Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Liquid Glue Questions/Problems...

I have pretty much quit using my tape runner and have been using Tombow Liquid Glue. I love how it sticks no matter the conditions (I live in hot and hunid FL). The problem I am having is that it is warpping my paper. I use very little, the thin tip and a small line down two sides of the paper. I even place it under something heavy until it dries. Help!!! What an I doing wrong and How can I fix the warpped paper?

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

I wonder if that might be related to the humidity. I haven't experienced paper warping, but it sounds like I apply it differently than you do. I just put a small dot in each corner and dot a few times around the edges - definitely not a solid thin line. If the humidity is the issue, you could end up with little "bubbles" instead of warped paper if you did it my way (obviously not a viable alternative). It might be worth a try, though.

The "dot" method has worked for me - I completed 60 multi-layered graduation cards with one glue bottle. And they held together just fine.

I hope you are able to come up with a workable solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use the Tombow mono-multi and love it. I live in Oklahoma, and we have high humidity in the summer, too.

I haven't had any problems with warping. My application method for a 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 cardfront is to apply a tiny thin line completely around the edge, about 1/4" in, and then I do an "S" squiggle down the middle.

When I put it down on the card, I use my hands to smooth it from the center outward. Then I go all around the edges with my thumb and forefinger to be sure they are firmly "squished."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Thanks guys. I will try to reduce the amount I use and see what happens.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I recently had a friend rave about Zip Dry by Beacon Adhesives. She's been scrapbooking for years and used nothing buy glue sticks. She said she gave the Zip Dry a try (it's a liquid glue) and now uses nothing else. The great thing about it is that it does not wrinkle paper, so that might be an option for you to try.

http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cchart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

There are different types of Tombow liquid glue and some does warp the paper. Is yours the green bottle (Tombow Mono-Multi glue)? I've never had it curl/warp my paper.

Never thought I'd like a liquid glue but since I found the Mono-Multi, I almost never use my ATG anymore.

Any time we cant solve it, we have to manage it, until we can start to solve it again. ~Tony Blair
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 10:49 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

It's Tombow but it is in the blue bottle. I might also try the green bottle and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for all the help.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I think it's the Tombow Aqua that tends to warp the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have problems with liquid adhesive. I've even purchased Perfect Paper Adhesive which is supposed to be the top dog in liquid adhesives, but still have problems with my paper warping and curling. Just purchased an ATG 714 gun, and I'm lovin' it! Can't recommend it highly enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I use the Tombow mono multi (green bottle) and have not had a problem (and it's been very humid here)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Fabri-Tac

I use Fabri-Tac glue from Michaels or Joannes (I think Wal-Mart carries it too). It is meant to glue fabrics together but works great on paper. While it is still a liquid glue, it has the consistencey of rubber cement, but sticks much better. You still have to be careful with how much you use, but it seems to be a bit more forgiving than other liquid glues. You also have a little bit of "move time" after you first apply it. It will get thick and stringy on you after a while, but all you have to do is pour a little acetate (nail polish remover) into it and it thins it. I get the pure acetate at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

The only time i have a problem with liquid glue warping paper is when you use a cheap, thinner paper---if I use that kind of paper (like the kind Michael's sells it packs) then I have to use tape. But if you use a thick, high quality type of paper like SU or Bazzil, then you can use liquid glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by tay0479View Post
It's Tombow but it is in the blue bottle. I might also try the green bottle and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for all the help.
I used the blue and had the same problem in humid VA. I just switched to the green and it is awesome!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

I liave in hot dry california and I've had the blue tombow warp thinner paper. I prefer the Tombow metal glue. This stuff will glue anything. I put down just a thin layer, let it set for a couple of seconds before I press it together. Its less slippery if it sets a little bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another vote for Fabri-Tac. I used to use only Glue Dots, but after ordering a dozen boxes for one scrapbook project, I realized I needed something less expensive. I tried Tombow, white glues, all the Aleenes paper type glues and Zip Dry. Zip Dry seemed to work well for a while, but I noticed after a while, some of the glued layers just popped off. One of my favorite e-bay scrap artists uses Fabri-Tac on her amazing projects:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrainedakota

I tried it and am very pleased at how easy it is to work with and how well it holds. I've never had anything warp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

I live in houston so I understand. What I do is use a HEAT GUN and the wrinkels dissapear. Heres how it works if you dont mind a little science lesson. When paper gets wet it streches then the glue becomes tacky and does not allow the paper to shrink back down before it drys. The heat gun works good on paint can altering also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Fabri-tac and Zip dry are both by beacon and work great.

Another one I like is 3m scrapbooking glue. 3M also came out with a non-wrinkle glue stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Our church card-making group creates many cards for fund-raisers. We are constantly on the look out for adhesives that stick (as many people handle the cards) and that are inexpensive. Some of my favorite adhesives are tape-runners, but by the time you factor the cost of the adhesive with the other supplies, you really don't make much on the sale of the card. So - after having read the various posts on Liquid Adhesives, we have been doing some testing.

First - I'm in Colorado - NOT humid at all!! We tried 3 of the adhesives mentioned in these posts. We tried these three because we could find them at Joann's and Hobby Lobby thus some great sales.

Zip Dry - people LOVE using this glue and our cards are still sticking together after a few months on the card sales rack. However, we only meet once a month so the bottle lasts for months, and after a few months, the bottle of glue starts to "thicken?" thus creating "cobwebs" of glue that can be a real pain to work with. (FYI - this has become my adhesive of choice at home!)

Tombow in the blue bottle - it always wrinkles. Before knowing better, we used the thick end and smeared around the edges - it even warped two heavy Paper Trey cardstocks together. The thin end is better, but you can still see the slightly wrinkled glue line under patterned paper - even SU "quality" patterned paper. I've seen posts where people LOVE this stuff - and I would love for them to chime in as to how they use them. (I bought a bunch of bottles on sale and will throw them away if I don't get some helpful tips.)

Tombow in the green bottle - much better in terms of wrinkles. Very easy to use - as soon as users are trained not to squeeze too hard and create a large puddle of glue. It seems to be lasting on the card racks. However, the quantity is so much less than the blue bottle and it is more expensive - so it starts to defeat our cost-conscious attempts.

Hope this helps,
Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah
Default Liquid glue hint

Quote:

Originally Posted by tay0479View Post
I have pretty much quit using my tape runner and have been using Tombow Liquid Glue. I love how it sticks no matter the conditions (I live in hot and hunid FL). The problem I am having is that it is warpping my paper. I use very little, the thin tip and a small line down two sides of the paper. I even place it under something heavy until it dries. Help!!! What an I doing wrong and How can I fix the warpped paper?
I know you posted this sometime back, but I wanted to tell you about what I use---Elmer's Craft Bond Rubber Cement. It is WONDERFUL !! And I don't think it is very expensive (I'm overseas, so have bought any at home in a while) . It works great---no warping. It states on the label no-wrinkle. I'm able to get it here at Ace Hardware, go figure, but I know Wal-mart and Michaels both sell it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Zip Dry - people LOVE using this glue and our cards are still sticking together after a few months on the card sales rack. However, we only meet once a month so the bottle lasts for months, and after a few months, the bottle of glue starts to "thicken?" thus creating "cobwebs" of glue that can be a real pain to work with. (FYI - this has become my adhesive of choice at home!)
I use Zip Dry almost exclusively and sometime get the thickening problem at the tail end of a bottle. You can revitalize the glue with paint thinner or rubber cement thinner - just a couple of drops will loosen it right back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Where can you buy Zip Dry or the green Tombo (I only see the blue) or Fabri-Tac?

I'm always on the look out for new adhesive alternatives. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my ATG 714, but for really small cuts, it would be nice to have a "go to" liquid adhesive in my stash.

I have ACMoore, Joanns, Michaels, Target, Walmart, etc. But no Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes