Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell me about paper

I'm easing back into stamping and have read a lot here about different paper weights etc. I have no idea what any of mine is, unless it's still in the stacks. Most of the time I use already made note cards that you buy in packs with matching envelopes... I either stamp directly on them or use other paper to layer them up. I do know I have a stack of large card stock.. the pad is probably almost 8x10.. maybe a little less. But it's all different colors.. but it's nice. Heavy and has a bit of texture on one side of it.

I'm experimenting a bit with markers, different types, blending, that kind of thing.. and also with colored pencils.. and blending with something... I tried baby oil, well, baby oil gel, as that's all I had, tonight.. but I don't know as it really did all that much. Mine didn't look like the tutorial I watched on youtube. :( *shrugs*

How important is different papers?
{Jeremiah 29:11}
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 04:36 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it can be very important, depending on what you want to achieve/ what technique you are using.
The same technique can have very different results, depending on your base card/paper stock. It can often be a case of try it out and see what happens.
For instance,most things- like Brusho's etc- involving water generally will work better on watercolour paper, or mixed media paper.
Distress Ink techniques which involve water spritzing will work on standard card stock.
I will leave recommendations about brands to my American friends, as I'm not knowledgeable about what is available/best to use over there. I'm just giving general advice.
Weight of cardstock is important when making your own card bases. You don't want it so flimsy that it either will not stand up, or it falls over because the front is too heavy.
Smooth cardstock for stamping will give you the best results image wise. If it's too textured, your image won't be clear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think paper is very important, but there are 2 approaches to consider.

The first, and most basic, is the weight. For a card base, I think a heavy weight is best, often the heavier the better (100# - 110#). My opinion is that it just feels like a better, classier, higher quality card; whereas the lighter weight feel cheap, flimsy. Again, personally, I don't want to put a lot of effort into a card just to end up with something that feels flimsy and cheap b/c I skimped on the card base paper. And, I hope I don't step on your toes when I say that goes for most of the "ready-made" cards bases I've seen, just my opinion and perhaps you're using something nicer than what I've encountered.

The second consideration for paper quality is in techniques. All papers can't be used (successfully) for all techniques. For instance, watercolor paper has a texture and that can be hard to get a good, solid stamped image on. Another is ink blending. When I first tried to ink blend, I tried it on the cheap stuff I get from Michael's. And, I tried, and I tried. Every attempt failed; it looked splotchy and awful. So I broke down and got some of the recommended paper - oh, what a difference! I was thinking it was me, but it was the paper. Copics (alcohol markers) are the same, at least to some degree.

There are LOTS of good paper mfgs out there. So many stamp companies have their own paper line, and most are quite good. But you didn't ask for recommendations, so I'll stop there.

Most of us want to cut corners where we can, and paper can be tempting, but I've found that if I'm going to do it, it pays in the final results to do it right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I use 110 # paper because I like the weight and feel.Like the above poster states I agree it is not flimsy and has nicer look and feel, especially if it is a one layer.

I will use a lighter weight paper if I am layering over a good base. Flimsy wight cards will not stand a nicely when opened, its like they have a " weak spine" lol.

As mentioned some will bleed when using some mediums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there a brand or name on your paper pad? Is the texture something like fabric, I mean, as if it looks like a weave? If so, that is difficult to stamp on.
Not knowing where you shop, or if it's online: Stampin Up cardstock is 80# and 'just OK' for card bases, not as heavy as I like. But I add decorative papers/cardstock over that on the fronts, and another panel inside, so it's strong enough.
I buy 110# white, cream and black at Michaels, or Hobby Lobby and always find myself layering over that.
Many SCSers like Neenah Solar White COVER weight, but it costs more, so I save that for panels to stamp on.
If you want to water color, you need watercolor paper OR Mixed Media paper, which does not have the texture of watercolor paper. I buy Strathmore brand at Michaels when it's on special. It's in the art section.
When I began I made the mistake of buying lots of color cardstock in packs at Michaels, because of the wide variety of colors, but it's only 65# and too weak for bases. Only good for layering, and because many colors are strong, I have to tone them down by using white ink on the exposed part.
MANY companies have their own brands of great cardstock, but I have not tried Papertrey or Gina K to recommend anything. I do like My Favorite Things, but some colors are too intense for my style. I like their inks, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I've got so much to research and learn.. wow. I must admit, I'm feeling a little intimidated. lol Thank you all for the response! I'm learning so much from all of you.

shaz, I definitely want to try my hand at watercoloring. Someday. The tutorials make it look SO easy. We'll see.

