Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Metallic Pencils - convince me I need them! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/metallic-pencils-convince-me-i-need-them-43631/)

jrindahl 04-17-2005 10:14 AM

Metallic Pencils - convince me I need them!

Aside from crayon resist and writing on the inside of cards, why would I need the metallic pencils?

Henrysmom 04-17-2005 10:24 AM

Ok ladies...I gotta see some posts here. I have the same question!

Stampmomma 04-17-2005 10:24 AM

I would have never bought them myself, but I earned an entire set of free ones from SU (what a great company--who can resist FREE?)

Anyways, I am so glad I have them and highly reccomend them. You can use them to add shimmery highlights to your watercolored images. It looks great on the wings of butterflies, dragon flies, etc!

Henrysmom 04-17-2005 10:30 AM

Great idea! I am assuming they can't be used with blender pens, aquapainters, etc. Can you use Gamsol?

Stampmomma 04-17-2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrysmom
Can you use Gamsol?

Good question! I've never tried, but I think I remember Princess Ink saying that she did use gamsol with them and had BEAUTIFUL effects. If you've never seen Princess Ink's gallery, put it on your list of things to do once the gallery is up and running again. She is an amazing artist.

kmjenkyns 04-17-2005 11:18 AM

I've had pretty good luck using a blender stump with them. they're great for butterflies!

StampinPixie 04-17-2005 12:10 PM

I had demo'd the pure color pencils for a monthly club and the girls loved them. So the next month, at the end of my demo, all I did was pass around the pencils and a piece of black paper on which I had scribbled the metallic pencils. They loved them and bought them. They do show up really well on dark paper - better than I would have thought. Not quite like pearlix, but close.

stampoholicsunanimous 04-17-2005 12:21 PM

I just earned a pack of these with my GREAT REWARDS POINTS...can't wait to try them...who can resist FREE!!!!!!!!!!

allpaperart 04-17-2005 12:54 PM

Prima or SU Pencils?

I am thinking of getting prisma pencils- Are the SU pure color and the metallic better? - Do they show up really well on Black paper?

riderseeker 04-17-2005 01:29 PM

I have used the blender pens with them. It turns out gorgeous.

D Malin 04-17-2005 01:32 PM

The metallic pencils are great for coloring in images on dominoes! They work much better than the other pencils and don't run when you seal them.

jrindahl 04-17-2005 02:21 PM

Hmmm.....I don't have any butterfly stamps and am wondering if I would use the pure color pencils. I was contemplating redeeming my greats rewards points for the pencils.

Hubby'sPrincess 04-17-2005 03:04 PM

Highlights and shadings for flowers. Just a bit of glitz to add some sparkle.
Are you really wonderif you need them or wanting us to talk you into them?

jrindahl 04-17-2005 04:08 PM

Perhaps a little bit of both. I am not sure what to get with my great rewards points. I don't really want the fancy fibers. Is there something you can say to convince me I absolutely need to have the pure color crayons?

stampindonna 04-17-2005 04:14 PM

The Pure Color Pencils and Metallic Pencils are both fabulous for Shrink Plastic. I color the images in before shrinking and there is no need to seal them afterwards -- they're permanent.

I love the Pure Color pencils for blending colors as well. I'm a huge Prismacolor fan from back in school (way before SU! even existed!). The Pure Color pencils blend as well as the Prismacolors. Just wish they were available in more colors!!

MSBetsyZ 04-17-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrindahl
Perhaps a little bit of both. I am not sure what to get with my great rewards points. I don't really want the fancy fibers. Is there something you can say to convince me I absolutely need to have the pure color crayons?

Well, I guess the fact that I would have them on hand to demo them would be a plus for me. It's nice to get them from Great Rewards, because then you're not spending your own money on something you aren't sure you're in love with, lol! From everything I've heard about the pencils, though, you wouldn't be disappointed in them!

mamaof3insd 04-17-2005 06:41 PM

i debated with the metallic colors or the wire works cause i have the su penicls, chalks and pads, but no wire...maybe next quarter if they still have them for great rewards! i saw this too late!

birdbrain 04-17-2005 07:38 PM

I, too, got these w/ Great Rewards and TBH I'm still on the fence, however, I really haven't played w/ them a whole lot. The colors seem muted, so I haven't found the perfect medium. I hear they're great for the resist technique...just have to play. I'd like to hear some project ideas w/ these, too!

tgkrupsky 04-17-2005 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampmomma
Good question! I've never tried, but I think I remember Princess Ink saying that she did use gamsol with them and had BEAUTIFUL effects. If you've never seen Princess Ink's gallery, put it on your list of things to do once the gallery is up and running again. She is an amazing artist.

Yes, you can. We did it at a meeting and it comes out awesome!!!
Gina Krupsky