Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   let's talk about the L Letterpress (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/lets-talk-about-l-letterpress-474930/)

cincistamper 01-06-2010 06:56 PM

let's talk about the L Letterpress

It's been so long since anyone has talked about the L Letterpress, I was worried that folks were having troubles with it. After test driving it today at Archivers, I decided to take the plunge (with my coupon in hand). After playing with it this evening, I'm very happy that I bought it. First off, I want to say that I got excellent results running it through my Cuttlebug. That means that the Big Kick I brought home from Michaels today, just in case, is probably going back.

Because I got an outline of ink around the image and words, I did remove the one shim that comes in it and that helped. I had excellent results with their ink, but also with chalk inks in cats eyes that I dabbed on. I love their paper--but again, had good results with some watercolor paper I had on hand. I don't know the brand because I bought it in bulk at Hollo's in Brunswick, Ohio.

I guess I just wish the accessory kits, with additional printing plates, weren't so expensive. Based on the material of them, they don't seem worth it, but I'd like some more images and fonts on the words.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has this machine.

Toni
in Ohio

pjw2855 01-06-2010 09:16 PM

Toni....I didn't purchase the machine. I just purchased the Starter Kit. It's basically the same as the multi-purpose platform for the BIGkick, but has a grid on it. I liked the idea of the grid and placing my paper and plates underneath the hinged surface.

I use the Colorbox inks to if I want color on the plates. I've used water color paper also, but do like the paper that can be purchased specifically for the Letterpress, seems just a bit thicker along with the matching envelopes.

I don't feel I need any shims to run the things through in my BIGkick, the debossing looks just fine without them.

I've purchased several of the image sets, but have used a coupon to do so. I'm not sure if I've seen all the images sets available, but did purchase one that is all block style font and one that is cursive font.

There are other threads on this subject that you may want to do a search for to read.

Patti

babydal57 01-07-2010 04:24 AM

I have also purchased the starter kit and a few sets (all with coupons). I haven't tried their ink yet as I've heard it's mess and difficult to clean off. But I have tried it with chalk ink and metallic inks and both worked fabulously.

I'm just waiting for my mojo to reappear so that I can get cranking in my studio again. Hopefully soon!!!

NancyK. 01-07-2010 10:55 AM

Is the starter kit at Michaels, JoAnns or Hobby Lobby? There is no Archivers around here and I really liked what I saw with the letter press!

wagleg 01-07-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK. (Post 15847394)
Is the starter kit at Michaels, JoAnns or Hobby Lobby? There is no Archivers around here and I really liked what I saw with the letter press!

Personally haven't seen it any of those stores. Although I'm hoping that HL will carry it soon. They seem to stock a lot of Quickutz stuff. My sister got my starter kit and plate sets at AC MOORE. They had them for 50% off.

cincistamper 01-07-2010 06:06 PM

Looking around on the L Letterpress website last night. Did you know that you can order a custom plate?! Six by eight inches of all the designs or words you want. There are instructions on the website about the software you must have . . .

leslierod 01-08-2010 12:58 PM

I'm so glad to hear that it works with the CB. I want to buy the letterpress, but I hate to spend on a new machine since I just purchased my CB. Did the letterpress feed through the machine just fine or did you have to modify it?

MadameCraftyPants 01-08-2010 01:52 PM

I used the L Let in my Cuttlebug with no problems. It is a tight fit, width-wise, but it went right through with no problems.

BabyNurse 01-08-2010 02:56 PM

So glad to hear

that it works with the Cuttlebug. I also have the Big Shot. I'm assuming it will work with that the same as a Big Kick? I haven't tried it out yet. How is everyone storing the plates?

BabyNurse 01-08-2010 03:07 PM

I just tried it and I can't get it to even go in my Cuttlebug, and it won't roll through the Big Shot. Any ideas?

babydal57 01-08-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyNurse (Post 15860657)
I just tried it and I can't get it to even go in my Cuttlebug, and it won't roll through the Big Shot. Any ideas?

Hmmmm.....I used it in my SU Big Shot with no trouble at all. Wish I could help.

cincistamper 01-08-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyNurse (Post 15860657)

Hello, babynurse :) I am a baby nurse, too!! But back to the subject. When you say that it won't fit in your cuttlebug, I'm guessing you mean width wise. Did you actually try gently pushing it into that opening?? It is a tight fit on mine, but it does work.

At Archivers, the lady told me that there are two types of cuttlebugs and that they have different sized openings. I don't remember ever hearing that, and if that were true, wouldn't they be selling different plates??

Once I push it just a little to start it, I do use the handle. I roll it through just beyond the plates and then I reverse it.

