Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Metal dies discoloring card stock (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/metal-dies-discoloring-card-stock-560501/)

Whimsey 09-05-2012 06:25 AM

Metal dies discoloring card stock

I have tried searching for an answer to this, but so far no luck. Hope I'm not just missing it! :confused:

I have a few metal dies that when I run them through my die cut machine they leave a "grey film" on the card stock - particularly noticeable on white card stock, but you can see it on other colors too. I can typically use a white eraser to remove the discoloration but some dies are very intricate and I risk tearing or mutilating what I just cut! :(

A few times, I have added a "scrap" piece of paper in front of my card stock and then cut both at the same time but I hate doing this...

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Crafter 4 Life 09-05-2012 06:34 AM

Have you tried 'wiping down' the die with a baby wipe before use? I know what you mean and this has worked for me. Know that this is frustrating but at the factory, they sometimes put some sort of 'prep' finish on the die.

Good luck!

Whimsey 09-05-2012 07:40 AM

I've tried using a baby wipe and just a damp paper cloth. The die I used last night is BRAND NEW and never used before (unless tested before being shipped) and sure enough; it left discoloration on the card stock. :(

Thank you for your input!!

Crafter 4 Life 09-06-2012 02:43 PM

Just a thought but could you put a piece of copy paper between the die and the 'good' paper so the image would cut but the discoloration would be on the copy paper. Try this a few times and maybe the discoloration would stop.

winnieu 09-06-2012 03:55 PM

I never had this happen to me, but I am also thinking I would wash them and dry them good. Copy paper on top of them instead of card stock is also a great idea. I wouldn't waste the ones you cut that are stained. I would cover them with stain, or ink, or paint and use them for another project maybe?

Sew It Seams 09-07-2012 09:25 AM

I've not had this issue with edgelits or framelits, but I have had this same issue with sizzlets and embosslets. Now I just used copy paper for about 10 cuts, then they were okay. But not knowing at first that this was going to happen ruined some cardstock - lesson learned!

Kathleen Mc 09-12-2012 06:36 AM

i think it is the paint coming off with the pressure applied - i have found this with the blue marianne dies especially but also with some of my spellbinder dies!
maybe using baking parchment or wax paper between the die and your cardstock will help and help to release the die at the same time.

scalder1 09-12-2012 08:30 AM

Have you tried using wax paper between the die and the card stock. Much thinner and cheaper than cardstock.

uncbballfan 09-12-2012 06:52 PM

I, too, have tried a white eraser without much luck. So I normally add a piece of wax paper between the die and the cardstock. However, yesterday, I used a die I had never used before, forgetting to add the wax paper. Quite by accident, I found that my adhesive eraser works much better than the white eraser on the gray steel dies. I'm not sure this would work on Spellbinders.

Whimsey 09-13-2012 04:53 AM

I'm only experiencing the problem with gray steel dies - so I'll try my adhesive erase; great thought. Just not sure what to do when it's an "intricate" die... :(

I'll try the wax paper too - thanks for the tip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfan (Post 19683267)
I, too, have tried a white eraser without much luck. So I normally add a piece of wax paper between the die and the cardstock. However, yesterday, I used a die I had never used before, forgetting to add the wax paper. Quite by accident, I found that my adhesive eraser works much better than the white eraser on the gray steel dies. I'm not sure this would work on Spellbinders.

jasonw1 09-13-2012 08:34 PM

Cheery Lynn Dies leave a purple stain...but I found that wax paper solved the problem...I don't always remember to do it though so I have had to redo...

Actually the new dies should come with a reccomendation for this problem. I haven't really noticed it with Memory Box but if any one does, if you write Dave at Memory Box he is very open to idea's for new dies so I know he would react to this if it is a problem.

Peggy

canada goose 09-13-2012 10:07 PM

Metal dies dis coloring card stock

Interesting, I have not had any problems with cheery lynne up to this point. However I did have a slight grey discoloration on one of my nasties when it as used at first.seems to be okay now after several uses.