Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   Lights in your stamping space-OTT or other?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/lights-your-stamping-space-ott-other-151252/)

Brenda71 06-02-2006 06:56 AM

Lights in your stamping space-OTT or other??

Hi all!!
I am going to order the snap stamps from Joann's and saw the OTT lights 50% off. Do you use these in your work area or do you use something else? What about GE Reveal lightbulbs in a regular lamp? Do I need to spend the $$$$ on an OTT light? The OTT bulb refills look to be very $$$$. Please help.
Thanks!!

Mary JB 06-02-2006 07:01 AM

I don't know if they still have them but I went to Sam's club maybe 3 or 4 months ago and got a SUN Lite lamp. It was $20.00 and I love it. I don't know how much the replacement bulb will be but it worked for me.

MSBetsyZ 06-02-2006 07:01 AM

I have an Ott light. Those bulbs last AGES. Much longer than normal bulbs. As for the Reveal bulbs, I had replaced all of the bulbs in my stamp room (I have canisters in the ceiling) with the Reveals and promptly changed them back. The light just didn't look right.

rocketgirl96 06-02-2006 07:03 AM

I have an OTT lite and love it! I just clamp it on to my desk and I can move the light part around. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had to replace the bulb. I don't know how expensive the bulbs are - I didn't really think about it when I bought it. ooops! Anyway, I don't have any experience with the reveal light bulbs but you might want to check and see how long they last. I do love my OTT!

JulieHRR 06-02-2006 07:05 AM

I have a "daylight" lamp, similar to OTT, I purchased off QVC a few years ago. I haven't had to replace the bulb yet, but no clue if they still sell this lamp there or not . . .

OTT has a rep for high quality, longevity. Many people swear by them. I don't think you can go wrong.

jacksonbelle 06-02-2006 07:08 AM

My mom bought me an OTT light for Christmas and I LOVE IT!!!!! It's hard to know how I ever stamped without it!

EllenH 06-02-2006 07:14 AM

If you are over 40 and need reading glasses the answer is a HUGE YES!!! You need an OTT light! What a difference it has made for these aging eyes :D

Palapala 06-02-2006 07:22 AM

Been tempted by the OTT on Joann's too. Was wondering if it throws off any heat? I have a regular clamp/desk light I swiped from my hubby :mrgreen: but it really heats up my area as I'm working. Great in the winter, but I've been dying lately. Will the OTT do this? thanks!

EllenH 06-02-2006 07:26 AM

It isn't hot at all - you have to put your hand right up under the bulb to feel any warmth whatsoever. I LOVE how the colors are so true under it as well!!!

annabelle1974 06-02-2006 07:26 AM

I have a daylight lamp that looks just like the OTT but cost me about 1/2. I have no idea of the brand but it cost me about 1/2 of an OTT. I also have an overhead light fixture with 3 Reveal bulbs in it. This amount of light works for me under any conditions. I had surgery last year and had many sleepless nights. The light was good enough for me to stamp even in the middle of the night. I also have a huge window over my stamp table which gives me lots of natural light. The only downside is I have to be aware not to leave stamps rubber up and exposed to the sunlight.

stamps&cars 06-02-2006 07:51 AM

I have a table top OTT light as well as a clamp light with the Reveal in it. The OTT is WAY better for true color. Sometimes, if my eyes are really tired, I just turn them both on to really light everything up. Have my OTT for 4 years and haven't changed the bulb yet. Purchased a bulb at Joann's when it was on sale for only $12.50 and have it handy, just in case! My mom has an OTT tabletop light that she has used really hard. When the bulb began to go, it seemed to get dimmer.

MaryEileen 06-02-2006 09:30 AM

I have an Ott large floor lamp with the magnifying glass. I never use the magnifier, but do use the lamp. I really like it. It's more than 7 years old, and I've never replaced the bulb.

I recently got a small model from Joann's for half price. It is more portable. My husband uses it when he works on his fishing reels. I use it for my manicures also. I'm over 60, and it makes it easier to see what I'm doing.
Eileen

ddietsch 06-02-2006 09:39 AM

I have two of the Daylight brand table lamps with magnifiers and am considering buying a floor lamp model - these are normally cheaper than OTT-Lites and I find them just as reliable. One is new, but the other I've used for over a year and haven't had any problems (or bulb change!).