Good luck!! Try again and let us know how you do. Has anyone checked if there are any videos on youtube--besides the ones from L Letterpress, themselves?

cincistamper 01-08-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslierod (Post 15859817)
I'm so glad to hear that it works with the CB. I want to buy the letterpress, but I hate to spend on a new machine since I just purchased my CB. Did the letterpress feed through the machine just fine or did you have to modify it?

The only modification I made was to remove the sheet of paper that they call a packing sheet, I believe. I got an outline of ink around my image and words--and that disappeared when I removed that sheet.

BabyNurse 01-09-2010 06:15 AM

Tried it again with both machines and more questions

It still will not go through the Cuttlebug...it won't even go in. It did work in the Big Shot today. I took the packing sheet out of it.

I am wondering if eventually the cover sheet is going to bow up like the ones with the Big Shot and Cuttlebug. Also when you put the removeable adhesive sheet on the back of the plates, do you leave it on till it no longer sticks? How are you storing your plates, especially after you put the adhesive on them? Thanks.

pjw2855 01-09-2010 07:26 AM

I purchased the Starter Kit, paper and plates at AC Moore. I use the BIGkick with this and have great results. I am not a fan of the ink. I either use no ink or Colorbox or Chalk ink. Don't need any kind of shims either.

Patti

Sibilance7 01-09-2010 04:40 PM

I got my starter kit last night at Archiver's with a 30% off coupon. I ran a sample through my Cuttlebug, and it worked. I eventually want to get the Epic 6 because I heard that the impressions don't show through on the backside with it, while they did show on my Cuttlebug. But I'll want to see the Epic 6 demo'd before I can be positive that it will give the results I want. I'm just happy to be able to play right now with my Cuttlebug! I used my Speedball brayer, which is supposed to give much better results than the packaged brayer. I got very even coverage with the ink, so I'm sticking with the Speedball. I really want some more inks and plates now!

BabyNurse 01-10-2010 02:58 PM

Asking again

Do you have to put the repositionable adhesive on each time, or just when it won't stick any more? How are you storing the plates? They seem fragile, but may be stronger than I think. I haven't bought any more, just have the ones that came in the starter set. Thanks.

Sibilance7 01-10-2010 06:23 PM

I'm not even using their adhesive; I'm just using double-sided tape, and I do remove it each time. I haven't decided how to store the plated yet since I only have the one set that came with the starter kit. I'm thinking about putting Aileen's Tack it Over and Over on it and then sticking them in a CD case just like I do with acrylic stamps.

The problem I'm having is that it's very difficult to not get ink on the base of the plate, which results in stray ink on my paper. Even when I try to wipe it back off, it's difficult to get every little bit of it off, so I usually end up with a blemish. I guess I'll just have to practice more.

stampsinblue 01-15-2010 07:18 AM

I bought this just after Christmas and finally got a chance to try it out earlier this week. Before trying it, though, I did read a GREAT tutorial/tips on the Boxcar Press blog. I followed many of the tips & I thought I got some great results. I used my Speedball brayer (3"?, but I may get the wider one 6"? next time I am near Dick Blick Art store), made my own tabs to hold the paper in place, and I should mention that I didn't have any trouble with cracking plates (as has been mentioned in some reviews/blogs I read, and I ran the same set of plates thru 6-8 times).

I was nervous about cleanup, but I found that keeping a box of baby wipes nearby was all I needed. I even changed out ink colors part way thru. I also kept some paper towels handy for drying plates off between color changes (I didn't the first time and the plate was wet. The oil-based ink didn't want to stick well).

I will definitely be using double-sided tape instead of the supplied adhesive. On small images it just peels off or stays stuck behind on the carriage. On large (background) images, you have to be VERY careful not to break your image plate as you try to take it off (I ended up unsticking it using a spatula & going VERY slowly). Adhesive on the entire back of the backgrounds plates seems like overkill, I thought.

I had no issues using the ink they make. I used the black that comes in the Starter Kit and the bright green (which is BRIGHT. I am hoping to try mixing it with some other colors to find more of a moss or celery type color). I bought dark brown ink the other day, but haven't tried it out yet. My next colors will be white (to hopefully do some mixing0, red, and either teal blue or teal green (anyone have these & want to comment on differences??).

Boxcar Press makes plates you can use in the L Letterpress, as well. I think I read theirs are about $30 for a 5x8 plate. I think that's a better price than the L Letterpress website was offering (and theirs don't appear to quite be available for order yet).

