Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2015, 05:59 AM   #961  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but the issue of acrylic cleaning (i.e. stamp block cleaning) is not new. Here on SCS are several discussions about it. I learned my lesson years ago because I didn't know any difference. I used StazOn Cleaner, Windex, or 409 to clean my stamp blocks and ruined several. I keep one on hand just so I can show what can happened (see pic below). The cracks at the top of the block were caused by my cleaners. I actually had a couple of blocks break when the cracks wore through. Now, I just use non-alcohol baby wipes, homemade stamp cleaner and have not seen anymore cracks.

I used to see the same kind of cracks in our acrylic glasses & serving dished we used for the pool because I put them in the dishwasher. Now all my acrylic pool serving dishes are hand washed and no more cracks.
Thank you for sharing.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #962  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have a MISTI yet (been following this discussion, trying to decide) but The Frugal Crafter makes her own stamp cleaner with Simple Green and water. It is supposed to be a gentle cleaner with no alcohol or harsh chemicals. Would something like that work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #963  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
I don't have a MISTI yet (been following this discussion, trying to decide) but The Frugal Crafter makes her own stamp cleaner with Simple Green and water. It is supposed to be a gentle cleaner with no alcohol or harsh chemicals. Would something like that work?
I contacted the MISTI Facebook page and asked this question. I was told to use Simple Green at my own risk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #964  
Stazon Splitcoast

i've tried the Novus and it did not clean. I wonder if I waited too long and my stains sort of set. I do not care a huge amount if this isn't too clean because it doesn't interefere with using it, but would love to get it clean.

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #965  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I don't think it's difficult Barbara - my car seats require a special cleaner (can't use armor all etc) - the finish on my dining room table requires a special cleaner, my silver jewelry does - etc. some cleaners just aren't chemically appropriate with some surfaces. I cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol until I started to see cracks in my blocks (I'm on my phone right now but I'll add a picture.)

Everything I buy comes with care and cleaning instructions.

joan what kind of ink?
Attached Thumbnails
MISTI most incredible stamp tool invented-img_0769.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #966  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have 2 solutions.. Either I wont clean my Misti or I wont use it.. hahahah Im teasin of course.. Im using alcohol free baby wipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #967  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I did not get ink on the Misti

Whoa - you must be a very neat stamper! LOL - I get ink everywhere....

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 AM   #968  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
i've tried the Novus and it did not clean. I wonder if I waited too long and my stains sort of set. I do not care a huge amount if this isn't too clean because it doesn't interefere with using it, but would love to get it clean.

any ideas?
The Novus only cleaned light ink stains but didn't remove set in ink or glue.

Disclaimer - just because I'm doing this I'm not going to take any responsibility for ill effects but so far I haven't seen any cracks in my blocks. I didn't want to mention this because if someone has a problem I'd feel awful, but if you're brave, try Zest It pencil blend. I use it for the Gamsol technique and I clean my blocks, scissors, bone folder, desk top, self-healing mat and other things that get gunk and ink. It's a natural product and smells nice. I put in on a towel, rub off the gunk and then follow up twice with stamp cleaner. Zest It is oily so I make sure I get it completely off the item.

Zest It is a little pricey but it goes a long way. I particularly love the sponge jar for the Gamsol technique. A couple of years ago I bought the sponge jar and 500ml bottle and I'm just now needing to buy another refill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #969  
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks. I've used every kind of ink, except Staz On with the MISTI, including Ranger Archival, which I cannot get off. I suspect that if I used rubbing alcohol I'd get it out but I'd rather just leave it alone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #970  
Stazon Splitcoast

FYI for those who want to use a skin of some sort on the inside of the lid to hold their stamps without using an adhesive ... if the stamp has it's image on clear plastic so you can get an idea of where the image will fall ... SOME of those stamps leave part of the image in the skin. So far it isn't interfering with what I'm wanting to do/see and eventually, I'll just replace the skin, but it was a surprise the first time it happened (not all of them do this).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #971  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
FYI for those who want to use a skin of some sort on the inside of the lid to hold their stamps without using an adhesive ... if the stamp has it's image on clear plastic so you can get an idea of where the image will fall ... SOME of those stamps leave part of the image in the skin. So far it isn't interfering with what I'm wanting to do/see and eventually, I'll just replace the skin, but it was a surprise the first time it happened (not all of them do this).
I was just wondering about this. I used a stamp today that is just the rubber as it had just arrived and I was eager to use. To get it to stay on the Misti I used a little reposition tape on the stamp (though it was hard to get any to stay on the stamp, usually I place of the block if I want to do this). It certainly held the stamp in place and stamped PERFECTLY but then of course I had to get the sticky substance off the Misti. I used a wet one (alcohol free) then dryer and finished with paper towel.

