshwynessView Post

This is similar to what I made using a dvd case (w/o hub) folded backwards. It works just fine and was free.
If I purchase a stamp positioning tool, I'd go with Fiskars tool with the grid. I've seen it used in a lot of videos.
Years ago, I created a stamper's journal for tracking one's inventory of inks, markers, watercolors, re-inkers, etc... it is copyrighted and on file with the Library of Congress. Several others have created inventory books since then and I'm not tripping. I had an idea, ran with it, and moved on... We create, re-vamp and re-invent to suit our needs...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #1317  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Anita,

Thank you. I'll try the Tombow. I tried Aieene's but wasn't happy with that route. Like SU images and the rubber is deeply etched but )/$;&)@)@&/) hate when it fall off the MISTI lid/acrylic block.awhen I get a new set, I cut out portions of the sticker and trim away the sticker close to the image and this helps. Trying to do this the older sets that I put the sticker on is a gummy mess.

The stickers just don't work for me - although they might work if you tried the vinyl sheet on the inside of the MISTI lid like some people have tried.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #1318  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
When I first starting stamping back in 2005, I only used stazon ink and cleaner. I did not know of any other black ink besides SU. Well SU black ink was purple compared to stazon black ink. So I only used stazon ink.

I have one acrylic block, that is all cracked inside-crazed and looks hazy. I keep this block to remind me never to use stazon cleaner unless I need to use stazon ink. I still have ink and cleaner stashed away, but have not used them in years.

I only used SU stamp cleaner, until I realized I used so much, it was getting very expensive.

I now use Simple Green with a mix of water. A one to four mix. Much more affordable and goes a very long way.

I never used alcohol to clean my blocks. Just stazon cleaner.

I really don't think the acrylic manufacturers did sufficient research before producing these blocks for stampers. To inform us of the proper care.
I have had success with antibacterial gel for the hands. I apply a bit to a baby wipe and clean my acrylic blocks. For my cling clear stamps, I use baby wash mixed with a touch of glycerin in a spray bottle and good ole baby wipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #1319  

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I have had success with antibacterial gel for the hands. I apply a bit to a baby wipe and clean my acrylic blocks. For my cling clear stamps, I use baby wash mixed with a touch of glycerin in a spray bottle and good ole baby wipes.

Alcohol + acrylic don't mix - most hand sanitizer contains alcohol - be careful! You will eventually see crazing/cracking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #1320  
Inking Addict

Last weekend I read this entire thread. On Sunday, May 3 I ordered the MISTI. The following day I received a notice that mine would ship in five days. I kept watching for the shipping notice. Today, May 6, I walked out to get my mail and there on my front porch was my MISTI. I know my mouth must have dropped open! What a great surprise! Ordered Sunday, received on Wednesday. Can't wait to use it!
Reply With Quote Likes