Given my experience so far, I would say that if you love the letterpress look, but can't afford a real press (and don't have any real press experience anyway), this is a great alternative. I am using mine with the Sizzix Big Shot & got great impressions using the supplied paper.

cincistamper 01-21-2010 12:23 PM

L Letterpress

It was so good to come here today and read everyone's tips on using the L Letterpress. Even though I was able to get it through my Cuttlebug, it was a tight fit and since I'm experimenting with using "other things" for debossing, I decided to open the new Big Kick I bought. Much easier.

I have had excellent luck making letters for monogramming using the stencil material that is sold to cut in the Cricut!! I cut letters using the Plantin Schoolbook font. I made about 6 of the same letter and stacked them. This material also took the ink well.

I think I may also try shrinky dink material.

I bought some acrylic letters, made for scrapbooking at Michaels yesterday. They also go through, but it's a tighter fit (I guess they are a little thicker), so try this at your own risk :)

I'm going to check out the custom plates from Boxcar as suggested. I did email Lifestyle crafts and they said that their custom plates (to be ordered on their website) might be ready by late February or March. If you have the specified software on your own, I think you can order now.

Have fun, everyone. Has anyone put anything in the galleries yet??

cincistamper 01-21-2010 02:19 PM

Hey, Beth. I was wondering about ordering custom items from Boxcar Press. Has anyone done that yet? I got a little overwhelmed reading their instructions, but I'm going to go over it with my IT guy (hubby). I'd love to have some custom words and images.

pjw2855 01-24-2010 08:13 AM

I have a question for any of you ladies who have purchased the Letterpress Starter Kit. I purchased mine from my local AC Moore store a few months ago.

In all the videos and even in the manual included in the kit there is a black square pad that you spread the ink out on with the brayer. I didn't get a black pad. I got a clear one. I'm just wondering if it's the same thing or if it should be black and perhaps a different texture. Mine is very smooth as if it is a somewhat thick piece of plexiglass or acrylic.

What kind/color of inking pad did any of you get in your Starter Kit?

Thanks for any responses.

Patti

Anita R 01-24-2010 06:09 PM

My block for the ink is clear.

I have purchased Adobe Illustrator software, and I am learning to use it so I can design custom plates for the L Letterpress. I am no artist. I will purchase images (Illustrator symbols and brushes) and use them and text to make designs.

Anita

auntiebeanie 01-24-2010 07:09 PM

Thank you ladies for all the info and tips re:the L Letterpress. I like the results I see at the store on display and it sounds as if you willl get the same results at home! Thanks for the great tips on using the cuttlebug and bigshot I do have them. I will wait for this week coupon and take the plunge! I am so excited! AB

pjw2855 01-25-2010 03:18 AM

Ladies.....I love the results of using the Letterpress. The only issue I have is cleaning the ink from the plates, inking pad and brayer. It does not come off cleanly/completly. I didn't purchase the specific cleaner and will be going back to the store to make that purchase today. Nothing else I've tried will remove the oil based ink that is used.

Patti

catxnmks 01-25-2010 06:58 AM

Love my L! I use my Big Shot and have had no problems--no broken or cracked plates. I use double-sided tape to adhere plates. I use GooGone for cleanup--it works great. I then follow up with wipes. My ink plate is clear plexi.(By the way, I bought an 18'" x 24" plexi glass at Home Depot for less than $20. My husband is going to cut it into smaller pieces.) I also used all those great tips from Boxcarpress. I bought a Slice spatula to mix ink and to help remove plates. I just can't wait to get more plates. I wish they would have come out with some plates for Valentines day.

pjw2855 01-25-2010 08:57 AM

catxnmks....Can I private message you on the Letterpress product? I could use the opinions of someone who has used it. I have but not with the oil based ink.

Patti

miiszchelly 04-23-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sibilance7 (Post 15867893)
I eventually want to get the Epic 6 because I heard that the impressions don't show through on the backside with it, while they did show on my Cuttlebug.

Can anyone verify that using the Epic 6 doesn't show the impression on the backside? Would really like to know before I make my purchase!

Sibilance7 04-23-2010 11:05 AM

I haven't purchased one yet, so I don't know for sure, but I did see impressions on the back on the samples they had at Archiver's, so that makes me suspicious. If you have an Archiver's near you, you might be able to have them give you a demonstration on the Epic 6 before you buy it.

miiszchelly 04-26-2010 07:57 AM

I'm curious to know if real letterpresses show the impression on the backside. I suppose it all depends on the paper. I don't have an Archiver's near me :( I'll just keep researching and asking around :)

pjw2855 04-26-2010 11:53 AM

I can't verify anything using the Epic 6 machine.

I used my BIGkick and the Letterpress Starter Kit. I also used the Letterpress paper which is a rather thick soft paper. It comes in white or cream.