You mention a skin I was wondering what it is. I assume you leave it on all the time? Thank you in advance for your response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 PM   #972  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I too, wondered what a skin was. I am guessing maybe some clear vinyl that you can buy off the roll at Walmart. It clings to the plastic. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I was guessing skin was.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #973  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailhelenView Post
I was just wondering about this. I used a stamp today that is just the rubber as it had just arrived and I was eager to use. To get it to stay on the Misti I used a little reposition tape on the stamp (though it was hard to get any to stay on the stamp, usually I place of the block if I want to do this). It certainly held the stamp in place and stamped PERFECTLY but then of course I had to get the sticky substance off the Misti. I used a wet one (alcohol free) then dryer and finished with paper towel.

You mention a skin I was wondering what it is. I assume you leave it on all the time? Thank you in advance for your response.
I had the same experience as you in getting the sticky off the MISTI. Yuck! I took the skin that came with the MISTI to cover the grid on the outside of the lid and put it on the inside. I figured I won't be scrubbing the outside of the lid, so the grid should be fine for a very long time. (and of course, today I got a bit of tombo multi adhesive smeared on the outside, and again, what a PITA to clean something sticky off the lid, and trying to be careful of the grid on top of that. Yiyo! LOL! I may pick up an extra skin for the outside after all, but for now, I prefer using it on the inside.) I take it off when I have stamps that have enough of their own cling. Also, haven't used my MISTI for anything Versamark yet, and have a feeling the skin may not have enough grip or at least the cardstock will need to be removed more carefully from the stamp when Versamark is used.

There's also the Tack'NPeel reusable cling sheet, and they come in 4" x 6.5" sheets, so that might be another option. It's stickier but also removable. For the moment, I'm liking the vinyl skin.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 03-06-2015 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #974  
Forum Fanatic

I used 2 different "skins". When I first got my MISTI I bought a piece of clear shower curtain material at JoAnns that I lightlymisted and stuck it down over the bottom grid of the MISTI. I used my hands to smooth it out and remove any excess water. It's been in place since August.

Today, I used the sticky side of a self-adhering laminating sheet. I cut it down to fit the inside of the cover and stuck it down. Because of the glue on the sheet, it's not perfectly clear but it's easy to see through. I'm hoping this will keep the glue and ink off the cover. So far it's great but the one thing to note that if I ever want to take it off there is going to be glue on the MISTI cover.

The great thing about either solution is that the shower curtain plastic is really cheap by the yard. I think I spent under a $1 and I already had the self-laminating sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #975  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, Kathy, vinyl skin. sorry. should'a been more clear. It has a nice cling and grab quality to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #976  
Mad Swapper

I am going to try usiing a piece of the Perfectly Place Guides that SU used to sell. I bought an extra package before the retired. I'm hoping that will work for the inside if I happen to have a stamp that won't stick well. I don't get my MISTI until next week.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #977  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hope Iliana isn't having a heart attack over how we're modifying her great invention. and obviously, if we're using it in a way that compromises it in some way, we're taking on that risk ourselves, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #978  
Mad Swapper

I wouldn't think putting a piece of cling vinyl onto the inside MISTI cover would do anything to jeopardize the warranty. It wouldn't need to be used for all stamps - just those that may have problems sticking like the ones people are unmounting from the wood. At least any glue residue from a bare rubber stamp would go onto a piece of cling vinyl that can be replaced for pennies vs ruining the cover of your MISTI. Just a thought that may help

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 04:06 PM   #979  
Crimping Master

Quote:

thanks. I've used every kind of ink, except Staz On with the MISTI, including Ranger Archival, which I cannot get off. I suspect that if I used rubbing alcohol I'd get it out but I'd rather just leave it alone
That kinda makes sense that it won't come off since it's a permanent ink. I imagine Stazon may do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #980  

Quote:

any ideas?
This is just a thought. Have you ever seen permanent marker on a dry erase board? The way to get it off is to scribble over it with a dry erase marker.

Let us know if it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #981  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I had the same experience as you in getting the sticky off the MISTI. Yuck! I took the skin that came with the MISTI to cover the grid on the outside of the lid and put it on the inside. I figured I won't be scrubbing the outside of the lid, so the grid should be fine for a very long time. (and of course, today I got a bit of tombo multi adhesive smeared on the outside, and again, what a PITA to clean something sticky off the lid, and trying to be careful of the grid on top of that. Yiyo! LOL! I may pick up an extra skin for the outside after all, but for now, I prefer using it on the inside.) I take it off when I have stamps that have enough of their own cling. Also, haven't used my MISTI for anything Versamark yet, and have a feeling the skin may not have enough grip or at least the cardstock will need to be removed more carefully from the stamp when Versamark is used.