Binx, thanks for the input. No, don't ever worry about stepping on my toes. ;) I kind of figured as much.. but, in my defense, I very rarely use them as stand alone cards. I always layer either patterned paper or do shapes from my die cutter.

Canada goose, I've never had any trouble with them being flimsy. Although, if I get my hands on some GOOD paper, I may totally change my mind.

harvestmoon, I did look at that stack of cardstock last night.. I think it just said Premium card stock.. and I believe it was 80#.. lol So not really all that premium. And I think it says the texture is like canvas...?? I can't be sure on that without going and looking at it again. But it is kind of nice. One side is textured, the back is smooth. I've not used it much, as it is in all different colors. Maybe I'll try playing with it.

I typically shop at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's or Pat Catan's. Who knows where I got that paper. lol

I'd like to learn how to do borders on cards.. Do I need a die to do it? It seems like it would have the potential to look kind of rough if I just cut it out. I also use a lot of scrapbook paper when I make my cards. Usually I start out with one of the premade card bases, then once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll add the patterned scrapbook paper to the front and then typically build my layers from there. I only have one set of Spellbinder Nestabilities dies, which I probably tend to over use. I need to get some more shapes and designs. It's such a process trying to acquire things you want, isn't it?

I'm kind of leery of ordering papers online... especially now, knowing a little more.

Also, I keep seeing 'DP' used in the forums.. (I hate all these acronyms) What is DP? I know I saw a list of acronyms somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can help with the acronyms list. It's in the Start Here forum. DP stands for designer paper (patterned).

What do all those acronyms mean? HELP? by parisotremba at Splitcoaststampers

And about making borders for your cards. There are lots of fancy border dies available. If you just want straight borders for your cards, I would recommend getting a set of nesting rectangle dies. Then you can adjust the size of your borders.

I find lots of good deals on dies on Amazon from many different companies.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you Bugga! That is the list I saw! lol And couldn't find. So, DP, is designer paper.. but basically just means any patterned paper?

Yessss! There are many die sets I want, but they are expensive. I have huge wish lists all over the place... scrapbook.com is probably my biggest... hahaha. Lots of fun stuff there.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamsInPinkView Post
Thank you Bugga! That is the list I saw! lol And couldn't find. So, DP, is designer paper.. but basically just means any patterned paper?

Yessss! There are many die sets I want, but they are expensive. I have huge wish lists all over the place... scrapbook.com is probably my biggest... hahaha. Lots of fun stuff there.
Yes, basically patterned paper!

I'm glad you're getting back into stamping and cardmaking. I can feel your enthusiasm! Just remember, you don't have to have everything at once. You can make cards with what you have, and add to your stash as you go along.

When I started making cards in 2006, I had no idea what I was doing, and very few supplies, but I knew I enjoyed it. I still do!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I know I don't have to have everything all at once, but I WANT everything all at once. lol xD But you are very right.. I need to stop shopping and wanting and be happy with what I have. Because I do have a lot.. at least to me... but seeing some of the tutorials on youtube... WOW! I couldn't even imagine having HALF the stuff a lot of them have.

Thank you for being so kind and patient with me.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Tell me about paper

Quote:

Well, I've got so much to research and learn.. wow. I must admit, I'm feeling a little intimidated. lol Thank you all for the response! I'm learning so much from all of you.

shaz, I definitely want to try my hand at watercoloring. Someday. The tutorials make it look SO easy. We'll see.

Binx, thanks for the input. No, don't ever worry about stepping on my toes. ;) I kind of figured as much.. but, in my defense, I very rarely use them as stand alone cards. I always layer either patterned paper or do shapes from my die cutter.