I have nothing showing on the back of the paper from the impressions made. Back of paper is nice and smooth.

If you try to use some other kind of paper, I would suspect you would get the impression on the back of the paper.

I prefer using the Letterpress paper.

Patti

Vickie Y 05-08-2010 07:07 AM

Subbing so I can come back with questions if I need to ask! I'm planning to get the starter kit today on sale at HL. :)

phunkymama 05-08-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miiszchelly (Post 16578395)
I'm curious to know if real letterpresses show the impression on the backside. I suppose it all depends on the paper. I don't have an Archiver's near me :( I'll just keep researching and asking around :)

Yes, real letterpress SHOULD have an impression on the back side.

Just as, in reverse, real engraving is raised on the front, slightly debossed on the back. The debossing on the back is generally a "cloud" around the text or image, not a sharp reverse of the printing itself.

I learned a LOT when I managed a Crane's stationery store ;)

NancyK. 05-31-2010 02:31 PM

I played with my Letterpress stuff again this weekend (my first try in April did not go so well).
My results were much better this time around. I have some questions for those of you who have used it more than me..
1. Just how long does it take this ink to dry? Even after an hour the impression I made (I used the background plate from Everyday Blossoms) was still a bit tacky. Can you heat set this ink?
2. I'd like to get their white ink and try it on different colored cards stock from either SU or Papertrey. Has anyone tried the white on non Letterpress paper?

Here is the card I made this weekend. The smudges on the sentiment are from me handling the piece before it was dry.

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=46144
And notes about this card are on my blog post here:
http://www.seasidecreativity.com/?p=1496

Would love to hear from anyone with more updates on their experiences. thanks!

ctorina 05-31-2010 07:24 PM

Nancy, I just used my Letterpress this weekend to make some Save The Date cards for a friend. I used the letterpress paper and ink and it dries almost right away. Maybe you are rolling to much ink on the plates. You only need a little bit. Are you using the Epic? I really think it makes a difference, I know they say you can use them in other machines, but I really feel you get the best impression from the Epic. You said on you blog that you don't use their adhesive or foam guides, I made thirty cards in a row and mine stayed in place for all thirty cards.

ctorina 05-31-2010 07:32 PM

Here is a Christmas card I made, I just wanted to show you the clean and crisp impression I got. http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...&ppuser=156733

scrappychica 05-31-2010 07:49 PM

bump

NancyK. 06-01-2010 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctorina (Post 16779803)
Nancy, I just used my Letterpress this weekend to make some Save The Date cards for a friend. I used the letterpress paper and ink and it dries almost right away. Maybe you are rolling to much ink on the plates. You only need a little bit. Are you using the Epic? I really think it makes a difference, I know they say you can use them in other machines, but I really feel you get the best impression from the Epic. You said on you blog that you don't use their adhesive or foam guides, I made thirty cards in a row and mine stayed in place for all thirty cards.

Cathleen - thanks so much for sharing your experiences! I did not think I was using alot of ink, but I guess I was!
I'm so glad you had better luck with their foam guides. I'd like to make a batch of xmas cards with letterpress and the foam guides would be a great help.

By the way - I LOVE your christmas card - it is stunning!

pjw2855 06-01-2010 05:50 AM

I found you need a very thin coating of ink on the plates. The silver does take a bit longer to dry since it is a metalic, but the others do dry very quickly when used sparingly.

I found the grid on the surface to be a better guide for placing my paper and plates. The foam mounts just were to flimsy for me.

I love the look of the impression on the letterpress paper. It's just a different look than the embossing which I also like. That's why there is variety to choose from!

The letterpress inks are also very vibrant too.

Patti

crazystampchick 06-01-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincistamper (Post 15843078)
It's been so long since anyone has talked about the L Letterpress, I was worried that folks were having troubles with it. After test driving it today at Archivers, I decided to take the plunge (with my coupon in hand). After playing with it this evening, I'm very happy that I bought it. First off, I want to say that I got excellent results running it through my Cuttlebug. That means that the Big Kick I brought home from Michaels today, just in case, is probably going back.

Because I got an outline of ink around the image and words, I did remove the one shim that comes in it and that helped. I had excellent results with their ink, but also with chalk inks in cats eyes that I dabbed on. I love their paper--but again, had good results with some watercolor paper I had on hand. I don't know the brand because I bought it in bulk at Hollo's in Brunswick, Ohio.

I guess I just wish the accessory kits, with additional printing plates, weren't so expensive. Based on the material of them, they don't seem worth it, but I'd like some more images and fonts on the words.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has this machine.

Toni
in Ohio

Really? I could not even get mine to fit in it. Huh, I'll have to try again.