Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED OPINIONS ON DIE CUT MACHINES

Well my birthday is approaching and for once I think I know what I want... or not... I would love to have my own die cut machine, which I would use primarily for letters, large and small ones, ... but as I search out there I see many choices, many price ranges... What is the best bang for the buck??? Especially when you are talking to a person who prefers to make cards, not scrapbooks... Although as a demo I am "forced" to do both... Hahahaha! jk...Opinions please?! I am so glad I have you talented people to turn to!!! Thank you Noltas for SCS!!!
*hugs*
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a regular Sizzix machine with the Sizzlets converter. I like it because it seems very versatile-other companies dies can be used with it with the proper converters, like Cross-cuts, and I believe Quickcutz? I like the big machine because I can do the larger envelopes, tags, slide frames (4 in one shot), and then just pop in the converter to do smaller stuff.

I just got a Cricut, and that's been fun too. Big investment up front, but if you start looking at the cost of the Sizzix or Sizzlets alphabets, you'll realize that this system is very cost effective in the long run. It also looks like it was designed for more options in the future; I noticed a port in the back that may hook up to a computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

My aunt just gave me her Sizzix last weekend, along w/at least 5 alphabets and LOTS of shapes, too! I am so excited I can't stand it! I stayed far away from these in the past and had NO IDEA how much $ was involved in these. So I feel blessed that I got it for FREE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love my sizzix!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

sorry - I hit enter too quick! I was going to add....that I have not looked into any other die cutters b/c I have spent so much on my sizzix that I can't afford to entertain the thought of getting involved with any others!!!!
I do love it though - good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

If you're willing to save a little more before buying a machine I'd go for the wishblade. With that one you can cut any font and don't have to buy Sizzix fonts or cartridges or QK shapes anymore. In the long term that is the best investment.

That said, I do like my Sizzix and the Sidekick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks! I spoke with a woman at the hobby store that bought that wishblade... and that is why she was working there! (to pay it off!!!) I have looked at the sizzix and the dies look like they'd be a small fortune to collect just in the alphabet alone... Hmmm... but on the wishblade, do you have to purchase different "programs" for different cuts, thereby imitating the additional costs of the sizzix, or is it a one-time purchase that you freely find and cut anything you want? Does that make sense? Thank you gals!!! Keep the opinions coming...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 11:44 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

I LOVE my accu-cut Mark IV...although they have newer ones out now. I have had it for about 6+ years and it is great for die-cut boxes as I do a lot of favors and gifts. It is NOT cheap but I have enjoyed it as I work in a school and am constantly having to make 50-100 of some type of favor

For alphabets, I like my Sizzix and they are coming out with fun new dies for embellishments (buckles, tags, tabs, etc) as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I love my sizzix however my friend has the new cricut and after she got it she sold all her other die cut machines and said she loved the cricut more. It is on sale right now in a lot of places. I would definitely consider that one also.

Sibylle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 03:19 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a Sizzix machine but am in the process of selling off all my dies on Ebay so I can get a Wishblade or CraftRobo.

Have you looked into those?
-:�:- ((��.��*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 03:49 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Lisa!
I have heard some great stuff about the cricut. It is almost $300 but with a Michael's half off or 40% coupon you get an excellent deal. Our local store has one set up where you can try it out (or maybe the ladies around the machine weren't supposed to be?). Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 03:52 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, and it's a nice compact size. My upline had an old school machine that was HUGE! Nevertheless it did its job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:08 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

So what is the difference between the Cricut and the Wishblade? Did the circut do alphabet on its own, like from one inch all the way to 6 or 8 inch (5-1/2 at least for my cards!!!)? I just cannot seem to get consistent information on wishblade, or much of any information on cricut... so I am counting on you!!!
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:11 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I have the Sizzix Machine and am also in the process of selling off everything on ebay.

I purchased the Cricut with the 40% coupon and then used a 50% coupon on the catridges.....

i love it................................................ ................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

but what about the letters? what sizes? do you have to buy cartridges for cricut? what does it come with for the 250$?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaB
Thanks! I spoke with a woman at the hobby store that bought that wishblade... and that is why she was working there! (to pay it off!!!) I have looked at the sizzix and the dies look like they'd be a small fortune to collect just in the alphabet alone... Hmmm... but on the wishblade, do you have to purchase different "programs" for different cuts, thereby imitating the additional costs of the sizzix, or is it a one-time purchase that you freely find and cut anything you want? Does that make sense? Thank you gals!!! Keep the opinions coming...
I believe with the wishblade you can use any true type font you have on your computer. They also have fonts, shapes, etc. that you can purchase. There is a yahoo group for people who own or want to own the wishblade. There is a wealth of information there. I joined to research before I take the plunge. I haven't had the time to really get into researching but from what I have gathered so far, for fonts, wishblade would be the way to go. The initial investment for the wishblade is quite a chunk ($499) but being able to use all the true type fonts on your computer as apposed to sizzix fonts at around $89 each (on sale). Plus the sizzix or big shot unit itself, and the adapter, you will be at $499 with just 4 or 5 font sets in no time. I would recommend joining the yahoo wishblade group and asking questions first. I believe this is the link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wishblade/?yguid=88400746
I have the sizzix and big shot and love them for shapes and other dies, but for fonts and being able to spell and cut words, I am leaning toward the wishblade.
Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

HI!
I craft more than I scrap so the Sizzix is perfect for me. It cuts such a wide variety of materials that to date the other machines can not. I'm sure that will be corrected as these machines evolve. The draw back to the Sizzix that I see is the sizes are set by the die, while the newer machines have adjustable sizes.
I have had my Sizzix for 2 years after waiting many years to get one. At this time I have no plans to purchase a different machine. What I have works for me and with money being tight (DH is off work recovering from surgery) so no looking for now. LOL!!!'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

With the Wishblade, you don't really ever have to invest in anything else ever again. It will cut true type fonts and dingbats very easily. You just open your WB software, type in what you want, size it, then click outline and then cut. Very easy! To do clip art, it is a little more work, but not much. There are a couple of free programs out there that will auto trace for you. I use Illustrator CS2, which isn't free, but can be purchased with a student discount for about $100. Other than that, you'll never have to spend any more money, other than for replacement blades and mats. Xyron says the blades last about 6 months under normal use, but I know many who've had them a lot longer.
The Wishblade does have to hook up to the computer to be used. It also comes with SD cards of fonts and shapes, and you'd need a card reader if you wanted to use them. There's also a bridge program that can be purchased that will allow you to cut directly from Illustrator, but, you can also get around it using the free Craft Robo software that can be found online.
I'm a retailer and have a much better price than the $499 quote above, so, if you'd like info, feel free to pm me.
The Wishblades are on backorder now. They're expected in around the end of June/early July. Well worth the wait tho.
Here's a link to a couple of cards I did quickly one morning using clip art I found online.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/suzast...mpin/my_photos

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes