Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a cutter

I need help choosing a new cutter. I've done a search and read comments already posted. Well, several recommended ones are at Staples and I have Staples Rewards to redeem and a budget to keep, SO, I'd like to get one at Staples as long as it's a decent cutter.

Fiskars SureCut was recommended but I had sworn off Fiskars a while back. Is this one better than the old ones?

I have a Making Memories Precision Trimmer that I liked, but the blade is knicked so it's no longer cutting well. It has always been difficult to cut small pieces so I'm not going to get another one even thought it was a good trimmer.

I'd like to stay under $100 and preferably lower. But I insist on a straight cut. Fiskars always gave me fits with their imperfect cuts.

I see online that Staples has Fiskars, Xacto, Westcott, Tonic, Carl, and Purple Cow. The problem is I know many of you recommend some of these like Tonic or Carl, but there are several options including very inexpensive ones to very expensive. So, within a brand are there ones to avoid or ones to specifically go for? If you could be specific as to which cutter you recommend, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am really hoping to get the new Stampin' Up one. It is not available yet but everything I have read and seen, I like it so far!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have a inexpensive paper cutter that I have had for 10 years plus! I believe I purchased it at Office Max (that is our closest office supply store where I live!) The brand on it says GBC. My cuts are clean & crisp. I know a lot of SCS have some very expensive cutters but I can't see spending that much when I get good results with what I have!!! It is a guillotine cutter, which is what I prefer. It has a self sharpening blade. Hope this helps!

Good luck in finding a paper cutter that will meet your needs! I know decisions, decisions!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Have a large Fiskars cutter & various CM ones. Purchased the SU one ~ a yr ago...LOVE IT. Rarely use any of the others. Very compact for its versatility.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have meade 100's of cards with a Fiskars rotary paper trimmer (made in the USA) since 1998 including 200 wedding invitations for my daughters wedding.. I have replaced many blades and cutting mats. I still use it when I stamp away from home. For Christmas and my birthday.....sigh, just a few days apart.......my husband knocked my socks off with a Genesis trimmer. I am just amazed at this tool and for once, did not mind my Christmas, birthday together gift. Even now, when I use it, I can hardly believe he did that! But I will never part with the Fiskars until I can no longer find blades or mats for it. I hope you find the perfect one for happy stamping. Jeanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought MANY paper cutters trying to find a reliable one. My favorite is the Tonic 12". It is on sale at JoAnn for $32.99, I think, or if regular price use the code QRT232 for 50% off of the $54.99 (?) regular price. (ordered one on sale for a friend who doesn't have a computer (kids). With shipping, it was under $40.00)

My favorite smaller paper cutter is the Fiskars 9" guillitone one. (The Tonic is also) This is the one I have in my crafting area for smaller trimming and in my workshop bag. It is the only Fiskars cutter I would recommend - I have own many others that I have donated or have shoved in a closet because of slicing myself trying to replace a blade so can't give away with that in mind.

I prefer the guillitone style because I can make finer cuts. The paper holder thing on the rotary style cutters get in the way. (can't hold narrow paper trying to trim another sliver off)

Good luck on you search.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Tonic Studios guillotine cutters are the best. Although they are bulkier than rotary or sliding blade cutters, they are self-sharpening and never need a blade change. Their customer service is top-notch too - I had a faulty "arm" that doesn't give a clean cut and Tonic Studios replaced it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. The Tonic customer service is great! The arm of my cutter wouldn't stay up after lifting it from the cut paper so I called customer service and described my problem to the rep. He said it sounded like the spring had broken - it's in an area covered by the 'shell'. He had a new cutter sent and didn't ask me to return the one I had. He said just throw that one out. The replacement came quickly so I only had to use my cutter in the broken condition a few days. Had to continue crafting, right?

Talked this paper cutter up to my crafting friends and several of them bought it. They all agree that this one is better than the ones they had been using.

There is also a narrow one that might work if you have a space issue in your crafting area and it is also on sale but I don't know how much. Just check JoAnn online store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default A zillion suggestions, huh?

I asked the same question years ago and have so many cutters. Bu t I exclusively have been using FisKars with a 6 1/4" plate and an extended arm that goes tom 12". I has more measurement others.ends, with 1/4" full length lines. The flip up cutting guide is transparent but has measurements. I saw Kathy Orta use one on her You Tube and love that the surface has a larger measured surface than others.

As for the guillotine I got the xacto style that had a removable sliding paper guide that gives you accuracy of when cutting several pages. Start trying different ones. Use coupons!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Tonic: 12" large base guillotine & 12" push blade
you can't beat the customer service---they really stand by their products

It’s weird being the same age as old people.

Reply With Quote Likes