Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tim Holtz watercolor cardstock vs. other brands

I am wondering if anyone can comment on the difference between Tim Holtz's watercolor cardstock and other brands, such as Strathmore (and I know Strathmore has several "levels" of quality). I have Strathmore's mixed media cards, which are good for stamping and stuff like Gelli printing.

I'm leaning toward WC cards because the Distress Markers and Crayons would work on them. Some brands of cardstock, you can't get the media to "move" even if you add water.

If you have a particular brand of cards you like, even if it's not the above, please feel free to jump in!

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I really love the Fabriano 5x7 cold press blocks. They are friendly with any water medium and if I cut them in half it's a nice size for a card front. I get the extra white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks! Haven't tried any Fabriano products yet.
I'm not sure I understand what size you end up with when you cut them in half. I guess that depends on which way the cut is made? I'm guessing 2.5" x 3.5", like an ATC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I really love the Fabriano 5x7 cold press blocks. They are friendly with any water medium and if I cut them in half it's a nice size for a card front. I get the extra white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I use the Strathmore mixed media for watercolors and gelli printing. Haven't tried any others because it's always worked for me.

I do have some Ranger brand that I purchased a while back, prior to finding Strathmore, it's good too-I just haven't used it.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care for Tim Holtz on most watecoloring. It usually pills on me. Probably due to being lighter weight....I think 118#.Most wc paper 140#. I like the higher end Canson.
I also started using a hot press wc paper with detailed stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am learning too.

WC paper varies a lot in quality and price. I am using Canson XL a lot-it is like student grade and Blick will have great sales on it. I have some better quality for times I feel more confident about what I am doing.

I *think* one thing people liked about the Distress WC paper is that it matches Neenah solar white pretty well? Or am I confused on that?

Anyway...I suggest joining Blick online so you get sale notices because some papers they only have online.

My dumb bunny move was I cut several kinds into postcards and stuck them into the WC section of my postcards....um, now I have no idea which is which. duh.

Kristina Werner did a post on types of WC paper I thought was very easy to follow:

Cardstocks & Watercolor Papers: My favorites & when to use them ? kwernerdesign blog

Lydia's choice is lovely but too expensive for me right now as a beginner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 04:46 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

PS: Which medium you are using may matter. And to avoid pilling I see people using their heat gun to dry along the way so the paper never gets super soaked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

LadyinBlack, Tim Holtz and Ranger watercolor CS are the same, just different sizes. I really like that they have both a smooth and a textured side, and are very white. I use them for watercolors, Zig Clean Color Real Brushes, "swooshing" paper into watercolors/Distress inks, etc., if not using lots of water and repeatedly working the paper, because they will pill eventually. I first used it in a card workshop where it was provided.

I find Strathmore difficult to work, plus it's more cream colored. Midway through a 6-week sketching/watercolor class I ran out of Canson's so used Strathmore and suddenly couldn't move colors well. I thought it was my lack of skill, but when I switched back could comfortably do the exercise. But some people like it and we all have a different touch and get used to different papers.

I have a 9x12 Fabriano cold press block and like it a lot but when I want an absolutely smooth surface I wander back to Ranger. (In general cold press watercolor paper is not silky smooth.)

Most brands have different qualities and weights. I'd stick to 140 pound for heavier mixed media.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I've had some pilling with the bristol paper too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I don't care for Tim Holtz on most watecoloring. It usually pills on me. Probably due to being lighter weight....I think 118#.Most wc paper 140#. I like the higher end Canson.
I also started using a hot press wc paper with detailed stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post
I've had some pilling with the bristol paper too.
Yes, ultimately all paper will pill, since it's paper. ; ) That's not to say heavy duty mixed media paper and some high quality watercolor paper won't take much longer to pill.

I think part of it is knowing ourselves - how light or heavy handed we are with wet medium/water, and if it varies by technique. I know when going to town with water Tim/Ranger is not the right choice, but when doing light applications it's great. Maybe that's similar for your Bristol. I haven't tried it but keep meaning to.
Reply With Quote Likes