Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Which machine works best w/Memory Box (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/machine-works-best-w-memory-box-536215/)

Missy13 08-23-2011 11:50 AM

Which machine works best w/Memory Box

I absoluetely love the Memory Box dies!! I already have a Cricut and a Sizzix Texture Boutique. But in order to use the Memory Box dies I'll need to purchase another machine. For those of you who have used the MB dies, which machine have you found works best?

thepapercat 08-23-2011 02:11 PM

This video from you tube shows using the die in a Sizzix Big Shot.

Memory Box Dies Video

cgeemvf 08-24-2011 07:19 AM

I have a Cuttlebug and the MB dies work just fine. The sandwich is the same as what I use for Spellbinders: (bottom to top) A plate, C plate, 2 cardstock shims, MB die cutting side up, paper to cut (right side facing down toward the die), B plate. The C plate came with my V1 Cuttlebug but I've read that you have to buy it separately with the V2 machine. Also, be aware that the die will cut into your B plate, but that is normal.

Be sure to have the cutting side up on the die so that it doesn't cut into your C plate. It's way easier to replace the B plate when it gets too mangled. I've also read that each Cuttlebug machine is different so the number of shims may vary, you just need to experiment. I put the shims on top of the C plate so that the die doesn't make an impression in the plate. I place my paper right side down because I like the way the finished cut looks this way. It's more rounded on the top. If you like the sharp side of the cut to face up, then you should put the paper right side up (facing away from the die).

Hope that helps,
Colleen

Crafter 4 Life 08-24-2011 07:49 AM

I have both the CB1 & the Big Shot. The MB dies work in both. I use my thin steel dies in either direction-cutting side up or down-because there are times I am 'fussy' cutting an image on the DP or a stamped image. You just have to place whichever plate that will be cut on the blade side of the die. The MB dies do not have open space like the Spellbinders or Sizzix' etc. dies so I place them face down.

Just as the OP stated, the plate that is on the blade side of the die will get cut marks in it. When using the plates in your die cutting machine, remember to rotate them-flip them front to back and top and bottom-so they will wear evenly. Also, they will 'bow' (get a hump) and this is normal but rotating them will help prolong the use of the individual plates. I have had my CB for over 3 hrs and have only replaced a 'B' plate when it became too bowed to cut or emboss completely or became too scuffed (cut marks) and left lines on the cutout.

Love both machines. Have fun with whatever die cutting machine you decide to buy but just be aware, many stamps companies are now coming out with dies! Some just have shapes, borders, medallion but others have them to coordinate with their stamps so $$$$$

cgeemvf 08-24-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 Life (Post 18657546)
I use my thin steel dies in either direction-cutting side up or down-because there are times I am 'fussy' cutting an image on the DP or a stamped image. You just have to place whichever plate that will be cut on the blade side of the die.

I'm so glad you posted this...it never occurred to me to flip it around. I've been having so many problems with getting my dies in the right place on the paper and they always move when I put the sandwich on the machine. I've tried using tape to hold the die in place, but it doesn't always work. I'll switch my sandwich around and start cutting downward. My Cuttlebug B plate is pretty warped, so I hope it'll still fit through the opening when it's on the bottom. It's also getting pretty cut up and leaving impressions on the paper, so it may be time to break out a new one.

Thanks again,
Colleen

7thSister 08-24-2011 10:32 AM

I use a Grand Calibur - it works and I don't have to remember sandwich recipes. It was made for the thin dies. Also you can run through many dies at one time. For some of the more intricate dies I use the Cheery Lyn Designs Cuttlehug Metal Plate Adaptor.

Missy13 08-25-2011 03:53 AM

Thanks so much everyone!! I really appreciate all your input :)

liannallama 08-26-2011 07:06 AM

I have the Wizard and have not had any problems with the Memory Box dies. They will work in any machine; it's just a matter of which machine you prefer!

toodlesyall 01-05-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liannallama (Post 18664383)
I have the Wizard and have not had any problems with the Memory Box dies. They will work in any machine; it's just a matter of which machine you prefer!

