Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Markers.....the best???

I have seen so much about the Copic markers that if I asked which marker was best I guess that would be aa "handsdown". Due to their expense I am looking for something else. I love the Prismacolor Markers and have those and could continue their use just replacing the ones that are no longer inked, or I have also seen the Zig markers. Has anyonr tried both....of at least tridd the doule ended Zig ones?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Don't know much about the markers but I laughed out loud when I read your blurb about your husband selling your stamps when you die - I TOTALLY related to that! *grin* Thanks for my laugh of the day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I couldn't afford the copics either and I saw a lot of posts about the Bic Markers - Mark-It - I got a set of 24 for 12.95. At the very least they are another option for markers in the house and at the most I can get a look like the copics - I found a youtube "how to get the copic look" with these markers online and thought it seemed worth a try, anyway!

Of course I love the SU markers for their versatility and being able to ink up the stamp and huff method so there's those.

I also love the Zig pigment markers. I have the double ended ones and love them also, like for scrapbooking as there are a ton of colors and they are pigment for longer wear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I could never imagine spending $300 for a set of Copics, and even if I could, I don't WANT to have to decide and dither around about choosing from that many colors. But that's just me.

So I have taken the cheapie way and am very happy with it. I got the set of 36 Bic mark-its, and also a set of colored Sharpies. Then, I have gone to Hobby Lobby with my trusty coupons and bought several pale colored Copics one at a time. That is the only problem I have with the cheaper markers - the colors are very bright and intense.

The pastel Copics I filled in with work very well with the other markers I have. I also have a few Prismacolor markers that I also bought individually with a coupon at Mikes. I have a cool and warm grey that I like a lot, and another called Eggshell which is nice for flesh tones, with a little cheek color added.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I took a Copics class earlier this week and decided I do not need Copics.

I have many Prismacolor markers as well as complete sets of the Bics and Sharpies and I can do what Copics do without the expense.

Keep your Prismacolor markers- there is no difference except the way the colors are named and the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my Bic markers too.
Love how copics look, but no way I can spend taht much on markers right now, maybe in the future ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I use and love Tombow markers!! The lady who teaches the stamp classes I attend uses copic but there is no way I could afford those. I also have Prismacolor Markers... which I love for my artwork, but I haven't loved them on my cards thus far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Bic Markit markers are now sold individually at Staples for .99 each! check out the lighter colors they offer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingersView Post
I couldn't afford the copics either and I saw a lot of posts about the Bic Markers - Mark-It - I got a set of 24 for 12.95. At the very least they are another option for markers in the house and at the most I can get a look like the copics - I found a youtube "how to get the copic look" with these markers online and thought it seemed worth a try, anyway!

Of course I love the SU markers for their versatility and being able to ink up the stamp and huff method so there's those.

I also love the Zig pigment markers. I have the double ended ones and love them also, like for scrapbooking as there are a ton of colors and they are pigment for longer wear.
Oh I forgot to say, I got my Mark-Its 24-pack for 12.95 at the new Wal-Mart that just went up. It has a storage case and everything. I tried last night and like. For those that were looking, that's about half the price that I had seen them individually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

You can use different mediums together to achieve the same look as copics! Bic Mark-its is what I started out with. There aren't as many colors per each color family, but you can layer with regular ink based markers, watercolor, prismas, the sky's the limit! Don't be afraid to mix different mediums!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeforTView Post
Bic Markit markers are now sold individually at Staples for .99 each! check out the lighter colors they offer!
they do!! nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigfingersView Post

I have done this too, and I also like the SU markers.

Do you have to have markers? Prismacolor pencils are another nice coloring option and are much more reasonable (check eBay for good deals).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeforTView Post
I checked out the display in our Staples. While I'm hugely excited to be able to replace my pens individually, I didn't see any new-to-me shades. Of course, I got the 36-pen pack originally, so maybe that's why??

I love my BIC Mark-Its, but I would like a lighter selection for each color family to use primarily as a blender for the darker colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I have invested in Prisma markers when they are 1.99 at Utrect Art. I now have all of the colrors except the 97 shades of gray. I have come across a few PTI colrs that Prisma doesn't have 3 shades for- I've filled in with Copics. They are the same kind of ink, and work well together. I like the Prismas better because they have a better 'fine' point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I used to think that Copic markers were too expensive. Then I looked at the current price of a Stampin UP marker. They are 3.25 each. I bought all of my Copic Ciao Markers for less than 3.00 each. So actually Copics are cheaper if you don't have to have the more expensive sketch markers. I have purchased a few sketch to get colors that were not available in Ciao. Right now you can get Ciao markers for around 2.85 each at oozak.com and if you spend at least $50.00 you get free shipping. I think it is a fantastic bargain.

I also have a few Prismacolor markers, but I find that the fine tip is not fine enough for me. I like the brush tip of the Copics. For really small areas I can just lightly tap it and the color spreads just slightly to fill the space.

As for the Bic markers; I bought them last year when they were half off at Target. Most of the colors are way to dark for me. I use them every once in a while.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Post Thanks to all...............

I really appreciate all of your replies & help in deciding where to go from here.

I knew the Copics were out as far as prices go but have heard they are awesome markers

I had never known that Bic even had a line of Markers so I will have to at least look on-line to see what they are like since they were mentioned several times here just out of curiousity.

I have used the Prismacolor markers for quite awhile and always bought the replacements I needed - which was usually from the few colors that Michaels or Hobby Lobby carried. I was shocked the last time I saw them at Michaels since they had gone up in price to $4.49
I guess I haven't replaced any in quite awhile as I don't use them much anymore due to some health problems. Luckily, I did find them on-line for $1.99 each so I will replace the few I need that way.

I don't know how many people will read this as it is a week old but in case anyone does, I am needing some colored pencils that are eraseable. I have tried several but the ones I have tried seem to not have deep tones, or don't blend well when coloring....being able to see the lines of "scribbling" so to speak.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? They must be eraseable.

Thanks for everyones help.

Blessings,
Debbie

Last edited by stampfunny; 07-25-2009 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #17  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine has a neurological illness - a genetic form of ALS and over the past year she has had a lot of trouble holding markers etc. She uses chalks almost excluvisively. Her colouring turns out beautifully!!! I think she has not only the SU chalks, but also a lot of the Pebbles Brand Chalks - and they work out really well for her - and she can erase the chalk if she goes outside of the lines.

Hope that might help!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For pencils you could try watercolor pencils. Blend the "scribble" lines with a blender pen or use prisma pencils and odorless mineral spirits to blend them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I'm very slowly building my collection of copics but i use watercolour pencils all the time, i love them and have a good technique that suits me, sadly nowhere near enough colours for me but you can blend etc. Pro markers are excellent too and a much cheaper option than copics, i was reading on a blog a lady who compared copics, pro markers and Marvy. You couldn't tell the difference between them all they looked identical!
Hugs
Tizzy xxx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I think it really depends on your own personal style and the style of the stamp and card..... Sharpies/Bics will give you bright vivid colors. I find them the easiest to color in very small spaces with.

Copics/Prismas can give either a muted effect or a bright and bold look, They blend beautifully.

Colored pencils are more subtle and softer, but very very pretty.. almost vintage

For me it depends on the style I want the card to be......... vintage, modern, springy, light and crisp, clean lines etc.........

I love my copics...... but i dont think they are necessity........ to me they are a luxury, I didnt buy stamps that really would only look good with Copics, until I had copics. I love using them, but my preCopic cards are just as pretty, just a different look :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I think it really depends on your own personal style and the style of the stamp and card..... Sharpies/Bics will give you bright vivid colors. I find them the easiest to color in very small spaces with.

Copics/Prismas can give either a muted effect or a bright and bold look, They blend beautifully.

Colored pencils are more subtle and softer, but very very pretty.. almost vintage

For me it depends on the style I want the card to be......... vintage, modern, springy, light and crisp, clean lines etc.........

I love my copics...... but i dont think they are necessity........ to me they are a luxury, I didnt buy stamps that really would only look good with Copics, until I had copics. I love using them, but my preCopic cards are just as pretty, just a different look :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry...........................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I have about 60 Prismacolor markers and I love them.
Just got 25 today that I ordered from Dick Blick for 1.99 each.
I'm just learning how to color with them.;)

I also have many Prismacolor pencils which I also love. I still use them and sometimes with the Gamsol.

I got some Kooh-I-Noor woodless pencils from Gina K, but I haven't used them yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for!!

I have some SU, Creative Memories & misc markers I use occasionally too.

But for me, Prismacolor Markers are the best!!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes