Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Tool & Product Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/)
-   -   ink Blending Foam (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/tool-product-talk-128/ink-blending-foam-488159/)

pSaMuse 04-18-2010 10:05 PM

ink Blending Foam

What type of foam is it? I am looking for a cheaper alternative. Any suggestions? I have heard that the makeup foam absorbs a lot of the ink......

jazzytobi 04-18-2010 10:12 PM

i don't do cheap because the ones that cost a little more last longer. I use both sponge daubers and tim holtz's ink distressing pads and applicator.

Sheena74 04-19-2010 08:14 AM

Here is something relatively inexpensive made by Ranger. Cut-N-Dry Stamp pad foam it is
8X10 sheet you have to cut down and it costs about 5 dollars.

I used this for about 1 year before buying the Ranger ink blending tool and applicators and still use it some today because I can get the sheet locally and cut it down to the size I want or need. I really don't know the real purpose of this product- well at least the foam version- they do make something almost identical except it is felt and I know it is for making your own ink pads.

I Love all Ranger products...Wish I had everything but can't afford that yet,lol.

I have heard of using makeup sponges but never tried that since I own several packages of this foam.

Sheena

gargyrle55 04-19-2010 09:12 AM

Can you wash the distressing pads like you can the regular sponges?

cat_woman 04-19-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74 (Post 16534556)
...I really don't know the real purpose of this product- well at least the foam version- they do make something almost identical except it is felt and I know it is for making your own ink pads.

The foam is also to make ink pads. You can also use the denser foam side, heat it with a heat gun, and "stamp" an impression into it and you will have a reverse image of your stamp. I used it to make my own inkspots with the SU ink refills.

As for blending sponges. I have used makeup sponges, but what I find works well for me for regular inks (I haven't gotten into the alcohol inks yet) is I wrap a piece of fun foam around my index finger and use that to sponge with. I also read that you can glue a piece of the hook&loop tape (Hook side) to a wood block then attach a piece of craft felt to that and use for blending alcohol inks.

TeeGeeDee 04-19-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74 (Post 16534556)
Here is something relatively inexpensive made by Ranger. Cut-N-Dry Stamp pad foam it is
8X10 sheet you have to cut down and it costs about 5 dollars.

I used this for about 1 year before buying the Ranger ink blending tool and applicators and still use it some today because I can get the sheet locally and cut it down to the size I want or need. I really don't know the real purpose of this product- well at least the foam version- they do make something almost identical except it is felt and I know it is for making your own ink pads.

I Love all Ranger products...Wish I had everything but can't afford that yet,lol.

I have heard of using makeup sponges but never tried that since I own several packages of this foam.

Sheena

I was told once that the felt pads are for making your own "inkpads" for dye-based inks and the foams sheets are for craft/pigment "inkpads".

I use self-adhesive felt on a kids' toy block for my alcohol inks. I just tear it off and apply a fresh piece when it gets too icky or I wnat to change colors (I only have a few blocks but I don't use AI too often since my FIL complains about the smell and I have to craft in our D/R.)

pSaMuse 04-19-2010 07:45 PM

hmmmmm...... sounds like I have some experimenting to do!

pSaMuse 04-19-2010 07:55 PM

To clarify... I found this
http://what-a-beautiful-mess.blogspo...1_archive.html

and will be making some of my own in the very near future... I was thinking of what the Foam is so that I could save money. I mean it could not have been created JUST for this, KWIM?

Ronijj 04-20-2010 02:44 PM

Seriously there is no substitution for the Ink Blending Foams. The foam is unique and you just can't get the same look with other types of foams (cut & dry, make-up sponges, etc.) I have used it since before it came out and it is THE BEST... It has been my favorite tool (IBT & Foam) since I got my hands on it. I use it all the time...as you can see on my blog...Ink Stains - IBT

You have far more control using a blending tool & foam that you do with other sponge materials for a smoother finished look.

Waltzingmouse 04-20-2010 03:11 PM

I've been using all sorts of foams but I just discovered stencil brushes, they soak up less ink, blending is smoother and more even and my paws don't get inky!! LOL, I think they are fab. I use Tim Holtz distress inks quite a bit and will be ditching the foam!! HTH!

Alicesue 04-23-2010 12:34 PM

Looks like the homemade applicator and cut-n-dry foam is a good sub. Depends on whether you want to experiment and see what kind of result you get. The stencil brushes seems like a good idea, too. Different effects (strokes) for different 'fects (folks.) It's fun just to see what comes of trying different things. Might be that ALL of these ideas are great and worthwhile.

pSaMuse 04-23-2010 12:40 PM

stencil brushes? please explain!

Alicesue 04-23-2010 02:35 PM

pSaMuse,

Stencil brushes are for painting on stencils. They are a stiff bristle, short-hair brush. Come in different sizes. If you Google 'stencil brush' and go to 'images', you'll see them. I'm sure, once you see a picture, it'll be self explanatory.

jeffnval 06-10-2010 11:39 AM

Oh yes...I would like to learn more about the stencil brushes!!!

I LOVE my Tim Holtz Inking tool but get discourage b/c the foam keep getting ruined when I peel them off to change out the color of sponge. I don't have the space to keep one tool for every color.

Valerie

Sheena74 06-11-2010 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnval (Post 16836749)

I LOVE my Tim Holtz Inking tool but get discourage b/c the foam keep getting ruined when I peel them off to change out the color of sponge. I don't have the space to keep one tool for every color.

Valerie

This is the main reason I started using the foam sheets made by ranger- the tool is good but the velcro foam pads tear too easily for me.

Sheena

jeffnval 06-11-2010 10:22 AM

Sheena,
Are you talking about the "Cut N Dry" foam sheets?
Valerie

asuncionshija 06-11-2010 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnval (Post 16836749)

Valerie

Two things -
First, if your blue stuff is peeling off the foam pads contact Ranger for a replacement. They have excellent CS and this was a known problem. Second, the best way to remove the pads from the tool is to wedge your fingernail under the blue part (between the blue & the velcro) and gently pull up. Once you get a little corner up you can pinch more foam/blue backing stuff & keep from hurting the foamy part.

I personally have a foam pad for each color of DI (and I have them all ;) ) and found that the best way for me to store them is to use a sticky velcro dot (found at WalMart in the sewing sections) on the bottom of each ink pad. When I'm done using that color I just slap it on the bottom of the case & put it back on the shelf.
You can wash the foam, but you'll never get all the color out. Like clear stamps - they will stain but will also work just fine. Unless you forget to wash it - then you might get 'interesting' color combos! :D Before I had enough foam pads I used one per every two colors. Like, the light purple on one end & the dark on the other. Certainly cuts down on how many you need.
As for Cut 'n Dry, my understanding is that the foam is the same stuff. Just a little more difficult to control (due to size, no tool, etc) in tight spaces. Tim explained once that the grey side is more useful for applying paint - it more 'pushes' the color around than blends or absorbs it. Foam side is excellent for blending (especially with paint on larger areas) or making your own ink pads.
Whew! :D