Canada goose, I've never had any trouble with them being flimsy. Although, if I get my hands on some GOOD paper, I may totally change my mind.

harvestmoon, I did look at that stack of cardstock last night.. I think it just said Premium card stock.. and I believe it was 80#.. lol So not really all that premium. And I think it says the texture is like canvas...?? I can't be sure on that without going and looking at it again. But it is kind of nice. One side is textured, the back is smooth. I've not used it much, as it is in all different colors. Maybe I'll try playing with it.

I typically shop at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joann's or Pat Catan's. Who knows where I got that paper. lol

I'd like to learn how to do borders on cards.. Do I need a die to do it? It seems like it would have the potential to look kind of rough if I just cut it out. I also use a lot of scrapbook paper when I make my cards. Usually I start out with one of the premade card bases, then once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll add the patterned scrapbook paper to the front and then typically build my layers from there. I only have one set of Spellbinder Nestabilities dies, which I probably tend to over use. I need to get some more shapes and designs. It's such a process trying to acquire things you want, isn't it?

I'm kind of leery of ordering papers online... especially now, knowing a little more.

Also, I keep seeing 'DP' used in the forums.. (I hate all these acronyms) What is DP? I know I saw a list of acronyms somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again.
Lol. Trust me, if you had several papers to feel you will definitely feel the difference. To put it simply paper is made like sheets...you know all about thread count and the higher the count etc. that is the simple version as I forgot the technical interpretation. In otherworlds, you could have three 110# papers and each one will feel different. My ladies found that out a my first intro into card making.

Ask anyone here the difference between the original 110# recollection paper made in Texas and the made in China 110 they are trying to pass off as the same. You can see here there are many favourites of paper which people have settled on after finding a paper they are happy with, not only the weight but have you ever seen the many colors of white paper ( a whole other post).

As usual lots of good advice here, but I do stand by my statement that there is "flimsy" paper out there, and that is why there are so many suggestions here to cover the question about paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point about colour, canadagoose. Who ever knew there were so many 'whites'? It's the same with blacks- I have so many versions of black it's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Tell me about paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Good point about colour, canadagoose. Who ever knew there were so many 'whites'? It's the same with blacks- I have so many versions of black it's ridiculous.
It's like picking out the right shade of white paint. Have you ever cut out a die from white card stock, then when you went to add it to your card that the card was a different shade or it came from a different package of the same brand? Ask me how I know. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
It's like picking out the right shade of white paint. Have you ever cut out a die from white card stock, then when you went to add it to your card that the card was a different shade or it came from a different package of the same brand? Ask me how I know. Lol
To echo your words, I work with color, including paint color. Benjamin Moore has 144 whites. : )

This afternoon I was sorting random white paper I hadn't put back. In good natural light with each piece lined up next to each other, the white differences weren't hard to see. Under lamp light, regardless of type, it wasn't possible. Whether paint or paper, comparing is the key to i.d.ing - lining them up next to each other. Then you see the gray or yellow or blue undertones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Has anyone talked about image crispness partially depending on paper? At a basic inking/mixed media workshop, we were given 5 or 6 different papers, and stamped the same image with the same ink on each one. None looked bad, but a couple were so much better than others.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 03:39 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I think I'll start out with some of the Georgia Pacific card stock from Walmart. I go to Walmart fairly often, but all the other places I'd be able to get paper from are out of the way for me. Though, that is assuming my Walmart even carries it. :/

Are there many papers made in China that are any good?

I can imagine the color differences... so much to learn. Just like with inks... lol But you all have been wonderful! Helping me and teaching me.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I think I'll start out with some of the Georgia Pacific card stock from Walmart. I go to Walmart fairly often, but all the other places I'd be able to get paper from are out of the way for me. Though, that is assuming my Walmart even carries it. :/

Are there many papers made in China that are any good?