There's also the Tack'NPeel reusable cling sheet, and they come in 4" x 6.5" sheets, so that might be another option. It's stickier but also removable. For the moment, I'm liking the vinyl skin.
This is what I order in mass quantities to supply them. I hope I am not breaking the rules by linking. Sorry Lydia....

http://www.amazon.com/Grafix-9-Inch-...+vinynil+cling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #982  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay now I finally "get it" so, that is what the baby wipes are for... clean the stamps and leave them there and if a few smears hit the acrylic its OK just clean the Misti after with the novus then? ( and I am assuming you have to leave it open flat till it dries or something then too right? or does it dry pretty quick?) I have been fighting a cold all week and this is the first day I have had more than 3 brain cells working after work
(which means I am getting inky as soon as its daylight again)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #983  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Okay now I finally "get it" so, that is what the baby wipes are for... clean the stamps and leave them there and if a few smears hit the acrylic its OK just clean the Misti after with the novus then? ( and I am assuming you have to leave it open flat till it dries or something then too right? or does it dry pretty quick?) I have been fighting a cold all week and this is the first day I have had more than 3 brain cells working after work
I have one of the original etched MISTI's and I usually just clean the stamp with an alcohol free baby wipe and also pick up and ink smears ASAP. When I am done using the MISTI or if there is quite a bit of ink smeared I clean with with the NOVUS.

I am not brave enough to risk using any other cleaner and I only use clear or cling mount stamps... no Tack N' Peel or other products. I actually prefer clear stamps and that is all I buy except for background stamps.

Have fun getting inky!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #984  

Quote:

I just dry it off and close it - one of those microfiber towels is great for getting it dry. I dare not leave it open or it will be occupied by one of the feline overlords

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #985  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I stamped an unmounted rubber stamp dozens of times in a row and all I used was a Bostik glue stick rubbed over the smooth back of the rubber. You can stamp, then lift the rubber up and move it, place it down again and keep on stamping.

When I finished, I wiped the lid with an alcohol free baby wipe, then cleaned the stamp. I have used MISTI more than 500 times, I have only ever wiped it with a baby wipe. As soon as I notice ink on the lid, I wipe it off. The bottle of cleaner is still sitting in the box.

Elmars school glue stick would give the same result, there is no need to waste time or money on tape adhesives.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #986  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Thanks for the link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlianaMyskaView Post
This is what I order in mass quantities to supply them. I hope I am not breaking the rules by linking. Sorry Lydia....

Amazon.com: Grafix 9-Inch-by-12-Inch Cling Film Clear, 6-Pack
I just ordered a couple packages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #987  

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlianaMyskaView Post
This is just a thought. Have you ever seen permanent marker on a dry erase board? The way to get it off is to scribble over it with a dry erase marker.

Let us know if it works.
Dying to know if this works.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #988  
Pearl-ExPert

Can the Close to My Heart acrylic cleaner be used on the MISTI without harming the it? CTMH only sells clear/polymer stamps that you stick to acrylic blocks to use. (How 'old school'!)

I also thought I read, awhile back, that the Ranger Water Based Cleaner was okay to use on the MISTI. Is this correct?

I looked for the Novus cleaner at my nearby Home Depot and they didn't have it or any acrylic/plastic cleaner. They didn't have the magnets either. The closest Container Store is probably 20+ miles away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 PM   #989  
Matboard Maniac

@Crafter 4 Life, you might try doing a simple Google search for "Novus cleaner 1", select shopping and then check Available nearby. That's how I found it at The Container Store.

Also, that product is generally sold in automotive sections in other stores, so try checking that way if you only want to purchase locally.

Not sure why you didn't find magnets at Home Depot - did you ask? I had to ask for them and found plenty of choices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 04:52 AM   #990  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Can the Close to My Heart acrylic cleaner be used on the MISTI without harming the it? CTMH only sells clear/polymer stamps that you stick to acrylic blocks to use. (How 'old school'!)

I also thought I read, awhile back, that the Ranger Water Based Cleaner was okay to use on the MISTI. Is this correct?