Liannallama, I also have the Wizard (purple), but I'm having a problem getting a clean cut on the Memory Box Sofia Heart die. Don't have a problem with anything else. I've tried using shims and have changed plates. Do you have any suggestions, please?

Thanks! :)

cgeemvf 01-05-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodlesyall (Post 19055532)
Liannallama, I also have the Wizard (purple), but I'm having a problem getting a clean cut on the Memory Box Sofia Heart die. Don't have a problem with anything else. I've tried using shims and have changed plates. Do you have any suggestions, please?

Thanks! :)

I don't know anything about this product, but on another thread someone suggesting using a metal plate in the sandwich to help with the intricate cuts. I'm waiting to read more info on it on the other thread.

Colleen

sprtchick 01-06-2012 10:14 AM

some of the doily dies out there are very very intricate....I have both sizes of the metal plates and still need to turn them 45 degrees and run them through again..sometimes more than one time...but the die cuts are so beautiful they are worth it.
blessings.

Phantom 01-06-2012 05:58 PM

I have the Vagabond and love it - works well with MB dies.

ChadvDail 01-06-2012 10:03 PM

The MB dies work in both. I use my thin steel dies in either direction-cutting side up or down-because there are times
http://www.reconnectyourlife.info/songht1.jpghttp://www.reconnectyourlife.info/songgd.jpg
http://www.bookunion.org/8.jpghttp://www.reconnectyourlife.info/songjh.jpg

BevBohannon 01-11-2012 03:29 AM

I've been looking at the Memory Box dies. Thanks so much for all of the input!

yayayalam 02-11-2012 03:14 AM

Definitely die facing up.

For my cuttlebug, the intricate MB dies only work when the die is facing up, I guess that's because the die is closer to the roller this way (only 1 B plate away ^_^), while if it's facing down, it has all the shims and C plate on top of it, and also the A plate underneath, which makes the die very far away from the roller hence the pressure is much less or not as even compared to die facing up. So the perfect sandwich for cutting intricate MB dies in cuttlebug is
A plate
C Plate
3-4 card stock shim
MB die (cutting side facing UP)
card stock to be cut
B plate

and it cuts BEAUTIFULLY.

GrammaPixel 02-11-2012 05:21 AM

I have a large collection of Memory Box Dies and other fussy dies. I have tried the following machines with them: the wizard, the grand calibur, the cuttlebug, the big shot, the big shot pro, the vagabond....... all of these machines did an okay job....... If I were giving them a grade, each would receive a C or B. None did a great job.

I tried an EPIC 6.......Perfect cuts and very little weeding to do!!! I now use the the Epic 6 with all my fussy dies. I also used it with my embossing folders....... the embossing was so deep, much deeper than any of the above mentioned machines.

kristyhardy 02-17-2012 02:55 PM

If you are going to purchase a machine like this, get the big shot!!!

Crafty Julia 12-03-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristyhardy (Post 19193914)
If you are going to purchase a machine like this, get the big shot!!!

I totally agree. I have had a Cuttlebug, and find it is easier to run cardstock through my Big Shot, and I get better results.

uncbballfan 12-09-2012 12:25 AM

I have a Cuttlebug (owned it for several years now) and just recently purchased a Big Shot. IMHO, the Big Shot is so much better, there is no comparison. I had to fight the Cuttlebug a lot of times to get my sandwich to roll through. With the Big Shot, I just use fingertip pressure and get perfect cuts. (This may be due to the Big Shot having a bigger footprint than the Cuttlebug.)

I have never broken a B plate, but reversing the sandwich and having the C plate on top cracked my C plate (this was using the Cuttlebug). And like someone mentioned, the C plates are harder to replace because they are much harder to find and more expensive.

2 more things: You can use your Cuttlebug plates in the Big Shot (I've hardly used my multipurpose platform); and the Cuttlehug metal plate adapter works wonders with these dies, is worth every penny and also works in the Big Shot.

I am a Big Shot... convert!