I can imagine the color differences... so much to learn. Just like with inks... lol But you all have been wonderful! Helping me and teaching me.
If you have a Sam's Club, they carry a great brand of 110# cardstock that I've used for a long time. You can order it online with free shipping, too. Here's a link:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/gp-imag...eets/131967.ip

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Ahh, thank you... is it better than the Georgia Pacific? I have a Sam's, but it's near Pat Catan's and a JoAnn's... so, I could shop either of those places too. And I don't have a membership to Sam's either. Sooo... lol
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ahh, thank you... is it better than the Georgia Pacific? I have a Sam's, but it's near Pat Catan's and a JoAnn's... so, I could shop either of those places too. And I don't have a membership to Sam's either. Sooo... lol
It appears you can shop online without a membership at Sams, but you pay a 10% surcharge. That really isn't too bad, since the cardstock is pretty inexpensive to start with. And yes, in my opinion, the Image Plus from Sams is nicer than the Georgia Pacific.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Ohh, ok, that's interesting! Thank you! Gosh, yet another thing to bookmark on my poor computer. hahaha!

It's actually Georgia Pacific brand.. does Walmart not carry this particular one? I can't wait to get paid! *rubs hands together in anticipation* xD LOL
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Ohh, ok, that's interesting! Thank you! Gosh, yet another thing to bookmark on my poor computer. hahaha!

It's actually Georgia Pacific brand.. does Walmart not carry this particular one? I can't wait to get paid! *rubs hands together in anticipation* xD LOL
Yes, the Image Plus is made by Georgia Pacific, but they don't carry this particular kind at Walmart. I think it's a little heavier than the GP that Walmart sells.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Ok.. I won't waste my time looking then. ;) Thank you!
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 499 Likes on 277 Posts

Gina K 120# white is my "go to" card base. It's really nice cs, and it makes a professional looking and feeling card. I use the 110# Image Plus for stamping on, and layering. I have one package of a metallic white 135# cs that I bought from paper-papers which is a classy card base, with a gorgeous shine to it.

You can not beat the Gina K, though. I put a $50 Gina K gift card on my wish list when I'm running low (free shipping at $50, so you see my strategy?), and DH or somebody will usually give me one.

I am with other previous posters that a flimsy base makes your whole card appear to be cheap. When I get a card made from a flimsy cs, I feel the person just didn't care.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Gina K 120# white is my "go to" card base. It's really nice cs, and it makes a professional looking and feeling card. I use the 110# Image Plus for stamping on, and layering. I have one package of a metallic white 135# cs that I bought from paper-papers which is a classy card base, with a gorgeous shine to it.

You can not beat the Gina K, though. I put a $50 Gina K gift card on my wish list when I'm running low (free shipping at $50, so you see my strategy?), and DH or somebody will usually give me one.

I am with other previous posters that a flimsy base makes your whole card appear to be cheap. When I get a card made from a flimsy cs, I feel the person just didn't care.
Pat, I agree with you that the Gina K card stock is a lovely, heavy cardstock, and makes a professional card. However, with a price of $7.95 for only 25 sheets, it may be too expensive and out of reach for many stampers. I know myself that I don't buy it for that reason.

If a person can't afford to buy it, and must use a cheaper cardstock, I don't think that means they don't care - just that they may not have the money to spend on the more expensive paper.

The amount of money spent making a card does not always directly relate to the thought, love and time that went into making it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 499 Likes on 277 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Pat, I agree with you that the Gina K card stock is a lovely, heavy cardstock, and makes a professional card. However, with a price of $7.95 for only 25 sheets, it may be too expensive and out of reach for many stampers. I know myself that I don't buy it for that reason.

If a person can't afford to buy it, and must use a cheaper cardstock, I don't think that means they don't care - just that they may not have the money to spend on the more expensive paper.

The amount of money spent making a card does not always directly relate to the thought, love and time that went into making it.
I understand your point, Bugga, and in rebuttal I will say that a lot of people complain about the cost of Gina K cs, then they buy SU. The price is almost the same. And that pack of 25 sheets makes 50 card bases at a rough cost of 16 cents each, not counting shipping. I hate paying shipping myself, and there are options if you can't buy $50 worth yourself to get the free shipping. Go together with your friends to make a buy together, that's only going to take 7 packs of cs to meet the $50, or stamps, etc. If no one spends $50 on you that would give you a gift card, maybe a couple people would give you a $25 gift card?

I'm not saying that money spent on making a card equates with caring. I understand the time & effort that goes into the process. But I will say that if I couldn't afford a decent weight cs for card bases, I'd probably double the thickness and stick it together. I truly don't like cs that flops around like copier paper in the hand. And I don't have all the money in the world, I'm on an allowance, married to the King of Penny Pinching. I have to turn in my receipts every day, so he can put them into Quicken. For 3 years, I was on half allowance, because I had run my credit card up, and we paid it off using money from the sale of my family home. It took me three years to pay that money back into the account. I understand budgeting, and having to put wants on hold. I pretty much don't buy SU anymore, because of the cost. That and the way they cut back on the hostess benefits. I have no problem using Recollections cs from Michael's- I do it all the time, for layers & die cuts. I use dollar ribbon (when I can remember to put ribbon ON a card, lol!). I also use dollar embellishments (or less, when I can find stuff on clearance). I'm not a high price product snob (I do like a lot of pricey things, which I can't always buy).

I apologize if I gave offense to anyone with my comment.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I understand your point, Bugga, and in rebuttal I will say that a lot of people complain about the cost of Gina K cs, then they buy SU. The price is almost the same. And that pack of 25 sheets makes 50 card bases at a rough cost of 16 cents each, not counting shipping. I hate paying shipping myself, and there are options if you can't buy $50 worth yourself to get the free shipping. Go together with your friends to make a buy together, that's only going to take 7 packs of cs to meet the $50, or stamps, etc. If no one spends $50 on you that would give you a gift card, maybe a couple people would give you a $25 gift card?

I'm not saying that money spent on making a card equates with caring. I understand the time & effort that goes into the process. But I will say that if I couldn't afford a decent weight cs for card bases, I'd probably double the thickness and stick it together. I truly don't like cs that flops around like copier paper in the hand. And I don't have all the money in the world, I'm on an allowance, married to the King of Penny Pinching. I have to turn in my receipts every day, so he can put them into Quicken. For 3 years, I was on half allowance, because I had run my credit card up, and we paid it off using money from the sale of my family home. It took me three years to pay that money back into the account. I understand budgeting, and having to put wants on hold. I pretty much don't buy SU anymore, because of the cost. That and the way they cut back on the hostess benefits. I have no problem using Recollections cs from Michael's- I do it all the time, for layers & die cuts. I use dollar ribbon (when I can remember to put ribbon ON a card, lol!). I also use dollar embellishments (or less, when I can find stuff on clearance). I'm not a high price product snob (I do like a lot of pricey things, which I can't always buy).

I apologize if I gave offense to anyone with my comment.
Your points understood, Pat. No offense taken. I just don't want anyone to ever think they cannot make nice cards or enjoy this wonderful hobby unless they purchase top of the line supplies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're interested in cardstock that is on the high end of the spectrum with quality, but still a little more affordable, try Paper Trey Ink's white cardstock: https://www.papertreyink.com/white-cardstock/

It costs 6$ for 40 sheets. It's a nice, heavy weight (100#) that's good for card bases, but not so heavy that it cracks when you score it. It's my personal go-to for white bases. I also buy my kraft cardstock there (9$ for 50 sheets), and I've tried quite a few other colors. Great quality and a very nice price.

I also really liked the cardstock sampler they have. It's a good value for the amount of cardstock you get, and you get to actually see all the colors so you know which one(s) you want to order more of. That's one of the things that's challenging about buying online is when the cardstock color doesn't match with the image on your computer.

My Favorite Things also has cardstock samplers you can try. I find their cardstock to be the same great quality as PTI, but with different colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I agree, Elle. The sampler is really nice, and is one Jennifer McGuire told me about. Well, me and anyone else in the world who saw that blog/video.

Some lovely neturals (to me) are in that pack. I'm picky about the undertones of neutrals and am looking at a card I made for my husband's birthday this week with a pale ivoryish gray, and some soft green-blues, and just swoon - not over my work, over the colors.