I looked for the Novus cleaner at my nearby Home Depot and they didn't have it or any acrylic/plastic cleaner. They didn't have the magnets either. The closest Container Store is probably 20+ miles away.
I had to grin a bit at the 20 miles away part, since I live in a rural area, and the closest Home Depot or Walmart is 85 miles away.. That said, when I was looking for the Novus cleaner, I did see it on Walmart.com, and I think they could ship it to a store for free, if Walmart is closer. I ended up getting the cleaner and magnets through Amazon, and I wish I knew about the gridded quilting templates then so I could have bundled them in at that time. It is up to you, but I would stick with baby wipes and the Novus, since that is our beloved manufacturer's recommendation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 06:19 AM   #991  
Crimping Master

My MISTI was purchased exactly one week prior to there being a warranty. I know it is a product that will not be replaced and so I am going to treat mine like it is a China doll. I saw a video yesterday where the woman appeared to be pressing really hard on the cover as she stamped. I gasped and eventually had to stop watching as I was worried her cover was going to snap. It got me wondering how hard you all press on the cover?

I have not had time to play with mine, yet, but I purchased a pack of vinyl cling and when it arrives I plan to use it on both the inside and outside of the cover. Hopefully that will work well with my unmounted stamps and keep the cover clean at the same time. I am a former TackNPeel user so I am really hoping this will be a good compromise for me. It is nice to see that some of you are already doing this with good results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #992  
Glitter Queen

I had a wonderful note today. A very kind, generous, loving person on splitcoaststamper contacted Sweetpetunia and asked to buy me a misti to replace mine that had broken.

What an incredible random act of kindness!!!! I have never had some one who does not even know me except from this forum offer to do something this awesome and selfless.

I am also disabled and on a fixed income. I was waiting to see if March would find me in a position to replace my misti. I asked iliani to send me an invoice to do that. But I want to thank my secret angel for the offer to replace my misti for me! It really brought me I a lot of happiness. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #993  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my MISTI since the end of feb. I know my order # was 4020.still haven't touched.
how do I check if it's has a warranty?
my head is spinning reading all these threads and FB.
I'm scared to touch it and play......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #994  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had my MISTI since Sept and have used it! I take care while using it. I don't know if there was a 'freak' weakness with KAT 123's MISTI that broke but I know I would be sad when if mine broke. As others have said, it is a pricey tool but one I am VERY glad I bought. (KAT 123 - as has been said many times before, there are so many wonderful, generous people that frequent this site and you are a lucky recipient of a RAK.)

To those who are now 'afraid' to use their MISTI - use it and enjoy. There are many generous crafters who have used theirs and shared tips and tricks they have learned by using their MISTI. Jennifer McGuire, Sandy Allnock and Amy Rysavy, Shari Carroll, Maureen Wong and other crafters, whose blogs I follow, have a MISTI so I look forward to learning from them as I have from the crafters on this site.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 03-07-2015 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #995  
Insane Embellisher

People talk a lot about how pricey the MISTI is, and I agree $50 is a bit of money. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, just saying in the overall costs of paper crafting this isn't overly excessive. I think about other tools I've bought, I have punches, dies, a Crop-a-Dile, and a Tonic paper cutter, they were all expensive. Not to mention my Big Shot, and most expensive of all, my ScanNCut. I think I would use the MISTI as much as any and more than most of those.

I haven't ordered my MISTI yet, my budget has been tied up with the SU Occasions catalog and SAB, but I plan to order one the beginning of April and am really looking forward to getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #996  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat123View Post
I had a wonderful note today. A very kind, generous, loving person on splitcoaststamper contacted Sweetpetunia and asked to buy me a misti to replace mine that had broken.
I am very impressed by this generous and awesom person, wow! And I'm very happy for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #997  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i missed the post about the RAK to Kat123. WOW~
as for putting my MISTI to use. i will in the next few days.
i started a board on pinterest just for the MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #998  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
i started a board on pinterest just for the MISTI.
I started a Pinterest board for just MISTI video tutorials.
https://www.pinterest.com/fionna51/crafty-toolsmisti/
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #999  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat123View Post

What an incredible random act of kindness!!!! I have never had some one who does not even know me except from this forum offer to do something this awesome and selfless.

I am also disabled and on a fixed income. I was waiting to see if March would find me in a position to replace my misti. I asked iliani to send me an invoice to do that. But I want to thank my secret angel for the offer to replace my misti for me! It really brought me I a lot of happiness. Thank you!
People are awesome.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2015, 07:37 PM   #1000  

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I started a Pinterest board for just MISTI video tutorials.
https://www.pinterest.com/fionna51/crafty-toolsmisti/
Wow. There's some cool stuff there - thanks!

That one with the books was one of the ones that tipped the "need" scale for me.

Love Splitcoast?

Reply With Quote Likes