I also tossed in two textured linen papers: darker gray and bright white from another company. I'm going to buy a couple of the colors solo, but another sample pack or two probably.

? Question: I love textured, soft linen paper. Does anyone have fave companies that sell a quality textured linen paper, especially if they make it in more colors than white or off-white? Mine may have been from Studio Calico kits from when I subbed. It even feels good. It's 12x12, which is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post

Speaking as one who can't afford...that's the truth. But also...some people may not know it, til they get their hands on it. It would be nice to get a "sample pack" of like 5 sheets (or even 2) of each kind spoken about, i.e. "this is 2 of recollections, this is 2 of GP, this is 2 of ginak, this is 2 of x, this is companyB #110 and #135"...not necessarily the "this is watercolor, this is smooth, this is made for x". Or the worst case, making the same card with 3 different papers, with a little note explaining the differences, so that people can actually see it. Kindof like buying a set of 99cent store colored pencils, then storebrand/sub-brand quality, then Crayola brand, going all the way up to the professional qualities...people may not see the difference, til they either get to use them, or see them side by side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Beth-
Try Bazzill's 8.5x11" cardstock in Canvas or Grass Cloth finish. There's a large selection on Amazon and it goes on sale periodically. I've purchased several sets of 25 for under 5$ each. The cardstock itself is not too heavy, so it makes a great layering piece. But it's not completely flimsy either, in case you wanted to make a quick CAS card with it.

You may also be able to find some at your local Michael's - as single sheets. Great way to grab a few to try and test.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you Elle! Nice, lots of colors. I wish they had a sample pack like MFT. The 12x12 linen (or whatever it is - just straight lines) I have feels soft, even a bit silky compared to regular cardstock (regardless of company). Do you think the Bazzill has that nice "hand?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Another decent 110# paper is Staples white or cream. A ream of 250 is under $20.

Some card stocks are really heavy and by the time you layer them makes them vey heavy and mailing costs go up. But for a one o r two layer card a good base really helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Beth-
Yes, I think it has a softer feel, a bit velvet-like.

There used to be 4-color packs for sale from Bazzill, but I think they've been discontinued as I can't find them anymore. But your local Michael's might have them as single sheets, still, so it's worth checking out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks, Elle. I'll absolutely do that, maybe today. The paper I have even looks soft without touching it. It's probably the texture. : ) I've purchased some really nice individual 12x12 sheets from Michael's in the past, even though 8.5x11 is my go-to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Bazzil was sold to American Crafts over two years ago. As result there is a difference in the paper and less colour selection. The original Bazzil was made in AZ the new is made in Utah.

Unfortunately the wife of the original Bazzil owner kept her store (Scrapbooks Etc )in Mesa open until this July. I will miss the great selection of paper when I return this winter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

I figured out that the paper I have from Studio Calico kts is "AC Cardstock for Studio Calico." I have an entire pack of "weave" in vanilla, and it's got an identical feel and look as all the single sheet colors. It's just luscious.

Given AC buying Bazzill, I hope the type I have hasn't been discontinued. And thanks for that info, canada goose. I'm sorry your winter LSS has closed; that's rough.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I buy the white heavyweight cardstock at Hobby Lobby for my card bases. I get it on sale and I find it high quality. I use the cheaper thinner cardstock for papers when I am layering.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

This is a super discussion and I'm learning so much!! One thing that I did encounter, since I'm not using the cheap premade card bases now... scoring. :l I did buy a bone folder thing... whatever it is! haha xD But I'm unsure how to use it exactly.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

A bone folder helps you to score. You can drag it along a ruler, "drawing" a line, that helps you to fold the card easier. There are other things you can do with it...but that's the basic.

I would suggest getting a scoring board, similar to ones discussed here. That way, you can draw the line where you want it, *and* you can make more detailed folds, say for a card that you want to open like double doors, or making envelopes or things like that. Tools for Card Making: Scoring Board & Bone Folder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Ahh, thank you! I figured that was the basics of it... I plan on looking it up on youtube. Gotta love youtube.
>^..^<
xoxoxoxo
Reply With Quote Likes